• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it have enough power to theoretically run all games at 4K 60FPS?

• Yes

Votes: 85 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 456 45.0%
  • Yes, but it will depend on each game/developer

Votes: 472 46.6%

• Total voters

ATOMICJORGE

Oct 25, 2017
Pj8XyI4.png

These are the specs of the Xbox Series X console (not final) do you think the console will be able to run all of the games at 4K 60FPS?

I know that it will depend on each game/developer and what they want to achieve but theoretically does the console have enough power to be able to do it?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
No, but mostly because this isn't really a question we can answer. Some devs will decide they dont need 60fps for their particular game and thus use the extra resources afforded by 30fps. Some may off the option...

But like you said yourself, its up to the dev and games vary so wildly that its impossible to tell if all games will be 4K/60.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$2000 gaming PCs can't guarantee 4K 60 FPS in games that are just coming out now. Granted, consoles are a little different in terms of power translating over 1:1, but they can't defy the laws of physics and economics to that degree.

So, no.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
every time this question gets asked, and every time a similar question is asked about any future hardware, the answer for the foreseeable future will always be "no", because until a machine provides infinite compute power it will always be possible to demand so much from the system that it can't handle running at 60fps

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I think we're going to see a lot more 60fps games next gen. There are a number of reasons for this.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
every time this question gets asked, and every time a similar question is asked about any future hardware, the answer for the foreseeable future will always be "no", because until a machine provides infinite compute power it will always be possible to demand so much from the system that it can't handle running at 60fps

This.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Yes*

*But remember, consoles will almost always prioritize graphics over framerate

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
A pc with a thousand plus 2080 ti card can't run every game maxed out at 4K, but that doesn't mean it, or the new consoles, won't have plenty of amazing graphics, some 4K, some reconstructed. FWIW playing Control @ reconstructed 4K with ray tracing turned on looked more amazing than most bait I've 4K titles I've played

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
It will be able to do it often enough, like how 1080p30 was frequent enough on ps4, something like that.

VRS will help a decent bit when it starts becoming standard in every game and dev can configure the graphic settings to get there now that it's not CPU bound. There is nothing you can do to get more frames if you are CPU bound beside rethinking the scope of the game or something like that. You can make plenty of compormises on graphics to get the desirable target if you want and this console has enough grunt to get there. You don't need full res shadows or post process effects on consoles, it's not as obvious as on a monitor in your face.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Nope and I can't wait to see the incredible games that will push this system to struggle to even hit 4k at 30 FPS.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This question really is a fundamental misunderstanding of how developers use the power in the systems.

^^

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's wild that the most popular answer to this poll is any variation of "yes." y'all are setting yourself up for disappointment big time.

of course not. but its likely this gen that more games will run at 60fps than before, so that's cool.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any game can run 4K @ 60fps if compromised enough, but I think what you are asking if games can do that with the equivalent graphical settings of the PC version set on Ultra/Highest/Max?

I hope so? But X to doubt.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Devs will want to push the limits of the graphics. So no. They could run Pong on these things at 8k, 120 fps if they wanted to.

Hopefully previous gen games were built with better hardware in mind though, those should enjoy better framerates and resolution if capable.

Last edited:

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
This question doesn't really make sense. The current systems are capable of running games at 4K/ 60fps, but devs typically prioritize other things over resolution and frame rate. And if they wanted a dev could create a game that a crazy super-PC could only run at 1080/30.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Personally if they really want the "4K", it'd prefer they do checkerboarding instead of native.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry, Ps4 and Xbox One is where the 1080p/60fps will be the target!
Oh it wasn't?
Oh this same thread happens every gen and will for eternity?
But maybe this time will be different, 4k/60 it is!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
4k/60 on consoles has meant and will continue to mean 4k-ish(Dynamic res, reconstruction, checkerboarding, etc) / 60 sometimes (If the games are less demanding, if other things are turned down, if the dev chooses to make 60 the target).

This gen isn't going to change that. No gen has. Don't fall for the hype. Doesn't mean games won't still look great.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You know they will crank everything up so in 2 years you won't even have native 4k games anymore. 60fps is a dev choice. But I think most games will have performance modes, not always 4K though, I wouldn't count on it.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No at least not on the higher settings we typically expect from new gens, if they stuck with One X type graphics then probably but remember its a balance between higher graphical fidelity and frame rate/resolution

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the majority of triple A releases will be 4k60.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all dependent on the graphical tech behind a game. If it is utilizing bleeding edge graphics with ray tracing then the game probably won't even run at 4K.

Hell I can run DARIUSBURST at 8K 60FPS on my computer. But I don't advertise it to people as being able to do 8K60FPS.

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
I expect 4k 60 to be pretty common, but not a guarantee. It's really not a crazy target. I think most are using 4k 60 at max settings as a reference point, which is silly.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
As always, it depends on the game and the developer. Most devs i believe will push for graphical fidelity of performance some may give you the option but again that depends on the game and the dev in question.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Yes, but it will depend on each game/developer" is a weird option. It's not a yes or no thing at all. Like, what?

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
For the most part devs will always choose to run at 30fps and make the game look nicer than run at 60fps. We're to blame. We put far more weight into how a game looks over how smooth it plays.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Pj8XyI4.png

These are the specs of the Xbox Series X console (not final) do you think the console will be able to run all of the games at 4K 60FPS?

I know that it will depend on each game/developer and what they want to achieve but theoretically does the console have enough power to be able to do it?
Are they the official specs?