• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently have a Hoover Lynx, it's ok for the price. Broke within the 2 years warranty, so Hoover sent a new one. Going to keep this until it breaks again, but I'm thinking about what our next vacuum will be. Are Dyson's worth the cost? I'd only buy one on deep discount, but even then, they're super expensive.

Other devices I bought that were "cheaper versions of the best" like an Oster Versa have been so good that I don't have the urge to go for things like Vitamix's or Blendtech's blenders. The vacuum however, you can feel that it's a budget option.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. Awful, especially the cordless ones.
We got an expensive cordless one, the battery sucked, it was great the first few months though!

I went with a Miele afterwards, much better.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Wait til they have a good sale, have a corded and cordless and they are both fantastic.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Dyson, and it's been worth it.

There are probably other high-quality brands out there, but the difference between a Dyson and a Dirt Devil is noticeable, imo.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, one of the better house-things I've ever purchased.

My girlfriend even mentioned that she doesn't hate vacuuming anymore since we got it.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, we have a dyson animal. We've had it for almost 7 years and it still works as great as the day we bought it. The great thing is you can pretty much take apart the whole thing to clean it and keep it running well.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I have a dyson v6 stick vacuum and I absolutely love it. Battery is fine because my house is only like 900 sq ft.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At least in Spain they have been hard to find, seems like the traditional models are being phased out in favor of the handheld models which have been pretty disappointing so far (real bad battery life)

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I had a Dyson for a few years and replaced it with a Shark. I like the Shark a lot better.

We finally decided to buy a more premium vacuum and ended up with a Shark model. Very impressed with it, and the performance seems comparable with Dyson. We have pets and people with long hair in the house though, so I really love the fact that ours has a mechanism that cuts hair and fur to prevent the unit from jamming and needing to be taken apart and cleaned up. That's a game changer.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I much prefer my Miele C3 over the Dyson animal I had.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Dysons are great! Got ours new, but it's been holding up so well that I'm not at all surprised that others are recommending going for a refurb.

Perhaps worth mentioning that if you have small children that like you vacuum like grown-ups, the toy version of the dyson is actually terrible.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got a V11 on sale and after a year, it is still the best vacuum cleaner I ever had.
All Miele ones I had "sucked" even a professional expensive one.
The Battery is still good and cordless makes cleaning so much easier.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Look into Eufy robo-vacuums if you have the home/apartment for them.

Absolute gamechanger.

But as others have said: Dyson is great, but overpriced.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
We bought a corded one back in 2009...

It's still working great and it was much better than other types of vacs at the time as we tested this out..

Now the vac world has gone cordless since so I can't say if the above holds true today, but that Dyson we still use owes us absolutely zero really

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got one shortly after getting my dog, and it's great. I imagine if you have a large house the battery life might be an issue, but it's fine for me in a smallish 2br home. Dyson sells replacement batteries, but I have yet to see any degradation after 3 years of regular use. If you're confident with a soldering iron you can replace/upgrade the battery cells yourself too, they are standard 18650s.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I really like them, the cordless ones are so easy to use. Anything that makes vacuuming less of a chore is a big win to me.

They also usually come with every single attachment you could possibly want and I see discounts on the dyson site or Costco a lot.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Bought a Dyson Big Ball around 10 years ago. Still runs the same way as the day we bought it.

Then we got a cordless upright 2-3 years ago and it runs great too. We use that one more often now because it's convenient.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
No. Buy a Shark. Source: worked for a cleaning company and absolutely ruined the Dysons that the owner wanted, but all the Sharks held up great and did just as good of a job for much cheaper.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Mine's like 7 years old now? Still kicks ass on a regular basis. I highly recommend going the refurb route. Excellent refurb program.

Oct 27, 2017
Cordless ones? Nope.
The cored vacuum (big ball or other styles)? Absolutely worth it!

I used to have large Chow-Labs that shed EVERYWHERE and that was the only vac that could keep up with them.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Absolute junk. Save your money
Our last one stopped picking up properly after less than a year.
(Also James Dyson is a twat)

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I just bought the cordfree V10 animal, and now I look forward to cleaning. It's great

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Dyson Animal 2 that I got refurb from their Ebay store for about $120.

Discounted? Definitely the best vacuum I've ever owned. I'd never pay full price for them, however.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
By the way, if you get a cordless make sure you contact Dyson and say that it's not holding its charge after 30-60 seconds and the blue light starts blinking before your warranty is up. They asked no questions and sent a replacement.

I didn't need it then, but never know if I might, even if the new one can degrade over time without any use.

It's a habit of mine that I do with a lot of products.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The cordless ones at least have gone massively downhill in recent years.

Switching to Shark was a pro-cleaner move.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a V10 from Costco on black friday. It's pretty good. I'd rather have a real powerful canister vacuum or something but this is more convenient and cheaper.

I also think bags are underrated. Why do people want bagless vacuums? The bags are air filters folks

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you need a cordless vacuum, they are expensive but ok. If you don't need a cordless, get a Miele and never look back. I have both. The Miele is about 15x better but the Dyson is so convenient

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I have Dyson v11 outsize and it was totally worth it. But I do have Austrian Shepard and it keeps with the hair

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Bought my dyson out of the trunk of a shady guy in a shady area about 15 years ago. Still runs like a dream and only had to replace one small part. Best 100 bucks I ever spent on cleaning stuff

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
We have one and it works well enough on our dog's hairs.
That said I wouldn't buy the brand again because Dyson pushed hard for Brexit. After it was done he ans his company left the UK for Asia. So it's not just his machines who suck...

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I have had Dysons and Mieles and would recommend either over brands like Hoover.

Dysons are bagless, but you are supposed to clean the foam filter and eventually it needs to be replaced (they're quite easy to get). Miele are bagged but very good.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
They're good vacuum cleaners... But James Dyson is a brexit-y arsehole, so next time I'm in the market for a vacuum cleaner, I'll try very hard to look elsewhere (Miele sounds like a fine, European choice!)

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There was a price fuck up at Best Buy and I got a really nice Dyson with a ton of attachments for a $150 less than asking. Still wasn't cheap but its lasted me nearly a decade of constant use including have several malamutes in and out of the house. I know some people can have issues with them but its been surprisingly reliable while also working pretty well.

Burli

Nov 7, 2017
I've sworn off them because Dyson himself was a prominent campaigner for Brexit and then immediately moved his production overseas after he got his way. They've always been a wankey statement piece for people with too much disposable income, the difference nowadays is the competitors have caught up and are much more affordable.