• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Killzone 2 is a must play, such great art direction and sound design - good variety between levels; If you have surround sound crank it up and prepare for an experience - they use heavy anti-aliasing and film grain so it has a very soft look to it - it works well for this game. Probably my favorite fps campaign. If you end up liking killzone 2, 3 is a good sequel to it with co-op; though it's not as much of a masterpiece.

Resistance 1 was a good FPS, but it is probably sort of dated - the co op mode was the best thing. It's a very brown/grey game, though it sort of helps it maintain the whole ww2 time premise.
Resistance 2 (the campaign) was really not that good, it had an amazing unique online co op mode (though I don't think that's there anymore)
Resistance 3 is the most modern, it's a solid game and worthwhile.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the opinion of the original Resistance has rested where it should have been from the start. After playing it, I had no idea why it got the love it got on GAF.

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting back in. Finished Resistance 2 today, and I've been playing Resistance 3 for a few hours. So far I'd say 1 had the most interesting settings, 3 has the overall best gameplay and best graphics, and 2.. well, at least it ties the story together.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing most other posters -- but KZ2 is really good.
It has a different feel than most shooters and holds up in how unique the encounters feel. Speaking for myself, but shooting is imprecise and chaotic. It makes some of the engagements feel wild and I enjoy that.

The art design is super gritty and depressing. It's well done. I'd love to see guerilla make another killzone in this style. They "fixed" the aiming responsiveness and drab color palette in the follow up games, but that's what I liked about the game.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killzone 2 is the best out of these, but Resistance 3 is incredibly fun as well. Excellent campaign. Resistance 1 was pretty good back then. The post WW2 setting and the old weapons with sci fi touches worked. The game was really intense and challenging.

Its Resistance 2 I disliked. Weapon limit, very bad level design with invisible walls that kill you and the contrast was fucked up. Couldn't see shit in shadows.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You've missed nothing. Resistance 3 is probably the best of all of them, but it's still pretty standard.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
The Resistance franchise is my favorite FPS of all time. The one caveat is that it has a massive identity problem.

As a huge Insomniac fan, Fall of Man sold me on the PS3. At the time it was a great shooter, that felt very old shool. It had an interesting setting, fun weapons, and a world that promoted fun gameplay by allowing you to experiment with those weapons.

Then Resistance 2 had an identity crisis. It tried to follow the trends of the industry. It adopted a restrictive 2 gun system, ditched the more challenging segmented health and health pick ups in favor of regenerating health, and got rid of campaign co-op. Despite all of these complaints, it did still manage to do some impressive things with scope and scale, and the ending is one of the most audacious in memory.

Resistance 3, easily the best of the three, was a return to the series' roots. The old school design mentality was back and the campaign is regarded by many as one of the best in the genre. Sadly, the transgressions of R2 and the timing of R3's release doomed it as far as sales were concerned. It's one of those games were the critical reception and sales figures are hugely disproportionate. It's a pity, because there's still so much more for the franchise to explore.

As for Killzone, the franchise has a few bright moments, but almost nothing about the games impressed me other than the graphics. After 5 games, I still haven't found anything to really make me want to care about the games, characters, or world.

Also, if you haven't tried Ratchet & Clank, whether that be the series in general or just the Future series installments, they're worth a look.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
As an Xbox 360 guy, I didn't get a PS3 until late in the system's life. Fortunately I've been able to go back and play a lot of the classic exclusives that defined the system: The Last of Us, InFamous 1 and 2, the Uncharted trilogy, the Yakuza games, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, and others. But two franchises I never got around to playing were the two big exclusive FPS series - Resistance 1-3 and Killzone 2+3. I played a bit of Killzone 1 on PS2 and found it pretty much a half-hearted attempt to make an edgy dudebro FPS but I've heard the second two games improved upon the formula. And Resistance always felt, again, like an attempt to make a brown dark dudebro FPS that defined that era of games.

That said, all 5 games are pretty cheap right now, and given that I never got a hold of them through any other means (for example, through PS+ when they had PS3 games available) I'm thinking about grabbing them. Is it worth it? Or should I skip these games?
Resistance is actually much different from the other fps in that era. It's got a Half Life vibe in it definitely, especially the third one.

Unfortunately, the second game took the modern fps route, with self regenerating health and just 2 weapons to carry, along with major differences in how the story and charachters are handled. R3 luckily reverted back to the style of the first game and doubled down on the Half Life inspiration

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Of the ones I have completed:

Resistance 1: Good.
Resistance 2: Bad.
Resistance 3: Great.

Killzone 3: Good-ish.
Killzone Mercenary: Good

Oct 27, 2017
Resistance 3 is the best one. It is so fun and the campaign is so damn varied. Not to mention the really amazing atmosphere and art style.

Killzone 2 is great as well but it has input lag issues and the MP is down. Still amazing though.

Resistance 1 is a bit outdated nowadays but it might be worth a try cause it is still fun.

Resistance 2 is meh. It has a really good co op mode but aside from that it is very meh.

Killzone 3 is less interesting than Killzone 2. It is a safe sequel but the controls are better than 2.

Killzone Mercenary is really good if you have a Vita. It has missions that can be done in different ways and is very replayable.

Resistance Retribution is a third person game on the PSP and it is really fun as well. Different from the rest of the series.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
As an Xbox 360 guy, I didn't get a PS3 until late in the system's life. Fortunately I've been able to go back and play a lot of the classic exclusives that defined the system: The Last of Us, InFamous 1 and 2, the Uncharted trilogy, the Yakuza games, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, and others. But two franchises I never got around to playing were the two big exclusive FPS series - Resistance 1-3 and Killzone 2+3. I played a bit of Killzone 1 on PS2 and found it pretty much a half-hearted attempt to make an edgy dudebro FPS but I've heard the second two games improved upon the formula. And Resistance always felt, again, like an attempt to make a brown dark dudebro FPS that defined that era of games.

That said, all 5 games are pretty cheap right now, and given that I never got a hold of them through any other means (for example, through PS+ when they had PS3 games available) I'm thinking about grabbing them. Is it worth it? Or should I skip these games?
Wait a minute here, you mentioned franchises that defined the system and didnt mention LBP, Motorstorm and even the superb Warhawk? what is wrong with you? and yes they are worth playing still, as a matter of fact i started playing Resistance 3 like 2 days ago on psnow. Killzone 2 multiplayer was the bomb though.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Wait a minute here, you mentioned franchises that defined the system and didnt mention LBP, Motorstorm and even the superb Warhawk? what is wrong with you? and yes they are worth playing still, as a matter of fact i started playing Resistance 3 like 2 days ago on psnow. Killzone 2 multiplayer was the bomb though.

Unfortunately I never played games like Starhawk, Warhawk, and MAG...kicking myself since there's no point now that their servers are offline.

LBP I played and liked but didn't include, sorry. Motorstorm, probably should play that.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Played through Resistance 3 recently and that definitely holds up. Man do I love the gadgets and weapons Insomniac come up with!

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Killzone 2/3 and Resistance 3 have excellent campaigns in my opinion. Real showcases for the PS3 in their time.