• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
We have the cordless V8 absolute, and it works good enough. I'm sure they're better ones out there but it was cheap enough to be worth it at the time. No way would I pay their insane retail prices. Some slickdeals fuckery got us one for $200

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I had a terrible cheap Vax from Argos, a vacuum cleaner which doesn't suck is one of the most infuriating things in the world haha.
Replaced it with a Shark from Argos which is a cheap Dyson, and is great...but I'm lazy so might go roomba or alternative.
I think it's worth spending a little more on things you'll keep for years.

I got a £30 from Argos years ago and it still sucks hard, lol.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 2, one of the stick vacuums and the normal corded ones. I love them. I cant say its worth the money or not because I have nothing else to compare it to. But I can say I love the ease of use and ease of taking care of them

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There's limits to what a Dyson can do. It being battery powered, it doesn't create the same amount of suckage as regular, cord-connected vacuums. The rotating brush helps, though.

What the handheld Dysons absolutely fail at - in my experience - is vaccuming up anything 'heavier' and "larger" - like Rice, or Granola or broken glass. The rotating brush just ends up flinging that shit all over the place. In this case, you have to get on your knees and use the smaller attachment.

What they do excel at is always being always readily available (make the time to actually install the wall mount), which - imho - leads to you using the vacuum more often in shorter bursts, instead of going through your entire apartment like once a week.

We have 2 cats, a 92m² apartment and are very happy with our DC62.

If you get a Dyson, i'd go for the V8 ultimate (instead of the V10), because the accessories are much more important than longer battery life.
This one's a life saver if you have pets.
Dyson_V8_Features_ROW_handheld.ashx

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Everyone I know that has/had one loved them and they lasted a long time. I had a D24(?) Animal a handful of years ago that was amazing. Dealt with a fully carpeted apartment and then house, and powered through cat hair and litter. Left it with the ex wife when we split.

Bought a stick one when I moved into my own place and it's been great as well. I don't have any complaints at all.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I have an animal model ball one. It works fine. I'm not sure they're worth it compared to some of the competition, though (in terms of price and performance). *shrug*

Oct 25, 2017
I have one of their stick vacuums and I like it. We have 2 cats and both of us have long hair so it's kinda easy to clog a vacuum but the Dyson does well and it's easy enough to disassemble the brushhead to clean the hair out. I got it for about $250 on sale. I'll echo that they are usually overpriced but of good quality, so definitely get a deal.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Expensive but worth it if you can grab one the cheap.

Last for years and comes with a 5 year warranty, never loses suction they're also easily pulled apart so even after the warranty has expired and if it fails chances are it's an easy cheap fix.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
They look nice but are very expensive. I bought a shark that you can detach into a portable mode for about half the price. I love the bagless vacuums because I can visualize how much shit was really on my carpet

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I have a refurbished Dyson V7 and I enjoy it quite a bit.

I think as long as you get it on sale, it's worth the price.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: I work in a department store selling small/large electricals. I also think Dyson is a massive cunt.

With that out of the way, yes they're worth it.

There's limits to what a Dyson can do. It being battery powered, it doesn't create the same amount of suckage as regular, cord-connected vacuums. The rotating brush helps, though.

What the handheld Dysons absolutely fail at - in my experience - is vaccuming up anything 'heavier' and "larger" - like Rice, or Granola or broken glass. The rotating brush just ends up flinging that shit all over the place. In this case, you have to get on your knees and use the smaller attachment.

What they do excel at is always being always readily available (make the time to actually install the wall mount), which - imho - leads to you using the vacuum more often in shorter bursts, instead of going through your entire apartment like once a week.

We have 2 cats, a 92m² apartment and are very happy with our DC62.

If you get a Dyson, i'd go for the V8 ultimate (instead of the V10), because the accessories are much more important than longer battery life.
This one's a life saver if you have pets.
Dyson_V8_Features_ROW_handheld.ashx

I demo Dyson vacuum cleaners everyday using porridge oats. Yours is busted if it's struggling with that.

Not sure how the models are called where you are but both the V10s (Absolute and Animal) come with that tool in the UK. The only difference between the two is the Absolute has the large motorised head for hard flooring.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Does Miele even have a cordless version? Every review I've seen continues to put the Dyson cordless at the top of their rankings.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
They're expensive but they're also very good.

It's kinda scary how much crap they pick up from a carpet, even after vacuuming with another machine, even the cordless ones.

I'm not paying hundreds to spend 10 mins vacuuming. Cheap one from Argos does the job.

