• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are DS controllers bad?

• Yes

Votes: 820 28.1%
  • Nah

Votes: 2,099 71.9%

• Total voters

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
My Dualshock 4s have been much better than my Joy Con. Besides my launch DS4 that had the peeling thumbstick issue, they've all been great and have lasted for hundreds and hundreds of hours with basically no issues. Meanwhile, my Joy Con (which has seen relatively small amount of use, maybe 100 hours at this point) gets bad drift about every two weeks. I fix it with the WD-40 electrical contact cleaner but the problem inevitably comes back a few weeks later. And those controllers are way more expensive to replace, especially considering they're never on sale.

Haven't used any XB1 controllers so I can't comment on those.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I've only had 2 and that's just because one was from my launch PS4 and the other was from my Pro. The only controller that I've had problems with this gen is my 1st gen XB1 elite controller was losing the rubber grip but I bought a V2 to replace it.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
No issues so far from my 4 years old DS4 controller or my newer 2 years old one. feels wise, much better than DS3 :P

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The design is fine, but I've always felt the materials and build quality are rather cheap.

Especially after you pick up and use something like a Switch Pro controller.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I've had one since before the PS4 was even out in the U.S. Only things I've had to replace were the joystick caps, and that's not a problem unique to DS4s.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I have two controllers - a white one that I got whenever it originally released, and that I've used the most. It has developed a tiny crack in the left thumbstick rubber, which probably doesn't bode well for the future of that thumbstick's cap, but then again, it's been through six years of use. I also have a black one that came with PS4 Pro, and that I'm using more lately. No problems with that one at all.
I also had another black one that came with regular PS4, but I've sold it with PS4 when I was buying Pro. Also had no problems with that one, but I've used it less than the white one, during the period that I've owned both. So overall, I've had zero actual problems with either of them, but will probably eventually have to replace one thumbstck cover on the one I used the most.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
i've only gone through one PS4 controller and that's because I stepped on it; other than that mine have been fantastic.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The battery is certainly awful, so it makes the controller truly terrible in my eyes. The actual form of the controller though? It's fine.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Haven't had any issues with the controllers. The battery life is pretty terrible, though. It's even worse if you own a Switch Pro controller, because you're constantly reminded that you could power through 2-4 PlayStation Studios games on a single charge if you could use the Pro controller.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
So, through 4-5 years of owning a ps4, I've gone through 5 dualshock controllers, the first jet black colored one that came with my base ps4 was the one that lasted longer more than 2 years of playing every day, and every single controller after that, I start having problems with it from the first 3 to 6 months, more notably drifting with the analog sticks. Now i'm doubting that colored Dualshock controllers might have quality issues and the jet black ones might be better.

How long does Dualshock 4 controllers last for you? And Have you had problems with em?

I'm still using the launch pad from 2013, although I've replaced the torn coating on the analogue sticks. I actually like it more this way, as the added Orb tops make them more convex, like the DS3 sticks were. My thumbs don't slip so easily with them. I might use those on the DS5 as well.

Here's a pic of them:
O7MaleW.jpg

The downside is, that the launch pad has the worst battery charge of them all; about 5-6 hours, compared to the one that came with the Pro, that lasts about 8-9 hours. Hundreds of hours of Let It Die and Destiny 1+2, where you push the left stick to run, has ruined two later pads for me, including the Pro one.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
It's ok I guess, definitely not terrible like Dualshock 3.
Build quality wise I think Xbox one controllers are much better. Especially the triggers.
The biggest problem I have with Dualshocks is symmetrical analog sticks that strains my thumb. Almost got cramp while playing Uncharted.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with the DS4 is how thin the metal is on the trigger springs. They are hair thin and break.

