• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• Yes, Sony exclusives are a cut above the rest visually

Votes: 1,139 39.4%
  • Somewhat but there are some third party and MS/Nintendo games that match Sony's exclusives

Votes: 1,319 45.7%
  • No, they're not that good looking

Votes: 431 14.9%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the best looking game ever made. This topic is a failure.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They are usually in the highest tier, but RDR2 holds it's own with them, as do a few more 3rd party releases (especially when factoring in the PC version).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Spider-Man for example is often strangely overlooked when people talk about graphically stunning open world games. Digital Foundry in their 2018 top ten graphics picks put it right next to Red Dead Redemption 2 as their top pick of the year. Not second place, but as an equal:

No idea why it is overlooked by people. Probably the second best looking game ever, after RDR2. 2018 blew me the fuck away when it came to game visuals. Legit couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I'd throw Dragon Ball FighterZ into the discussion too, though obviously it's going for something entirely different.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely top tier but there are others that compete. I'm excited to see what they can do on better hardware.
RDR2 is an obvious example of an incredible looking third party, but if I'm being honest it's the first Rockstar game I've found to hit that level.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
... They sacrifice Scale and Interactivity to achieve that level of graphics fidelity, like how Zelda BotW was much more interactive in terms of physics than Horizon. in a game like Uncharted 4 the most impressive areas are the ones that had you control Nate alone with minimal gameplay.

However, they make some of the best looking games for sure.
Pretty much this.

And given the amount of 30fps games they put out, they couldn't be further from untouchable on a technical level.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Mostly - but RDR2 I would say is the best looking game I have yet played, so while Sony is very consistent in releasing technically great games, and they do release a lot of the top tier, they do not 100% dominate that space.
I have a feeling this coming gen will see Microsoft bringing the heat (after a couple years though probably...).

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
User Banned (A week): Platform warring, previously warned for drive-by; member in junior phase
Lot's of weird console-war type threads popping up lately.

Playstation is the best selling and most popular console this gen so there is a lot mental discomfort that series X will be more powerful at launch. That is manifesting into these Sony circle jerk threads.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The poll options remind me of Colbert asking "George Bush. Great president, or greatest?"
Exactly.

I'm shaking my head at anyone saying yes. Most of them look amazing, but they're far from untouchable. There's other games like Battlefield One & V, Battlefront 1 & 2, Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport, Metal Gear Solid V, Arkham Knight, Final Fantasy XV, Quantam Break, Control (especially on PC), Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Devil May Cry V, Ryse, Gears V, Metro Exodus, and more.

Sony may have one or two games that are truely the best looking of the generation . . . but even if so, how on earth does that equate to "Sony exclusives are untouchable on a graphical and technical level"?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Mostly - but RDR2 I would say is the best looking game I have yet played, so while Sony is very consistent in releasing technically great games, and they do release a lot of the top tier, they do not 100% dominate that space.
I have a feeling this coming gen will see Microsoft bringing the heat (after a couple years though probably...).
I bet you'll see some amazing graphical technology from MS day 1. 343 are pretty darn great from a technical standpoint; Halo 4 may be the best looking game of all last gen and for when it came out Halo 5 running at stable 60fps on a base Xbox One is an impressive feat.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i dont think any game comes close to flight sim right now

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
The answer wouldn't be fair because there are still 2 big Sony AAA games this generation that will set a new benchmark IMO.

I only own PS4 Pro and Switch and I gotta say the things that made me blown away was, inFAMOUS Second Son, Ratchet & Clank, and the way Nate, when climbing, moves his arm in the direction of the stick in Uncharted 4

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
in a top 10 graphical impressiveness Ranking I think Sony would get at least 5 spots, easily.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I bet you'll see some amazing graphical technology from MS day 1. 343 are pretty darn great from a technical standpoint; Halo 4 may be the best looking game of all last gen and for when it came out Halo 5 running at stable 60fps on a base Xbox One is an impressive feat.
Say God of War 3 would be the best looking last gen game (not including PC anyway, because it'd be Crisis 1 probably). It looking absolutely amazing still on PS3.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jealous of what? Of how a video game looks? Please.

