• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to the quality of life aspect but my grandma with dementia was in a nursing home at the end and it very quickly totally drained the funds of my mother and her three sisters. She left a house which had to be sold to pay for it. If my aunts were able to hold on to that house for just a few more years, it would have exploded in value, as the houses in that area did. Very unfortunate financial situation.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
My great grandma lived in a assisted living apartment that was attached to a nursing home. The apartment was a normal apartment by all accounts, but as she got older she moved over to the nursing home. The nursing home is just a depressing place to be. People just sitting in wheelchairs in the hallways. My great grandma's roommate just crying out "help me" (to which we were told to ignore it because she does it all the time). The staff was super nice and at no point seemed neglectful, but at some point you are in a place filled with people whose mental and physical faculties are deteriorating. It's just a tough environment to be in.

My grandpa was in his mid 80s. He had been dealing with MS for 40 years, had zero use of his legs, and his rotator cuffs were failing because of decades having to lift his entire body with his arms to get into bed, use the bathroom, etc. But he was of sound mind, and having seen his two siblings go through protacted, painful, end-of-life situations, he just decided to go out on his own terms and intentionally starved/dehydrated himself (see VSED). He absolutely did not want to spend his final years in a nursing home and I respected the hell out of his decision.

Apr 25, 2020
If you're working class, yes they're absolute hell holes. They may as well be a slightly more outwardly appealing prison.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I've been a Rehab Director at two and understaffed is usually the case. Even the good employees can't possibly do enough. If it's just for rehab they should be okay but no to Long Term Care. Assisted livings can be nice but get home health or a foster home for your care.

May 14, 2021
Even the good ones are struggling with staffing now. I had to put my grandmother in a rehab facility for a few months that was also a nursing home and it was top rated for decades. Covid ravaged their staffing and I regret choosing it. They left her laying in her own shit for hours and orderlies ignored written directives about how to move her given her condition(broken spine) and they made her worse.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
My grandmother was in a nice one due to dementia in her later years. I've also made visits to a lot of these places, both nice and not so nice as part of my job. It really depends on how much you're spending and how high the required level of care is. The lesser quality options have far less privacy, far less staff, and just feel run down. As a result, the quality of care can suffer dramatically. Unfortunately, sometimes even the more not-as-nice ones are safer options than people's home situation for a variety of reasons. I've always found them really sad. Even the super nice ones I've been to just feel kinda off to me. They can have really nice facilities, rooms, etc., but there is still something about them that depresses me. Also the smell of whatever cleaner they use, I really don't like it, even in the nicer places.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
They're both better and worse, sometimes in the same facility.

I worked at assisted living for a while, and there are so many variables that can affected care. I've seen real love and concern emerge between employees and long term residents, but I've also seen neglect and indifference.

I think the core is that the nice facilities skimp on employees, so it's a recipe for shortstaffing and burnout. Like, when caring for human beings becomes mathematical (i.e. "hit" 8 rooms in the next hour), the level of care naturally becomes a secondary concern.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
So there are a wide range of options that are good and bad when people talk about "retirement homes".

That can range from anywhere from senior housing with a small amount of on call assisted living services to full blown hospice care (basically end of life care).

From experience with the elderly family members that I've had in the past, for most people it's going to be cheaper and easier to just live out your days at home with in home hospice/nurse care which I believe Medicare/insurance actually covers. Retirement communities are generally for the social aspect or if they have a daily disability that they have to work through (dementia, mobility problems like not getting to the bathroom, etc.).

Depending on your needs, I think the goal for most people is to avoid them altogether even if they're not all bad.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
The one my grandpa picked for himself was minimal care. He got pneumonia and nobody noticed until my dad called and asked them to check on my grandpa.

The one my dad moved him to afterwards was extravagant. My grandpa kept asking if he was at the Jonathan Club.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
As a doctor currently visiting tons (as in multiple dozens) of homes because of the pandemic (in Germany) and from my grandmothers I can echo the general sentiment: Staff usually care and the facilities are good but they're always understaffed.

