• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Nintendo's team sizes, development time, and development costs have been going up too. On top of creating more iterative sequels because that's a more financially viable move than say, trying to create the next original Zelda instead of BOTW 2.

You are absolutely 100% correct though I don't quite see it as a new trend. Majora's Mask, Galaxy 2, the Metroid Prime trilogy. Nintendo takes a game and plays around with it for a generation. Sometimes more.

Oct 27, 2017
The way I see it, if you are making a game that has micro transactions and so many expansive dlc then you shouldn't raise the price.

That's the excuse many of them use and it is bullshit.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
But shouldn't the goal just be making money on the game at all? Why should a AA title be expected to make as much money as a AAA one? That's just a very dumb strategy.

Yes. OoT got a direct sequel in 2000. Wind Waker got a sequel, Link to the Past, as well. BotW 2 is hardly unique in that regard.

probably not the sequel people were thinking but Twilight Princess used the same engine as WW and it is speculated several of the cut dungeons in WW made it into Twilight princess.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But shouldn't the goal just be making money on the game at all? Why should a AA title be expected to make as much money as a AAA one? That's just a very dumb strategy.

If you're spending 25% of a AAA budget but you're only making 5% of a AAA revenue, you're most likely losing a lot of money.

To be more concrete, let's say you spend $30 million dollars on your game development and you're selling at $40/copy. For simplicity sake, let's say you get half of that as profit (general rule of thumb on digital is like 62% and less on physical, plus even launch copies will probably have a slight discount). That means you need to sell 1.5 million copies at near launch price in order to break even. That's a lot of copies and most games that aren't part of an on-going series aren't going to get that. If you drop your development costs to $20 million, that still means you need a million copies sold which is still a lot. Of course, copies sold with heavy discounts will help contribute, as well as any deals you can pull with stuff like subscription services, but still, it should be easy to see how it's hard to make money with a AA game that isn't part of an ongoing, well-known series.

Conversely, an indie game with a $1 million budget, a base price of $15, that is purely digital, only needs to sell about 100k around launch to break even, which (while still difficult) is a much easier goal to hit.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. OoT got a direct sequel in 2000. Wind Waker got a sequel, Link to the Past, as well. BotW 2 is hardly unique in that regard.
Winder Waker got a sequel to promote a handheld. Coincidentally, LTTP did too more than a decade after release. BOTW 2 wasn't a given after TP and SS had no followups.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
They aren't overhyped at all because they should probably be higher as devs don't get paid enough.
I think what it is, is the money that comes in from purchases just needs to be DISTRIBUTED better. Don't blame the consumer and "rising development costs" when yall fuckin execs take home big ass bonuses and the company gets record profit, all while they LAYING people off.

You gotta spend money to make money...so spend it on the people that's MOST important, which is the folks actually MAKING the games. Without them, there WON'T be a game. I'd like to see Bobby Kotick or Andrew Wilson sit in front of a damn computer for 12-14 hours at a time coding, drawing and testing shit

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
If anything the opposite , id move more transparency as an industry into how hard and expensive these games are

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean probably to a certain extent yes but probably mostly in countries with state subsidies for the arts. Though I am not really sure what elements of a games budget could be tax deductible in various countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Are game development costs misrepresented?

Yes, most often as being significantly lower than reality, combined with a naive view of what it takes to recoup that investment (ie the actual amount a publisher would see per copy sold in a given distribution channel, the royalties due to IP holders, the ongoing costs to support and maintain a game, etc).

If you're spending 25% of a AAA budget but you're only making 5% of a AAA revenue, you're most likely losing a lot of money.

To be more concrete, let's say you spend $30 million dollars on your game development and you're selling at $40/copy. For simplicity sake, let's say you get half of that as profit (general rule of thumb on digital is like 62% and less on physical, plus even launch copies will probably have a slight discount). That means you need to sell 1.5 million copies at near launch price in order to break even. That's a lot of copies and most games that aren't part of an on-going series aren't going to get that. If you drop your development costs to $20 million, that still means you need a million copies sold which is still a lot. Of course, copies sold with heavy discounts will help contribute, as well as any deals you can pull with stuff like subscription services, but still, it should be easy to see how it's hard to make money with a AA game that isn't part of an ongoing, well-known series.

Conversely, an indie game with a $1 million budget, a base price of $15, that is purely digital, only needs to sell about 100k around launch to break even, which (while still difficult) is a much easier goal to hit.

^ this.

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
If anything the opposite , id move more transparency as an industry into how hard and expensive these games are

I mean, you guys know publicly traded companies release annual reports that are available to the public, right? Here's Activision's for example:

These are 10k statements and dish out pretty detailed information about the company' operations.