I would like to get tougher springs, but haven't had any luck.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
The plastic on the thumbsticks is poor quality, it went away just after few months (I play a lot). Other than that is fine, my dog even chewed it and still worked.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I still use the ones I got around launch. Besides the analog rubber tearing (I read that was fixed on later iterations), the controller works fine.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are still using the two original controllers we got with the launch PS4. Everything still works, nothing has rubbed off. We use the PS4 for TV too. I don't understand how people's controllers break so quickly or when people complain about them getting grubby.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
my brother got his ps4 in 2014 and has the same Dual Shock that came with it. Still works great. I've only had good experiences with the Dual Shock 4.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Quality is bad.
Have bought 5 of them since 2014 and only 2 them work right now.

That's 300€ spent on controllers over 6 years.... not great but considering the hours of usage 50€ a year isn't too bad.

Really hope the DualSense comes will be available as an Elite/Pro Version like Xbox does.

Gamepads are the only Part of the console I touch, so it would be nice to have the option to get a superior (first party) device.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Still on my launch controllers. Haven't even taken the one that came with the pro out of the box as it isn't needed.

The only issues I've had with my launch controllers is one stick started drifting to the left. Have it a good clean and it's spot on again.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The design is fine, but I've always felt the materials and build quality are rather cheap.

Especially after you pick up and use something like a Switch Pro controller.

My best (amateur) guess would be that Sony had to cut some corners to make 60 €/$ work.
There is a speaker and a touch pad built in after all. Whether you like/need that is a different story.

The comparison with the Switch Pro (love mine) is kinda unfair.
Came out 4 years later and doesn't offer many features. USB C and the battery amazing tho.

All in all it's nice that this gen all gamepads are pretty good.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
As far as build quality, both of my DS4's have held up pretty well. The older one has worn down grip on the thumbsticks, but I bought some of those little nub things to put on them, and my newer red controller is in near perfect condition.

From a design perspective, it's definitely my favorite controller ever at this point. Shape, Dpad, stick placement, triggers, everything is basically how I'd want it. Only real complaints are the terrible battery life and the light bar being a bit distracting.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with the DS4 is how thin the metal is on the trigger springs. They are hair thin and break.

I would like to get tougher springs, but haven't had any luck.
I just reassembled a DS4 the other day and learned about the trigger springs. How are you using the controller to make them break? I have literally never heard anyone complain about that.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Mine are fine. Battery life is ass and trying to swap batteries with ones twice the size is annoying, but they're fine. Great for emulators.

Oct 27, 2017
That, or I'm heavy handed*; I've gone through 5 of them. All involved a borked right trigger. My last one held out the longest, but I broke it too on Control a couple of weeks ago. Solution? Buy a DS4 pad without triggers. (Hori Wired Mini Gamepad.)

*This may well be the case.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still using the DS4 that came with the vanilla PS4 that I bought on launch day. I don't think this is a widespread problem at all, at least not on the level of something like the joycon drift.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of feel and grip alone, it's the best Playstation controller to me. It's the first one that I can actually tolerate. D-pad is still shit though. Can only play fighting games for about 20-30 minutes before my fingers are completely sore from the D-Pad and I have to take out the arcade stick. I can believe OP went through 5 different controls. I've had my PS4 since 2017, and both of the controllers are perfectly fine.

I've said it a million times, but it was a complete missed opportunity for Sony not to put the Playstation Vita D-Pad design on the console controllers.

Edit: Oh and battery life, it is awful. Worst device I've ever had for battery life. I shouldn't have to charge a controller every single day, when I can go weeks without charging the Switch pro-controller.

OP
OP
AllMight1

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
My newest controller has drift on the sticks and the oldest is just fine. Im gonna buy only black DS4s from now on, i feel like those have the best quality control from experience.

