• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
i was hyped for its potential, but honestly, im buying my games on xbox. So there little incentive for me to buy games on there too. Plus, theres xcloud on xbox. I dont want a only online option. I want that as an option when im not home.
The point of Stadia is you can do both of these things, get exclusives for Xbox and if the Stadia version of a third party game looks better then get that. Remember xCloud is Xbox 1s hardware

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
The studio hasn't been around long enough for any games to be ready to show. It's only been 6 months since they announced that they were starting to form an internal game development studio for Stadia.

What they need to do is what Microsoft did: buy an existing studio with a hyped game pretty far along in development for another platform, and then make it exclusive (Halo in Microsoft's case).

They should focus on games that take advantage of the multi GPU rendering that Stadia will support.

A 1,000 player batter royale game (which they specifically mentioned on the first Stadia announcement) with a level of destruction similar to the one below should prove a point on what is possible for cloud gaming.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I dont see how its last gen ports when they have games like Avengers and Cyberpunk which are clearly next gen designed games.

Now I'm not saying they're not impressive, but they're not ground up next-gen exclusives.

Even if Google's own first party 'next-gen' games weren't more impressive than those, having more such impressive or passably next-gen games would be welcome. It was disappointing to see that they haven't anything from new internal teams for launch.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Other than telling people you don't need a console, Google hasn't said why people should use Stadia.

What's the reason for me to use it as someone who already has a console which is the most powerful on the market.The games they showed besides what a couple I already have or can get.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
An Xbox 360 controller will do, but the main idea here is that compared to all of the current gen consoles, Stadia should give you better graphics settings for a demanding game like Cyberpunk. Image a Cyberpunk ad with the play now button on YouTube. A lot of people will try this and if the experience is good enough for someone, that person will now have to consider either buying the next gen consoles for US$400/500 + $60 for the game + $60 for online play every year or instead just pay $10 monthly for 4K or free for 1080P + $60 for game.

You're a missing some key drawbacks from stadia. Like data caps, lag, video compression (some reports are saying it looks like watching a youtube video), online only, no modding, no customization. There are just too many things...
I just dont see the hardcore gamer falling for this. And this is primarily aimed for the hardcore.
It's going to be a rough start for sure.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
As someone with the money to invest into a gaming PC (offset by the ludicrously cheap game prices via constant sales) who also loves owning games (via GOG purchases), I just don't see the value proposition here.

I'm guessing this will become more attractive once you have an option to simply sign on multiple publisher subs, such as UPlay +, Origin Access and whatever 2k/WB/Squeeenix/ActiBlizzz equivalents would be.
But as it stands now, I just don't see the point.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As the first to enter the market they were kind of screwed from the getgo, so treating the launch as a soft launch is not that odd. I imagine that there will be a lot more news coming out once the full service is rolled out. Whoever launches their streaming service after them will have it much easier.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Huge missed opportunity for the Netflix of games. No console, $10-20 a month depending on how recent they want to go, streaming games...could've been big. As it stands, who cares.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After beta testing geforce now, bring it on. Can't wait.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Too many separate circles have to overlap for someone to really want to seek the Stadia experience.

- You got to have great internet, but not yet have a decent computer/console to make use of that internet.
- You have to be interested in buying full priced games on an exclusive platform, but simultaneously not quite have the budget to already own a current gen system or decent PC.
- You aren't interested in similar services (such as Geforce Now) which are already technologically great and hook into an existing/locally-accessible PC game library.

I have to imagine that that is a rather narrow market. I can understand fringe cases where maybe you have a lifestyle of just using a low-powered ultrabook or something similar and also happen to be around some great internet, but is that sort of individual going to suddenly drop $60 for Stadia-exclusive AAA titles when they didn't already have that hardware/means to get games before? I'm sure they exist, I just don't think that audience is all that big.

Oct 25, 2017
You think casuals are going to play a 100 hour RPG like Oddysey? Buy a controller to play it on their phone/TV? No, they are happy with mobile games from the app store.