Funny thing happens when you search for "budget" on this document:
Activision 10k Statement said:
We compete with other publishers of interactive entertainment software, both within and outside the United States. Our competitors include very large corporations with significantly greater financial, marketing and product development resources than we have. Our larger competitors may be able to leverage their greater financial, technical, personnel and other resources to provide larger budgets for development and marketing and make higher offers to licensors and developers for commercially desirable properties, as well as adopt more aggressive pricing policies to develop more commercially successful video game products than we do. In addition, competitors with large portfolios and popular games typically have greater influence with platform providers, retailers, distributors and other customers who may, in turn, provide more favorable support to those competitors' games

So there's your answer straight out of the horse's mouth: There are advantages to scale. Yeah, you could break out into smaller projects but large projects save you money through consolidation and they give you more influence over different parts of your industry. It's better for them to make 1 billion dollars (which is roughly how much the last Call of Duty made) off one project as opposed to making 50 million off 20 projects.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
The size of the end credits on some games makes me wonder how on earth they are able to pay them all a decent wage.

Even games that are considered cheap small 'indie' games can have a long list of people

We're going to see more GAAS/Early access implementation as it makes a lot of sense financially for a lot of companies. If it sells well they can continue to support it, if it fails hard they can act accordingly and try and save themselves from oblivion with another plan.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, most often as being significantly lower than reality, combined with a naive view of what it takes to recoup that investment (ie the actual amount a publisher would see per copy sold in a given distribution channel, the royalties due to IP holders, the ongoing costs to support and maintain a game, etc).

Sorry to throw a specific at you but how much of that real budget would you attribute to marketing? Or is that not considered part of a game's budget?

GameDev

Aug 29, 2018
The size of the end credits on some games makes me wonder how on earth they are able to pay them all a decent wage.

Even games that are considered cheap small 'indie' games can have a long list of people

Not all of them stay on for the duration for the project. I got credited on a game with a multi year development cycle but only worked on it for a few months as a contractor.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
If they really wanted to keep costs down, they would stop making games in the most expensive cities in the world.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think what it is, is the money that comes in from purchases just needs to be DISTRIBUTED better. Don't blame the consumer and "rising development costs" when yall fuckin execs take home big ass bonuses and the company gets record profit, all while they LAYING people off.

You gotta spend money to make money...so spend it on the people that's MOST important, which is the folks actually MAKING the games. Without them, there WON'T be a game. I'd like to see Bobby Kotick or Andrew Wilson sit in front of a damn computer for 12-14 hours at a time coding, drawing and testing shit

To me this is more of a function of society than a problem unique to video games when we are looking at large companies. We could list a million examples. The ceo of UPS made like 15 million in 2018. Meanwhile the dudes loading trailers in 100 degree heat are making 13-16 bucks an hour or something probably.

Not disagreeing with your point at all just saying big video game companies act the same as other big companies.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada

While this might be getting into the weeds the only extra thing I would add is also factoring in the overhead that goes to platform holders and retail/distributers (if it's a physical product). This is something that is also greatly overlooked by people when they just assume a developer gets 100% of the MSRP.

Back when I worked on GBA titles publishers were only getting back 1/2-2/3 of the MSRP after retail and platform holder got their cut.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
"We sent our devs around the world 3 times so they could document and experience things first hand to bring the most accurate representation of the locations."
"We also hired Keanu Reeves, Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks, to do the motion capture, and will use the likenesses of Leonardo DiCaprio, Dwayne Johnson and Robert Downey Jr."
"As well, to announce the first trailer of our game, here is Will Smith, pulling up in a brand new Lamborghini Veneno."

Unnecessary over spending just for the sake of it? Noooo, never.
Spend the money on artists and dev talent. Quit pissing it away on spectical bullshit.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They arguably are compared to film budgets ($50 million for 30 hours of content in HZD vs $300 million for 3 hours of Avengers Endgame or even $100 million for 5 of The Mandalorian) but part of the reason they are so low is due to the lack of unions and an overreliance on Crunch. I'd have far less issues justifying another price hike if I knew it was due to an increase in budget to help minimize crunch and unionize, not just so Bobby Kotick can line his pocket with more money and fire hundreds of employees to create the illusion of growth.
Yes but that difference between the games industry and film industry is pretty obvious: film industry is heavily unionized, games industry is not.

