• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): dismissing concerns of anti-black racism
no its their job to give them

If they can't play the blues then can white people rap? Can they cook soul-food at home? What about wearing Cross Color jeans? I feel like if hairstyles are gonna be on a list of things white people can't do because their race didn't invent it, then that's gonna be one massive list.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
If they can't play the blues then can white people rap? Can they cook soul-food at home? What about wearing Cross Color jeans? I feel like if hairstyles are gonna be on a list of things white people can't do because their race didn't invent it, then that's gonna be one massive list.
Imma be honest, this sounds like some slippery slope goofin. No one is coming close to saying those.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Yes. And yes to wearing kimono or yukata, so I don't have to reply when that thread comes up again.

+1 to Mona for the nice George Carlin bit though.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You really probably should be asking these questions in a black space and not on the larger public of ResetEra. These conversations get really muddied it's filled with re-explaining things to everyone out of the loop with a big numerical poll attached to it that doesn't mean anything.

Also considering your stance OP and I apologize if this seems accusatory it kinda comes off as you just trying to find some easy "I agree with you!"'s.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imma be honest, this sounds like some slippery slope goofin. No one is coming close to saying those.

We"re already discussing a hairstyle with history in places like India. How is a musical style with arguably no other influence than black influence a slippery slope? I feel like there's more of a legitimate appropriation argument to be made about Blues and Rap than there is about dreads.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
We"re already discussing a hairstyle with history in places like India. How is a musical style with arguably no other influence than black influence a slippery slope? I feel like there's more of a legitimate appropriation argument to be made about Blues and Rap than there is about dreads.
Well, are hairstyles the same as musical styles? Do they have the same history? The same place in a culture? Are people asking if white people shouldn't rap? Is there a discussion happening which is akin to the one on hairstyles? This is, like, the definition of a slippery slope, and if that doesn't sound like one to you, I'd like to hear an example which *would* meet your criteria for the definition. It this comes up for rapping or blues, then it can be addressed then. But it hasn't.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
oh grow the fuck up...

No one here is saying anything like that and you know it.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
it refers to posters getting a little too excited about what's largely a non-issue in their lives

even if white people with dreads are appropriating culture, there has always been zero consequences for that.

It's not like you regularly hear stories of white people being turned down for job opportunities for their dreadlocks or being forced to cut them off to continue a wrestling match or something

likely, fewer posters care about dreads as a cultural hairstyle either way and are simply replying on the basis of "how dare you suggest whites shouldn't do a thing"

like, all of a sudden black people are the gatekeepers of hair... cmon
I can guarantee that there are white people who end up missing out on job opportunities due to wearing dreads. Maybe not at pot dispensaries.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I can guarantee that there are white people who end up missing out on job opportunities due to wearing dreads. Maybe not at pot dispensaries.
it's wild that people claim this doesn't happen. guys, the reason you don't hear outraged stories about it is because dreads on white people are wildly understood to be a countercultural style and everyone expects that such looks won't be accepted in more buttoned-up environments.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, are hairstyles the same as musical styles? Do they have the same history? The same place in a culture? Are people asking if white people shouldn't rap? Is there a discussion happening which is akin to the one on hairstyles?

That's my entire point. Why hairstyles? Out of all the things that white people have culturally appropriated, why is the spotlight on a hairstyle?

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
Eh she can do whatever she wants it's just hair and I would not think twice if I saw her unless it looked like shit. I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. My mom would always tell my brother to cut his dreads because he looked like shit with them.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
That's my entire point. Why hairstyles? Out of all the things that white people have culturally appropriated, why is the spotlight on a hairstyle?
Well, that's beyond what I was addressing, which is that comparisons to other things was a slippery slope argument. Presumably, there are specific reasons which others are articulating in this thread, which wouldn't be the case with other things.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As an Indian, dread like hair has been in our culture for generations.

So I think I have the right to say yes, anyone can wear dreads.

Sharing culture is good imo.

Last edited:

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
it's wild that people claim this doesn't happen. guys, the reason you don't hear outraged stories about it is because dreads on white people are wildly understood to be a countercultural style and everyone expects that such looks won't be accepted in more buttoned-up environments.

Yup, I got turned down for a couple of jobs because of my dreads. Even though they were perfectly clean and presentable, especially when tied back. And part of the reason is just like you say, they're an indicator of counter culture. And also...that specific counter culture wasn't always as clean and presentable.

And that seems to be different from black culture. There dreadlocks seem to be unacceptable simply because they are part and expression of black culture. I have seen a lot of black people, perfectly dressed with perfectly maintained and clean dreads who look completely professional. Like the dude a couple of pages back.