If you have carpets I guarantee you that it's not doing the job.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: I work in a department store selling small/large electricals. I also think Dyson is a massive cunt.

With that out of the way, yes they're worth it.

I demo Dyson vacuum cleaners everyday using porridge oats. Yours is busted if it's struggling with that.

Not sure how the models are called where you are but both the V10s (Absolute and Animal) come with that tool in the UK. The only difference between the two is the Absolute has the large motorised head for hard flooring.

My Dyson's very much fine, thank you.

It's just that the roller attachment you get with the base model is more aimed at loosening dirt out of carpet floors and is actually counterproductive when it comes to collecting larger debris from hardwoord floors. I've corroborated this with multiple dyson representatives / demo people.

It's why the new roller exists, which has this soft fabric inside and opens up towards the front (as opposed to just the bottom) for hardwoord floors.
(and cmiiw, you only get the bottom roller with the Ultimate edition or as a separate add-on.

For reference, here's me wasting some perfectly fine Muesli to demonstrate the shortcomings of the regular Dyson roller on hardwood floor.

In cases like the above, i'll just attach this head:
s-l225.jpg

and it's all good.

And with regards to accessories: I understand that the 'Animal' roller comes with multiple editions - i merely meant to say that: If budget is somewhat limited, i'd definitely opt to get the lower specced model (V8) in the absolute bundle, and not the higher powered (V10) in just the base model.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
The iPhone of vacuum cleaners, it's slick, it gets the job done, but man you get better value from other products like Shark.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
My Dyson's very much fine, thank you.

It's just that the roller attachment you get with the base model is more aimed at loosening dirt out of carpet floors and is actually counterproductive when it comes to collecting larger debris from hardwoord floors. I've corroborated this with multiple dyson representatives / demo people.

It's why the new roller exists, which has this soft fabric inside and opens up towards the front (as opposed to just the bottom) for hardwoord floors.

(and cmiiw, you only get the bottom roller with the Ultimate edition or as a separate add-on.

For reference, here's me wasting some perfectly fine Muesli to demonstrate the shortcomings of the regular Dyson roller on hardwood floor.

In cases like the above, i'll just attach this head:
s-l225.jpg

and it's all good.

And with regards to accessories: I understand that the 'Animal' roller comes with multiple editions - i merely meant to say that: If budget is somewhat limited, i'd definitely opt to get the lower specced model (V8) in the absolute bundle, and not the higher powered (V10) in just the base model.

I don't know what to tell you then; I have no problems vacuuming up oats with the standard carpet head on hard flooring when demoing.

That said I agree, if it's down to the V8 Absolute (both large motorised heads) and the V10 Animal (1 motorised head, missing the hard floor motorised head) and you have hard flooring in your house, I would always recommend the former especially as there are price promotions on the V8 every now and then (£85 off this BF), while the V10 is new and likely to stick around RRP. Of course if money is no object, V10 Absolute is king!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to tell you then; I have no problems vacuuming up oats with the standard carpet head on hard flooring when demoing.

That said I agree, if it's down to the V8 Absolute (both large motorised heads) and the V10 Animal (1 motorised head, missing the hard floor motorised head) and you have hard flooring in your house, I would always recommend the former especially as there are price promotions on the V8 every now and then (£85 off this BF), while the V10 is new and likely to stick around RRP. Of course if money is no object, V10 Absolute is king!

The Dyson videos literally tell you to turn off the rotating brush when vacuuming hard wood, though - something that is impossible on the handheld Dysons.

This video nicely sums up the issues the hard wood roller solves

or this timestamp

As to the bolded: Or if the size of your apartment / house makes the extra battery life a worthwhile upgrade. Like, i can get through my 1000sqft (93sqm) apartment on a single charge, no problem - but i assume it'd be rather frustrating to have your vacuum die on you half way through your cleaning session.
Getting the V8 and testing whether or not you can comfortably clean your entire place on a single charge, otherwise return it and get the V10, is also what the Dyson 'demo lady' recommended the last time i did research on the most recent Dysons (because my cousin planned on purchasing one)

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The Dyson videos literally tell you to turn off the rotating brush when vacuuming hard wood, though - something that is impossible on the handheld Dysons.

This video nicely sums up the issues the hard wood roller solves

or this timestamp

As to the bolded: Or if the size of your apartment / house makes the extra battery life a worthwhile upgrade. Like, i can get through my 1000sqft (93sqm) apartment on a single charge, no problem - but i assume it'd be rather frustrating to have your vacuum die on you half way through your cleaning session.
Getting the V8 and testing whether or not you can comfortably clean your entire place on a single charge, otherwise return it and get the V10, is also what the Dyson 'demo lady' recommended the last time i did research on the most recent Dysons (because my cousin planned on purchasing one)

Again, don't know what to tell you. I've had no problems vacuuming up oats with the handheld Dysons even without the hard floor head.

