• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slimes? Boring or No?

• Yay

Votes: 107 24.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 327 75.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
They're often misused, but they can be interesting.

The enemy I'm probably most bored of is Giant Spiders. Not the really huge giant spiders, but the regular ones. They just show up as filler and poison you and web you and both of those are annoying but not really interesting

Bee.Cups

The Fallen
It depends on the series but in general Zombies will always be just zombies and are super boring.

Dead Space avoided this but those aren't technically zombies soo..

Rats in general suck, wolves are usually boring but not always. Very few games make goblins interesting.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I like Chuchus, but specially the Skyward Sword ones that looked like they were melting and shifting in front of you and would react differently depending on if you slice them or threw bombs at them.
The Wind Waker ones also had a really iconic design and led to a really memorable boss fight in Minish Cap.
Bombs-Screen-Large.jpg
mc_scene01.jpg

But the "blob with happy face" that appear in many anime style games are much more generic and I would agree with you there:
atelier-lulua-puni-rangers.jpg

As for what could be more generic than a slime/blob... Probably any human soldier with full black armor and a big gun. I think they have become way more common than skelletons today, and you usually know what they can do as soon as you see them.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Maybe slimes were just DPS checks back in the day for D&D, they can be terrifying now. Some destroy your equipment, even the magical kind, and some straight up engulf you and thanks to bring invisible, can pretty much sneak up on you and do it easily.

I love slimes, they just gotta be used right. Either through other methods of making them dangerous or making them cute.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
as someone whos only a few hours into guardians of the galaxy im gonna vote yes because theyve been like 90% of the enemies so far zzz

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
.In most tabletop games they're an interesting enemy that require interesting solutions to tackle - so Nay.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I'd argue goblin enemies are more boring like the ones in Zelda, Genshin etc

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Slimes and blobs that actually replicate on taking damage are pretty cool. Don't usually mind that mechanic.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Thread backfire? Everyone apparently likes slimes

And: What's the coolest slime enemy? Is there a really well animated goop creature out there?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Slimes at least usually bring a lot of color into games, since they often get elemental variants.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
rats are more boring imo

at least a slime/ooze might be able to do something, even if its bland. a rat just bites or spreads disease as an annoyance, they never have a chance of actually killing you in any game

someone didnt play dishonored or plague tale

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No because of Dragon Quest made their slime adorable and fun to fight with all its variations.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Big slow moving muscle man bullet sponge is the most boring enemy

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Slimes are my wife's favorite enemy in DnD lol. She throws them at new players just waiting for somebody to slice them in half

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The X Parasites from Metroid count as slimes I think, and they're probably my favorite Metroid common enemy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You can subvert expectations with them so no. All you need is the game to throw a near invincible, poison spitting, super fast malicious slime at you and you're toast

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I'm surprised to see so few votes for dogs. I include wolves in the broad category of "dogs".

I couldn't name or remember a dog enemy from any RPG I've ever fought in my life, and I've fought them in quite literally every single one.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I generally think slimes are boring, but I like the ones that split into multiple slimes and/or combine to form larger ones.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody saying DQ yes but every other game no obviously have not played muhfucken RAGNAROK ONLINE. Porings are adorable and I will not accept any slander against them.
YES they are basically recolored DQ slimes but whatever!

card_10001.jpg

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If they have various elemental properties and characteristics, no.

They're also very adorable.

Everybody saying DQ yes but every other game no obviously have not played muhfucken RAGNAROK ONLINE. Porings are adorable and I will not accept any slander against them.
YES they are basically recolored DQ slimes but whatever!

card_10001.jpg
RO also has a slime that you can't touch with physical attacks, literally a ghost.

latest

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if Flans count but one of the best things about the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy is how big they went with awesome jellyish Flan variants.

The Flanotor with siren helmet is a particular favourite.