• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
In my experience? absolutely, regardless of the level of game that is made. "Ambitious" shouldn't factor into whether your game is buggy or not when you could, ya know, actually test the freaking thing. Cyberpunk isn't a case of being overly ambitious (which it is) it's a case of not making a quality product, pushing it out before its ready and outright lies and misrepresentation.

I think it is unfair to judge them for PC ports because rarely PC will be a main platform for a japanese game like in the west
It is like judging a western game for the quality of their switch ports
Also because the PC ports often aren't handled by the dev themselves. It's a pretty known quantity about KT ports being trash, usually, but they're also typically after the original version has been released, so it's kind of that weird area of where the initial game release is fine to great and the later port to PC is just blah.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games are less buggy/junky or rushed out the door and patched later after a 'we're very sorry dev post'
so there's that.

Can't speak for all Japanese devs but many seem to still treat release date versions as boxed final games even if there's a way to patch things, and the patches are legit fixes for things missed and not a way to rush a product to market.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think those notoriously un-janky Deadly Premonition games are hard and fast proof that all Japanese games come out perfect and don't have any flaws ever.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Deadly Premonition aside, PC ports are a crapshoot quite often with Japanese games. From bugs to performance issues to textures to missing graphical options, there is a wide gamut of issues with PC ports of Japanese games. SE and Bamco have had plenty of issues and they are large publishers.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Yes. Far less buggy because they won't really accept buggy games the way the west will. The standard is far higher in that regard.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about all of them but the Resident Evil games are very polished at release. All them have ridiculous small patches day 1.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy has had numerous bugs through its run from the Relm sketch bug that could destroy your save & was easy to run into during normal gameplay to having entire stats do absolutely nothing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. And they're still probably the only Japanese studio that can even try doing some as big in scope.
Remember when Platinum nearly went bankrupt while trying to develop an incredibly ambitious dragon hack and slash RPG that also was meant to have four player co-op.
Yes. Far less buggy because they won't really accept buggy games the way the west will. The standard is far higher in that regard.
Lmao at say in g this unironically

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is very good at releasing polished games without much jank but even them have misses every once in a while. I remember Skyward Sword had a game-breaking glitch they had to patch in a roundabout way (bless the Wii's lack of patching).

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think so, at least not when the slightest effort is made to compare games with similar scopes

Axumar

May 13, 2020
I don't know if PC is a fair comparison. A lot of games seem to suffer from PC bugs like crashing/poor performance/etc soon after release. Which is mostly true for console ports. You could argue something like Dark Souls was running as intended with 30fps cap. Unless I'm misremembering some bigger bugs. Many console ports also notoriously suffer from poor optimization on PC.

That said, I don't see Japanese games as less buggy unless we are talking big Sony/Nintendo games. In that case, I'd argue single platform games, in general, tend to be better in terms of quality for obvious reasons.

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
As a software dev, I gotta say lolno, that's not how it works and can we not go down the road of asking if ethnic identity correlates to latent "natural" ability.

Bugs and software development processes are blissfully unaware of national boundaries.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had to worry about things being broken in FFXIV as part of the general experience. To date the only bug i remember significantly impacted my regular play was when the PVP daily roulette didn't award any bonus XP. It's happened a few times though lmao.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
People also seem to be conflating bugs that lead to interesitng exploits to just janky messes we get for so many AAA western launches.
The latter is definately not as common with JPN games. It goes back to how they treat the initial release of the game as a complete boxed version and patches as bonuses that allow them to fix up things missed. The goalposts have moved so much with western releases you pretty much get Beta builds of games with a promise to fix things later.

But we're speaking in generalities of course. Some western devs don't suffer from this, and some Japanese devs release buggy ass games, but there you go.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I think of the big, game crashing, face isn't loading properly kind of thing I do draw exclusively to Western games. I never thought that it could be due to Japanese games being smaller in scope and having less variables for failure.