• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I live outside the US so it may just be because of that but I feel like we hear less about current serial killers these days. We of course hear a lot about mass shootings and terrorist actions and so on, but it just seems like there were more a few decades back, or at least there was more media attention on it. Am I missing something or do you think it has been a dying "trend" so to speak?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I live outside the US so it may just be because of that but I feel like we hear less about current serial killers these days. We of course hear a lot about mass shootings and terrorist actions and so on, but it just seems like there were more a few decades back, or at least there was more media attention on it. Am I missing something or do you think it has been a dying "trend" so to speak?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I watched the recent Nightstalker doc on Netflix and was thinking the same thing. It still happens, but they're either less common or "celebritized" far less often as in the past, which is a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder if mass shootings supplanted serial killers due to better forensics, or maybe potential killers just believe that by watching CSI every night

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I want to say maybe in the past many serial killers preyed on runaways/ladies of the night, and people were afraid of speaking up about missing friends. I know the Green River Killer terrorized this state for years.

We also tended to glorify serial killers by giving them names. Green River Killer, Zodiac Killer. Gave them some notoriety.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely fallen out of fashion. As you said, mass shootings are what the hip kids are getting into these days.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck...

WhyCan'tYouPeopleBeNormal.jpeg

Edit: Jerky and I should be less rude

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
There's still murderers around, yes. I doubt they'll ever be a time where they don't exist anymore. And they are not exclusive to the US.

What even is this question ?

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot harder to get away with it thanks to advancements in forensic evidence and CCTV everywhere.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What kind of a thread is this?

I mean, I was thinking the same thing recently after watching Night Stalker, and thought how most famous serial killers are from the 70s and 80s.

Then a friend of mine pointed out Dont Fuck With Cats and that's about a modern serial killer I believe, that got his victims via instagram and shit?

It's a lot harder to get away with it thanks to advancements in forensic evidence and CCTV everywhere.

yeah this is what I was arguing when he pointed out Dont fuck with cats documentary.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Bruce McArthur

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if mass shootings supplanted serial killers due to better forensics, or maybe potential killers just believe that by watching CSI every night
IIRC, It's a mix of forensics and the fact that investigators were able to put profiles together on serial killers and how their minds work, so it's a lot easier to stop them before they commit multiple homicides.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Yes they're still a thing. There will be ones out there right now that just haven't been caught yet.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
They would be if technology wasn't to the point where they usually get caught relatively quickly, but there are def some out there at all times, it's just not the way it was in the 70's and 80's or even the 90's.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
The FBI has a a stat somewhere about how many active serial killers they believe there are in the US right now.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
The ones we hear about are the ones that kill sex workers or homeless people. People the investigators shrug and say who cares. Until one of them is actually investigated and they link a bunch of them together.

I would imagine most stranger to strangers murders aren't solved but I don't have any data to back that up

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Serial killers are generally considered a different beast than spree killers. Similarities obviously but serial killers are generally a lot harder to catch because of how they go about their business.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this thread is that weird? We sure hear less about serial killers than before. I don't understand some reactions here

Anyway OP we had one in France around 2017, a fucking monster. After he confessed to one murder, other cases were reopened because it fit his pattern.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Well I have autism, so that may be why. But thanks anyway for the suggestion..

Honestly the posts that seem so offended or baffled you thought about it are the weird ones, don't worry about it. It's a completely normal thing to wodner, especially if you watch a lot of true crime documentaries.

I don't think this thread is that weird? We sure hear less about serial killers than before. I don't understand some reactions here

Anyway OP we had one in France around 2017, a fucking monster. After he confessed to one murder, other cases were reopened because it fit his pattern

it's not, its just the usual high horse faction of Era.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
Well I have autism, so that may be why. But thanks anyway for the suggestion..

Sorry, but how was I to know that? "Are serial killers still a thing" is a very strange question to ask.

Edit: Sorry again, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Maybe because I'm Canadian, it's more strange to me to hear a question like that? They're more prevalent here for some reason. Robert Pickton was another "recent" one.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Allegedly, the Chicago Strangler, who killed someone on a walking trail not far from me recently, is said to be active.

OP
OP
Good4Squat

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Honestly the posts that seem so offended or baffled you thought about it are the weird ones, don't worry about it. It's a completely normal thing to wodner, especially if you watch a lot of true crime documentaries.
Thanks, I kinda felt bad to be made out to be some kinda weirdo just for noticing something and sharing it, so thanks to everyone not jumping on the pile on.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't see what's weird about the question itself. There's certainly been a change over the decades in how the media focuses on this kind of stuff, plus the fact that someone being able to pull off multiple murders without being caught is much harder these days than in decades past.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

giphy.gif

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people itt acting like the OP is asking some weird horrible question. Serial killers became a part of American mythology throughout the 70s and 80s and we're living in a true crime boom. Seems reasonable to ask about the decline in prominence.