• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
220px-Goomba.PNG

That's a fungus, right? So it'd be vegan food. Or do you think goombas are animals that are just shaped like mushrooms?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't realize that goombas looked like mushrooms until now. thanx for ruining my innoncence

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Bet they'd taste wicked in a soup. Imagine just having one big mushroom to use whilst cooking for a week.

Oct 27, 2017
They're not vegan. I think the point of veganism is to not eat sentient creatures. The goomba qualifies. Plant or animal shouldn't matter.

Jan 11, 2019
Well aaaaaaktually...

In olden times, many biologists have believed that we do have just two kingdoms on this word: Flora and Fauna. The fungus, was originally placed much closer to the plant world and many would have argued that fungi are actually plants, full stop.

Howeeever…

Today, it is widely believed that fungi are, in fact, a third kingdom, as they have unique characteristics and almost intelligence-based behavioural patterns that place them closer to the animal world.

So I believe, If you're eating a fungus, you're eating a fungus. It's not really a plant, therefore it's not vegan. However, you're also not eating meat.

Eating in 2020 just got even more complicated.

Did you also know, that the biggest living being in this world is fungus that covers 4 square miles?

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Well aaaaaaktually...

In olden times, many biologists have believed that we do have just two kingdoms on this word: Flora and Fauna. The fungus, was originally placed much closer to the plant world and many would have argued that fungi are actually plants, full stop.

Howeeever…

Today, it is widely believed that fungi are, in fact, a third kingdom, as they have unique characteristics and almost intelligence-based behavioural patterns that place them closer to the animal world.

So I believe, If you're eating a fungus, you're eating a fungus. It's not really a plant, therefore it's not vegan. However, you're also not eating meat.

Did you also know, that the biggest living being in this world is fungus that covers 4 square miles?
Interesting.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Well aaaaaaktually...

Howeeever…

Super Mario Bros. The Movie was ahead of its time.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
220px-Goomba.PNG

That's a fungus, right? So it'd be vegan food. Or do you think goombas are animals that are just shaped like mushrooms?
They were meant to be living mushrooms, but whoever was in charge of naming them didn't get the memo and named them kuribos (chestnut people).

Then in SMW they made them look more like chestnuts and later called this version of them kuribons (galoombas).
QOXhYE2s.jpg

And then with NSMBWii and NSMBU they introduced goombas that hide in chestnut shells called prickly goombas. The shells burn up when hit by fire, ie chestnuts roasting on an open fire. You encounter them in ice levels.
D6ob5pL.png

NSMBU introduced goombrats. In Japanese they are called kakibo which means persimmon people.
UGFRtX1m.png

And then SMM2 introduced a variant of goombrats for SMW style called goombuds (kakibon):
DSBw3gv.png

So maybe they're plants?
LVx5Rew.jpg

IQxVXT3.jpg

I was surprised googling "chestnuts and persimmons" yielded a perfect image

Edit:

There are also pumpkin variants in NSMB DS and Galaxy 2.

Splunkin (Kabochan)
nGTMUVK.png

Pumpkinhead Goomba (Kabokuribo)
jIfhKYd.png

Kabocha is a pumpkin

So I guess they all have a fall produce theme.

Last edited:

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
They're not vegan. I think the point of veganism is to not eat sentient creatures. The goomba qualifies. Plant or animal shouldn't matter.
I think Space Madness has it. It's like eating a cow thats body makeup had suddenly changed to some sort of vegetable. Now a vegetarian on the other hand... although it all depends on why you're getting into vegetarian/veganism.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
If they're sentient, it's not vegan.

However, since they are inhabitants of the mushroom kingdom, warped by bowsers magic, one may consider it a mercy killing.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They were meant to be living mushrooms, but whoever was in charge of naming them didn't get the memo and named them kuribos (chestnut people).

Then in SMW they made them look more like chestnuts and later called this version of them kuribons (galoombas).
QOXhYE2s.jpg

And then with NSMBWii and NSMBU they introduced goombas that hide in chestnut shells called prickly goombas. The shells burn up when hit by fire, ie chestnuts roasting on an open fire. You encounter them in ice levels.
D6ob5pL.png

NSMBU introduced goombrats. In Japanese they are called kakibo which means persimmon people.
UGFRtX1m.png

And then SMM2 introduced a variant of goombrats for SMW style called goombuds (kakibon):
DSBw3gv.png

So maybe they're plants?
LVx5Rew.jpg

IQxVXT3.jpg

I was surprised googling "chestnuts and persimmons" yielded a perfect image

Edit:

There are also pumpkin variants in NSMB DS and Galaxy 2.

Splunkin (Kabochan)
nGTMUVK.png

Pumpkinhead Goomba (Kabokuribo)
jIfhKYd.png

Kabocha is a pumpkin

So I guess they all have a fall produce theme.
I came in to the thread with the wrong idea as others did, but thanks to this post I learned something today. So thanks.

As a nut-intolerant vegan, they're off my menu either way

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Based solely on the visible physical properties they are definitely not plants nor fungi.

There are no instance of plants or fungi showing this type of biology or behaviour and even if there are no other evidence available those properties are without a doubt ones that belong to a sentient animal / creature.

Not vegan.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It can look like a fungus/a fruit/a plant all it wants. If it's sentient then it's not gonna fly for vegetarians or vegans.

Goombas are clearly creatures. It's a little creature that looks like a bit like a mushroom. It's not actually a mushroom. This type of gecko looks just like a leaf. It doesn't mean it's a leaf. It's a gecko. Vegetarians don't eat lizards.

7.jpg

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If a Toad is a living mushroom, and a Goomba is also a living mushroom, are the two species related? Is this like a LotR Orc thing where Orcs are corrupted and tortured elves? Are Goombas just corrupted and tortured Toads?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They have canine teeth, indicating evolutionarily speaking they are at least capable of eating meat and evolved to do so.

Eating a Goomba would not be Vegan. You've seen their open mouths, they're definitely meaty on the inside.

Last edited:

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Well aaaaaaktually...

Howeeever…

Hahahahahahaha this post is hilarious well done :D

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not crazy about persimmon but I love the earthy goodness of a sauteed shroom. Definitely not vegan.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Carnivores. Those fangs are not for eating twigs and flowers
No, If they were they would be yelling it at you through the whole game.
They have pointy teeth so i think they're supposed to eat meat/kill pray.
They have canine teeth, indicating evolutionarily speaking they are at least capable of eating meat and evolved to do so.
That's not the question. The question is, is it safe for vegans to eat a goomba. Title is poorly phrased, but the OP is clear.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My answer is in the second half of the post you quoted, basically if you look in their open mouths you can tell they're meaty on the inside.
lol well they've got eyes, mouths and self determination, you don't need to know how evolved particular teeth they have are to know they are "meaty on the inside" hahaha. The fact they have teeth sorta negates such 'deep' thinking ;-)

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know the question is whether or not eating Goombas is vegan (it either isn't or shouldn't be) but people answering that Goombas are carnivores because of the teeth shouldn't be so hasty. Hippos are herbivorous and have much scarier dentition.

Hippo.png