Prices going up and developers being fairly compensated are almost entirely unrelated. If prices went up game developers would not receive higher compensation and benefits; if the industry unionized then prices probably wouldn't rise, developers would just see a larger portion of the massive profits games already generate.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Without strong multiple unions and transparency, this campaign for raising price to pay the devs equally and to stop crunch is a long con. Believing otherwise would be naive.

Also where are the posters that downplay every labor abuse by saying things like "under capitalism there are no moral spending, Capitalism has no moral, only money!" If so what would change to stop companies from abusing the labor? The extra money they squeezed out from customers with price rise?

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
Then why would companies like EA or Take Two set up labels for AA titles?

So they can experiment and see if they can make cheaper games and still have people buy lots of them.

Unionization also implies a standardization of skills and tools, which the game industry does not really have in the same way as all the movie unions/guilds.
There was an infamous EA Tiburon speech like ~10 years ago where one of the studio heads basically said "Don't complain about money. There are 10 people that want to do your job for less than we pay you and we will fire your ass."

Destroyer

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Insomniac have paced themselves really well. They've made AAA, AA, and indie games and still manage to stay afloat. Some don't do so well, while others do, but they experiment. And now they've been bought by Sony so they have major backing. It was smart to price R&C at $40 and I hope they continue their trend of balancing AA with AAA going forward.

it can be done, and It'll suck if game prices rise but I won't be surprised. Should I not say that?

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Insomniac have paced themselves really well. They've made AAA, AA, and indie games and still manage to stay afloat. Some don't do so well, while others do, but they experiment. And now they've been bought by Sony so they have major backing. It was smart to price R&C at $40 and I hope they continue their trend of balancing AA with AAA going forward.

it can be done, and It'll suck if game prices rise but I won't be surprised. Should I not say that?

There's plenty of publishers and developers proving that this model can be done efficiently. So I agree.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
You wrote a lot of words in the OP which is commendable, but the answer to your question (and thus a response all of your assertions) is: No.

Source: Me, a game developer for 12 years working in large studio and indie teams, who knows a lot of developers across every spectrum of the industry.

If anything, your understanding of how much 'AA' and 'Indie' games cost is not commensurate with reality and probably influenced by Kickstarters that grossly misrepresent costs as lower than they really are and passion projects which have developers killing themselves working insane hours over multiple years while living on less money than your average student does.

Games are expensive as hell, the tools that make development easier have not kept up with the drive for ever-increasing quality standards, and it is a hit-driven industry in which the games that make it big make so much money for the companies producing them that they subsidize the way many games do not find the audience necessary to be successful.

This doesn't even get into just how much of the AAA space is subsidized by crunch culture.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
How are major publishers doing profit wise? That's the important metric.

It doesn't really matter to the consumer how much something cost to make, if the audience is big enough, a game can easily make all of that money back.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Games are expensive as hell, the tools that make development easier have not kept up with the drive for ever-increasing quality standards, and it is a hit-driven industry in which the games that make it big make so much money for the companies producing them that they subsidize the way many games do not find the audience necessary to be successful.
So wouldn't the solution be to just keep improving the tools then? If not then what do you think would improve conditions in the industry (besides unions of course).

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
So wouldn't the solution be to just keep improving the tools then? If not then what do you think would improve conditions in the industry (besides unions of course).

The tools are improving, the quality bar is also increasing.

That arms race will go on forever and is why the cost of developing large games goes up every year.

I have no solution, I left the large studio space and went indie where this is less of a factor because we're not competing for the same audience, but in the indie space you have other problems... It's a random estimate but based on the stats I'd say 95%+ of indie games released on Steam are not profitable.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I have no solution, I left the large studio space and went indie where this is less of a factor because we're not competing for the same audience, but in the indie space you have other problems... It's a random estimate but based on the stats I'd say 95%+ of indie games released on Steam are not profitable.

All right. Then how would you solve the problem of indie games not supposedly being profitable (not saying they are, I genuinely don't know).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
People say it is inevitable that game development rises and just in the last week we had discussions about games getting shorter and more expensive to battle those costs.
Using a little hyperbole here, where does that leave us in the next one or two generations? Games that cost 200 bucks with a playtime of 4 hours? I'd rather the AAA and AAAA Studios go under than THAT becoming a reality. They need to learn to be more efficient and reign in the costs.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
And the vast majority of indie games bomb so that's not a great model either. I've been lucky in that I had financial support from family when my business was struggling and I've been doing this for long enough that when I release a game, I can count on at least our diehard fans noticing (and hopefully more than that). Most indies don't have that.
Any articles on this phenomenon?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "I would welcome a return to the 12 to 15 hour AAA game"

Former PlayStation executive Shawn Layden has called for the industry to examine the trend towards bigger and more expe…

/thread

Games cost up to 150m without marketing this gen. Halo Infinite, even thought it's unknown wether marketing is included is rumored to cost 500m as a cross gen game. I don't think all gsmes cost that much obviously, but the industry needs to think about a different path. We can't have PS6,7,8 gen having a huge increase in budget or games could potentially cost 1 billion or more.

