• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Surely that just means everyone gets to wear them. We don't know where they came from so no-one can claim them (even if we did they shouldn't). Just because more black people wear them now doesn't mean they should be exclusive to black people even if they 'look better'. It's bizarre to me for someone to be able to say one race or another should or shouldn't do something.

I don't like any choice or opinion(music, food, hairstyle, clothing, religion) being linked to something that isn't a choice like race or gender. It keeps people in unnecessary arbitrary boxes.
There's a long history of white people appropriating cultural symbols from black people in particular and then excluding black people from that very thing. People in here are talking about the double standards black people have faced against dreadlocks that white people don't. Rock music can be traced to black musicians, but there's decades worth of exclusionary and racist trends in the genre.

I'm not saying your sentiment is wrong, because I agree with it. But there's a wider context to it and we white people (don't know if you are white, I just mean "my" race) seem to be immune to the kinds of cultural erasure that minorities face. It's "fine" for white people to adopt other traditions because it shows how "inclusive" we are, whereas it's "exclusionary" of minorities to maintain their own culture and not conform to white norms. It's a huge social double standard and makes it a little harder to just say "well we're all free to do anything if it's with the right intentions" - I mean, that's the justification I've heard from some disgusting people I know that think it's okay for them to use the N-word.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
How many of the dreadlock styles that white people are using are taken straight from African or Carribean culture? Basically all of them.

Hard to say "but vikings and metal" when you're trying to look like Bob Marley.

Yeah, other cultures use them. But that's typically not the styles white people are trying to imitate.

Also they look like crap on most white people. And whatever picture of some white celebrity that meets every conventional beauty standard with them and just barely pulling it off is not a counterpoint.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
If said white person is actually mixed race with Afro/Caribbean genetics? Sure, they have every right to express that part of their ethnicity.

Pure whites? Nah, that's cultural appropriation. Dreads are more than just a hairstyle to black people. For a lot of them, it's part of their black identity.
Dreads have been worn by many cultures throughout history. It isn't.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Again, you can wear whatever you want. I ain't gon run up on you (just make fun of you in my head). But you don't really get the right to dictate how other people feel about you muscling in on something that is not only more common in their culture than yours, but is something that is inextricably tied to the social stigma those people continue to face on the daily for wearing the very thing you're playing around with.

That's what Era collectively fails to understand every time black hair comes up. Racial dynamics exist. Racial hierarchies exist. We live in a world of racial disparity, where double standards already exist in favor of white people. Sorry that you get made fun of or ostracized for experimenting around with a hairstyle that people whose hair better trends towards get stigmatized for. If you want the pushback to stop, help black people out in destigmatizing black hair and its subsequent styles in education and the workplace. That would be a nice start!

I've made my point a few times already. You're just mad at my snark (which isn't undeserved). Sorry to have hurt your feelings?

You are not really sorry lol and you did make your point, I'm just saying is not the point in the OP, just a collateral

Another thing I'd like to point out is that most white people that think dreads look bad on white people think they look bad on black people as well, and if they think they look worse on white people, well most of the time they think that for the worse reasons possible, so I wouldn't lean on their opinion too much

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Also, another thing this thread is making clear is that it's not just the perspective on dreads that's different from Black people, the APPROACH is too.

What's described in the OP...the twist, braid and neglect method?

Uhh...it's like we're talking about two different things at this point.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's "fine" for white people to adopt other traditions because it shows how "inclusive" we are, whereas it's "exclusionary" of minorities to maintain their own culture and not conform to white norms. It's a huge social double standard and makes it a little harder to just say "well we're all free to do anything if it's with the right intentions" - I mean, that's the justification I've heard from some disgusting people I know that think it's okay for them to use the N-word.

Yup. Its whiplash from the other side. Jazz music is bad and seen as primitive in the 1920's...until open minded white musicians see what happens and start bucking the trend.

And the thing is, it gets weird. Like someone said earlier in the post, sure...someone might be wearing it because it's a viking tradition. But odds are, its really because of Bob Marley.

This whole 'kumbaya, everyone should be able to celebrate anything' is really a one way street. If white society was cool and accepting of black hairstyles...it wouldn't necessarily be black hairstyles would it, just a greater part of pop culture. Its odd; to have society tell you to keep that (insert cultural aspect) over there in that corner away from whiteness...but also want to lay claim to it anytime.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Even if dreads were something I thought I could pull of or had a desire to pull of, knowing that it's inevitably going to upset someone in that way even if the consensus isn't clear (and I imagine, the consensus probably IS clear that white people shouldn't) that's more than enough for me to steer way the fuck away. Like, easy victory just don't.

Also, it feels like a lot of potentially inflammatory threads like this have been cropping up lately..

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Personality i think it's fine, cultures around the world have used dreads. So if a white person wants them it's whatever.

