• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Next-gen consoles use custom RDNA2 GPUs with reasonable tflops, but then NVIDIA announced the considerably faster new GPUs last month. And earlier today, it's AMD that just announced their Zen 3 CPUs. Meanwhile, PS5 and XSX are still on Zen 2 CPUs with 16GB of RAM which is already common for PC gaming. 32GB will become the standard soon enough. These consoles are supposed to be the most advanced gaming machines in 2020, and yet we'll be stuck with these already outdated systems for 7 years to come.

Anyone else feels their next-gen hype deflated a bit from those PC parts announcements?
Its the most advanced hardware 399/499 can get you. If you feel its outdated I can understand, but don't expect it to be affordable.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
They might. But the amount of cutting edge technology we are getting is truly mindblowing. There are threads from 2017/2018 wondering if an SSD was possible in next gen hardware and A LOT of people thought it was impossible. And now, we get state-of-the-art SSD technology.

And for 499.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
These consoles have hardware that high end PCs only got last year.

Zen 2 architecture - came out last year
PCIE 4.0 - came out last year
PCIE 4.0 SSD - only available on AMD which has ~25% market share on Steam.
9-12TF GPU - until last month the best gaming GPU was 13TF and cost £1,100+
RDNA2 GPU - not even out yet on PC.

It's not crazy to say that these consoles will have better specs than A LOT of PCs. Yes PC will always be a step ahead but these consoles are really nothing to laugh about. I spent ~£4,000 on my entire PC and an Xbox Series X will have a more powerful GPU than what is in my PC.
This is a succinct breakdown. These are likely the most cutting edge consoles we've ever had.

The majority of PC gamers don't have technology anywhere near the PS5/XSX as total packages.

My gaming laptop puts me in the 1% of the 1% probably.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
This was always gonna be the case though. PC tech will always be ahead on consoles.

But that's not to say these two consoles are far and away much better then the ps4/xboxone when they came out. They actually have desktop cpus, very good GPUs and SSDs.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
No, they're supposed to be cheap boxes which can be sold to tens of millions of people. Consoles have never been, and will never be, about "the most advanced" technology. They're meant to be massively sold, which means cheap hardware, which means being outclassed before they even come out.

Nothing new here.

On a pure specs level; they aren't 'the most advanced' and never will be. But one could argue that the actual design that went into it makes them the most 'advanced' mass-market gaming machines (for that price). We all know that console-hardware can punch above its weight because of the fact that -usually- they are a fixed platform with balanced design and clever shortcuts.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Most PC gamers don't even have a 2000 series card (or the AMD equivalent).

But for those that choose to spend $500+ on a GPU alone...they will always be ahead of the consoles.

Its just the nature of the beast.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
These are likely the best consoles we have ever had relatively speaking. Or at the very least in a long time.

Last gen had a big CPU deficiency coming in.
PS3 gen had a big memory deficiency.

Unlike last gen these consoles are genuine improvements across the board.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dollars-to-donuts, no. In absolute power metrics, yes - by a lot! But that's always been the case.

We haven't had consoles positioned this well since the Nintendo 64 however.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember that back in 2013 you could build a similar PC for about $600 USD, which wasn't too far off from the PS4/One and you got all the pc perks.

I don't think you can build something similar to the XSX or PS5 for less than 1000 USD. And that is not taking into account the XSS.

My point is yes, consoles will always be outpaced by PC but at least in this console gen they seem to be a lot better value than with the past generation of consoles.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
All technology is outdated by the time you can buy it. Therefore nobody should ever buy something because it's the latest and greatest - because it won't be. They should buy what they want because it does something they appreciate, and enjoy it for that purpose. I buy game consoles that deliver gaming experiences I'm interested in. Period.

