• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Now that Prima Games has been sold to another company and (for now) is exclusively making digital-only content, they were really the last ones making strategy guides. BradyGames merged with them in 2015 after Penguin and Random House merged who owned each on their own IIRC.

Penguin Random House are seemingly specifically credited with the production of the Pokemon Let's Go guide, so maybe there's hope that they'll make a Sword and Shield guide.

What ever happened to Piggyback and Double Jump? They seemed to be more smaller, niche folks compared to Prima but haven't really stepped to the plate to take over from where Prima left off. I believe Nintendo worked with Piggyback on the BOTW guide oddly enough.

So what's the story regarding the future of physical strategy guides going forward? Anyone know?

(And a moment of silence for Versus Books who can never be topped IMO. :'( )

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah?

Is there really a point to them considering you can just go online to find everything now?

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah?

Is there really a point to them considering you can just go online to find everything now?

I firmly believe there's something to physical guides. There's just a charm with having them in your hand with nice pictures and the like. Plus they're great reading material. Couldn't you ask the same of comics?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't bought a print guide since 2005. It's a shame since I like the maps and concept art they usually come with.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Yes. For most games, they are only interesting to a tiny fraction of the hardcore fan base as collector's items. Everyone else is better served by free online resources, especially as games keep changing over time after release.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

Hell, even when they weren't, some physical strategy guides just directed you to the website to access parts of the guide.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Even though I don't feel like they're necessary in an age where cheat phone lines aren't a thing, they can still be nice merch.
I'm happy with my shiny Smash guide, although it inevitably went out of date the moment a balance patch was introduced.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I think the only times i ever wanted a guide were for Final Fantasy X, XII, XV (didnt really need lol) and like Grandia 3 / Radiata Stories or somethin. They are nice for some big jrpgs but i dont see them really being successful for other genre of games.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Yeah. Paperback guides exist as a fixed point in the modern-day game's life. Patches and free online resources make this a environment impossible for these things to live in. A day 1 patch can render some parts of a guide worthless.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, everything is online for free.

But I didn't knew that LG has a guide, I may buy it because I'm a sucker for Pokemon.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
OP you got me kinda wanting to buy the BOTW guide book just to read through it, haha.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've watched my son pour over the BotW strategy book like a religious text, so there must be some life in them still. I don't think a website would have resulted in the same engagement and interest.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yes everything is online and games change after release often that strategies or tricks that are in those guides are outdated day 1. Artbooks are not dead though there are some really good ones out there.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. After the advent and popularization of internet, not only strategy guides but the whole print gaming media got obsolete real quick.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to miss special edition physical guides with goodies, but I cant say I wont be happy to get stuff like the marked map as an easy to scroll pdf vs having a gigantic ass foldable paper on the couch next to me for my dog to come and sit right on top of. IT'S NOT EVEN COMFORTABLE.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Every game has hours of video guides before the game is even out and once a game is out it has 3 patches week 1 and the guide is useless. Yes they are dead.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
kotaku.com

How Final Fantasy IX's Strategy Guide Turned Out So Horrible (And Other Answers From A Veteran Guide Writer)

“The thing about strategy guide publishing is that it’s a parasitic industry,” says Doug Walsh, who spent 18 years writing video game guides for the two biggest publishers, BradyGames and Prima. Perhaps that’s why the infamous Final Fantasy IX guide turned out the way it did.

Have to be honest, this guide probably contributed to me not liking FFIX as much as the other 2 PS1 Final Fantasy games.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I dont really feel like many games need guides any more. I don't want to say everything easy exactly, just that games seem to point you in the right direction a lot better than they used to. Maybe they are cool as a collectible or something.