You are so incredibly wrong in this. There's a gargantuan number of D&D players out there that would play BG3 but don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a videogame system.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
You think casuals are going to play a 100 hour RPG like Oddysey? Buy a controller to play it on their phone/TV? No, they are happy with mobile games from the app store.
What is a casual to you?
From what I'm getting here, it's anyone who doesn't already own a console or gaming PC.

goddamnimglam

Oct 27, 2017
Has Google 'whole assed' anything since search and gmail? Serious question

I mean they abandon shit all the time but hey I figure this is all just a means to see if the data they get is worth the investment, hence halfassing until it's deemed worthwhile or a failure without fully committing. I mean they have a fucking mic in the controller and it's google.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Huge missed opportunity for the Netflix of games. No console, $10-20 a month depending on how recent they want to go, streaming games...could've been big. As it stands, who cares.
This keeps getting thrown around like Google ever implied it. How would a new entrant ever be able to do this? They are literally building their library up for the first time.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I know plenty of dudes who want to play big games here and there but aren't actually interested in buying video game hardware. A good friend of mine really wants to play RDR2 but doesn't want game systems in the house for his kids to latch onto. I told him about Stadia and the fact that Rockstar was named as a developer, so now he is anxiously hoping for news that RDR2 is being ported to the platform.
You are so incredibly wrong in this. There's a gargantuan number of D&D players out there that would play BG3 but don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a videogame system.
Also this.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
The Google graveyard is so huge, this feels like a party invite from the grim reaper...

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
The "you won't need to spend hundreds of dollars! But you need to live in or nearby select wealthy areas of the world to be able to use the service properly btw every game still costs $60 even with a sub" pitch will never not be funny to me.
Exactly. It feels like a niche of a niche.

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I'm in on it,bought the Founders,the fact I don't have to fork out money for a new console and play anywhere is a great plus for me.....but yes Google are fudging it a touch,though I think the full launch in 2020 is where the hype shall be concentrated

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
What is a casual to you?
From what I'm getting here, it's anyone who doesn't already own a console or gaming PC.
Yes, people that don't buy dedicated hardware to play games. Becuase what their phones offer is good enough for them. Will they buy a controller + attachment to play RPG's -or competitive online shooters- on their phone? Doubt it.
The way I see it, Stadia's chance is to attract console gamers that dont want to spend 450-500€ on a new system. Will they? I dont think so.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
You're a missing some key drawbacks from stadia. Like data caps, lag, video compression (some reports are saying it looks like watching a youtube video), online only, no modding, no customization. There are just too many things...
I just dont see the hardcore gamer falling for this. And this is primarily aimed for the hardcore.
It's going to be a rough start for sure.

I'm taking all of that into consideration. What we should be looking at is what amount of people don't have data caps or don't consume their 1TB data cap monthly and the amount of people that do have a good enough internet connection. You wouldn't accept if someone says that consoles are not successful because not every single person in the world can buy one, so let's talk about what is really relevant here. Lag and video compression will not affect everyone the same way and you could also say the same image quality argument for Netflix vs Blu Ray image/sound quality, but Netflix and other streaming services are killing physical media regardless of having a lower quality. The key point here is convenience and if Stadia becomes the first cloud gaming service to offer that good enough experience at scale for a lot of people, then the same situation that happened with Netflix will happen with Stadia. You also have to take into account the advantages that cloud gaming will offer, like the things developers will be able to make once they get CPU/GPU cores working together, as well as hardware that will continue to upgrade in the cloud. Google has also confirmed that they are looking into allowing modding and customization, so there is not a definitive no on that yet. At some point we will start to see games that are imposible to run locally, even on the best personal PC.

-Larian CEO: Cloud Can Allow Locally Impossible Physics, It's More Interesting Than Next-Gen Consoles

"I think that the more interesting question is how stuff like Google Stadia will change things. It gives developers something different. In the data center, these machines are connected to each other, and so you could start thinking of doing things like elastic rendering, like make a couple of servers together to do physics simulations that may not be possible on current local hardware. I think you'll see a lot of evolution in this direction."

"When you have an almost uncapped amount of computation sitting in a data centre that you can use to support your game design and ambition – whether it's in vastly superior multiplayer, whether it's in distributed physics, or massive simulation – there are things we can do inside a data center that you could never do inside a discreet, standalone device."

https://wccftech.com/larian-ceo-clo...SuIOKfNC8k62MUwT6LXboMznLx-0PKU52EXY-0HcvTAH4

-"I've seen stuff that literally would be impossible on a PC or a console" – Google details its bold vision for the future of gaming with Stadia

"when developers realise the potential of the experiences that could be built on Stadia those creative juices start flowing... the possibilities are endless. I've seen stuff that literally would be impossible on a PC or a console. Literally would be impossible."

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The Google graveyard is so huge, this feels like a party invite from the grim reaper...
I really wish people would stop trotting out this nonsense. The Albatross addressed this very well in a different thread earlier this summer:

This is not a rebuttal to that person's point.

The Google Graveyard stuff is such an over-exaggeration.

RIP GOOGLE VIDEO PLAYER Time of death 2007, we hardly knew ye!!

