• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i didn't realize that goombas looked like mushrooms until now. thanx for ruining my innoncence
1*kwENzYsDX_uQv8eZUW39-w.png

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
They have eyes and feet and move around so they probably have subjective experiences and consciousness... no. But now I'm wondering if the mushrooms Mario eats have interiority because they move around, too. Maybe they're just very slick so there's no friction and that's why they slide around eternally.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Today, it is widely believed that fungi are, in fact, a third kingdom, as they have unique characteristics and almost intelligence-based behavioural patterns that place them closer to the animal world.

...I mean, yeah, dude. It's called the Mushroom Kingdom, it's where Goombas are from? Thought we all knew this already.

/s

OP
OP
KDR_11k

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They have eyes and feet and move around so they probably have subjective experiences and consciousness... no. But now I'm wondering if the mushrooms Mario eats have interiority because they move around, too. Maybe they're just very slick so there's no friction and that's why they slide around eternally.
The 1up mushrooms in 64 and Sunshine react to your presence, in 64 they move towards you and in Sunshine away from you.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Depends on whether Mario is a vegetable.

In actual answer to the OPs question, yes. Definitely sentient fungi IMO. Eatings Toads is also okay.

Donizetty

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Mexico
I always thought they were the "toads" in Bowser Kingdom.
Something like tigers and lions.

Related:

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
220px-Goomba.PNG

That's a fungus, right? So it'd be vegan food. Or do you think goombas are animals that are just shaped like mushrooms?
Fungus are primary decomposers and live off rotting organic material. The most zen way to live. No living organisms are harmed in their life cycle. Unless you consider their digital counterparts. They are out to get Mario and the crue.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I know the question is whether or not eating Goombas is vegan (it either isn't or shouldn't be) but people answering that Goombas are carnivores because of the teeth shouldn't be so hasty. Hippos are herbivorous and have much scarier dentition.

Hippo.png
Hippos are also twisted monsters that will crush anything or anyone who gets too close so bad example

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Fungus are primary decomposers and live off rotting organic material. The most zen way to live. No living organisms are harmed in their life cycle. Unless you consider their digital counterparts. They are out to get Mario and the crue.

There are parasitic Fungi, you know...
https://images.app.goo.gl/Q668MaP8QLPJYJLN6

OP
OP
KDR_11k

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Are we sure goombas don't reproduce by budding?
The mushroom is the fruiting body of a fungus, it's quite possible that goombas are hyper-evolved fruiting bodies that detach from the mycelium and walk around spreading spores.

Leaves the question: Are powerup mushrooms domesticated goombas?

And where's the main fungus, does the goomba fungus grow in pipes so when they "flower" they make goombas come out of pipes? And powerup mushroom fungi grow in question mark boxes?

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Well aaaaaaktually...

In olden times, many biologists have believed that we do have just two kingdoms on this word: Flora and Fauna. The fungus, was originally placed much closer to the plant world and many would have argued that fungi are actually plants, full stop.

Howeeever…

Today, it is widely believed that fungi are, in fact, a third kingdom, as they have unique characteristics and almost intelligence-based behavioural patterns that place them closer to the animal world.

So I believe, If you're eating a fungus, you're eating a fungus. It's not really a plant, therefore it's not vegan. However, you're also not eating meat.

Eating in 2020 just got even more complicated.

Did you also know, that the biggest living being in this world is fungus that covers 4 square miles?

Gonna be a pedant here. Yes fungi are their own group, but the reason they are placed closer to animals is that they are more closely related to us (we technically both form a monophyly called the opisthokonts), it's not really about intelligence or anything like that. Given that there are some single celled organisms that are more closely related to us than any fungi, it would be a stretch to imply that closer relationship makes them any less vegan than plants.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can look like a fungus/a fruit/a plant all it wants. If it's sentient then it's not gonna fly for vegetarians or vegans.