Just be cognizant of the double standards when it comes to black people wearing them. It's still seen as a negative, like people saying it's dirty, unprofessional or what not.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Dreads have been worn by many cultures throughout history. It isn't.
Can someone provide evidence of this being a long standing cultural tradition? I've already tried looking myself and asking if anyone knows a source but I've yet to see these claim substantiated (for western cultures, anyway, not India). Saying it isn't cultural appropriation because your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents did isn't a strong argument to me that it isn't black appropriation. That an article says Vikings had matted hair 800 years ago isn't proof its a culturally valued tradition, it's just evidence of institutional racism within our public sphere of information whitewashing history to make something "ours".

And I'll say the same thing I've said previously - I'm not saying Nordic or Germanic people or whoever don't have a long tradition of dreads, I just can't find any evidence supporting it and nobody else seems to be providing any.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
People (in the context of this discussion, White) are going to copy/appropriate/etc... what's popular/what they see as popular, and lots of the most popular (in the context of this discussion, Non White) celebs that people look up to/inspire to be wear dreads. That's the cost of popularity when it comes to these "cultural appropriation" discussions.

Oct 27, 2017
JBzmhk9.jpg

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
It's none of my business but I will say that the only times I've seen it look okay on white dudes is when they proportion it in such a way that you have to wonder why they even bothered. Like the dreads are inconsequential at best. And pretty much always need to be accompanied by a beard.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Racism; Prior Bans for Trolling and Inflammatory Behavior
I don't consider dreads a cultural thing but more a style choice and honestly I feel like 9 times out of 10 they are ugly no matter who wears them. I've known several people of different races that I've been friends with that wore dreads in the past and not once was I a fan. I also feel the same way about afros and people that shave one side of their head.

I don't feel like any of those hairstyles reflect a particular race or culture inn the modern world I think all of it i simply a style choice and honestly I find all three of those hairstyles unappealing.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I don't consider dreads a cultural thing but more a style choice and honestly I feel like 9 times out of 10 they are ugly no matter who wears them. I've known several people of different races that I've been friends with that wore dreads in the past and not once was I a fan. I also feel the same way about afros and people that shave one side of their head.

I don't feel like any of those hairstyles reflect a particular race or culture inn the modern world I think all of it i simply a style choice and honestly I find all three of those hairstyles unappealing.

Afros?

I mean, people can feel however they want about dreads (although I tend to find a lot of the critiques to be racially coded, often blatantly so).

But afros? That's more than just a "hairstyle." For people with 3a to 4c hair textures, afros are literally our hair's default state if you let it grow.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Dreads are like fedoras: you need a certain look and style to actually pull off. Most cannot, pretty, attractive people can.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Afros?

I mean, people can feel however they want about dreads (although I tend to find a lot of the critiques to be racially coded, often blatantly so).

But afros? That's more than just a "hairstyle." For people with 3a to 4c hair textures, afros are literally our hair's default state if you let it grow.
I gues I just see afros as a1970s hairstyle.. I know some peoplestill wear their hair that way and im not trying to knock them, to me it just feels like a style from a past era though.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I gues I just see afros as a1970s hairstyle.. I know some peoplestill wear their hair that way and im not trying to knock them, to me it just feels like a style from a past era though.
I can understand that. Afros WERE the look in the 70s.

But afros really transcend "style" because, again, it's the default of state of kinky hair textures. Like, if I do nothing but wash my hair and keep it free of tangling, the resulting look after a certain amount of time would be an afro. In that way, even though afros are not the "trend" they were in the 70s, Black people still wear them.

And I don't mean to be pedantic or anything. Just wanted to illustrate how tricky these conversations can be, because too often Black people's default state and our very culture are relegated to stylistic choices.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, anyone is free to choose whatever hair style they please. People generally wear their hair because they like or appreciate the style, so I see that as something positive.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
Can someone provide evidence of this being a long standing cultural tradition? I've already tried looking myself and asking if anyone knows a source but I've yet to see these claim substantiated (for western cultures, anyway, not India). Saying it isn't cultural appropriation because your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents did isn't a strong argument to me that it isn't black appropriation. That an article says Vikings had matted hair 800 years ago isn't proof its a culturally valued tradition, it's just evidence of institutional racism within our public sphere of information whitewashing history to make something "ours".

And I'll say the same thing I've said previously - I'm not saying Nordic or Germanic people or whoever don't have a long tradition of dreads, I just can't find any evidence supporting it and nobody else seems to be providing any.

Why does it matter? Ignoring the Viking excuse, why shouldn't people wear their hair however they like?

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
There's a long history of white people appropriating cultural symbols from black people in particular and then excluding black people from that very thing. People in here are talking about the double standards black people have faced against dreadlocks that white people don't. Rock music can be traced to black musicians, but there's decades worth of exclusionary and racist trends in the genre.

I'm not saying your sentiment is wrong, because I agree with it. But there's a wider context to it and we white people (don't know if you are white, I just mean "my" race) seem to be immune to the kinds of cultural erasure that minorities face. It's "fine" for white people to adopt other traditions because it shows how "inclusive" we are, whereas it's "exclusionary" of minorities to maintain their own culture and not conform to white norms. It's a huge social double standard and makes it a little harder to just say "well we're all free to do anything if it's with the right intentions" - I mean, that's the justification I've heard from some disgusting people I know that think it's okay for them to use the N-word.

