• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

?

• Yes, Sony exclusives are a cut above the rest visually

Votes: 1,139 39.4%
  • Somewhat but there are some third party and MS/Nintendo games that match Sony's exclusives

Votes: 1,319 45.7%
  • No, they're not that good looking

Votes: 431 14.9%

• Total voters

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Make a list of what we'd consider (at the time of release) the best looking game on console, and you'd find a LOT of Sony exclusives littering that list. They've really always had top tier releases, shoulder to shoulder with giants like Rockstar. So in terms of first-party development, yes they are currently unbeatable in their output.

Which isn't to say other first party teams and third parties don't make incredible looking games. But no first party stable consistently raises the graphics bar as much as sony's first party does. Period.

Also, I honest-to-god don't even know what people are talking about when they say Gears 5 is one of the best looking games. It's a clunker animation-wise and it really didn't wow me playing it maxed out on my PC. It looks good, but it didn't really blow me away. Forza Horizon 4 is way more impressive from a graphical standpoint.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Although very visually appealing to look at, mostly thanks to vibrant colors and a soft look, I find that the majority of them have terribly unstable framerate. Forget 60FPS, I wish they at least consistently locked to 30FPS. This is made all the more depressing by the fact that they generlaly don't have a PC release and the PS4 Pro only has marginal improvements. I'm really hoping PS5's backcompat performance improvement remedies that (or the upcoming PC releases) :)

Also for me Red Dead Redemption 2 is in a class of its own on all fronts, but Sony's 1st party games are the closest competitors for games in that style.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Can't really compare Rockstar (a single studio) to Sony's entire lineup like that. Of course Sony's array of studios has put out more games this gen than just one studio on its own.

The best way to have a discussion like this is to compare two first-party games of the same genre to each other, like in the video below:

Rockstar probably has more devs than these studios combined, but they prefer to focus on a single, giant game. That's fine to me because they always raise the bar.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
That's a bad poll, imo, made to drive a narrative. Especially the last option. Yes, they are that good looking, but no, there are other games not from Sony that look, at the very least, just as good.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I don't know enough to judge on a technical level, but just based on the number of screenshots I take of games while playing and my subjective sense of good looking, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, God Of War and Red Dead Redemption are my top picks of the gen so far. So that's 4 Sony exclusives out of my top 4.

I also think that The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima are among the best looking games of the gen just based on the trailers we've seen so far.

I don't know if Sony is putting more effort or talent or money or time into their engines or whatever it is, but their games definitely set the bar more often than not.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Insomniac had long been ignored in a lot of graphics conversations because they go for more cartoony styles a lot of the time.

But man I remember being blown away by Sunset Overdrive, and then later by Ratchet and Clank. It feels like it took everyone seeing Spider-man, a more realistic styled game, for everyone to suddenly realize how incredible Insomniac is.

Yep, Spider-Man for example is often strangely overlooked when people talk about graphically stunning open world games. Digital Foundry in their 2018 top ten graphics picks put it right next to Red Dead Redemption 2 as their top pick of the year. Not second place, but as an equal:

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
At no time did I say that they are the "only ones" that raise the bar.

There are great third-party or other first-party devs that are on par. What I do think we could agree on is that they are the most consistent.

The ones who said no, either have to buy glasses or are definitely angry fanboys.

Rereading you....my fault. You didn't say anything wrong really.

May 7, 2020
tlouunku3.gif

1 month

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yep, Spider-Man for example is often strangely overlooked when people talk about graphically stunning open world games. Digital Foundry in their 2018 top ten graphics picks put it right next to Red Dead Redemption 2 as their top pick of the year. Not second place, but as an equal:

I can't think of an open world game that controls as good as Spider-Man on consoles.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
I cant answer because Sony's exclusives are severely hindered by its hardware.

Bloodborne and Spiderman would look mind blowing on PC hardware.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
For the hardware, probably. 1st party funding can go a long way. Are there even any PC exclusives that look better than early-mid gen PS4 exclusives years later?

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't know enough to judge on a technical level, but just based on the number of screenshots I take of games while playing and my subjective sense of good looking, Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, God Of War and Red Dead Redemption are my top picks of the gen so far. So that's 4 Sony exclusives out of my top 4.

I also think that The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima are among the best looking games of the gen just based on the trailers we've seen so far.

I don't know if Sony is putting more effort or talent or money or time into their engines or whatever it is, but their games definitely set the bar more often than not.