I can think of one noteworthy product that Google killed inexplicably, and it's Google Reader, their RSS reader. It's only partly inexplicable too because RSS feeds dramatically dropped in popularity from when Google bought/introduced Reader to when they end-of-lifed it. That's the only prominent product I can think of that they totally killed with no other features, app, or service to take over. Maybe Google+ too, but nobody misses Google+. Otherwise... Picasa? Photos. Panoramio? Maps. Google Notifier? Native notifications. Android @ Home? Google Home. Google Fastflip? Google Currents. Google Currents? Newsstand. Newstand? Google News. Grandcentral? Google Voice. Writely? Google Docs. etc

This thread is a great example. "Google killed Google trips!! On no what am I going to do?!!" ... no they just rebranded it Google Travel (http://www.google.com/travel), and all of the info from Google Trips was always bubbled up in Gmail, Google Assistant, Maps, and all of their other products.

So many others on this "Google Graveyard" site aren't even dead, they're just features brought into other applications. Like, "Google Now" is on this list. I think *all* Google Now's features are built into Google Assistant and, on Android, the Google Search bar... it's just not a discrete app anymore. Same with "Google Glasses" (not the physical glasses, another product with photo machine learning). That tech was just rolled into Google Lens which is now just a part of the camera app on Android. Google Click-to-Call, it's just ... a feature in search now, not a separate product. "Google Real Time Search." It's just... built into Google search.

Oh no! GOogle Killed the Chromebook Pixel in 2017!!! ....... only to ... release the Google Pixelbook in 2018. It's like saying "omg I can't believe Microsoft killed the Xbox in 2004!" ... And then released the Xbox 360 and KILLED IT in 2014, and then released the Xbox One, which I bet they'll KILL in 2021!!

There's a ton that are very niche small open source programs that some developer published and stopped working on. Then there are a ton of things that nobody uses anymore or got replaced because of another product. OMG ... Google killed Google Toolbar for Firefox, Google Browser Sync, Send to Phone ALL IN THE SAME YEAR... HOW!? WHY!? Omg the victims! Oh... that's when Google Chrome came out...

Meanwhile Google's central paid products have persisted. Google Drive is one of the first products Google introduced payment tiers for, and it's still around 7 years later with no indication of slowing down. Google Play Store, despite many rebrands, is still the same thing with the same support for any app you bought ~10 years ago. Photos, YouTube Red/Premium, etc.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
Too many separate circles have to overlap for someone to really want to seek the Stadia experience.

- You got to have great internet, but not yet have a decent computer/console to make use of that internet.
- You have to be interested in buying full priced games on an exclusive platform, but simultaneously not quite have the budget to already own a current gen system or decent PC.
- You aren't interested in similar services (such as Geforce Now) which are already technologically great and hook into an existing/locally-accessible PC game library.

I have to imagine that that is a rather narrow market. I can understand fringe cases where maybe you have a lifestyle of just using a low-powered ultrabook or something similar and also happen to be around some great internet, but is that sort of individual going to suddenly drop $60 for Stadia-exclusive AAA titles when they didn't already have that hardware/means to get games before? I'm sure they exist, I just don't think that audience is all that big.

Agreed, especially on the second point. Although I guess we will see more interesting deals and a bigger lineup on the subscription than we currently know.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I'm taking all of that into consideration. What we should be looking at is what amount of people don't have data caps or don't consume their 1TB data cap monthly and the amount of people that do have a good enough internet connection. You wouldn't accept if someone says that consoles are not successful because not every single person in the world can buy one, so let's talk about what is really relevant here. Lag and video compression will not affect everyone the same way and you could also say the same image quality argument for Netflix vs Blu Ray image/sound quality, but Netflix and other streaming services are killing physical media regardless of having a lower quality. The key point here is convenience and if Stadia becomes the first cloud gaming service to offer that good enough experience at scale for a lot of people, then the same situation that happened with Netflix will happen with Stadia. You also have to take into account the advantages that cloud gaming will offer, like the things developers will be able to make once they get CPU/GPU cores working together, as well as hardware that will continue to upgrade in the cloud. Google has also confirmed that they are looking into allowing modding and customization, so there is not a definitive no on that yet. At some point we will start to see games that are imposible to run locally, even on the best personal PC.

-Larian CEO: Cloud Can Allow Locally Impossible Physics, It's More Interesting Than Next-Gen Consoles

"I think that the more interesting question is how stuff like Google Stadia will change things. It gives developers something different. In the data center, these machines are connected to each other, and so you could start thinking of doing things like elastic rendering, like make a couple of servers together to do physics simulations that may not be possible on current local hardware. I think you'll see a lot of evolution in this direction."