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Games cost up to 150m without marketing this gen. Halo Infinite, even thought it's unknown wether marketing is included is rumored to cost 500m as a cross gen game. I don't think all gsmes cost that much obviously, but the industry needs to think about a different path. We can't have PS6,7,8 gen having a huge increase in budget or games could potentially cost 1 billion or more.

But that's only for AAA games. What about Indies and AA, what are they like?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any articles on this phenomenon?

Sure, here's one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W6lZir97bUU0KdvIGNIVWG0O-_A3QrdN/view

The basic idea is that as time goes by, the barrier to entry to make a game gets lower and lower. Making games is a highly desired job so tons of people try to make one. And because the barrier to entry is so low & everyone wants to make one, the number of games getting released is astronomical. Aka supply is far higher than demand and as a result, most games bomb.

To give specific examples, when I released Cthulhu Saves the World in 2011 on Steam, the rate of new games coming out was low enough that you were pretty much guaranteed that your new game would be on the front page on the New Releases chart for a week or two. That was a huge amount of visibility given to every single game with a result that merely getting your game accepted onto Steam as an indie developer meant that you had a very good shot at being profitable. Cthulhu Saves the World did so well for us that I was able to start making games full-time. And another game that came out the same week, Dungeons of Dredmor, did even better.

Now, there are so many new games coming out every day on Steam that when you release a game, there's no guarantee that you'll show up on the front page New Releases chart AT ALL. There's so many new releases that the Front Page chart is actually a "Popular, New Releases" chart to help thin things out and even if you make it to that chart, you're going to get kicked off pretty quick due to the rapid release of games. I just checked how many new products were released on Steam yesterday and the total was over 60! Admittedly, some of those were DLC, but even still, in the middle of a Steam Sale (aka the worst possible time to release a game on Steam), dozens of new games are coming out every single day!

I can't find the article right now, but I remember reading something that basically said the vast majority of Steam indie games these days sell under 10k (and many are under 1k) at normal prices (aka before they do crazy 50%-90% off sales). If you're selling 5-digits, you're basically in a small group of success, and if you manage 6-digits, then you've got a huge hit on your hands.

And well, those numbers don't bode well for making a living - 10k copies sold at $15 means about $100k revenue to the developer which is a good salary for a single person working for a year and not so good a salary if you have anyone else working with you that needs to get paid or spent more than 12 months working on your game. And 10k copies sold at $15 is selling a lot better than most indie games on Steam - good luck making those kinds of numbers on a year-project that you made yourself with no outside help.

Last edited:

Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
The problem is exposure. Once you get past the biggest sellers, revenue drops exponentially. If you spend 25% of an AAA budget and make a game that's almost as good as an AAA game, you're more likely to get 5% of a successful AAA's revenue than 25% of it. That's why the AA market has largely disappeared - your best chance of success is either do the arms race in AAA or keep costs extremely low (indie and medium-big indie).

Really well said.
This is the main reason why big games are getting bigger, and smaller games are getting smaller. There's not much for anything in between on the mass market. The solution for AA studios is to develop well crafted games dedicated to very specific niches, and allocate budget knowing exactly how big is said niche and how much they are willing to pay.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I think you can do a lot with smart design decisions like not aiming for perfect realism but instead stylized realism and focusing on gameplay rather than making the biggest game worlds ever. Not having voice acting for everything can also be a huge cost saving but at the same time works only for certain games. I am never put off in Yakuza games where it shifts suddenly from voice acting to text boxes, it's perfectly fine.

Most indie hits are not top tier in visuals but are very high up in either gameplay, storytelling or both.

Big game companies are kind of digging their own grave by constantly trying to one up themselves and gamers expect that to happen, based on all the "boohoo, this does not look like a next gen game" threads. I fully expect that a lot of next gen games won't be gobsmackingly massive upgrades over the already stellar work found in today's games.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Really well said.
This is the main reason why big games are getting bigger, and smaller games are getting smaller. There's not much for anything in between on the mass market. The solution for AA studios is to develop well crafted games dedicated to very specific niches, and allocate budget knowing exactly how big is said niche and how much they are willing to pay.

Right.

There are basically 3 routes to success with game development these days.

1 - Arms race. Basically outspend & outquality the competition so your game is best-in-class. Ultimately, this is unsustainable for the industry as costs keep going higher and higher and success goes to fewer and fewer games.
2 - Niche. Find a niche that is underserved or constantly craves new content and set a budget that is appropriate for the potential sales that you can get from that niche. This is the safest & most reliable approach if you do it well.
3 - New. Make something new & exciting that has no real direct competition in other games. This is the most difficult approach (it's hard to make something that's very different than everything else) and riskiest (since it's new, it's hard to tell how much demand there will be for it), but it's potentially the most lucrative if you pull it off.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Now it's true that game development isn't a walk in the park generally speaking. That's true no matter the era. However, what the argument of increased production costs ignores is that not every game has to be this massive AAA, open world/battle royale experience. Development costs for any given game depends entirely on the ambition level of the project, and how much money and staff you'll need to achieve that in a reasonable time frame. You only need to look at the indie scene to see that you don't need cutting edge graphics or massive open worlds to make a good game.
The thing is, the type of game you are referring to, that entire market disappeared with the switch to HD. They got to expensive to be profitable. It lead to the death of many companies, and that needs to be rebuilt slowly.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anybody thinks that AAA games don't cost more to make than ever. And that the AA games has practically disappeared because it's now so high risk. Companies need to either go full AAA with something that guaranteed big sales or go low budget indie with lower risk.

That said I'd be amazed if the huge publishers like Ubisoft, Ea and Activision don't indulge in some Hollywood accounting.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

Shawn Layden: "I would welcome a return to the 12 to 15 hour AAA game"

Former PlayStation executive Shawn Layden has called for the industry to examine the trend towards bigger and more expe…

/thread

That mindset is wrong on so many levels. If the answer to spiraling costs that are out of control, is that you slash the content, where do you think we will be in 1 or 2 generations? 4 hour games for 200 bucks?

OP
OP
laziboi

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
The thing is, the type of game you are referring to, that entire market disappeared with the switch to HD. They got to expensive to be profitable. It lead to the death of many companies, and that needs to be rebuilt slowly.
Which it already is starting to.

I don't think anybody thinks that AAA games don't cost more to make than ever. And that the AA games has practically disappeared because it's now so high risk. Companies need to either go full AAA with something that guaranteed big sales or go low budget indie with lower risk.

That said I'd be amazed if the huge publishers like Ubisoft, Ea and Activision don't indulge in some Hollywood accounting.
But AA games are starting to make a comeback though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That mindset is wrong on so many levels. If the answer to spiraling costs that are out of control, is that you slash the content, where do you think we will be in 1 or 2 generations? 4 hour games for 200 bucks?
I don't think slashing content to more than a small degree is the solution. I believe Machine learning could help and maybe full path tracing in the future as no time is needed to "fake" lighting. Then Sonys standalone DLC provide another solution as the games are smaller in scale using most of the assets of the big AAA game.

I talked about this with a friend, but do we really need a completely new open world within a generation with every game? Won't happen as CD is working on Cyberpunk, but I don't think we would need a new open world in Witcher 4 on PS4/Xbox One and that would in theory result in lower costs.

Obviously new sidequest, story, maybe different playable character, new weapons and all that are needed and maybe a few new areas, but I think we don't need a complete new open world map for every game within a franchise due to increasing cost.

Last edited:

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think slashing content to more than a small degree is the solution. I believe Machine learning could help and maybe full path tracing in the future as no time is needed to "fake" lighting. Then Sonys standalone DLC provide another solution as the games are smaller in scale using most of the assets of the big AAA game.

I talked about this with a friend, but do we really need a completely new open world within a generation with every game? Won't happen as CD is working on Cyberpunk, but I don't think we would need a new open world in Witcher 4 on PS4/Xbox One and that would in theory result in lower costs.

Obviously new sidequest, story, maybe different playable character, new weapons and all that are needed and maybe a few new areas, but I think we don't need a complete new open world map for every game within a franchise due to increasing cost.

Then you have to ask the question:
- If the Open World game does not get the budget to make a good quality AAA Open World, does the game get made at all?

GTA; Ass Creed, Monster Hunter, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Zelda, Just Cause, No Mans Sky, Witcher, Horizon, Red Dead Redemption, Spider Man, Watch Dogs, etc.

would and can those games be transformed in 12-15 hour games?
And would they even sell, if there is now a bunch of 12-15 hour "cinematic experiences"?

long, Open World games are not made because devs and pubs like bloated games, they are getting made because they sell, because it is needed to sell the setting, because the story needs the pacing.