• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Atlus for example tends to have very good collector's editions and they are pretty affordable. Persona 5 Royal CE was stacked and I only paid 90 euros for that. A lot of developers are charging >200 for a wanky looking statue and a map though. Big no to those. Capcom, Ubisoft and Square come to mind.

I like owning collector's editions for games that I really enjoyed and that are meaningful to me in some capacity, but I will admit that I do own some collector's editions that I could get rid of. The main reason is that a CE is generally acquired through a preorder, and there have been some games that ended up disappointing me slightly.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus for example tends to have very good collector's editions and they are pretty affordable. Persona 5 Royal CE was stacked and I only paid 90 euros for that. A lot of developers are charging >200 for a wanky looking statue and a map though. Big no to those. Capcom, Ubisoft and Square come to mind.
Kind of a odd time to mention Atlus with the Soul Hackers 2 CE about to go onsale. $200 for that

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
After years and decades of collecting these things, there will come a moment where most people who don't rely on a YouTube channel for income will realise they've ruined their home and now need to invest a lot of time and effort into offloading all that tat they have no space for and are embarrassed by.

Happened to me.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I used to experience FOMO from not buying collector's editions, then I started having to use my own money to pay for games when I hit 18 and that shit died real quick. I think the only CE I've bought since I turned 18 was Xenoblade 2. Games are expensive enough as is.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Only ones I have genuinely liked were Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3.

I got TitanFall 2s and it was OK, but I did not love it as much.

Last edited:

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
Usually they're not worth it but there's a few collector editions that I like, mostly CE with decent/high quality statues since I like displaying those. I still got the RE2make Leon statue in a display case, though I'm always more cautious now since CE statues vary a lot in quality.

I like a good art book too.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

Also, this has got to be one of the funniest ones:

462203_egg-noscale.jpg

this one and Dragon Age Inquisition one are the best !

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I have five.

Fire Emblem Fates (to get the extra third story line)
All three Starcraft 2 Collector's Editions (Have a good amount of content, and it's a cool focal point of my collection)
Metroid Dread (basically for re-sell someday)

I really don't think they are worth it - but it's nice to have a few for certain reasons.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
After years and decades of collecting these things, there will come a moment where most people who don't rely on a YouTube channel for income will realise they've ruined their home and now need to invest a lot of time and effort into offloading all that tat they have no space for and are embarrassed by.

Happened to me.

Woof, this is me now. I have a stack of this crap in my basement family room, waiting for me to figure out the new tax rules for Ebay/Paypal.

To make it worse, I'm also hoarding empty boxes from packages we receive. Gotta have something to ship them in and some aren't friendly sizes. At least most of Nintendo's CE's are small enough to go on a bookshelf.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
No, but for special games dear to my heart like Metroid Dread and Elden Ring I will still buy them.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I don't think I've ever bought a collectors edition, but I have some limited editions with steelbooks and art books which is about all I like

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We've only done a Collector's Edition for Cosmic Star Heroine, but I think it was a good collector's edition. Complete soundtrack, nostalgic Sega CD reproduction case, a huge, fancy instruction book that doubles as an art book, and various odds & ends.

In general though, I feel like other than Working Designs' releases (which were like really nice collector's editions even though they were the general release and weren't drastically overpriced), most collector's editions aren't worth it. Like I'm a huge Atlus fan, but I'm not spending $200 + shipping to buy a physical copy of Soul Hackers 2 with miscellaneous stuff, when I can just buy the game digitally for a fraction of the price.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I will only really consider a collectors edition if it includes the sound track. Even then, I'd prefer games that have music I enjoy. One of the best video game purchases I ever made was getting the Super Smash Bros for 3ds/wii U Smashing Soundtrack.

However as a long time Sega Fan, this was a thing of beauty and amazingly priced at $40:
813PRSCwmJL._SL1500_.jpg

It's big, dumb, and I love it.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I like art books, if they are on quality paper.

I don't like statues (they take up space, are normally poorly painted and break easily if resin). I don't like huge over-sized boxes, mini-soundtracks on USBs that I'll never listen to, keyrings, coins, postcards, and posters that are folded up to fit in the box. It's all just a pile of mass-produced cheap tat, sold to gamers as 'collectors items', that doesn't justify the massive increased cost to me.

I've got at least 3 games that were shipped with steel books that I didn't want, I just end up throwing the metal box in the recycling.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Halo 2 Limited Edition was good.

Only cost $10 extra, came with a steel case and an exclusive behind the scenes DVD filled with cut content.

Miss me with lame clutter garbage like art books, pins, stickers, statues, etc.

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy
I like art books, if they are on quality paper.

I don't like statues (they take up space, are normally poorly painted and break easily if resin). I don't like huge over-sized boxes, mini-soundtracks on USBs that I'll never listen to, keyrings, coins, postcards, and posters that are folded up to fit in the box. It's all just a pile of mass-produced cheap tat, sold to gamers as 'collectors items', that doesn't justify the massive increased cost to me.
I came to say it, art books are the only extra-thing I wanna buy right now, gaming related.
A steelbook here and there if it has really good art and the original cover doesn't (because usually game logo art > main character close-up)

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nah. I like a good art book, steelbook case, or something like Skyward Sword with the Wiimote, but most come with junk or incredibly cheap figures/statues that aren't worth the price. I also hate soundtrack/art samplers and would much prefer the full ones.