This is getting a bit too much like work (I shouldn't bring it home!), so I'll bow out after this but the main benefit of the V10 over the V8 is the added suction and also the battery tech is superior (NCA vs standard Lithium-Ion) so the battery health will not degrade nearly as much over time and should go for 10 years as opposed to the 2-3 the other model batteries do.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
ordered the V10 without thinking about it, since it was 300 euro. But think I may not keep it, and will get the V10 with a soft roller instead (V10 absolute/ V10 total).
I have mostly hard floor (natural stone I think) so I would be better off with getting the soft-roll version right?

My current dyson is fine, but it annoys me how it pushes stuff aside, and hope the soft roller on the v10 will solve that. Plus a wireless hoover looks cool to me haha. How's everyone's holding up?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ours is a decade old and still going strong. The original battery eventually started to get drained too fast, but we grabbed a cheap replacement one day on a sale.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
No!

Go with Shark. Have had mine for a couple years now and is still awesome. My Dyson was sucky (not suck?) within the same time frame. Shark also go on offer so you can get real value for money.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I absolutely love my V12. Almost a requirement with 2 dogs in the house. It makes it so easy to just pick up, vacuum, empty and put back (I use the wall mount).

If you want something that sucks more (pun kinda intended), look at a Miele canister. But the Dyson is my pick due to the ease of use.
Be cautious that the wireless ones don't last for very long until they need to be charged.
Depends on what level of suction you're using. It's a non-issue unless you have to vacuum a gigantic area at once at max suction (which I find is barely ever needed).

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Got a V7 Absolute for $200 and we absolutely love it. It picks up everything, and it's very lightweight. My wife say she could never go back to a traditional vacuum.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got a V8 Absolute for around $220 on some Slickdeals sale two years ago, love it and can't picture myself going back to anything wired again. The battery life sucks but it's so convenient and light that I find myself doing a tiny amount of hand vacuuming every day which has improved the cleanliness of my apartment tremendously.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
We love our V10 Absolute. We have used a LOT of vacuums, but finally tried my buddy's older Dyson and fell in love. I assumed it was all marketing hype, and maybe it is...But it works as advertised and we're thrilled with it as a result.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I had a Dyson Animal for a year, it was garbage. Purchased a shark navigator for half the price and it's way better IMO. The amount of dirt it pulled out of our carpet after using the Dyson was enough to make me feel sick.

Dyson are all marketing IMO, I personally would never buy another one but I also may have just got a dud.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The Dyson V10 was my favorite vacuum before they released the V11. Now they have the V11-Outsize which is even better - probably good enough to be called the V12.

Miele now has a portable vacuum but note that it has no attachments, although it is a better straight up floor vacuum than the V11.

Vacuum Wars on Youtube is an amazing channel and I use it to guide my vacuum purchases. IMO noone should even consider a cordless vacuum that is not at least a Dyson V10.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
Shark is really good. I've got the Apex Upright and it's amazing. it's so nimble and can get under stuff so well. It's a bit pricey but so worth it.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
We were given a free Dyson (lucky us), a big upright one, and it was shite. It didn't have that much suction, when you pulled the hose out to switch it to "hose mode" (i guess?), the retracting hose was too strong and the vaccuum too light, so it would just fall over.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Their cordless are the best I've tried (and I've tried like 5 different models). Their plugins are arguably overpriced though.

The V10 works well enough for me that I don't miss having a plugin vacuum honestly. The soft roller is great for the hard floors, it doesn't seem like it pushes stuff around much in my experience.

I also have a V8 for the downstairs hard floors, the V10 works great for carpet but the V8 is not as good for carpet.

Edit: Leaving up but didn't realize it was a necro. :(

Last edited:

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
The ball vacuums are good for light duty but you'll want to spend more on an standard upright vacuum if you want the best results. We've had our Kenmore vac for decades and it still outclassed anything we've bought from Dyson, iRobot and others. We use the Dyson for quick touch ups though since it's so light.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Get them on sale. We got the v7 cordless last Black Friday and it's has done alot of work for us.

Oct 27, 2017
My battery just died after 7 months. Really terrible timing since I am trying to stay home.

I hope this is not indicative of normal reliability. In all other respects I have loved the vacuum.