Please...claiming that Sony's exclusives don't actually look good? Year and year again Sony exclusives like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding have been pushing the limits of what was thought possible on consoles. They are near or at the very top of every Digital Foundry top graphics of the year list.
Sure, there may be other developers that match them or that even surpass them (Rockstar?), but saying Sony games don't look good is an imo salty response.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
the entire premise of this thread is so dumb

there is also more to graphics than just trying to achieve realism. sony just do one thing, and they do it well, but there are so many other games i would prefer to look at and play before most sony games

And it's hilarious because Insomniac, a Sony first party developer now, kind of got ignored for so long in top tier graphics discussions, even though their games like Sunset Overdrive, and Ratchet and Clank are both really really good graphically. It wasn't until a realistically styled game like Spider-man that suddenly everyone is like wow Insomniac is top tier, look at how Sony studios are top tier.

Like, lmao.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I think that's pretty impressive if almost your entire portfolio of studios can only be bested by a single game -- one of the most expensive ever made that took almost a decade to make.

RDR2 was one example, not the only example. Control, Gears 5, Forza Horizon, etc. are all up there as well. Sony makes pretty games, but so do so many others. This whole premise of Sony being unbeatable in that area is just dumb.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
And it's hilarious because Insomniac, a Sony first party developer now, kind of got ignored for so long in top tier graphics discussions, even though their games like Sunset Overdrive, and Ratchet and Clank are both really really good graphically. It wasn't until a realistically styled game like Spider-man that suddenly everyone is like wow Insomniac is top tier, look at how Sony studios are top tier.

Like, lmao.
What? R&C was praised heavily for how pretty it is.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Please...claiming that Sony's exclusive don't actually look good? Year and year again Sony exclusives like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, Death Stranding have been pushing the limits of what was thought possible on consoles. They are near or at the very top of every Digital Foundry top graphics of the year list.
Sure, there may be other developers that match them or that even surpass them (Rockstar?), but saying Sony games don't look good is an imo salty response.
But that's the only choice you can pick without saying they are untouchable. Which they aren't so I'm not jealous or salty at all. Just have no other choice to pick that's close to my opinion.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Say God of War 3 would be the best looking last gen game (not including PC anyway, because it'd be Crisis 1 probably). It looking absolutely amazing still on PS3.

I can understand liking Crysis 1 more, but Crysis 3 is on en entirely new engine and just does so so many things that Crysis 1 doesn't even touch. It's quite a bit easier to see subpar things when playing through Crysis 1. Still an incredible achievement though.

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't peerless, since Rockstar regularly puts out games on that same level and scope. Maybe even the best looking game so far this gen.
They have a lot though, and TLOU2 is probably going to be the best looking game of the generation.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What? R&C was praised heavily for how pretty it is.

I mean in terms of graphics whenever I see people talk about "best graphics of the generation" like, no on in a reddit thread will mention it until you get to something with like 10 upvotes. Or on here you'll be pages and pages in before like one person mentions it. Or twitter you'll basically just not see it. I have never seen it in like, a top 10 list, for like anyone.

And honestly it's one of best looking games including on a technical level I've seen in a long time. It blows my mind. It genuinely feels like an animated movie sometimes.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand liking Crysis 1 more, but Crysis 3 is on en entirely new engine and just does so so many things that Crysis 1 doesn't even touch. It's quite a bit easier to see subpar things when playing through Crysis 1. Still an incredible achievement though.
True, forget Crysis 3 was just before this gen.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. They've got other devs scratching their heads.
You're not wrong, at all.

Make a list of what we'd consider (at the time of release) the best looking game on console, and you'd find a LOT of Sony exclusives littering that list. They've really always had top tier releases, shoulder to shoulder with giants like Rockstar. So in terms of first-party development, yes they are currently unbeatable in their output.

Which isn't to say other first party teams and third parties don't make incredible looking games. But no first party stable consistently raises the graphics bar as much as sony's first party does. Period.

Also, I honest-to-god don't even know what people are talking about when they say Gears 5 is one of the best looking games. It's a clunker animation-wise and it really didn't wow me playing it maxed out on my PC. It looks good, but it didn't really blow me away. Forza Horizon 4 is way more impressive from a graphical standpoint.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna pretend like there's something to debate about. Yes, they're untouchable. And nothing will change about that next generation as well.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the only choice you can pick without saying they are untouchable. Which they aren't so I'm not jealous or salty at all. Just have no other choice to pick that's close to my opinion.

