• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
it's March and that game is about to soar in price from now on so I was wondering whether the ports are good enough to make the purchase worth it, in the case I'd like to revisit those in the future, so here some questions

do they look well?
do they run fluidly?
are there known bugs? (do the Sunshine bugs made it into the port?)
does it feel right to play them with a Switch Pro controller?
do they look well in handheld mode?

if you played them in their original hardwares and then again on the Switch, please give impressions here!

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
- They all look great, though many of Sunshine's pre-rendered cutscenes were sloppily cropped to get the 16:9 aspect ratio which isn't too pretty.

- They all run well, though again, Sunshine could have (and should have) been given a boost to 60 FPS, though in fairness, it holds the 30 FPS target flawlessly.

- No major bugs that weren't in the original releases. Once more, Sunshine gets the worst of it here as it was always the roughest of the three in that department, but you're able to complete the games without issue and they all look and run well.

- While Super Mario 64 feels fantastic on the Pro pad, Sunshine can take a bit of adjustment due to the lack of analogue triggers. That said, it is something you'll get used to fairly quickly. Galaxy is a bit of an awkward time on the Pro pad as there was no effort made to translate Star Bit collection to the sticks, so you're forced to use motion controls for it and it never feels all that natural. Of course, it IS a Wii port and other functions, like Mario's spins, have been given proper button implementation so that motion controls aren't required, but Star Bit collection and sub-menu navigation are, frustratingly, still going to require pointer controls when docked, with touch screen controls being required when playing handheld.

- They all look and perform great in handheld mode, though again, expect to be using the touch screen when playing Galaxy.

All told, they're really faithful ports, but many would argue that they're faithful to a fault. Where improvements could have been made (such as Super Mario 64 getting a 16:9 mode, Sunshine getting a boost to 60 FPS along with camera improvements and bug fixes and Galaxy having motion controls made entirely optional in favor of proper button and stick functions for the entire experience), they mostly weren't. It's clear that Nintendo saw these ports as a quick and dirty way to bring these games to the Switch with the full $60 price tag in tow, and the artificial scarcity worked wonders in pressuring folks to snap it up while the getting is good. If you're hoping for the ultimate versions of these games, you may be left wanting more. You're getting three incredible games (yeah, you heard me, Sunshine haters), mostly as they were when originally released, though with a higher resolution presentation and the ability to enjoy them portably. If that sounds like something you're good with, absolutely snag the collection. If you wanted or expected more, the original games on their original hardware will always be there; certainly longer than March 31st, 2021.

Last edited:

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Theyre fine. Just that. Not good, just fine. They are there with no bugs and overpriced with Nintendo's artificially created demand to tempt you to buy it.

Galaxy still plays best on the Wii. Looks amazing @4K on Dolphin but requires setup.

Sunshine is still best on dolphin with the 60fps mods and textures.

Super Mario 64 is better on PC with the UE4 port and 60fps + Mods.

Switch is the more painless, comfy and overpriced way to get it.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The PC version of SM64 is the definitive way to play that game.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
they are the most optimized legal versions of the games, I guess?

as previously stated, all the emulated versions look and play way better @ 60FPS, especially SM64

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64's PC port is the way to go.

Sunshine is better with a GCN controller in Dolphin, same for Galaxy with a Wii remote and sensor bar on Dolphin.

But the Switch versions are close and perfectly good upgrades from the originals, with the exception of some color issues on the visuals for Galaxy.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Galaxy yes, Mario 64 and Sunshine no. You can play both of these at 60 FPS 16:9 on PC.

EDIT: If you're excluding emulation... then they are still not the definitive versions, since they also run under an emulator.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are nothing grander compared to the original, Mario 64 has better quality textures, sunshine and galaxy are higher quality than the originals.
They are the definitive way to play them, since you asked for original hardware and the switch, and not emulators.
Mario 64's PC port is the way to go.

Sunshine is better with a GCN controller in Dolphin, same for Galaxy with a Wii remote and sensor bar on Dolphin.

But the Switch versions are close and perfectly good upgrades from the originals, with the exception of some color issues on the visuals for Galaxy.
GCN controller use, analog triggers and all, was patched in sunshine switch version.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 64 needs an octagonal gate like the n64 controller to feel right. It took me way too long to adapt to it not having it and levels that give me zero issues in a real n64 had me making weird turns and falling off ledges. It could also be the short throw in the switch sticks though as I played the game emulated years ago on a ps3 controller of all things and didn't have any issues then either.

Sunshine seemed fine to me, though there are minor emulation issues that introduce new glitches at times.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy, yes.

Sunshine, there's some rare frame pacing issues in the hub but for the most of the part it's still just as good, if not better of a way to experience the game, after they patched some stuff about it.