"When you have an almost uncapped amount of computation sitting in a data centre that you can use to support your game design and ambition – whether it's in vastly superior multiplayer, whether it's in distributed physics, or massive simulation – there are things we can do inside a data center that you could never do inside a discreet, standalone device."

https://wccftech.com/larian-ceo-clo...SuIOKfNC8k62MUwT6LXboMznLx-0PKU52EXY-0HcvTAH4

-"I've seen stuff that literally would be impossible on a PC or a console" – Google details its bold vision for the future of gaming with Stadia

"when developers realise the potential of the experiences that could be built on Stadia those creative juices start flowing... the possibilities are endless. I've seen stuff that literally would be impossible on a PC or a console. Literally would be impossible."

I think it's a mistake to compare gamers to Netflix users. Completely different cattle. Not understanding your clients. Hardcore gamers are very snobbish when it comes to image quality. The whole console wars culture is a huge part of gaming. Compression, lag, artifacts, etc will destroy stadia on all forums, and then mouth to mouth.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Agreed, especially on the second point. Although I guess we will see more interesting deals and a bigger lineup on the subscription than we currently know.

That is if you pretend that all games will be full price always. Or you could look at it as it will actually happen. AAA games that are released at full price and then get discounted over time and a full range of titles that are released on a range of prices.

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
There is nothing that is making me want to even try it... My internet connection is extremely fast so could easily do 4k (assuming it works as they say it will), but streaming and being tied to an internet connection does not appeal to me, I'm going more the other way as I use my Switch more and more for it's portability and ability to play literally anywhere.

I also don't think it's good value, I'd have to pay a monthly sub AND buy the (right to stream) games to play in 4k??? Not great when I currently pay £4 a month for game pass and less than £4 a month for PS+ and it's massive back catalogue or I can just buy the games physically on console and actually own them.

IMO it's just not a good sell, it's too risking to put money into at the risk of it failing and it's poor value for money anyway. Also the whole marketing for it has been so corporate and that's just off putting... Just my thoughts, happy to be proved wrong when it launches.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna cancel my preorder soon. Nothing about it is compelling to me anymore. Also having to pay full price for the games is another turn off. Wish they did a sub for a library of games instead.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's all going to depend on specs and price point of PS5 vs specs and price point of Stadia. It won't be something I look at until that comparison can be made. But if I can save hundreds of dollars by playing via a chromecast instead of a PS5 (and of course if my internet is good enough/there's no downsides visually or gameplay-wise), I'll have no qualms with abandoning the console ship, I'm not that attached to it.

Shit, I look at my unpacked blu-rays and old video games from my recent move and think "where do I put this shit"

EDIT: Wait, you still need to buy games on top of a subscription?

Lol I'm out.

Oct 25, 2017
Their messaging is garbage. People (even within games media) still talk about "getting a Stadia", it's absurd.
All they needed to sell was "you do not need a thing". It's awful. Unless they expect it to blow everyone's mind, they should reboot the whole project.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yes, people that don't buy dedicated hardware to play games. Becuase what their phones offer is good enough for them. Will they buy a controller + attachment to play RPG's -or competitive online shooters- on their phone? Doubt it.
The way I see it, Stadia's chance is to attract console gamers that dont want to spend 450-500€ on a new system. Will they? I dont think so.
No one else defines casuals as this.
It doesn't even make sense.
You're insisting Stadia is targeted only at hardcore gamers (console/PC by your definition) yet part of the appeal of the service is that it runs on mobile.

Last edited:

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I've been seeing some Stadia ads on YouTube and they are really bad. Doesn't look interesting at all. I think Stadia will actually need an old school "killer app" to garner attention. If there is a game that can release for free and has exciting connectivity features like 1000s simultaneously on the servers than maybe it can catch some much needed attention.

Yeah, I'm not as concerned about their approach to Stadia hype as others here, but I've also seen those ads and they truly are entirely fucking pointless. Like, *really* low effort, "why did you even bother spending money to do this type" of stuff. I don't even know how non-gamers are even supposed to know what the ad is for.

Having said that, I've only seen the ads on Youtube or Youtube.tv, so maybe they're only showing for users that Google knows are gamers, and if that is the case, all they're trying to accomplish is a sort of "reminder" with those ads.

I still fail to see who Stadia is for though, presently. ISP speeds across the western world aren't truly ready, add data caps to that too; I'm probably generalizing, but people who live in areas capable of these speeds, that are interested in purchasing videogames, probably already have ample hardware. That could change in the future though.