Anyway, since they were me being non-conformist it gave me plenty of reason to rage against the machine, thinking they should've hired me anyway. So that still worked out.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I feel like white people who ask questions like this are wanting "permission" to do something and to not be judged by any Black people for doing that thing. And that just won't happen.

Last edited:

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Not only there Ásatrú is getting very popular all over Scandinavia and Europe for a while now and there where always people following this faith it never left. I went to a Julfest ritual last year in the Netherlands (funny enough some people there wore dreads...) i'm not a believer but it was very interesting.
Viking and Folk metal in general is pretty huge which obviously plays a big role in getting people interested in Ásatrú and other forms of Neuheidentum (what we call it here in Germany https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisches_Neuheidentum).

Last edited:

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the cultural aspect probably depends on more than just he hair, right?

If you got a dude with dreads and a viking beard, he's not appropriating (well, maybe he is, but who cares).

If you got a Raz Trent lookin' mother fucker walking around with dreads, then eh maybe don't do that?

Hair is just hair, it's all the other stuff that counts.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to this,many people consider the Indian Sadus immigration to Jamaica as the forefathers of the Rastafarian religion/dread wearing
Yep along with parts of the bible.
Dreadlocks are a natural fit with their belief of living as naturally as possible.

Then when they populaised the style others adopted it for similar reasons. Most notably hippy types. Maybe because of an old colleague but I associate dreadlocks as much with the type of people that go to the solstices at stone henge and Glastonbury as I do Rastafarians.

Modern druid, pagan, wicca etc can argue their ancestors had similar hair, especially the Celts but that's all arguable, records aren't great and often from Romans.

Hair, religion and spirituality have a long history.

Jan 11, 2019
I think it's wonderful if other people do that. I understand cultural appropriation, but I prefer to think about it on a case by case basis.

For example, there is this huge annual afro-festival in a town nearby. There, they play "African" music, which I personally think to be a hellarious term considering the size of the continent.

This festival also seems to be the gathering of the middle- to upper-class housewives who come dressed up like someone who thinks you can look up a photo collage of Tansania, Nigeria, Ghana, Eritrea and let's say some Tuareg People and then combine those fashions into one big African goofball thingy and look appropriate. Many a person there sports dreads.

I personally think it's very endearing because it comes from a place of respect and love and longing, even if they might be a bit misguided.

Please also consider that I am very white and also a poor commenter on such matters because I have never actually stepped foot on the African continent myself.

Let's say someone puts on a dreadlock wig and paints their face and goes to a dress up party, there you'll have me intervening.

Last edited:

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Is it ok to grow your own hair long and turn it into dreads?

better check on the internet to see if it's ok first.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Sure, but can we talk about how dreads and other afro hairstyles are somehow problematic for black people to wear at school and the work place?

When that double standard ceases to exist then threads like this won't need to be made.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but can we talk about how dreads and other afro hairstyles are somehow problematic for black people to wear at school and the work place?

When that double standard ceases to exist then threads like this won't need to be made.

absolutely valid point but that being said i don't think i've ever seen a white guy with dreads that had a job.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure it is ok for anyone to have have dreads, never realized it was an issue.

I've only run across a few white women with nice looking dreads though. Evidently it take a lot of work to keep them from fusing into a hair blob mass on white people.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not only there Ásatrú is getting very popular all over Scandinavia and Europe for a while now and there where always people following this faith it never left. I went to a Julfest ritual last year in the Netherlands (funny enough some people there wore dreads...) i'm not a believer but it was very interesting.
Viking and Folk metal in general is pretty huge which obviously plays a big role in getting people interested in Ásatrú and other forms of Neuheidentum (what we call it here in Germany https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanisches_Neuheidentum).

In the Netherlands? Awesome. Where was it held? Maybe I can go next year

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This too! Our hair is only starting to become somewhat accepted in the work place

Man I've even seen a Black employer try to get an intern to cut his dreads, for what lol. AntiBlackness runs deep.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This... isn't true, is it? In my experience white people with dreads are stereotyped as, like, people who like using drugs and belong to some alternative subculture (metal scene, hippies, etc.) I feel like dreads on white people are absolutely seen as unprofessional akin to facial piercings or other unconventional styling and aren't accepted in a ton of workplaces.
Well duh, they've been stereotyped in this very thread =D As filthy and whatnot.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I feel questions like this are merely a distraction from the real issues. If all people had the feeling they were treated like equals and had the same opportunities then nobody would give a rat's ass about hair or cultural appropriation in general. It would simply be an exchange of inspiration. But we all know this isn't the case.

Anyway, do with your hair as you like.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly can't fathom why the fuck anyone would give a shit about other people's hair. It's fucking hair! JFC!