That's the same for me. Those are the top 5 best looking games this gen so far. At least until The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima releases. I'm sure at least one of them will get up to the top 5.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I would put Rockstar fully on par with them and Crytek at the same technical level if not necessarily artistically. But yeah other than that I'd say Sony's 1st parties are a cut above everyone else.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny whenever threads like this pop up, DICE are always slept on and almost never mentioned.

Their games can absolutely go toe to toe with the best looking games this generation.

Slangblade

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
If we did a top 10 best graphics of the generation I think I'll at least 5 games in it. So answer is yes

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Voted YES. Other studios can match Sony's WWS technically, they just don't. So why?

Time
Human resources
Budget
Technological infrastructure (ICE Team, SN Systems profile tools)
Bespoke software for hardware (relative to third party developers)
A focus on cinematic experiences
Shared best practises

Whenever I read the black splash screen with 'Sony Interactive Entertainment presents', you know there's going to be a level of quality from years of all of the above.

PlayGround Games have been the standard setter on XBOX for some time now. Forza Horizon 4 is a belter. I really respect how good that thing looks and I expect that team to continue to lay down the bar. Now though, Microsoft Games Studios also have Ninja Theory which is a studio that's particularly in-line with Sony's output. I absolutely expect them to go toe-to-toe with Sony's WWS's.

Generally third-party can't match first-party. I'd consider The Division and Doom Eternal as outliers but if a Sony studio developed them I think they would be better in some way. I feel third-party developers don't have the same appetite because they don't have to sell consoles.

Sony would make Doom Eternal look better than the people who developed the engine it runs on? Some of the most storied and graphically literate developers in the industry? Who made a game that looks like THAT run at 60 fps unlike any Sony first party game?

What are you people on lmao.

"Other games are good but sony is better and would probably make their games look better too."

My dude. Like. What?

You've not seen Gears 5, Battlefront 1 and 2, Battlefield 5, RDR 2?

DICE makes its own engine. Ubisoft and Massive made their own engine. Coalition is intimately familiar with Unreal 4 and takes advantage of its features probably more than any other developer out there right now.

Ubisoft and Massive absolutely have time, human resources, budget, tech infrastructure, bespoke software they made themselves, and Ubisoft's massive array of developers for shared practices. Cinematic experiences is not a thing that makes graphics better. That is a thing you do that having good graphics can help with. It's completely unrelated to the other things you list. Ratchet and Clank is incredibly impressive graphically, but it is hardly "cinematic" and it's a Sony first party game too.

Like this thread is full of these really weird ignorant posts. "Sony is untouchable. Except other companies do touch them. But Sony could probably do it better, including companies that made their own engines."

Bruh there are plenty of incredible developers who can match Sony first party. ID are legendary for their graphical know-how. They consistently get incredible looking games running at 60 fps, as well as in first person meaning things need more detail up close as well. Saying Sony could do better than id at their own engine is just. lmao. Idk what to say man. Id had all the time and budget they needed to get the game looking as good as it does. There's nothing that Sony could do to improve that. This is just ignorant, and kind of disrespectful to id.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are pretty close. I know a lot of people are saying RDR2 but are you talking about RDR2 on PS4 Pro? Because that's the only comparison that makes sense. We don't have Sony exclusives built from ground up on more powerful platforms to compare to a spec'd out RDR2 on PC or even X1X.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Man even Forza Horizon 4 looks much better than Gears 5. I can't understand what people see on gears5 graphics. In terms of game is a great game. But graphics? Not at all... The open world areas have bland textures all around.
IMO Gears 5 is a techincal showcase but it lacks on detail and art design.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Rereading you....my fault. You didn't say anything wrong really.

Sorry if it sounded like that. English is not my native language and I can get lost in the translation.

I answered that because I had noticed a bit of sarcasm in your answer. But in the same way there are many great developers, and maybe some don't try to look for a graphic showcase, and prefer to focus the budget on other aspects.

This I suppose that also plays an important role in development, with which ultimately we have to be happy for the games to come and the variety of them.

Special mention, if all the next gen games were seen as what was shown from Hellblade II I would be more than happy, and I say this as a PS user that I never had the possibility of having an Xbox.

Oct 28, 2017
There is room in the top tier for more than one boss.

Sony, Rockstar, Ubisoft, EA, Arc System, who ever made Gears 5, Capcom and Nintendo, Square enix

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted the last option because when you say technical level they really aren't pushing the boundaries of graphical technology. They have fantastic art direction.

Edit: whoops Misread the last option. I'll go with the middle option.