Well, dunno about everyone else but it's certainly for people like me. Or at least the promise of it is.
* Someone who is weary of what it takes to buy/maintain/upgrade hardware and would rather just have it available at a click. * Someone who is interested in the potential of games unlimited by the typical game-hardware instance constraints

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I think it's a mistake to compare gamers to Netflix users. Completely different cattle. Not understanding your clients. Hardcore gamers are very snobbish when it comes to image quality. The whole console wars culture is a huge part of gaming. Compression, lag, artifacts, etc will destroy stadia in all forums, and then mouth to mouth.

Convenience is convenience on any service or situation. You still have people that buy all of their music on LP and spend thousands of dollars on the best music equipment, but they are a niche today. This migration to digital music/video and streaming services started long before sound/image quality was comparable to CDs/LPs and Blu Ray. The key words here are "good enough". I could objectively say that even for a service like OnLive, there were some people that said it was good enough for them, as time passes and the image quality and latency improve, more and more people will join that group. The breaking point is when Stadia or some other cloud gaming service reaches a sustainable group of people that say "good enough for me". After that latency and image quality will only keep improving, along with the cloud games that will take advantage of the additional power. We cannot pretend that all gamers are the same person/profile. All gamers are not the equivalent to that audiophile I mentioned, that spends thousands of dollars on music equipment, because he will only accepts the best. There is a range of people with different demands on different areas. You also talk about console wars and comparisons, but below you can see a situation that will happen some time in the future, when Digital Foundry compares a local game with the same game running in the cloud.

Gradual changes always, but titles like the one below should increase over time.

"Explaining, Miles Jacobson, studio director of Sports Interactive, said: "Football Manager on Stadia includes technology that is only available on that platform, utilising the power of the cloud and Google's data centres to ensure that more matches can be processed in parallel utilising spare bandwidth across the whole system - this means you can have more leagues loaded into your save, or just go for a faster experience by keeping the amount of leagues the same, but having the matches process quicker than you can on any other platform."

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Will Google displaying failed systems/devices/games at the Stadia reveal prove to be incrediblly funny to look back on? It's already looking funny to me now.

ylpjhq8hlmoqaj7dwsks.jpg

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's another failed launch, this will be the third project — including the PS3 and Xbox One — which had a bad launch under the aegis of Phil Harrison. I don't understand why people keep hiring that guy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the game streaming future and I was also bullish on Google Stadia after being really impressed with the Project Stream Beta... but, I haven't seen enough to make me get it at launch (well, I'm definitely not getting it at launch at this point).

Im really looking forward to streaming tech and I'm hoping it works like how I want it to... like pick-up-and-play on any device, seamless game session, everywhere. Not just save syncing or something, but legit pick up and play across any device... I want to be able to play Madden 20 on a console-tv like experience, then hit pause, go put the baby to bed, and while the baby's winding down to sleep pull out my phone and maybe run a couple useless plays killing clock at the endd of the game, and then go to bed and pull out my iPad to finish making transactions and 'advance the week' in franchise mode, so that the next day when I have 30mins to play I can pick up in the meangingful time when I want to be playing on a big screen.

Or, in RDR2, if I'm playing big story missions I'll do them on my console-tv-like experience, but then maybe if I'm just wanding around in the open world, playing cards, or doing the ambient side quests maybe I'll be happy enough playing those on my phone, or when I get to work I and I have a free 10mins, I can quickly jump into ride to some new location so that it's ready for me when I get home, do my house chores, put the baby to bed... and then when I jump onto my TV it's just all ready for me right then and there.

*that's* what I want in the streaming future and I'm all about it.

Google Stadia seems like that's the vision, but I don't know if they'll be delivering especially with the games catalogue, the service, the connectivity, etc... they haven't shown enough for something that comes out imminently, for me.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Threads like these reminds of it's existance.

I dont think they're doing much to sell the platform as of right now at least, somewhat mediocre showings in Stadia Connects to the complete silence in between.

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
That is if you pretend that all games will be full price always. Or you could look at it as it will actually happen. AAA games that are released at full price and then get discounted over time and a full range of titles that are released on a range of prices.

You mean exactly like I wrote in my post? Thanks for your input.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
maybe a little, but I still think things are very clear cut with Stadia. If it doesn't work it will fail, and if it does it'll stick around. I could see the staggered launch being done just to make sure their data centers and everything are working as they should.

I think the biggest thing they should focus on is have free to play games on the service. While I am interested in Stadia, I'm not paying a cent on it until I know for a fact that it works well, and I think a free to play game would go a long way in convincing people. I imagine Destiny New Light will be there once Stadia base happens, but I think having Fortnite, Warframe and other free to play games would go a long way.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how this is more convenient than a console. Google isn't really making that clear imo

But maybe I'm not the target audience...