• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
this is a very bad take
Explain to me why. I want to learn why it's bad so I don't have any further bad takes. I want to get better.

And, I believe a lot of other people in this thread could learn from it as well. Is it a cultural issue? Is it racist?

I want people to be able to express themselves regardless of their background, but I want to know where the lines are drawn. There are many who are uninformed or lost on this issue, so please speak up.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Explain to me why. I want to learn why it's bad so I don't have any further bad takes.

And, I believe a lot of other people in this thread could learn from it as well.
Context my friend. Black people straightening their hair is not in the same universe as white people getting dreads. Black people throughout the world have a longgg history of being forced to straighten their hair among many other things in order to assimilate into white society. white people get dreads simply because they think it will look cool. the viking argument is frankly just silly. no one is locking their hair to respect the vikings lmao

- not saying that's why Black people today straighten their hair -

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
in 1993-4 i used to BBS and there was an older user called Malicious Intent. He ended up being a unix admin and had been in the crust core band Destroy! in the late 80s-early90s. He had dreads. I think maybe it was ok for him, but just him. Think he goes by Nate Cyberscabies now.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I still don't understand for the life of me why people get tight over black folks having afros or dreads at work.
I used to work in a USPS mail processing plant with a million people of different races and backgrounds and it was great because there wasn't a dress code. You could wear your hair any way. You could have no hair. Fake hair. Dreads, afro, braids, glam rock hair, whatever. As long as you weren't in danger working a machine, you were good. I wish all workplaces were like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm black. I don't care if White people get dreadlocks. But I can see why there would be an issue as dreadlocks are associated with the Rastafarian religion. Their issues are valid.
Id be surprised if most black people in the US that have locs are rasta. Though im biased because that's never once factored into my decision to wear them, and my peoples are even West Indian lol

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Explain to me why. I want to learn why it's bad so I don't have any further bad takes.

And, I believe a lot of other people in this thread could learn from it as well.
Black people largely began straightening their hair to assimilate into white culture where straight hair is considered "more professional." White people haven't been forced to wear dreads to assimilate into another dominating culture.

The fact that they don't proselytize means they're okay in my book.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Context my friend. Black people straightening their hair is not in the same universe as white people getting dreads. Black people throughout the world have a longgg history of being forced to straighten their hair among many other things in order to assimilate into white society.

- not saying that's why Black people today straighten their hair -
Thanks!

I admit, I didn't think about the history and context when I posted. I was just coming from a personal space, about expression in general. Trying to control peoples bodies in 2020 is something I just can't stand, but I understand that society allowing people to even have a choice is a far cry from how things were in the past.

Pickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel we should stop trying to find issues where there aren't. It's just hair, let people have It as they like. It's not racist in the slighest.
We need to stop attributing physical characteristics to race, its a necessary step to become a society that gives no fucks about the color of your skin

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I think dreads on anyone look bad, but hey, it ain't my thing. People are entitled to wear their hair however they like (regardless of race).

GettyImages-77235618.jpg

I demand you retract your statement.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think it can look great on white people, and even if they don't, how is that an argument as to if it's ok or not?

Maybe they go for that look because they don't want other people to like their haircut. The more my parents didn't like my long hair the more I liked it

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You were wrong and now youre splitting hairs.
How is this splitting hairs? Multiple people have said "Vikings wore dreads." Another member said Vikings still wear them. I incorrectly said that Vikings don't exist anymore as a snarky opener to one poster. You came in complaining about how saying a specific subset of people don't exist anymore is somehow equivalent to the erasure of ALL of Germanic, Celtic, and Norse culture. And you want to talk about splitting hairs? Can you address the rest of my posts with regards to black culture or nah?

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
y'all sure do have opinions about black people who feel some type of way about y'all wearing them

I suppose that would be because people only usually express their difference of opinion when they disagree with a topic. That's likely to happen anytime it's brought up. A bullshit generalisation is made: "person of certain colour can't look good with certain hairstyle" and people will disagree with the generalisation...because it's bullshit.

I don't think much about dreads but I have nothing against anyone having them for any reason. I feel the same with most fashion trends that happen. I've never been hip or 'with it' but I know what I like and I know that in principle I should be allowed any hair or fashion style I like and whether or not you think I would or do look good is utterly irrelevant.