But the way the statement is worded and the options available really don't make sense to me.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Does Forza horizon just get overlooked bc it's a racing game? This is the closest thing to RDR2 this gen for me in terms of scale and lighting. Not to mention it can run 4k60 relatively easily on a modest machine.

also what is the technical achievement? having games that can't run at 60fps? these biased polls about graphics and technology make no sense here LOL. If anything, nintendo has the most "technically impressive" games as they have the least horsepower yet pump out quality looking games with beautiful art

Oct 29, 2017
Ppl that say Sony a cut above the rest I just can't see how they are better than Red Dead 2 . The level of detail in that game is outstays

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
They're in the upper echelon but far from untouchable. That being said, if I had to hone in on a single aspect of Naughty Dog's technical prowess which I think they're arguably the GOAT, it'd be animations.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
In some genres they are...

RespectfulOptimalBasil-size_restricted.gif

Look how stupid that is. For PS5 they may as well record live footage and call them graphics. We wouldn't know any better.
Graphics on racing games are moving towards minimal gains from jumping generations. They already look very realistic at times, and some pics from photo modes, ppl cant even tell if they are real or not unless they spend a good amount of time analizing the image. I remember Nissan posted a photo on twitter congratulating the photographer for the amazing shot, when in fact it was a screenshot from Driveclub photomode.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Make a list of what we'd consider (at the time of release) the best looking game on console, and you'd find a LOT of Sony exclusives littering that list. They've really always had top tier releases, shoulder to shoulder with giants like Rockstar. So in terms of first-party development, yes they are currently unbeatable in their output.

Which isn't to say other first party teams and third parties don't make incredible looking games. But no first party stable consistently raises the graphics bar as much as sony's first party does. Period.

Also, I honest-to-god don't even know what people are talking about when they say Gears 5 is one of the best looking games. It's a clunker animation-wise and it really didn't wow me playing it maxed out on my PC. It looks good, but it didn't really blow me away. Forza Horizon 4 is way more impressive from a graphical standpoint.

I mean, it looks better than Gears 5 I agree. But Gears 5 is still technically really good. It takes advantage of Unreal 4 in a way I don't think really any other game is doing right now.

That's kind of what this comes down to. I genuinely do not like how Gears 5 looks compared to Forza Horizon 4, but if you look at them closely, Gears 5 is just more refined graphically than 4 is. There's a reason xbox one x can't run its campaign at 60 fps, but it can fun Forza Horizon 4, and it's not because Coalition are not good devs. Digital Foundry has kind of gone over why it is so impressive. From an engineering, technical standpoint, it is top tier. Aesthetics...yeah I'd agree with you. It doesn't do a good job in turning those graphics into something tangibly beautiful.

It's crazy too since both games seem to be going for a "stylized realistic" art style, but this is still a classic case of how powerful art style is. Forza Horizon 4 is incredibly inconsistent graphics wise. You go to some places and like, if you were first person in some places it'd be pretty poor. For one, it gets away with lower resolution ground textures, and less dense vegetation and environmental detail except for specific attention points because you are farther away. It does this in order to reach 60 fps and allow you to move incredibly fast, but still. It uses lighting, and places things where they need to be and puts detail where it needs to and uses things like water and ground deformation where it needs to to bring out the good looks. It is an incredible looking game, but it's hard to compare the two side by side because of what they do differently.

Gears 5 is still masterclass graphics wise, but it still isn't that great aesthetically. And I agree animation and things need more polish. But just on a technical level, the graphics are well engineered and impressive.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Days Gone had a few bugs on PS4, if we're being picky.

Yes, but it wasn't used as an example in the OP.

Does Forza horizon just get overlooked bc it's a racing game? This is the closest thing to RDR2 this gen for me in terms of scale and lighting. Not to mention it can run 4k60 relatively easily on a modest machine.

also what is the technical achievement? having games that can't run at 60fps? these biased polls about graphics and technology make no sense here LOL. If anything, nintendo has the most "technically impressive" games as they have the least horsepower yet pump out quality looking games with beautiful art

PS4 was released in 2013 and people are comparing to games on One X...

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but it wasn't used as an example in the OP.

PS4 was released in 2013 and people are comparing to games on One X...
It actually can't run 4k30 on one x, but it can do 1080p60. PC counts here if we are saying what has best visuals, no? Can't just ignore a platform and say a publisher limited to another one has "the best looking games"
Also does PS4 pro not exist? The games people are talking about (HZD, death stranding, etc) are from first half of the gen?
Do we not include games that support HDR because those are popping up more in later gen?