If people don't mind having a hairstyle that clearly doesn't suit them, that's their fucking business.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017

As I white guy who thinks you should be able to have dreads to express yourself, I obviously think this goes for black people as well. Especially if it is such a big part of your culture. And all I can say is that it sucks that happens so much. And even that feels like some sort of faux wokeness. So, yeah, absolutely, talk about that. It just feels like I have absolutely nothing of use to contribute to that conversation. Doesn't feel like my place.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Just to reiterate what I said earlier,

What they want:

o.jpg

What they're gonna get:

images

I actually prefer the look of the second picture. So maybe the first picture is what you would want, and the second picture is what the girl on the second picture wanted.

Mind you I was raised in the 80's metal and 90's grunge scene, so what is attractive to me is obviously different, but to reiterate my point earlier you don't have to like their hairstyle, they have to like their hairstyle, and other people don't liking it is definitely a plus in many cases.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This... isn't true, is it? In my experience white people with dreads are stereotyped as, like, people who like using drugs and belong to some alternative subculture (metal scene, hippies, etc.) I feel like dreads on white people are absolutely seen as unprofessional akin to facial piercings or other unconventional styling and aren't accepted in a ton of workplaces.
It's a weird situation. Dreads aren't a part of white culture (nor is hair really) so white people aren't going to walk into a work place with dreads. White hair is a change of clothes for white people, Black hair is more significant to Black people.

White society has been at war with Black hair the moment we got off the slave ships. Our hair signified different cultures and even within a culture group, hairstyles signified different rank, so our hair was warred upon as part of erasing our identities.

The workplace ban on dreads is anti-Black and is part of work culture with specifically Black people in mind. The 2 white people that walk into a job interview with dreads are collateral damage. It ain't just dreads, so many Black hairstyles are beefed with at work.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a white guy and I have had natural dreadlocks for 10 years now. They were down way past my ass so I just cut 10 inches off and they're still down to my belly button. I don't do anything to them besides wash them, it's just how my hair grows. I like natural dreadlocks on white people, obviously, but I think "crochet locks" look fucking stupid. Overly neat, manicured dreads on white people just have such a dumb, fake look to them.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say nah, unless you have ginger hair. Ginger can kinda rock dreads. Plus the gingers get all kinds of abuse as kids just for being ginger, so as adults they get to have an extra free pass to do what the fuck they like with their hair.

I married one too, but she doesn't have dreads.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the concern trolling hits just right

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
People can wear their hair however they want, I'll just silently judge them for looking ridiculous

And yes the Freestyler video was the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In the Netherlands? Awesome. Where was it held? Maybe I can go next year

It was mostly a private gathering some dutch asatru friends of mine organized. I'm not asatru myself, more like a history geek especially for old norse and germanic history. I know from my friends there are some active groups in the Netherlands doing open Julfest gatherings and such every year but i don't really know much more about the scene there sorry.

Last edited:

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who had locks, I don't mind seeing a white person with locks. As a matter of fact, I just saw co-worker with locks last week.

My thing is that it never comes out looking good on white people unless they take care of it and use extensions.

Side note: don't know how other people, who have locks, feal about the use of the term "dreads" or "dreadslocks".

Jul 24, 2020
Of course it depends.

If I see a white guy put on dreadlocks who half the time says stupid racist things. But likes Kendrick Lamar or something...sorry mate. You're an idiot. The dreads make you look dumber.

Likewise if I see a black person who pretends they aren't black, dislikes anything that is associated (or purportedly so) with black or African culture and the community *cough* Candace Owens* *cough*. I'm gonna assume you're straight hair and and posh dress is you... being an idiot too.

And fyi I don't differentiate between idiots and racists.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018

1% is hardly 'thriving'. The increase seen lately is largely driven by recent push for cultural preservation of elements associated with paganism. The majority of members are almost assuredly atheist, it is more an cultural organization than it is a religious one. Christianity plays a major role in Icelandic culture still, we still have a state church despite fast tracking to a majority atheist nation, lol

This is legitimately fascinating. Are there specific groups and villages who continue living a wholesale viking lifestyle in modern times? Not just the partaking in competitions and the like, but like day-to-day living?

I can only speak for Iceland; no there are not. There are specific events that are celebrated (i.e. Midsummer, Þorrablót), and Nordic countries refer to Christmas by its pre-Christianised name, Yule/Jul/Jól, but that's about it.
Unless you'd want to argue that farmers are living that lifestyle lol.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I wish sometimes we could have black Era only threads for things like this.
White people need to take into account how a piece of culture came to them (come on generally it isn't from vikings) and what effect they may have on it and its society wide perception just by engaging in it.
Ultimately the western world is not a cultural melting pot, it's often cultural grab bag of stuff white people like, all of mainstream culture bends around their whims. That's why the "sure, I love engaging in other cultures" comments by white people seem so naive to me, it ignores the harm that is done when minority culture is abstracted from its meaning and context by white people.