Oct 29, 2017
Consoles were never intended to have the best processors available just like phones are not supposed to have the best camera sensors. Price and size alone tells you that.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Next-gen consoles use custom RDNA2 GPUs with reasonable tflops, but then NVIDIA announced the considerably faster new GPUs last month. And earlier today, it's AMD that just announced their Zen 3 CPUs. Meanwhile, PS5 and XSX are still on Zen 2 CPUs with 16GB of RAM which is already common for PC gaming. 32GB will become the standard soon enough. These consoles are supposed to be the most advanced gaming machines in 2020, and yet we'll be stuck with these already outdated systems for 7 years to come.

Anyone else feels their next-gen hype deflated a bit from those PC parts announcements?

To an extent yes, to an extent no.

Overall what you're getting for 499/399/299 here is crazy value and extremely advanced. Be happy with it.

Blazing fast SSD's (that can be more taken advantage of than on PC since they mandated)
2080Ti class GPU (at least I consider XSX to be 2080Ti class). Until literally week's ago, the pinnacle of PC performance.
8 core (!) 16 thread CPU. Pretty top of the line in mainstream core thread count and wont be far behind in IPC. by contrast is just redid my pc and only got a 6/12 mid range.
16GB GDDR
A Blu Ray drive

Look at the prices on those Pc components. 3080, $700 by itself. New AMD chips, start at 299. Fast 1Tb SSD's, ~$200.

I've rarely been more excited for new consoles. we're kind of getting a 2 for 1, massive CPU power increase and transition to SSD. And a very substantial GPU on top of it.

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be fine. PC components are constantly getting refreshed / updated and something is always around the corner.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
its usually the case. Or at least they end up on the lower-mid end of power compared to the current year's cpu/gpu releases.
Console makers need to get the price-performance correct. Not many are going to pay the $1k or so needed for top tier specs so they go for the $400-500 range.

Oct 27, 2017
They're good enough. I mean my first platform is PC but I'm perfectly happy with what we're getting out of the consoles this next gen. Anyhow I'm sure we'll get a GPU upgrading the next 3 years on these things anyhow. The CPU and new SSD speed pairing is going to be awesome. Let's just be happy with what we're getting they're always just going to be the next big thing, but these new consoles are going to be good for a good while regardless.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I mean on paper it is but even then the top of the line AAA games like every gen will make you forget about the difference.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Considering I can buy one of these consoles for less than one of those GPUs, I never understood the point of this talk point.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The parts in the consoles are :

1) Custom hardware that you can't buy straight out in a PC.
2) Cost half of what it would cost you to buy a PC with similar specs.

What the PS5 and Series X are giving you is Streamlined cutting edge tech at a fraction of the price.
When Consoles went super Exotic with it's components, that you couldn't find in a PC(see the Cell processor), people hated it because it was hard to program for and the tools for it weren't baked enough to release to devs. I could find you a Bombcast episode with Dave Lang, and he called the Ps3 launch: The Widowmaker The tools and hardware were horribly stupid to program for.

So I see the release of the hardware as the launching pad for all that raytracing tech and PCI-E 4.0 Tech. See it as that.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes the $500 console is already outdated standing next to the $2000+ PC.

And for that price difference it goddamn well better be outdated.

If you want to look at price to performance then hands down the new consoles are a better value and will be for quite some time. You can't build a Ray-tracing enabled PC for $500 from the ground up.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The price of the GPU teraflop equivalent of what was in the PS4 with 1.8Teraflops, costed around $180.
Now look at what a 12Teraflops GPU costs right now, which will be in the Xbox Series X.

Relatively speaking these are very very powerful consoles this time around and
they're not relying on non-PC compatible specialized hardware as was the case in all the generations before the PS4/XBO era.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
If you compare them to PC...yes.

They are a huge improvement over current gen and people don't realise just how good value these consoles are. £450 each and have 9-12TF performance. Series X will be more powerful than my GPU. PS5 will have much faster SSD than my PC. I paid £750 for my GPU and £380 for my SSD...

Good luck building a PC with similar specs and price.

