• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
They'll bombard your YouTube trailers and gameplay videos with ads like "PLAY THIS GAME NOW ON YOUR PHONE" and will be alright

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I think having a monthly subscription which then allows you to buy games, at launch at least, is going to be a really tough sell and only seems to exist to skim extra money off early adopters.

Presumably they'll eventually move to either a standard subscription service ala Netflix or scrap the premium tier altogether.

In terms of the launch it does feel like the hype is pretty much non-existent and that's probably because, with a lack of exclusive games, there's really no reason to be excited.

Oct 25, 2017
Stadia's biggest problem is that the initial launch apps are ridiculously limited. The Android app is limited to Google's Pixel phones for no reason and the only alternatives are a PC or Chromecast+Stadia Controller.

I'm still interested to use the free service on my PC and hopefully Android TV in the future. I'll buy any exclusive games that aren't on PC.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
The minute they add the "jump in from youtube" functionality, I can see this taking off with or without big exclusive games. There must be millions of people watching Fortnite videos alone... imagine when they can jump right in to games.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but also no...ultimately stadia will exist everywhere that chrome and YouTube do...so there isn't any real service or hardware to sell.

They have nothing to launch except a "play now" button next to every game based video.

Founders edition is a way to get cash from early adopters and maybe a bit of buzz. The real money will be in selling cheaper games to the mass market so that they can play along with their favourite streamer.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Yep, they're bungling it. There's no evidence that they've significantly invested in content, since there are no first-party games and they couldn't even pony up to get a package of games included for free with a paid subscription. So the value proposition is essentially "rent hardware" which is boring af for consumers.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
The best value I see in Stadia is in combination with Uplay+ or whatever the fuck it's called. Will that be available at Stadia's launch?

Also, they should really look into providing hour or two free trials for every game on the service.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Paying a montly fee for a streaming service to then pay full price for the games. What a great idea.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, not a lot people care about reselling games and shit. Maybe in USA but most of world is already only digital with steam , psn and xbox live. This is non matter for majority of gamers. People dont care owning games ,

Not just the USA, all the folks I know here in Canada love to own their games and have the option to sell/lend. We also have a chap from the UK who expressed the same feelings a couple of posts prior to this one, so I think your assumption may be a little bit on the generalizing side. And let's please not just say "Canada, USA and UK, so what?" because obviously there are a lot more countries out there with people wanting to own their games.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm disappointed Google has no new first party teams assembled with a set of real 'next-generation' exclusive content.

They have a great piece of hardware, but seem entirely dependent at the moment on 'last-gen' ports.

We heard about 'Yeti' years ago. Content should have been at the core from day one. With Phil Harrison on board I thought they'd have first party teams working to show off their 10 Tflop baseline, to show us next gen a year earlier than the competition.

However it seems it wasn't to be. Perhaps Google didn't want to invest upfront in in-house big-budget game production? It's a shame anyway, a missed opportunity.
I dont see how its last gen ports when they have games like Avengers and Cyberpunk which are clearly next gen designed games.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Not just the USA, all the folks I know here in Canada love to own their games and have the option to sell/lend. We also have a chap from the UK who expressed the same feelings a couple of posts prior to this one, so I think your assumption may be a little bit on the generalizing side. And let's please not just say "Canada, USA and UK, so what?" because obviously there are a lot more countries out there with people wanting to own their games.
Seeing last reports more than %60 use digital only i wouldnt count on that.Its only going to be smaller.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think they should have a model like Amazon Prime video:
Older games available with subscription
Newer games available for rental or purchase
7-day free trial to see if the tech works for you

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I think they're bungling it, sure. I've talked to a couple different people recently who play a fair amount of video games and they had never even heard of it. That's not good.

However, I think it will ultimately be fine and I think people are, for the most part, being pretty myopic about its chances for success. Anyone who thought they were going to pay $10/mo for an unlimited game library was being foolish. And I honestly don't understand at all why people are actively rooting for it to fail. In three years, I think the "It's DOA" and "Google will just kill it in a year or two" posts are going to look very silly.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
was listening to a podcast recently and they went on for like half an hour going on about how badly google was botching this. i felt like what they were getting wrong is i think this is supposed to be a soft launch of sorts. ultimate goal is to appeal to people not interested in hardware, and since current gen is currently running at a ~$200 entry people will probably stick with what they know and buy a 'game box', the more core/niche crowd will probably be inclined to use the service early and be guinea pigs of sorts ... not saying launch can be a total shitshow but i wouldn't read too much on it either

