• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like every other kid wants to become an engineer. Are they really acquiring that interest on their own, or are their parents just constantly telling them, "Your going to be an engineer when you grow up"?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I was always interested. My mom was an engineer and she never pushed me to do engineering. She hated it and recommended I not do it.

I went and became an engineer.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a bit of both. For ten years people were bombarded with "STEM is the best!!!!" type commentary and I think it's still sticking

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was interested since high school I think.

I've always liked to tinker and was decent at math so it was kinda a good fit. But I also liked acting and tether so I just did clubs at University.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like every other kid wants to become an engineer. Are they really acquiring that interest on their own, or are their parents just constantly telling them, "Your going to be an engineer when you grow up"?

I wanted to be a scientist since I was 4 and then an engineer since I was 12. I ended up becoming a research engineer. Some of us just have it from within

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
When I was in high school about 12 kids (in a 60 kid class) the year behind me all planned to be physical therapists.

Why? Because one of them had an older sister who was a physical therapist and made good money, relative to where we lived.

That's why. Being an engineer has now become similar to being a doctor, lawyer, etc., just with 4-6 less years of school. Kids forget that the 4 years you do need to do involve complex math, which most of them can't do, and the 4-6 years of school/etc. are replaced with 5+ years waiting to get a PE license. Job security and pay is a big lure and kids get it in their heads around high school that they need to get that paper.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot more STEM toys nowadays and they put a lot more effort into making them appealing to kids than they did when I was young.

Oct 25, 2017
By kids, do you mean teens? Because if so, then it could be both parental prodding and individual decision (after reading the myriad of doom articles online about non-STEM degrees).

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a job people know makes good money but imo is boring af (source am a mechanical engineer)

Mazuve1234

Sep 2, 2018
I don't like seeing the inside of the human body nor reading law books. I prefer maths and tech stuff.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to a college where engineering was the biggest major. I'd say most kids I knew there were legit interested in it. Some wanted the money, others legitimately enjoyed building things and the math/physics aspects of it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Being an engineer has now become similar to being a doctor, lawyer, etc., just with 4-6 less years of school. Kids forget that the 4 years you do need to do involve complex math, which most of them can't do, and the 4-6 years of school/etc. are replaced with 5+ years waiting to get a PE license. Job security and pay is a big lure and kids get it in their heads around high school that they need to get that paper.

Just become a software engineer. Problem solved.

By kids, do you mean teens? Because if so, then it could be both.

My sister asked only for STEM toys for my nephews for Christmas. They are 4 and 6.

OP
OP
bangai-o

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It seems kind of dangerous to prod kids through their childhood to become something specific. What happens when that kid fails at it? I am not qualified in psychology, but that failure might be pretty harsh.

There are more areas that are making good money that parents are disregarding. Agriculture, for example, is much needed and is a field that makes good money. No one ever talks about it.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to be an engineer so I am an engineer. My parents would have been okay with anything to be honest.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
When I was growing up everyone wanted to be a lawyer because that was the job that made you a ton of money (seemingly). Engineers make tons of money. It's got good optics.

My first grader said when he wanted to grow up he wanted to be a geologist.

You got a smart kid. Geology is the cool science. We make good money and get to spend all our time outside doing fun stuff.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I doubt kids have an awareness of what engineering really entails. They're not going through ISO standards or ECMA specifications.

Engineer is the adult code for person who builds, and making it so kids understand it probably hides the true extent of the profession.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Kids are probably interested in tech and building stuff.But the parents push specific fields that make good money

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
You could say the same about anything. Some kids like sports, some are pushed into it. Some like dance, some are pushed into it. Some want to be doctors, some are pushed into it.

Good parents will support and encourage any of their kids interests, even if thise interests change

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
kids like legos

the closest major to plays with legos as an adult as you can get really

maybe architecture but no one wants to be an architect

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems kind of dangerous to prod kids through their childhood to become something specific. What happens when that kid fails at it? I am not qualified in psychology, but that failure might be pretty harsh.

There are more areas that are making good money that parents are disregarding. Agriculture, for example, is much needed and is a field that makes good money. No one ever talks about it.
???

you think kids want to live on a fuckin farm in Ohio?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
are kids legit interested in dancing, or is it the fortnite

Infamous Hawk

Oct 30, 2017

Kids are natural engineers. My 2 year old son is constantly taking his toys apart and tries to put them together. His favorite toys are often ones where you have to fit certain shapes into holes, or other object oriented puzzles.