I really liked the Ni No Kuni one since I wanted the wizard book (I have the Japanese one from the DS game and wanted one that was translated, even if the books differ in some ways). The plushie was also really cute. That pre-order was another shit show that I barely managed to get.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
For me? Absolutely not. As much as I love video games, I've never given a modicum of shit about gaming ephemera and collector's crap - even when it's surrounding my favorite things. The only times I've sprung for more than the base edition are instances where expansions, DLC, and other meaningful in-game content was included. Otherwise, it's just burning money that could be going towards actual games.

Now that I'm 100% digital I suspect there is zero chance I'll ever buy a Collector's/Limited Edition at this point.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
For me personally, Atlus has made great special editions that also share consistency, making them easy to stack next to each other.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Arguably, the non-statue version of the BOTW CE is one of the few I've had a tremendous amount of use for as the Switch case it comes with has been with me through thick and thin at this point.

Yep, agreed. This is the only collector's edition that I don't even remotely regret purchasing -- the Switch case is still holding up great.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
nope. all i need is a steelbook and pretty frequently they come at no extra cost if you preorder.

i do like artbooks but i can't build a collection of those. i already have my book space spoken for.

i still got the xenoblade 3 though. for some reason i just really wanted this one.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I think they are ridiculous. I asked Lou from my collectors edition of death stranding (the life size replica of a baby in a pod) and she agrees as well.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I think that depends entirely on the buyer. They aren't worth it for me cause I'm not a collector of this kind of stuff. Maybe for someone who collects statues it's worth it, cause most collector's editions comes with statues of main characters or something else like that.

I'm a comic book collector though, mostly Omnibus and hardcovers, so I'd pay the same price for something I do collect, but wouldn't pay for a video game collector's edition.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly deep down I know that steelbooks only collect dust, but damn if it's not guilty pleasure of mine.

img_20220114_180647y8jhe.jpg

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously most CEs aren't worth it. I value artbooks and good alternative cover art over pointless stickers and digital pack ins.

For the dollar value, the Halo Reach limited edition is still one of the best ones ever released. They really went ham on it and it felt like quality. I have the Xenoblade Chronicles X as well and dug the artbook. Metroid Dread had a wonderful big box CE recently. Other than that most CEs have been missed for me in recent years.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly deep down I know that steelbooks only collect dust, but damn if it's not guilty pleasure of mine.

img_20220114_180647y8jhe.jpg
This is beautiful. All those alternative arts being able to breathe makes them look.so much nicer as well. I don't really collect steelbooks specifically unless they come with the CE I buy but if I did it would be for being able to display like this.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally subjective. If you are asking if the value of the extra gadgets and items you usually get in a CE are actually worth the extra money they charge for it, then hell no! The markup on any CE is crazy.

However if owning a limited run of plastic figurine, poster or whatever related item, for a game or franchise you really love makes you happy, then go for it. Why not.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Usually never. Rarely there's a good one worth the extra bit either for unique in game content or a really cool art piece or even better functional usable item. But that's definitely the exception.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I've been a sucker for them as of late. Generally If i'm really excited, fan of the series, or hyped for a game, I'll usually get it. Unless it's something atrocious like those Marvel Vs Capcom infinite Easter Eggs having the nerve to be called infinity stones
m23657119027_1.jpg

Nov 5, 2017
When I was younger, yeah. Would always try to get them. Only ones I still have is the Fallout 3 lunch box with the bobblehead and the WindWaker HD version with the statue of Ganon. Today, whatever I do play, I get digital. Don't need anymore clutter.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The Oblivion one was worth it for the lore book. That thing sat on my toilet as reading material for years (alongside the WoW one).

BeautyShot-UltimateEdition_large.jpg

I do love the idea of some nerd-ass degen having to explain away why he has a pair of hosiery stashed in his anime game box.

What's so degenerate about a screen cleaner, safety goggles and uh tentacle kit? Those are useful for any office setting.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Probably not right?

There's been some really cool looking ones like the RDR 2 and Bloodborne ones but, at the end of the day, it's tat. I still have the stupid deposit bag from the GTA one somewhere.

I reckon you could find better made and cheaper versions of most the stuff on Etsy.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to get a lot of them before I moved to figure collection instead. Still get a few here and there for games I really want.

Definitely regret a pretty good chunk of them, but I also have some really nice ones. The best easy ones are ones with a ~$30 up charge and a full size art book.

Good ones:
Skyrim - Amazing Alduin figure, and fantastic art book.
Soul Calibur V - Artbook (small but decent) and soundtrack for a small up charge
Fire Emblem Echoes/Metroid Dread/Bravely Second/fire emblem 3 houses - these 4 all just come with really nice artbooks for a fair price
Persona5/Persona 5 Royal - Art books, display pieces that are actually nice enough, or something completely usable with regards to the bag

Bad Ones:
Persona 4 Dancing - bad keychain, dumb slip case. At least it had a sound track
Uncharted 3 - crappy figure and giant box of nothing
Bravely Default - nice soundtrack, but stupid AR cards and whatever other crap
Rise of the Tomb Raider - pile of crap, PC CE with empty steelbook...

have a lot more I could go through, but gonna stop there

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Art books are nice but I have zero interest in gaudy merch that just makes a home look like a comic book store.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't buy them often now (unless it's Metroid) since I don't get a GameStop discount on them but the ones I had I managed to resell years later for far more than I paid for them. I guess it depends on the games.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, they aren't worth it. The extras seem like cheap junk in the vast majority of cases. I'm sure there are some decent ones, but they seem few and far between.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I used to buy collectors editions often but like you said most of the stuff is cheap junk.

The rule I personally use if I'm looking at a collectors edition is "Would I buy the extras separately for the price difference?"

Most of the time it is a firm no.