64, it's the Shindou edition, so if you're the type of person who has fun doing backward long jumps it's an inferior way to play, but that's more of a niche preference.

As far as "legal" ways to play, then yeah, they're the best versions.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd lean toward yeah, I do like some Wii U ports better on Wii U for example but overall the minimal changes make this easier to recommend.

Galaxy I'm kind of meh on though, I really hate how you have to constantly re-center the pointer. A pain in other games that have to emulate it like Captain Toad and especially Pikmin 3 as well.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For Mario 64, the PC port is the best version.

Also, I'm going to be nitpicky: Technically the PC version isn't an emulator. It's a source port, running natively.

Last edited:

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Sunshine looks and plays great, but might feel weird lacking analog triggers; I think I've read about GC pad support though, but don't quote me on that!

Galaxy looks awesome and is still a joy to play, but I really really disliked the constant need for recalibration of the gyro/pointer, which wasn't a thing in the original game thanks to the different way the wiimote worked; having said that, it's a fantastic port and basically the only way to play the game in HD without owning a PC with Dolphin.

Jun 2, 2019
Yes, they are the definitive version, oficially at least

You can play Galaxy as intended by using the separated joycons, Sunshine is compatible with the Gamecube controller by using an adapter and Mario 64 is basically perfect.

I think I've read about GC pad support though, but don't quote me on that!

It was added in an update, along with camera axis inversion

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually much prefer the pro controller for Sunshine over the gamecube, it really showed just how pointless the pressures other than full blast and max pressure while moving were lol, though it does have some weird occasional stutters. I also prefer Galaxy with a pro controller and gyro over the Wii version. Can't really speak to 64 as I've never played it on a 64.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely yes. For all the criticism this release got, the games themselves play super well.

OP
OP
Sphinx

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
yeah I meant on original hardware by the way. there's no need for a thread to ask about performance on PC emulation, it's obvious.

I have a OSSC and I can play Sunshine and Galaxy on their original hardware using original controllers, they look well but of course not really HD, so I was wondering whether the switch versions have that modern look plus good controls but the thread seems very lukewarm about the collection... I don't feel compelled to buy the 3D all stars collection after scrolling through the replies.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I meant on original hardware by the way. there's no need for a thread to ask about performance on PC emulation, it's obvious.

I have a OSSC and I can play Sunshine and Galaxy on their original hardware using original controllers, they look well but of course not really HD, so I was wondering whether the switch versions have that modern look plus good controls but the thread seems very lukewarm about the collection... I don't feel compelled to buy the 3D all stars collection after scrolling through the replies.
Honestly a lot of ppl are lukewarm on 3d all stars because of what it's not instead of what it is, since we were hoping for bigger improvements all around.
For what they are, the game is pretty great, and for me at least, better to play than on original hardware for the three of them, even if there are some noticable small downgrades, such as sunshine cropped cutscenes and galaxy pointer needing to re-click on the r button to setup the pointer on the middle of the screen.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
No doubt.

64 is mostly as is. Those are some sharp polygons on display. But some textures stand out as particularly muddy in HD (Bowser in the Dark World). Still, it's better than SD over AV cables so even if not by much, it's still better.

Sunshine is now wide-screen and upscale looks not too bad at all. The jank is still there in all its glory. The pro controller doesn't support analog FLUDD control but I never really felt the utility of that anyway so it was no loss to me and in fact preferably not be able to run and spray without accidentally pinning myself because I squeezed a little too hard. If you still want analog FLUDD you can always use a GC controller.

Galaxy. Now this is definitive with purpose. Upscaled it looks fantastic. The waggle is mapped to the Y button. The gyro cursor is great because I can rest my hand wherever I want rather than have to hold the controller pointed at a sensor bar and the control I get from the slightest wrist action in wonderful. Handheld using touch is awkward though as you need to take your hand off the controls to do star bits and such. The right stick would have been a good option there though clearly inferior to gyro in docked.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
I do have a question though.

64 is 720p30.
Sunshine is 1080p30.
Galaxy is 1080p60.

The more recent the game, the better the basic spec. Surely, it should be the other way round since the older the game, the less there is going on. Is there some technical reason why 64 couldn't be 1080p60? They upscaled it a bit, why not go whole hog?

Wiggle

Nov 25, 2019
I seem to recall reading that the unofficial PC port was ported to Switch, making it the only native version of Mario 64 for Switch. I never tried it, but it should have all the features the PC version has: 60fps, widescreen and analog camera control. If you have a modded Switch it is definitely the best way to play it on real hardware.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The Switch homebrew port is better than the official release. I remember when people were saying surely it would be a proper remaster, then defended it anyway when it was 4:3 at 480p, cmon people, Nintendo can do better.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question about Sunshine then... If you use say, a DualShock 4 with the 8bitdo adapter, will it recognize the analog triggers then?