Goombas are clearly creatures. It's a little creature that looks like a bit like a mushroom. It's not actually a mushroom. This type of gecko looks just like a leaf. It doesn't mean it's a leaf. It's a gecko. Vegetarians don't eat lizards.

7.jpg
That's a really cool lizard

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
i didn't realize that goombas looked like mushrooms until now. thanx for ruining my innoncence

Miyamoto's gone into detail about this. They were pretty meticulous about designing 1-1 in SMB. They wanted the player to die to the first goomba and learn that the walking mushrooms hurt you, then when they hit the ? block and the super mushroom comes out, they wanted players to be afraid that it would hurt them and run away from it, but get caught and be surprised that it makes them bigger.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. I remember one game where a Goomba said to some Koopa Troopas, "Tonight I dine on turtle soup!"

No, wait, that was the Shredder saying that to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But you know, same thing, basically.

Miyamoto's gone into detail about this. They were pretty meticulous about designing 1-1 in SMB. They wanted the player to die to the first goomba and learn that the walking mushrooms hurt you, then when they hit the ? block and the super mushroom comes out, they wanted players to be afraid that it would hurt them and run away from it, but get caught and be surprised that it makes them bigger.

I vividly remember the first time I played SMB, and I jumped over the Goomba (its eyes clearly indicated that it was an enemy, but I was used to avoiding rather than jumping on enemies in my past experience with games), hit the question block, and grabbed the mushroom because I assumed that it would be helpful. I was four at the time, but then again, I had experience with 2600, Colecovision, and arcade games.

On the other hand, the first time I played SMB2 (JP), which must have been about eight years later on Super Mario All-Stars, I totally got suckered on the poison mushroom the first time I encountered one.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the problem is the harvesting of the eggs and the suffering of the chickens that lay them. I'm not a vegan though.
Vegans don't eat animal products period. Not all animal products MUST result in suffering or exploitation for animals (beekeeping/honey is a good example of a mutually beneficial relationship between the creature and the animal production process) but vegans don't consume animal products regardless. Vegetarians, on the other hand, are against the consumption of animals specifically, but are typically fine with animal product consumption (eggs, milk, honey, etc.). Some vegetarians are OK with certain types of animal consumption (fish, crustaceans, insects) but not mammals (these are pescatarians).

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are parasitic fungi that feed off of living organic material. Just like there are plants that eat living creatures (venus fly trap). Assigning morality to consumption habits/requirements of living creatures (sans humans) is pointless, in that case a large swath of creatures who can only consume other living creatures for survival would be considered immoral for their sheer existence (say, cats).

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
There are parasitic fungi that feed off of living organic material. Just like there are plants that eat living creatures (venus fly trap). Assigning morality to consumption habits/requirements of living creatures (sans humans) is pointless, in that case a large swath of creatures who can only consume other living creatures for survival would be considered immoral for their sheer existence (say, cats).
I totally forgot about cordyceps. My bad.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well aaaaaaktually...

In olden times, many biologists have believed that we do have just two kingdoms on this word: Flora and Fauna. The fungus, was originally placed much closer to the plant world and many would have argued that fungi are actually plants, full stop.

Howeeever…

So I believe, If you're eating a fungus, you're eating a fungus. It's not really a plant, therefore it's not vegan. However, you're also not eating meat.

Eating in 2020 just got even more complicated.

Did you also know, that the biggest living being in this world is fungus that covers 4 square miles?
Kingdoms are outdated. We've got three domains of life (Prokaryotes, Archaea, Eukaryotes). Within Eukaryota we have plants, fungi, and animals, but also a ton of other shit both single celled and multicellular.

For example, this giant kelp.

C7S9pgpWkAATS6P.jpg

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
No, they probably feel pain.

There are some different schools of thoughts regarding veganism and people have many different reason to go vegan.

Some vegans eat oysters since they don't have a brain and no advanced central nervous system.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Are toads vegan. Are there vegan characters in the Mario world That can tell you