My daughter wants to be an engineer and/or scientist. I don't overtly push this, but when she was much younger, I bought her a school science book from a 2nd hand store, because I used to love reading those when I was her age. Since then, she's wanted to be a scientist or engineer.

It honestly doesn't take much. You just have to cultivate an interest they have, and they'll want to do it. Combined with the fact that they're naturally curious does all the rest.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
When i was a kid i would try to assemble things together even if they were not supposed to be assembled together, i feel like kids naturally do show interest in engineering on their own, in a way engineering is an extension of human imagination.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
So Engineers make that much money?

Doctors are commonly pushed for being a great career, for example. But you need 4 years undergrad, 4 years med school, all while racking up debt (avg 180k or so), then 2-7+ years of residency making 50s-low70s k. Then come out making 250k+.

Oct 28, 2017
I can speak a lot from software engineering/CS a lot from experience, but I do think its an area that has cultivated a lot of interest. It is a field that pays really well and has such a low overhead to get into. It has to be one of the top-most paying careers that doesn't require you to get some sort of bureaucratic certificate, ignoring professions like acting or sports obviously. It is kind of mind-boggling the first time you work an internship/job and the company is trusting you to modify their codebase even when you have zero experience in doing so. The only problem is that a lot of this interest is coming from a small subset of people. Not enough is done to encourage more women and non-Indian/Asian minorities to enter the field more. A lot of it has to do with a really annoying flexing culture in CS.

There is this culture of trying to prove how smart and accomplished you are. A lot of it is gate-keeping that tries to make it seem like you have to come out of the womb and already have a favorite Linux distro and an unyielding love of coding. It doesn't help that a lot of how software engineering is painted by pop culture as being full of genius eggheads that are fully sustained on mathematics and intense coding 24/7. There are definitely some jobs that require you to be some elite master in your field. If you're working on Google's search algorithms, you're going to need to have a lot of knowledge on graph theory, statistics, machine learning, algorithm analysis and optimization, etc. But most software engineering jobs have you just implementing some basic business logic to work automatically and is something that rarely requires much beyond basic math and algorithm comprehension.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
when i was a kid i would give god ultimatums that i would believe in them if they granted my wishes like a genie

but anyway yeah i was always interested in at least breaking machines apart to look at them, even if i wasnt really interested in how to make them

but kids certainly get interested in design

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to be a programmer when I was a kid to make video games lol. I'm now an EE that also writes software but sadly no video games.

Oct 28, 2017
Just become a software engineer. Problem solved.

My sister asked only for STEM toys for my nephews for Christmas. They are 4 and 6.
Haha, right? Barely any math involved and no certifications needed. I remember when I was first getting in my CS degree and I was so worried about the math requirements. I had to struggle through calculus, but I improved from it. Discrete mathematics was really different, but actually a lot easier. Linear algebra was also kind of weird, but made a lot of sense and became easy. Probability and statistics was the last hurdle that was easy except for a few parts, and that's it. And honestly, the only part of math that kept showing up in other CS classes was induction and summations/integration/derivatives. And from those, induction felt like the only part you really had to truly exercise on versus just relying on a definition that comes from the math.

And being able to just jump into a codebase with a company simply from having a degree, and sometimes not even that, is such a freeing feeling. I've heard some people argue the need for there to be a sort of "software engineering license", but that is total nonsense.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
As a parent of three, kids are interested in their own shit. I couldn't force an interest on my kids to save my life.

My daughter hates video games :(

None of them are interested in writing. Or art in general.

One even plays Fortnite. /sigh

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hmm I grew up in a very STEM-orientated environment (bunch of first and second generation immigrants), everyone wanted to be an engineer. I bought into the hype myself, was a computer science major for 2 years before I realized it wasn't for me. I would say 40% of my friends ended up doing something in engineering/computer science/math, but only 5% were truly passionate about it. Everyone else (including myself, admittedly) was really in it for the money.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know what engineering was until I got a bit older. It just sounded so ambiguously vague. Though I knew about civil engineers.