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
In 2020 when a playable ad shows up in a YouTube video and a single click loads you into a steaming demo, I'm pretty sure plenty of people will try it.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm interested in the tech, but by now I feel like the Starter Pack is a bad deal - I'll pay 120 Euro for a chromecast, a controller, an old game with a new add-on that's been everywhere for the last few years and doesn't need exceptional tech to run anyway - and will also have it's own player pool without the PC crowd. On top, I'll get 3 month of premium without any real games available and without the ability to even play Destiny 2 afterwards for free (if I didn't misunderstood).

None of this feels like a showcase for 120 bucks.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
In 2020 when a playable ad shows up in a YouTube video and a single click loads you into a steaming demo, I'm pretty sure plenty of people will try it.

Without a shadow of a doubt people will try it. The real question is will they stay? That I'm not so sure about.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
OP is right, its a bit underwhelming so far alright. I bought the starter pack however. A decent controller and a chromecast ultra cost that amount anyway so I'm ok with paying it.
I like the idea of having the option of playing elsewhere in the house when it suits and bringing the chromecast around to play some destiny when visiting family / friends.
Also, i live within a few kilometers of a datacenter so I'm expecting a good service.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Without a shadow of a doubt people will try it. The real question is will they stay? That I'm not so sure about.
I think so. Google has the advantage of owning one of the world's biggest and most developed advertising networks. They know exactly who to target here. I think if Stadia delivers on performance, we're gonna see big things in the digital advertising sector. My prediction is they'll be striking deals with publishers to attach Stadia playables to as many game ads as possible, and at scale, a lot of people will bite.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

They need a controller. So that leaves out a lot of non gamers. And people with controllers, gamers, will most likely already have a console or PC, and be very well informed about this service and all its shortcomings. Youtube video quality, lag, online only, and 15€ a month just to stream + full price for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
They need a controller. So that leaves out a lot of non gamers. And people with controllers, gamers, will most likely already have a console or PC, and be very well informed about this service and all its shortcomings. Youtube video quality, lag, online only, and 15€ a month just to stream + full price for the game.
You will not need to pay monthly to stream, that's for 4K. 1080p is free. People are already paying subscriptions to play full price games on console anyway (PS Plus and Live Gold).

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Era is not the target market honestly. The target market will be mom's and dad's that see no upfront console cost. Them not having a Netflix model though will be tough to get over.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I fully expect playable demos to utilize a device's native input. It'd be pointless otherwise. So I expect Stadia mobile to eventually support touch controls, etc.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
To be honest who really cares? It's a streaming platform. This isn't anything that's really going to have a mass appeal or last long right now.
If they fumble, it won't even matter. It's not a platform that was going to really last right now anyway.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
You will not need to pay monthly to stream, that's for 4K. 1080p is free. People are already paying subscriptions to play full price games on console anyway (PS Plus and Live Gold).
The price is very different. You dont pay 15€ a month for Psplus. And while 1080p is "free", the future or near future is 4K in all consoles and PC. Paying full price 60 euros to stream at 1080p -online only- seems like a horrible deal.

Bradach

Oct 28, 2017
The price is very different. You dont pay 15€ a month for Psplus. And while 1080p is "free", the future or near future is 4K in all consoles and PC. Paying full price 60 euros to stream at 1080p -online only- seems like a horrible deal.
Also, the actual monthly price of stadia is very different from your post! Its €10 per month

Dec 5, 2017
The sub complaint really pisses me off. It's total nonsense, just don't get the sub, then it's a place where literally all you have to do is buy the game. I fundamentally don't get why everyone is so butt hurt about the sub. It's a premium service, you don't have to get it full time. If PS4 had offered something similar this generation id have spent 4 months, 60 bucks, on having a PS4 to play the exclusives. It won't be a good everyday system, it will be an amazing complimentary service.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Are you seriously concerned about the tiny population of users that browses the internet on their TV without a gaming-capable input? Why would Google be targeting these people with ads?