Which console has a 9TF GPU?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox series s was the only announcement close to being a good deal on the first place, so *shurgs*.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
These consoles are extremely powerful relative to the PC market at a fraction of the cost. At least for the near future, they will be offering games at a locked 4k60 or upscaled 4k60 with rumors of 1440p or 1080p @ 120 for some titles. For the average consumer, who does not have a monitor or TV with a refresh rate higher than 60hz (and might not even have 4k) this is going to be at least as good or at least as useful as a $2k PC - which requires much more setup, a dedicated monitor with high refresh rate and high resolution to enjoy, driver updates and downloads, tinkering, and the like.

No one is denying that $2k PC is better. That it won't have higher framerate options, mod support, and universal m/kb. But that doesn't mean its even close to a better value for the vast majority of the market. And the new boxes are not even REMOTELY outdated when you look at the average power of PC with the data that Steam releases. If any thing they are enthusiast level quality!

Holy moley, perspective gets so skewed on boards like ours.

Oct 27, 2017
At the lower budgets, a PC with a Ryzen 3200 would probably be the best. The whole thing would only be like $100 less than the XSS and be much weaker, but it gives you access to an almost unlimited number of F2P and classic games as well as super cheap Steam sales.

If money is no concern, then the PC is also the best option since you can spend like $3000 and get a PC with like double the performance of a newly released console.

Console gaming exists in the middle and usually maximizes performance per dollar. It's a bit more complicated these days with digital only consoles restricting your ability to get a deal and of course the diminishing returns in going from 1080P to 4K, but it's still relatively cheap because it's an all-in-one package that is mass produced and subsidized by the manufacturer.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Lol the nvidia GPU alone cost more than these consoles. Of course they're already outdated but they're still great for what they are.
actually outdated isn't the term because the tech is fresh. they might not be the most powerful.

with that said the series S is still a question for me and it seems like Microsoft wants you to think they're only releasing a series X up until now. im sure that will change.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tech always marches on. Consoles are practically always outdated on launch, barring a few exceptions. Plus at $500 it's the same cost as say a 5900X.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I paid almost tripple for my current PC I got last year compared to XSX/PS5. And at least PS5 will still have a faster SSD than my PC, while the system in general will be on par with the new console generation (except for RAM). If you are willing to pay enough you will always be able to get better hardware, but for price these new consoles are GREAT value.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I feel that this is the most cutting edge console tech has been in a few generations.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The New PC Hardware Will be more powerful then the next gen consoles

But at the same time the tech and architecture are modern on these console and wont hold back

Outdated is something you would say to "HDD"

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean yes but you have to take into account cost to performance ratio. At the same time the PS5 and Series X wil be fine. Can't wait to play on both.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Wait till a few years out and it turns out that the CPU/GPU in these consoles aren't even as powerful as they have been hyped to be.

Noobguru

Oct 27, 2017
The best way to answer this position: Find a prebuilt machine that handles games at the same settings for $500.

Then wait.

Consoles are a convenient solution for those that have no need for a high end PC, nor want to spend the money. For some, it's the exclusives. You're coming into this with the wrong mindset.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
On a pure specs level; they aren't 'the most advanced' and never will be. But one could argue that the actual design that went into it makes them the most 'advanced' mass-market gaming machines (for that price). We all know that console-hardware can punch above its weight because of the fact that -usually- they are a fixed platform with balanced design and clever shortcuts.
Best or most advanced for the price* is a good way to look at them.

But it's like getting hyped over the "best" US$10k car - it might be amazing *for the price*, but it won't actually be a great car compared to what's available in the market if you're willing to spend more.

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking at eBay last night and even entry level ray tracing capable GPUs like the 2060 Super are $250-$300 used.

I mean come on now people..you can't even begin to tell me you can build a PC right now with the same price to performance ratio of the new consoles.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I mean come on now people..you can't even begin to tell me you can build a PC right now with the same price to performance ratio of the new consoles.
Since the OP doesn't even mention that, the point seems to be that for people with money to burn there are higher performance options available elsewhere outside of console gaming.