Fair enough, I'm just an idealist and want the best of the world to be available to all of the world, no matter the cultural origin.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I can understand that. Afros WERE the look in the 70s.

But afros really transcend "style" because, again, it's the default of state of kinky hair textures. Like, if I do nothing but wash my hair and keep it free of tangling, the resulting look after a certain amount of time would be an afro. In that way, even though afros are not the "trend" they were in the 70s, Black people still wear them.

And I don't mean to be pedantic or anything. Just wanted to illustrate how tricky these conversations can be, because too often Black people's default state and our very culture are relegated to stylistic choices.

Theres 0 point In explaining to that goofy because they completely ignored that our hair naturally grows in that state

Also the Afro was essentially worn by one ethnicity, they ain't fucking slick 🥱

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Why does it matter? Ignoring the Viking excuse, why shouldn't people wear their hair however they like?
I'm not personally invested in if dreads are cultural appropriation, my question is none the less important to the context of an overwhelming number of people saying "actually they're not appropriating anyone's culture, they're celebrating their own traditions" without substantiating or offering evidence. I literally said why it matters in the post you quoted - if this is a lie being dispersed among us that so many people accept it as offhand truth, then it's a sign of institutional racism in our sources of information being party to racial propaganda. And if so many people can empirically state that it's part of their culture in a subject around cultural appropriation, but it's not actually true, then you have a bunch of presumably well meaning people further dispersing racial propaganda which I think is a problem.

I mean you can feel free to look at my posts in this thread, literally every post is just me asking about this information that keeps coming up, and that I personally don't judge anyone for their hair choice. But if people are going to keep using it as a defence, I guess I'm just going to keep asking if it's true because surely someone knows?

And I just realized you responded to my other post which now feels weird because you can clearly see between the two posts of mine you responded to why I'm asking this...

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I'm just an idealist and want the best of the world to be available to all of the world, no matter the cultural origin.
Everyone wants that. But the way to achieve that isn't to pretend we already live in an equitable world. It's to address the inequalities that exist first.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
everytime i see them on white people they look like they have dog turds hanging from their heads.
If they want to look dumb who am i to stop them lol

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just to reiterate what I said earlier,

What they want:

o.jpg

What they're gonna get:

images

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
I'm not personally invested in if dreads are cultural appropriation, my question is none the less important to the context of an overwhelming number of people saying "actually they're not appropriating anyone's culture, they're celebrating their own traditions" without substantiating or offering evidence. I literally said why it matters in the post you quoted - if this is a lie being dispersed among us that so many people accept it as offhand truth, then it's a sign of institutional racism in our sources of information being party to racial propaganda. And if so many people can empirically state that it's part of their culture in a subject around cultural appropriation, but it's not actually true, then you have a bunch of presumably well meaning people further dispersing racial propaganda which I think is a problem.

I mean you can feel free to look at my posts in this thread, literally every post is just me asking about this information that keeps coming up, and that I personally don't judge anyone for their hair choice. But if people are going to keep using it as a defence, I guess I'm just going to keep asking if it's true because surely someone knows?

And I just realized you responded to my other post which now feels weird because you can clearly see between the two posts of mine you responded to why I'm asking this...

Yep, sorry about that. I don't often pay enough attention in threads to notice who's saying what, I was just replying to that one point.

Everything else you said is completely fair and like I said above, I'm purely speaking about all this in an ideal context. In the world I want to live in, anybody should be able to wear whatever they want. I would rather any physical difference we had would be judged as mildly as the difference in hair colour is.

But I also realise it's not an ideal world so I'll leave it there.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
I honestly think its no big deal, but wouldn't it be Cultural Appreciation rather then cultural appropriation?

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Black people with dreads are often told they have unprofessional hair style, whereas that's not really a criticism white people with dreads get(they're often told it looks bad, but they don't lose out on a job or face other systemic judgement as a result of wearing dreads). Taken in this context, black folks are stigmatized for engaging in their culture, while white folks are relatively given a pass.
This... isn't true, is it? In my experience white people with dreads are stereotyped as, like, people who like using drugs and belong to some alternative subculture (metal scene, hippies, etc.) I feel like dreads on white people are absolutely seen as unprofessional akin to facial piercings or other unconventional styling and aren't accepted in a ton of workplaces.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone should be telling another person what they can do with their own body. That being said, I don't think it's a good luck for white people.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I would say it's bad (and it's not really in my place to say), but whenever I see it I do get some not-particularly-positive preconceived notions about the person.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they legitimately take care of them then i guess sure it's ok, I'm black and i might be like.. oh that's interesting... anyway..and call it a day.
However if she or anyone is clearly not taking care of them and gonna neglect them and they think that's how you get locs and don't do anything else then yeah.. IMO that's a problem as it implies locs are just by nature dirty and lazy which they're obviously far from. If they or anyone goea in with that mindset that is indeed problematic.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
She looks a bit hippy-ish, so I imagine if anything she was going for the Sadhu style

lHtXoDT.jpg

I'm just saying, due to the thinness of most white women's hair, you just don't have the volume for good looking dreads.

IF you were somehow magically able to unlock someone's hair if they have long dreads, it'd be like: