• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

KingFox

May 17, 2018
You never know when you might run into the King or Queen on the street, so yes we do like to dress appropriately. We're a dandy bunch of people.

Alyx

Mar 15, 2019
I would say so because of more cultures and sub-cultures than lets say for example America. The pile is bigger.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I never do anything unless I have a cigarette dropping from the edge of my perfectly-sculpted mouth, and my effortless stubble and lean jaw sit firm under my tousled chestnut hair. I don't walk, I glide. I don't run, ever. I only wear that which was fashionable in bohemian circles 10 years ago in Berlin. I am European.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Are Europeans generally more concerned with looking stylish?

I'm not sure it's about looking stylish.

At least in France and from what i've been taught, it's more about being dressed respectfully for the others around you when you're out of your home.

At home, one could say i dress like a hobo : old comfy t-shirts riddled with holes, old way too big track-suits/pyjama pants and old crappy (but comfy) slippers. But when i need to leave the house, no matter the reason, i put on jeans, a decent shirt and decent shoes. It's automatic.

I don't try to look stylish or anything. It's just what i was taught to do. And obviously, when you see someone in his pj's doing groceries, it stands out a lot and seem out of place. So you want to avoid doing the same thing.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Italians, French people? Sure. Dutch and German people, not really. Heck, all of northern Europe don't know how to dress. They overpay for fugly looking designer clothes or look like generic ass H&M, Zara puppets.

I live in the Netherlands btw, so you can't argue my point.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Italians are very stilish. Bigger European cities, like Düsseldorf, Madrid, Lisbon, etc tend to have very stilish citizens, too

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
when you are at your international airport in frankfurt, Amsterdam or London and you see that dude from afar wearing flip flops, you know he's American.

For an European, an airport will never, ever be a place to wear flip flops, regardless of time of the year so there's a very real cultural difference there that makes the EU people at least more fashion aware, if not more stylish.

Northern EU also use flip flops and shorts and t-shirts but only exclusively when the weather forecast has sworn in the name of god temperatures are going to be hot and stay that way for several days.

Since we often have shit weather, flip flops are a rare sight.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about Americans but Germans wear the dreaded convo of socks and sandals like there's no tomorrow and it's AWFUL.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also worth noting that there are some pretty acute gender divergences in terms of fashion the more you move towards Eastern Europe/the Baltics.
This is true. We were at a night club in St. Petersburg (RUS) a while ago and the amount of model caliber women with men wearing woolly shirts, training pants and sneakers was mind boggling. I figured our lack of success that night was due to us being over dressed :(

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
When you've spent decades fighting like this:

s-l300.jpg

Of course we're stylish.
And you notice that chara-design is already very Japanese before it becomes popular ^^

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Compared to whom? A Japanese woman ask me, why European women rarely wear heels - with other words, we are pretty blunt compared to Japan.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
624x468

Waiting line at the cashier of my local Lidl on a monday afternoon.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I watch an American game show, all the guys are dressed like it's the 90s with their Ill fitted clothes.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The ones that dress the best are easily the Russian women. They put on some amazing dresses just to go to the supermarket. I was more impressed at their clothes than their own beauty which isn't easy.

Europeans are more fit than others so I guess that helps in having clothes fit better for most of the people.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I swear - in Germany you never see people in their pajamas shopping at the grocery or walking their dog in public.
That's a pretty low bar for "stylish", to be fair. Germany isn't exactly oozing style otherwise (except for Berlin, which is like style on a weird strain of LSD).

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Every time I watch an American game show, all the guys are dressed like it's the 90s with their Ill fitted clothes.
It's the fit that does it. I go to conferences in the US a few times a year, and while there are plenty of young Americans in well-fitted suits or combinations of suits and streetwear, almost every American over 30 wears straight-leg jeans and a jacket that looks like a tent.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to whom? A Japanese woman ask me, why European women rarely wear heels - with other words, we are pretty blunt compared to Japan.

Japanese women are a treasure, they dress like princesess and I was amazed during my time in Japan.

Russian women are similar, Russian guys... Nope. My girlfriend is polish and she says that the guy doesn't have to be pretty so it's great lol

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If Americans prioritize comfort over style is that a bad thing? You could argue that our clothes are more functional given that much of the US is extremely hot for 4-8 months out of the year and we're obviously a very overweight people.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well one the one side we got the british and italian suit cuts. On the other side we got the abomination called "american cut", so yeah: europe wins this time