BTW I'm not saying dreads are a trend, just that they're a choice.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
But but but the Vikings... lol. Seriously? I can't believe people actually use that as an argument.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I'm black. I don't care if White people get dreadlocks. But I can see why there would be an issue as dreadlocks are associated with the Rastafarian religion. Their issues are valid.
Same. I understand some people can have issues with it, but who has the time or energy to care about that. That mindspace breeds misery and you end up letting other people live rent-free in your head. It just sounds so tiring.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's an issue, but in terms of looks, it depends. Some just look awful with dreads.

This shit happened at my school lmao - Its been a while since I seen this. Thread just reminded me of it.

For background - the guy was being harassed because of his hair. She was saying that it was cultural appropriation and that he had no business wearing like that.

She was tripping.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
This is legitimately fascinating. Are there specific groups and villages who continue living a wholesale viking lifestyle in modern times? Not just the partaking in competitions and the like, but like day-to-day living?

Because it's a truism that is in addition to my points. White people, on average, don't look good in them, don't really wear them except in very specific cultural or niche circumstances, but man y'all sure do have opinions about black people who feel some type of way about y'all wearing them. The prior post about even having this discussion on Era rings true.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people in Scandinavia who are really into Viking stuff.

We have a "Viking settlements" which is really more cool.
They build houses by the same technology and craft used way back when.

Aug 13, 2019
Kinda? Cultural appropriation is inevitable in a melting pot and most of the time no one cares. It's the combination of appropriation and stigmatization that typically frustrates people.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
You know I've tried googling and I really can't find anything about the culture of dreads in Germanic/Nordic regions. If someone has something that shows a continued tradition of dreads in these other cultures it would be helpful, because a lot of what I find just talks about fairly old history. Like if people quit wearing dreads for 600 years then decided to start wearing it after the cultural explosion of dreadlocks introduced by black cultures, that's not a part of their culture, that's just them finding a justification for why they've done what they did. Is there any documented evidence of a continued tradition, or is it just blurbs online saying "x had dreads at some point."

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it would be helpful if someone actually has a resource to support this framing.

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
On topic: I don't know why people bother asking these types of questions in majority white communities. You're going to get an uninformed opinion at best, if not offensive.

Always yes I agree.

But if anyone wants to really stand on the idea Vikings were "only white" I got news for you, nah

Time: White Supremacists Have Weaponized an Imaginary Viking Past. It's Time to Reclaim the Real History

time.com

White Supremacists Have Weaponized an Imaginary Viking Past. It’s Time to Reclaim the Real History

Real Viking society was multicultural and multiracial. So where does the white supremacist vision of their genealogy come from?

Washington Post: White supremacists love Vikings. But they've got history all wrong.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that would be because people only usually express their difference of opinion when they disagree with a topic. That's likely to happen anytime it's brought up. A bullshit generalisation is made: "person of certain colour can't look good with certain hairstyle" and people will disagree with the generalisation...because it's bullshit.
No one has really shown photos of white people who are rocking the look just as well as black people on average do. I mean, hell, you even have other white people saying white people on average look shit in them (which, again, is not to say there is or never has been a single individual who has been designated "white" who cannot look good in dreadlocks). But honestly, all this hemming and hawwing about Viking culture is just derailing away from the point that dreadlocks are an inextricable part of modern black culture, and as a result, white people are going to have to navigate racial politics when discussing it no matter who wore them centuries ago. Too bad, so sad. Should probably stop telling us to cut ours off if you don't want any uncomfortable pushback.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people in Scandinavia who are really into Viking stuff.

We have a "Viking settlements" which is really more cool.
They build houses by the same technology and craft used way back when.
That is legit dedication to the cause, although funnily enough I'm willing to bet those houses are sturdy as fuck. xD

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what kind of hair style you have personally. I just think we (white people) look bad in them. I've seem it pulled off well a total of 2 times.

Dec 12, 2017
How is this splitting hairs? Multiple people have said "Vikings wore dreads." Another member said Vikings still wear them. I incorrectly said that Vikings don't exist anymore as a snarky opener to one poster. You came in complaining about how saying a specific subset of people don't exist anymore is somehow equivalent to the erasure of ALL of Germanic, Celtic, and Norse culture. And you want to talk about splitting hairs? Can you address the rest of my posts with regards to black culture or nah?
Splitting hairs was a bad pun. My point is more that "dreads" have been found In Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe etc. I have Indian relatives that live amongst a sect that almost all the males have dreads. So it's hard for me to say that it belongs to anyone specific group of people, but I think it's fair to say modern black culture has popularized it to an extent (at least in the west).