You do have a point there. Maybe I should rather say that OP's third poll option sounds salty? Maybe that's how they wanted to frame it. Two options basically stating that Sony's games do look the best and a third option that sounds lik a hella salty nope, lol.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Odd poll choices. I went with the middle one since there are games from many different developers that are graphically impressive. RDR2 was the first one that instantly came to mind though. It's like a painting in motion.

uI78BxV.jpg

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2 is still better visually and technically than any Sony exclusive.

That's not true.. RDR2 has an incredible world but character detail.. animations.. etc and specially GAMEPLAY is far superior in Sony Exclusives. Many people agree that RDR2 plays like shit and it's true.

Yep. They've got other devs scratching their heads.

For me is not just about just graphical quality.. the execution in this games is on another level compared to Microsoft and Third Party games. The Animation work.. Art direction.. Gameplay.. etc.

I really hope Microsoft can fix this in next gen.. competition is always good for us as consumers.

Exclusives make consoles a success not raw power.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There are plenty of games that in the same ball park only with different art styles. What the Sony developers were able to extract out of the weak ass PS4 hardware and with relatively good performance is hard to fathom though.

No, I'd argue that Hellblade looks better (or at least on the same level) as all of the above games.

Outside of Senua's model Hellblade doesn't look like anything special.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I mean in terms of graphics whenever I see people talk about "best graphics of the generation" like, no on in a reddit thread will mention it until you get to something with like 10 upvotes. Or on here you'll be pages and pages in before like one person mentions it. Or twitter you'll basically just not see it.

And honestly it's one of best looking games including on a technical level I've seen in a long time. It blows my mind. It genuinely feels like an animated movie sometimes.
Feel like that happens with Spidey too, game is like top 3 best looking console games there is imo (topped only by RDR2 and Death Stranding), the Spidey model especially is always just looking perfect.
R&C is right up there too, probably say only Kindom Hearts 3 topped it for that type of presentation.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
RDR2, Metro, and Control match Sony exclusive at the very minimum, and that's without touching any of Microsoft's games.
I feel like Insomniac had long been ignored in a lot of graphics conversations because they go for more cartoony styles a lot of the time.

But man I remember being blown away by Sunset Overdrive, and then later by Ratchet and Clank. It feels like it took everyone seeing Spider-man, a more realistic styled game, for everyone to suddenly realize how incredible Insomniac is.
I think this is true, but for the purposes of this thread it would definitely count against Sony.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
They definitely are if you compare the base consoles.

However RDR 2 is ridiculously good looking, and I give it the edge over all other games. TLOU 2 may just change my mind.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
A little bit biased, but for 40 to 64 players games, I think we do okay.

From what I see, the only technical thing they are talking about is visuals, not framerate, RTX, cloud computing, or achievements like this.

They are not untouchable because they have been surpassed many times over if we are speaking from a true technical POV.
i dont think any game comes close to flight sim right now
That's a given. That game is leaps and bounds ahead of all console games.

I love me some God of War, but this game is seriously in a league of its own for what it's doing on all fronts.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little bit biased, but for 40 to 64 players games, I think we do okay.

Hell yeah, BF2 is a beautiful looking game. Don't agree with the poll at all.There's many games that deserved to be recognized on the highest level.

Forza Horizon 4 is just as good as anything listed in the OP as well.

Dec 30, 2019
It's not that Sony is peerless it's just that no other publisher has games of this quality released year after year even if games from Rockstar and others meet and exceed them it's once a generation.

obviously as a platform holder they're in a very different position

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill 3 and Silent Hill 4 are still graphical benchmarks and betetr than many games from next generations that came after them in certain aspects.

The Order 1886 was the first game to look like CGI back then and it won't age at all and still has the best use of PBR materials to date and its engine screams make for next-gen and you will see.

Silent Hills PS5 and next RAD game will be graphical graphical benchmarks to come, if not for next generations too.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is a resounding YES.

SONY is the publisher with the most games to be regarded as the best technical achievements among all publishers and the most awarded in this regard too

Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
GT Sport
Death Stranding
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spiderman
Days Gone

Even some artistic wonders such as Ratchet and Clank, Astro Bot, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian

The level of diversity in both game designs as well as technical achievements that they offer is astonishing.

It goes without saying that The Last of us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima are going to smash the current benchmarks and set new ones.

RDR 2 is great looking and all but in the end it's one game from Rockstar.

‏So, in the sense of plurality and consistency alone, I think SONY is the top of the craft and that's why I look forward to their next-gen games more than any other company (added to the quality of their games overall).

Last edited: