• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This guy does good looks into horror films and this week he's taken a look at the SH films

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The first one, from an aesthetic standpoint, might be the most faithful live action video game movie ever. It looks really good. The movie itself is pretty awful, but it's bearable

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I remember liking the first one. I thought they did a decent job with keeping it true to the series all the way down to the soundtrack.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
The first one to me is a good film, both as an adaptation and a standalone film. Didn't know it was considered 'bad.' Maybe not the best thing out there but I'd say above average.

Second one was pretty bad though, feels like it just kind of gave up trying about a 1/3 of the way through

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
First one is an okay movie marred by studio interference and edits. There are decent fanedits of the film that cut out all of the studio trash that was inserted.

The second is a comically terrible film with no redeeming qualities.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a fan of the movies. I think the use of Centralia was pretty good.
But I bring this up whenever someone talks about Silent Hill, but back in the day it made me so mad that Harry wasn't in it.
The reason is cringe inducing.
It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill.

Notes from the Director - Silent Hill Memories

Silent Hill movie: information, review, cast, props, media, photos, videos

It bothered me so much because while the dad trope is overused in games these days, it was pretty rare back in the day.
So to hear someone say that a man would never go through the lengths Harry did to save his daughter...I'm not even mad. I'm just baffled by that thinking these days.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I still can't get over the director of the first movie finding Harry's motivations (saving his child) too "feminine" and made the protagonist of the film a woman instead

which then led to every major character being female, so brilliant movie executives mandated a bunch of scenes of Sean Bean looking through filing cabinets so there would be more screen time of a male character

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The first one is pretty good, but I had never played the games so anything they changed to the story didn't annoy me.

The second one is bizarre, all the retcons to bring it in line with the games made it confusing to watch if you did see the first one.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I haven't seen the second but I enjoyed the first as someone that knows of Silent Hill but hasn't really played the games.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Ryan does really good analysis and critique of horror movies, even if I don't always agree with is opinions.

In this case, the first Silent Hill isn't exactly fantastic. It's an admirable adaptation and a pretty solid watch as far as video game movies go. I think he was a little too harsh on it as I feel it's definitely worth a viewing and it's positives outweigh the negatives.

Can't agree with Revelations being some "so bad it's good" thing though. That movie is just straight up bad imo.

It will be interesting to see how the new one pans out given Cristophe Gans is getting another shot at it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Language
But I bring this up whenever someone talks about Silent Hill, but back in the day it made me so mad that Harry wasn't in it.

lmao this is just the PR friendly version of calling Harry a MOD EDIT for showing emotions.......what a moron

Last edited by a moderator:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The first film had shit tier acting, but I enjoyed it for its atmosphere, soundtrack, and the insanity of the last 20 minutes. Also had some really tense moments.

The second film was a flat out embarrassment which angered me because Silent Hill 3 is one of my favorite games ever and it completely wasted that game's story.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That bad? Not a genuine title. Am pretty sure SH movie is considered one of the best game adaptions ever. Now, the 2nd one, that's a different story.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It bothered me so much because while the dad trope is overused in games these days, it was pretty rare back in the day.
So to hear someone say that a man would never go through the lengths Harry did to save his daughter...I'm not even mad. I'm just baffled by that thinking these days.
Oh yeah now I remember this. I was actually really pissed off by this. Like the concept of a man showing vulnerability and emotions is such an awful thing.

So stupid.

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I quite enjoyed the first 2/3 of the first film when Rose is just going around the town looking for her daughter. The atmosphere is sufficiently creepy and I was invested in the mystery of it all. Then you get to a certain point and they sit you down for 10 minutes and just explain everything in a big exposition dump killing all the mystery and then the ending is kind of just bleh.

I didn't like anything about the sequel.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The first one is honestly overrated. Typical screaming gorefest with bad acting and shallow dumbed-down elements. The weird cult are now crazy Christians, Harry is now a woman because caring fathers saving their children from horror towns is something a man wouldn't do, and Pyramid Head is in it for some reason. Aside from capturing the aesthetic it completely fails as an adaption of SH1. But at least it tried, somewhat. Most video game adaptions don't even try half as much.

Second one is unholy trash, though. Good gracious lord Valtiel, what a stinker.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The first one was pretty decent.

The sequel was a turd in movie form and whoever made it had a fundamental misunderstanding of what Silent Hill actually is. And for someone like me - who is generally pretty relaxed about SH canon and loves most of the non-Team Silent games - to say that, you know it's bad. I mean, who doesn't love a Pop-Tart jumpscare?

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
The first Silent Hill movie IMO is not just the best video game adaptation movie, but just a straight up solid horror flick.

There was never a second movie.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Just watch Jacob's Ladder (1990) if you want a good Silent Hill-ish movie, since it inspired the first game.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this thread inspired me to buy the first one on itunes... haven't seen it in years but i am in the mood for some shlocky horror

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he didn't mention how fucked up it was that they made Vincent into a love interest for Heather in Revelations. Nothing highlights what a mess that movie was, or how predictable plots can be in movies, like that happening. When I say predictable I mean just the idea that if a male and female character are the big part of the story, then there's going to be some sort of love interest. It's like how people would "joke" that if there were ever an ICO movie they'd make Ico and Yorda's relationship romantic instead of a friendship.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
First one is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. Watched it twice in cinema even. Love the atmospheric horror aspect of it, which not many movies do or pull of well enough.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The first one is honestly overrated. Typical screaming gorefest with bad acting and shallow dumbed-down elements. The weird cult are now crazy Christians, Harry is now a woman because caring fathers saving their children from horror towns is something a man wouldn't do, and Pyramid Head is in it for some reason. Aside from capturing the aesthetic it completely fails as an adaption of SH1. But at least it tried, somewhat. Most video game adaptions don't even try half as much.

Second one is unholy trash, though. Good gracious lord Valtiel, what a stinker.

Basically all of this.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They are both horrible, one is just wayyyyy more horrible than the other

Pyramid Head exists purely for James' punishment, so it shouldn't have been in the movies. Same with the Lying Figure and stupid sexy nurses(the version with the titties). That was a lazy and uninspired move that you couldn't come up with any other creature designs and instead had to use my polygonal boy like that. It's clear the first movie wanted to mirror the first game and Revelations with the 3rd game, so just stick with those enemies... Fuck me.

Speaking of 'my boy', fuck Christoph for not making Sean Bean the protagonist. He was such an afterthought in the first movie that it's hard to give a shit that he died in Revelation (again, trying to mirror the movies with the games but since the get fucked up the first movie it only made the 2nd one that much worse).

Oh the movie says it's ash falling from the sky. Bitch, it's supposed to be snow. I get that other games after the Team Silent era fuck this up too, but still. Shit, Christoph is supposed to be this huge fan, you'd think he'd know that.

Fuck, now I'm pissed at Konami, Hijinx Studios, Christoph Ganz, Climax, DOUBLE HELIX, Vatra Games, and let's throw Konami in there again.

Fuck, it shouldnt take Sony to say "hey make a good Silent Hill game made by Japanese devs instead of this western shit", Konami. You bitch.

I know I forgot an 'e' on Christopher's name, but I'm doing laundry right now

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played the games and liked the first movie. The second movie had such bad word of mouth that I haven't had any desire to watch it.

Last edited:

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017

yiiiiikes

this has definitely soured my view of the movie.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I really like the first one. I like the wooden acting, the bat shit sequence in the church, the eerie ending.

I mean it's not some Oscar contender but I I like it and there are some very inspired scenes. I love that scene where he smells Rose's perfume and it flashes to her running past him in the alternate reality.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
The end credits song in the second movie was great And it brought back both Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Every game movie is bad so they should stop preying on them and move along. Games should stay games and movies should stay movies.
The biggest irony was the Ratchet and Clank movie which was lame but the game based on the movie based on the game was amazing.
A game gotta stay a game to stay amazing.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first one is near perfect aside from the ten minute info dump right before the climax.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
They're both horribad, even the first one. Tried to ape the visual style (and failed IMO) and jumped the shark with everything else.