• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KOTOR 1 and/or 2?

• KOTOR 1 only

Votes: 55 20.4%
  • KOTOR 2 only

Votes: 22 8.1%
  • Both!!!

Votes: 211 78.1%

• Total voters

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title is likely to trigger people as I know that these games are considered all time classics. But let's face it, these games have aged and are graphically ancient. I have a Series X and I'm considering buying them.

Does the gameplay for both games so hold up? I'd really like to try them. What do you recommend?

Edit :screwed up the poll, please select only one option

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I personally just played KOTOR on XSX and had a blast. However, I'm playing 2 on PC because of TSLRCM.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The game play is pretty much just pausing and queuing up commands from what I remember. It wasn't exactly amazing when they were brand new. If that sounds okay to you then go at it. Both games and good and the second one is one of my favorite games of all time.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
At this point I'd say jsut try the mobile versions. I found them pretty good to be honest. Not the best mind blowing mobile ports, but perfect to play in bed with headphones on.

Super cozy

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
KotOR 1 I've always preferred playing on console. It's fantastic on Series X with the BC enhancements. 60fps and very sharp resolution.

KotOR 2 I'd recommend on PC. Unlike the first, it does support controllers and you can use the cut content mod. Still a good time on Series X though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 is considered bad? im playing it on PC and enjoying it atm
no, I just found it greatly disappointing despite all the hype for it. you can really feel the fucked development, and not even the restoration mod helps all that much. everything just felt so much lesser. except the story with Kreia, but everything else just bogs things down

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Kotor 1 absolutely no question - Kotor2 I wouldn't play without the PC mods that well, fix it.

Feb 4, 2018
I loved playing KOTOR II on my One X until I hit an impassable encounter and couldn't progress because I couldn't mod my way out of it.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
I finished both and they were ugly as sin and kinda janky even back in the day so if that doesn't stop you go for it I guess?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
1, yes.
2, not at all. The game is unfinished. It's a great game with the restoration mod on PC, but not on console.

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
They didn't age as well as other similar western RPG games but they are still pretty fun to play (only with the minimum difficulty for me). I'd say give the first one a shot and if you really dig it you can try the second one.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR 2 is (unfinished state aside) the better/more complex game by far, but you really should play 1 to get a sense of how they differ.

That being said, unless your computer is a potato, I would really recommend playing both on PC. The Sith Lord Restoration project fixes a lot of the bugs in KOTOR 2, and adds some cut-for-time content that does help alleviate some qualms with 2's rushed ending.

1, yes
2, yes, but it's a disappointing game even on pc with mods

....Wut is this I don't even.

KOTOR 2 is leagues above KOTOR 1 writing-wise save for like....1 specific instance, and the build variety is a lot greater/more impactful.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
KOTOR 1 and 2 are amazing games that are fun as hell and tell great stories. 1 is amazing on console, and 2 is pretty good on console as well if it's your only option but I would personally recommend PC for it

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They're two of my favorite games but I just cant imagine they hold up well even with the fact that the XSX upgrades all old titles in some capacity I think? KOTOR 2 had horrific slowdown though so I assume it would at least get rid of or limit that which would be a big improvement.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Much preferable to play on PC if that option is available to you. Don't even bother with 2 unless you have the restored content mod.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Do not play KotOR 2 on consoles. It's one of my favourite games of all time, but without the Restored Content mod you'll be missing out on a loooooot.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, I will not tolerate this slander going on in this thread. Even in its unmodded/unfinished state KOTOR 2 is still pretty damn great.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
Kotor 2 shares a dubious honor with Xenogears, both games could've been definitive masterpieces, were it not for the fact they ran out of a budget halfway through

Curiously, both games end with (light spoilers, but be warned)

A character narrating what happened, instead of you playing it

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
when I played KOTOR 2 without mods I didn't notice major issues, it was OK.

also I played the restored content mod and I really didn't like the new planet with the droids....

I think they are worth playing on the Xbox.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Both are great games as released and can be perfectly enjoyed still on consoles. Mods just make them better and more enjoyable with QoL and graphical updates along with additional content, especially for 2.

radiogra

Jun 27, 2020
if you play on easy just for the story it's absolutely worth it.

the real time w/ pause combat has been far surpassed by modern WRPGs, so i would say the gameplay doesn't hold up (and even if you like that era of D&D videogames, there are better ones from that period on PC).

but on easy it's still fun to throw an enemy into force whirlwind and go full power fantasy imo.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've beat KOTOR 1 about seven times across consoles, PC, and mobile.

If you have a One X or better and can play in 4K/60 on console, it is leaps and bounds the best way to play.

KOTOR 2 is best on PC with the mods.

Both are amazing (amazing!) games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I just replayed both on mobile over the last month. They are absolutely worth playing.

Most "RPGs" on consoles are just action games with some trivial stats thrown in there. KOTOR I, and especially KOTOR II, are examples of what I'd consider "true" RPGs. They are very few of these games playable on console.

You have tons of agency in the storylines, the game reacts strong to all decisions you make, and the stats you choose not only affect your play style but how you can complete quests and progress through the story. Story agency and stat interaction isn't just thrown on top; they're the core pillars of how the games are designed. The sequel goes the extra mile with expanded companion influence.

If you can appreciate those two things, I'd say they are must-play titles. KOTOR II certainly shows signs of being rushed, but that doesn't stop it from being a very strong product in its own right (and had a fascinating development history; it's a minor miracle Obsidian made something as good and complete as they did).

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both KOTOR games are still amazing plays on Xbox, especially on Series X.
Is 2 better on PC with mods? Sure. But vanilla is still an amazing game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they still hold up fantastically if you don't mind the graphics, i replayed kotor1 about 3 years ago and i replayed kotor 2 late 2019.

Both games are super solid but imo kotor1 is definitely the lesser of the two on a second play through

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Anyone know if BioWare's KOTOR or Jade Empire have any mods?

KOTOR1 has a bunch, including restoring old content.
Jade empire mods are few and... not that good. The biggest one mainly adds more fighting options.

OP

Play both. If you can, get KOTOR2 on PC/Mobile and download the restored content mod. (you can do it on mobile too).
But PLEASE be aware of the age of these games and the combat system. It's basically D&D (turn-based, roll of the dice) with some cool animations. If you hate that then don't bother because there's a lot of combat. The story is amazing on both games tough.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I remember preferring KOTOR 2 to the first one. Recently I started a new playthrough on PC with the recently added controller support, but I admit I dropped it very quickly. The battles were never fun (for me), and now with how dated the game looks and feels, I really don't see myself poaying it again. I would very much welcome a remake of 1 or 2 though.