Sep 28, 2019
My controller messed up after I finished with RDR2, it's my fault really that fishing mini game was my life so I don't blame anyone else but me. My new one has had no problems and I'm treating well. My switch Joycons on the other hand are bad like atrocious level of bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Still have my DS4 from 2014 or 2015, no problems with it. And my DS3 from 2008 or 2009 is still trucking along. And my DS2 from 2005 or 2006 still work fine. Are you guys letting dogs maul your controllers or something since you go through so many of them? 🤔

Edit: I think I still have my OG non-analog PS1 controller from 1997 in working condition too.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am playing on PS consoles since day1, none of my PS controllers ever broke. Only ever bought another one to have two for each console generation.

mORTEN

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I only have slight issues with battery life. The build quality doesn't fell too hot though. It creaks if you twist it just a bit in your hands.
Must have been super lucky, cause I've had zero drifting issues on either Xbox, PS or Switch controllers. Never had one break on me, and I play a lot.
I've got two Xbox one controllers with one of the d-pad buttons needing to be pushed a little harder, but that's it.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
PlayStation controllers have always felt cheap and flimsy to me, the quality of plastic, the clipless design, and the battery life of the DualShock 4 in particular.

I have had 4 of them over the life time of the console and two of them are unusable, and another has an analog stick that gets stuck.

So it's a yes from me, but results may vary. It sucks because it's my favourite controller design, too.

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
I still have my 2 day one dualshocks still in perfect working condition. I cant say the same about my joycons tho.

Gurvyy

Animator at TeamTo
Verified
Nov 30, 2017
France
Depending of the taste of people I guess.

For my part, I like it, since the first playstation. It was my first pad in hand (coming from PC using Keyboard and mouse mainly). I've gotten used of it's shape, and the sticks position. When was trying and xbox pad, I just feeled inconfotable with the inverse D-Pad et left stick... for me it's not natual.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Both my DS4 controllers suffer from drifting. The one that came with the Pro is much better than the second one I bought though. I don't know what's with the quality of controllers these days but I don't remember any of my 3 DS3 having drifting problems.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
My 2 haven't had any problems besides the OG 2014 one having a really weak battery life now.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
The battery is certainly awful, so it makes the controller truly terrible in my eyes. The actual form of the controller though? It's fine.

I've never had an issue with the battery on any of my controllers but with rechargeable devices I've lived by the rule of not charging until empty and not unplugging the charge cable till it's full. Some of my rechargeable devices are still going strong such as my 12yo iPod classic, my Vita to mention a few.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Design wise they're the best controllers (yes, better than the Switch Pro).

What they lack is durability/build quality.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think both PS4 and Xbox One controllers are excellently designed in terms of functionality and comfort but also both terribly designed in terms of build quality and toughness. I've never known a generation where more of my controllers have had faults/breakages. From terrible rubber on sticks, to USB sockets failing/going wonky, to stick drift to rumble motors coming loose. It's been a shitshow all around.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Still have my DS4 from 2014 or 2015, no problems with it. And my DS3 from 2008 or 2009 is still trucking along. And my DS2 from 2005 or 2006 still work fine. Are you guys letting dogs maul your controllers or something since you go through so many of them? 🤔
Ironically the one I actually mauled with my work boots is the only controller that doesn't malfunction in some way.

All the others have analog stick drift. As mentioned in my post earlier, only one can be chalked up to L3 abuse. One started drifting after a month of barely playing, meaning it was likely busted from the get-go. The other started after 4 months of regular, even careful handling.

If anything I find it hard to believe (and am jealous of) some people haven't had problems with their dualshock 4s at all.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My two DS4s are almost 4 years old at this point and they're in perfect condition. Even the analog stick rubber coating is pretty much completely textured.

My only surviving DS3 is the one that came with my Super Slim, I think I bought that in 2014 or something? Yeah, they were fucking horrible.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
the battery life isn't the greatest but it's acceptable. the torch/touch pad are a waste of space but they don't make it a bad controller.

other than that i'm quite happy with the DS4. i prefer the XB1 controller but i've had to replace it a few times because of drifting. no such fault on any of the DS4 controllers i've owned (nor Joycons while i'm at it...)

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to my 360 controller, yeah, they're cheap, both DS3 and DS4. I had a malfunction on both of them, unlike the 360 one. And fuck that blue bar.