• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
If you think they're so bad it's good you're kinda missing the point. They're genuinely good, you just have to be able to look past the jank. In the best case (Deadly Premonition 1) the jank becomes part of the charm, but it's not why fans love the game.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
The Missing is a legit good game.

I really like Deadly Premonition too, not because of the jank but because it has a lot of charm and heart despite its less than stellar gameplay and technical aspects, but I wouldn't fault anyone who doesn't like it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if anyone is curious about the link between D4 and DP2, check out the clip in this tweet.

D4 takes place in 2013, DP2 in 2019. so David Young is still searching for Peggy's killer 6 years later.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Yeah I get it.

But ultimately there are objective measures when considering if a game is "good" or not. By most of those measures Swery games are not good. Graphics/art is usually bad. Technical issues rampant, gameplay systems range from bad to merely serviceable.

Only redeeming quality to these games is the quirky story/presentation stuff. Which I understand if that stuff makes them enjoyable to some people. But that doesn't erase the objective shortcomings they present.
It's not really that there are objective measures on if a game is good or not, it's just that you can usually make an ARGUMENT for why a game is good or not using objective facts about the game.

You could definitely make a good argument for why Deadly Premonitions is a bad game, it's probably an easy one to make in fact. You could also make an argument for why it's great. The only objective things are the existence of things within the game that you believe the game benefits from or doesn't.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
d428kuy.jpg
Wow. Well, that certainly changes thing. I had no idea about any of this.

Fun Fact: Swery has posted a happy birthday message on my Facebook page every year since 2014, despite us not being IRL friends. I added him as a friend after playing Deadly Premonition and he seems to have taken it seriously :)
Guy is dope. He is following me on Twitter and I have no idea why. I only tweeted him once about how much I liked D4 and that was it.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Speaking about DP, it's technically really bad with also horrible shooting/combat. But has great characters, intriguing story with quirky scenes and humor and some genuinely good design ideas that are many times hampered by what they can execute but that ultimately make me happy they even tried.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
For me, they are very creative, entertaining, and have good writing (for the type of intentionally offbeat story they are trying to tell). Francis York Morgan is literally the best protagonist ever in my eyes. No games have had me with a big goofy grin on my face quite the same way that both Deadly Premonitions do.

It really just depends on what the gamer wants most. For the person who values gameplay, control, performance, good combat system, or pretty much any technical competence, as the most important things in a game- they should steer clear. For these games, I endure (and sometimes laugh at) how bad these elements are- and they are abysmal (abet functional). But they are just the (very flimsy) platform one must navigate to get to the next (wonderfully bizarre) story beat.

Me, I've played low budget 90s era PC jank so I can take this stuff. But admittedly hose born and bred on modern AAA gaming just will not get these products.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Every aspect of Deadly Premonition's design is intentional. The more you play and analyze it, the more apparent this becomes, and the more integral to the experience they all are.

Fun Fact: Swery has posted a happy birthday message on my Facebook page every year since 2014, despite us not being IRL friends. I added him as a friend after playing Deadly Premonition and he seems to have taken it seriously :)
I traded business cards with him at GDC and he sends me Happy New Year post cards.

May 15, 2019
Deadly Premonition is great because it has an incredible attention to detail despite its obvious low budget. You can learn a ton about the mystery before the story reveals it or even details you never learn through the main path by talking to the various NPCs or peeking into buildings to observe their behavior. Mainlining the plot is a totally different experience from doing side missions and expiring the town. The game makes great use of being a video game to enhance the story instead of just making it unveil linearly through cutscenes. I was actually somewhat disappointed with DP2 because this attention to detail is totally absent from the sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Origins for the first time. It's not fun, but it's compelling. It's a bad game, but that doesn't have to be the end of the evaluation and DP kind of proves it by being interesting despite that. It's derivative as hell, at least so far, of an obvious inspiration, but it's so indebted and reverent to the inspiration that it becomes earnest and endearing through it. It helps to love to the thing it's emulating.

What a lot of people may be keying in on with the "jank" is that, there's a version of DP that is completely re-made with high quality graphics, driving, mechanics, great performance, etc., where it's now a "good game", but it probably wouldn't have that large of an effect on the takeaway. Like, you could give Twin Peaks a Christopher Nolan budget, but does that matter?