Jun 2, 2019
I seem to recall reading that the unofficial PC port was ported to Switch, making it the only native version of Mario 64 for Switch. I never tried it, but it should have all the features the PC version has: 60fps, widescreen and analog camera control. If you have a modded Switch it is definitely the best way to play it on real hardware.
The Switch homebrew port is better than the official release. I remember when people were saying surely it would be a proper remaster, then defended it anyway when it was 4:3 at 480p, cmon people, Nintendo can do better.

OP purposedly discarded these

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Question about Sunshine then... If you use say, a DualShock 4 with the 8bitdo adapter, will it recognize the analog triggers then?
No, those adapters are recognized as Pro Controllers.

Theoretically though if someone made an adapter for the GameCube controller socket that recognizes analog it could be possible to stick that adapter into the GameCube controller adapter.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I haven't played the PC port of Mario 64, but I have played the NDS version and enjoyed it more than the 3D All Starts version.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've only played through Galaxy from the collection. It was my first time ever playing it, but it looked and ran great. I think it's a huge bummer they forced the player to use the touch screen to collect star bits during gameplay though. It makes handheld play near impossible to enjoy IMO.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
64 is ok if you ignore the fact that a much better version existed via the source port (on the Switch even) for a while before it released. The only issues I really have compared to the original are it being the Shindou version which makes it a lot worse for speedrunning, the uninverted camera by default which messes with my muscle memory (though thankfully this was patched) and the ai upscaled textures which seem to have had little to no manual tweaking done on them leaving them look incredibly smeary and out of place.

Sunshine is probably the best of the bunch, straight up an upgrade from the original sans the occasional framerate drop in Delfino Plaza. The upscaled textures look a hell of a lot better here too and definitely clean everything up a bit. Dolphin at 60fps is still a better experience overall but if you have to go official this isn't a bad way to play.

Galaxy is generally a better version than the original, at least in docked mode with the only issues being some fairly pervasive colour banding on a lot of effects and the gyro not quite being perfect as a pointer substitute, however it definitely still works well enough. Though again Dolphin doesn't suffer from either of these issues. Handheld is a bit worse off in terms of control with the touchscreen being an unwieldy (but accurate) substitute for pointer controls. It's fine for self contained sections like sling stars that don't require anything but the pointer but for anything that needs more than that it isn't particularly comfortable to use.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not play Galaxy using a Pro Controller but otherwise yes, they're great.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy is kinda annoying thanks to having to constantly recenter the star cursor with a button press, but it obviously looks much better than the Wii version.
I almost wish this collection came out on Wii U instead lol.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I had no trouble getting 100% completion in Sunshine in 3D All-Stars(well as a port, a few shines were a pain the arse). I only had to adjust to a lack of invert camera control, but that was patched in after completing the game, thankfully.

But it looks great, feels solid too. Often I was impressed just soaking in the HD resolution update which led to some colors and vistas just really popping off the screen. I regularly thought how lively it looked while playing.

Ive played M64 and Galaxy enough in my life that I spent less time with those though. Can't comment on either, but as a hater of Sunshine on GC that never came close to seeing it all, my opinion turned around dramatically with this release. Had a great time with it.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely my preferred way of playing all three. Speedrunners can't run this version of 64 and some people will swear by IR over gyro for Galaxy (I think it's fine and worth the graphical enchantment), but Sunshine is pretty agreed upon to be at its best here with the addition of GCN support.
- They all run well, though again, Sunshine could have (and should have) been given a boost to 60 FPS, though in fairness, it holds the 30 FPS target flawlessly.
It drops frames more often than the original release. They weren't getting that game to 60 on the Switch CPU without native CPU code... which they did for Galaxy, confusingly enough.

I do have a question though.

64 is 720p30.
Sunshine is 1080p30.
Galaxy is 1080p60.

The more recent the game, the better the basic spec. Surely, it should be the other way round since the older the game, the less there is going on. Is there some technical reason why 64 couldn't be 1080p60? They upscaled it a bit, why not go whole hog?
64 I can't answer, but honestly there wouldn't be much further benefit. Sunshine and Galaxy maintain their original framerates. Galaxy had to be ported (kinda; the GPU side is still emulated), but whether that was necessary to hit 60 or a result of them reworking the controls I'm not sure. IIRC Galaxy is dynamic res with a locked framerate while Sunshine has a locked resolution with the occasional stutter.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
as far as "official versions" are concerned I'd say yes. I personally had no issue playing Galaxy with the pro controller and gyro. Sunshine and 64 both perform well and look sharp (even if more could have been done).

Iirc Wii U emulation of N64 games make them look darker for some reason while the Switch emulation is nice and vibrant.

My only real qualm is if you are a handeld only player : Mario Galaxy is a miserable experience since you can only control the cursor with the touchscreen which is less than ideal.