Tiny population that doesnt own a controller? O_o Wut. It's gigantic.
I'm saying they're going after the hardcore gamer (Mobile phone takes care of casuals) And the hardcore dont care about this service.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I've been seeing some Stadia ads on YouTube and they are really bad. Doesn't look interesting at all. I think Stadia will actually need an old school "killer app" to garner attention. If there is a game that can release for free and has exciting connectivity features like 1000s simultaneously on the servers than maybe it can catch some much needed attention.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Tiny population that doesnt own a controller? O_o Wut. It's gigantic.
I'm saying they're going after the hardcore gamer (Mobile phone takes care of casuals) And the hardcore dont care about this service.
You're completely misunderstanding me.
Go reread my posts.

TVs will not be the targeted device for Stadia ads on YouTube. I don't know why you're so fixated on TVs.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it'll be successful in 2020 when they launch stadia base and open it up to more devices like iOS.

Dec 5, 2017
I think it's a bit much to assume that it's going to be a failure. So much of gaming comes down to what influencers push, so if it's a good experience for people who work at IGN and Kotaku and kinda funny and YouTubers, it'll succeed.

Lastly there is a real chance 5G makes this all a stupid discussion within 2 years.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Without meaning to sound like a drive-by post, I feel like they've messed up their launch and overall chances the moment the pricing and business model got revealed. Which is sad as the tech seems good.

Sadly, by the reactions of the people I talked to , this is going nowhere fast.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Tbh they're probably looking at this as a soft launch. The worst thing Stadia could do is pay for exclusivity on a couple of big titles and have it shit the bed for millions of people excited to play at launch. Gradually rolling it out and making it more and more enticing over the next year and ramping up for next gen as an alternative to a $500 box is probably the best thing they can do.

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
I doubt hype is really on Google's mind. They'll have the biggest marketing platform when the time comes and the prospect of zero barrier for entry will certainly have people dip their toes.

I still fail to see who Stadia is for though, presently. ISP speeds across the western world aren't truly ready, add data caps to that too; I'm probably generalizing, but people who live in areas capable of these speeds, that are interested in purchasing videogames, probably already have ample hardware. That could change in the future though.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
You're completely misunderstanding me.
Go reread my posts.

TVs will not be the targeted device for Stadia ads on YouTube. I don't know why you're so fixated on TVs.
Not going after TV's? So what then? Phones? Even harder, you need a controller and something to attach it to the phone. Becuase hardcore gamers are not going to use touch controls, and thats assuming the games will support touch. Would u play Destiny with touch?
I just dont see this service going anywhere.

pcigre

Aug 19, 2019
Yep, they're bungling it. There's no evidence that they've significantly invested in content, since there are no first-party games and they couldn't even pony up to get a package of games included for free with a paid subscription. So the value proposition is essentially "rent hardware" which is boring af for consumers.

Oh, they are investing a lot. Check:

Creating studios is slow. Making first party is slow.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No news on Google Studio games in development,
The studio hasn't been around long enough for any games to be ready to show. It's only been 6 months since they announced that they were starting to form an internal game development studio for Stadia.

What they need to do is what Microsoft did: buy an existing studio with a hyped game pretty far along in development for another platform, and then make it exclusive (Halo in Microsoft's case).

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Not going after TV's? So what then? Phones? Even harder, you need a controller and something to attach it to the phone. Becuase hardcore gamers are not going to use touch controls, and thats assuming the games will support touch. Would u play Destiny with touch?
I just dont see this service going anywhere.
Yes, phones. Gen Z are very comfortable with touch controls. Whether I would play Destiny with touch controls is completely irrelevant considering millions of people play Fortnite on mobile with no issue. Hardcore gamers aren't restricted to TV and PC.

As I've already said, I expect Stadia to add platform-level support for native touch controls.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
i was hyped for its potential, but honestly, im buying my games on xbox. So there little incentive for me to buy games on there too. Plus, theres xcloud on xbox. I dont want a only online option. I want that as an option when im not home.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

An Xbox 360 controller will do, but the main idea here is that compared to all of the current gen consoles, Stadia should give you better graphics settings for a demanding game like Cyberpunk. Image a Cyberpunk ad with the play now button on YouTube. A lot of people will try this and if the experience is good enough for someone, that person will now have to consider either buying the next gen consoles for US$400/500 + $60 for the game + $60 for online play every year or instead just pay $10 monthly for 4K or free for 1080P + $60 for game.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
All I know for certain is that "YOU CAN DO YOU CAN DO YOU CAN DO YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WAAAAAAAAAAANT"

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
but buying games you might not be able to play whenever you want is such an attractive proposition!