All are expensive, but the best ones are not necessarily the best ones. The ones were turnover in staff is lower the relationship between caregivers and residents is usually better, but you can't go by size or beds to get an indication of that, word of mouth is best for this - unless you're a doctor and see in real life situations how everyone is treated without relatives there. However, it also very much depends on the old people. Some are impossible to keep tidy and content, even well fed and hydrated, be it dementia or stubbornness in people resenting the fact that they live there and can't care for themselves (or that their nagging partner is with them and did not stay at home 🥴). If someone doesn't drink anymore and pulls out IVs or their peg tube what are you gonna do, have them fixated at all times? Hospitals have the same problem, both staff wise and with more challenging patients, so it must not be elder abuse if someones grandma is smeared with filth and underweight, it could very well be that she was cleaned up minutes earlier, trust me. Of course stuff like unkept rooms and bad feet care can be indications, but even there you'd be shocked how unhygienic some well put together seeming people of all ages can be. There definitely are ones that are at least poorly run and not that hygienic, though, but the only instance of violence I witnessed was actually in the most renowned and exclusive one 😳

Even with all these caveats it is often the best option, though. Not always. That's why it always has to be a decision best agreed upon by everyone in the family and ideally involving social services and the primary care doctor - who usually has a decent grasp on local homes from my experience, since most here continue doing "house consultation" for their patients in care homes.

So get her doctors and your mother and your grandmother involved, look at the money side of things, see if the mental and physical strain on both your mother and grandmother is tolerable (and it IS straining for both parent and child once the roles reverse), see if live-in caretakers or a visiting caretaker are a thing around you and if the accommodation in your mother's place can be made adequate.

Personally I know that my grandfather really struggled with his conscience to put my grandma into a care home. Even with visiting careers it wasn't a fit place to live for her, though, even if he had promised her she'd never have to leave their house. She was so gone with her dementia she'd accuse him of breaking in and told what'd happen once her husband came home, lock out her caretakers, hide yogurt behind the space heater and eat it even if it went bad, fell repeatedly, kept drinking secretly, stuff like that. In her home she lived blissfully, holding hands with other people as far gone as her, told everyone she was a little girl and actually gained weight.

Long post, because seeing old peole quarantined with SARS-CoV-2 (and a year ago dying from Covid-19) is currently my daily bread and butter, so it's on my mind a lot.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
They are horrible, at least based on what I remember of my grandfather's situation when I was a kid.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Like anything, if you have money for constant personal care it's great. Otherwise it's all but a hospice in name, except that in a hospice you get to die with more dignity.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
They are generally awful and lonely. And even worse are homes for people with Alzheimer's and Dementia. Even money doesn't help there.

I've been touring assisted living facilities for my dad lately and the ones I've gone to have memory care units. Depending on the place, it could be entirely segregated or with some crossover to just the assisted side. Luckily my dad converted his life insurance to long term care insurance after my mother passed. It should give us about $9k/month in payments which would allow us any place in the area if my dad would actually agree. His dementia got much worse after a recent hospital stay and we're seeing if there is any bounce back before making long term plans.

Just have to watch out for the facilities that provide things more for the children of the residents like pools and movie theaters instead of things the residents would actually use. I have no doubt that at the price we can afford, it would be great care. But even in the best places, they won't have a person with a resident 24/7.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
I have some clients who live in the good nursing homes, and they cost between $100-$300k a year. Absolutely breathtaking when I look at their bills. I just hope they're worth it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My maternal grandparents had a retirement fund that they basically blew through entirely staying in an upscale retirement home (mostly my grandma as my grandpa passed away within a few months of moving there). It was nice but expensive as hell, eventually it was cheaper to move my grandma to an apartment with nurses before she passed away too. I have to imagine as others said it really depends on the money you're willing to spend.

I'm very thankful that my paternal grandpa in his 90s is still mentally and physically fit and doesn't have to go to a place like that. He's my last living grandparent.

Sep 15, 2020
My friend's family has her grandmother in a $4000-8000 / mo range home. Lower cost if you stay with a roommate and no assistance. Higher costs if you want assisted living care.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They're not so bad in my country. I work in one. Understaffed, underpaid, overworked to the bone, but workers in the field are usually on it because they're good carers and find the work truly meaningful. Those who don't, don't last in this line of work.

With that said I rather have a bullet to the head than Alzheimer's.