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
White people with dreads that I came across were generally more progressive than regular white folks, so I don't associate them with anything negative in that sense.

It's still annoying though because they are likely going to be ignorant of how their own privilege makes having dreads way easier for them.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to believe most white people have dreads to be racist or to steal a culture. I'd imagine they think it looks cool and probably idolize someone who has them. In a way its a weird compliment, but 99% of the time it looks like assaroni.

I'd advise against it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You know I've tried googling and I really can't find anything about the culture of dreads in Germanic/Nordic regions. If someone has something that shows a continued tradition of dreads in these other cultures it would be helpful, because a lot of what I find just talks about fairly old history. Like if people quit wearing dreads for 600 years then decided to start wearing it after the cultural explosion of dreadlocks introduced by black cultures, that's not a part of their culture, that's just them finding a justification for why they've done what they did. Is there any documented evidence of a continued tradition, or is it just blurbs online saying "x had dreads at some point."

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it would be helpful if someone actually has a resource to support this framing.
I'd assume any culture back in the day who braided hair probably got dreads at one point just from living conditions.

"
Historians and anthropologists have found evidence of the 'do in ancient Egypt, Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, the Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa.

As University of Richmond professor Bert Ashe writes in "Twisted: My Dreadlock Chronicles," the better question is, "Who hasn't worn dreadlocks at one time or another?"
"
www.cnn.com

Dear white people with dreadlocks: Some things to consider | CNN

Dreadlocks on white people: Cultural appropriation, fashion faux pas or both? A viral video prompts debate over race and power.

Oct 25, 2017
As a white person I don't have a perspective on whether it's okay to do that or not. I think a lot of why it is not okay to some people has to do with the double standard that is applied, where white people and black people can wear dreads, but it's less likely to catch someone shit for their hair for the white person.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Splitting hairs was a bad pun.
You've got me all twisted now.

My point is more that "dreads" have been found In Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe etc. I have Indian relatives that live amongst a sect that almost all the males have dreads. So it's hard for me to say that it belongs to anyone specific group of people, but I think it's fair to say modern black culture has popularized it to an extent (at least in the west).
That's the thing. Nobody denies that dreadlocks are a widespread hairstyle in terms of historical contexts.

But when a person asks if it's okay to wear them if they're white, they're asking about modern social contexts. I would argue that, yes, dreadlocks are much more endemic to today's black culture than they are to today's white culture, and that the politics of black hair are thus relevant in this context, hence why you have a lot of black people that get fired up about it. At that point, it doesn't actually matter where dreadlocks originally came from (especially since no one can even pinpoint if "white cultures" even had them or not, which is its own rabbit hole), because again the question being asked is "is it offensive to black people?" (it is to many) or even "is it appropriating modern black culture" (yes, it is in many contexts). Saying "x culture wears/wore them" is basically a middle finger to black people within the scope of the discussion.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
No one has really shown photos of white people who are rocking the look just as well as black people on average do. I mean, hell, you even have other white people saying white people on average look shit in them (which, again, is not to say there is or never has been a single individual who has been designated "white" who cannot look good in dreadlocks). But honestly, all this hemming and hawwing about Viking culture is just derailing away from the point that dreadlocks are an inextricable part of modern black culture, and as a result, white people are going to have to navigate racial politics when discussing it no matter who wore them centuries ago. Too bad, so sad. Should probably stop telling us to cut ours off if you don't want any uncomfortable pushback.

That is legit dedication to the cause, although funnily enough I'm willing to bet those houses are sturdy as fuck. xD

Weather they look better ot worse on them is not the point really so I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

Also white people that like dreads are not the ones telling black folks to cut them.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The entire conversation surrounding dreadlocks can be frustrating because it is too often framed as a low-key admonishment of something considered a ubiquitous part of Black culture (and not as "low-key" as some of y'all think. You ain't slick), and/or dreadlocks are positioned as some sort of "counterculture" identifier.

Deadlocks are not dirty.

Dreadlocks are not lazy.

Dreadlocks are not unkempt.

Dreadlocks are not "cool."

Dreadlocks are not "different."

Dreadlocks are not a personality.

And yet this is often the language that dominates conversations on locks. In majority non-Black spaces, that is. It is telling that the introduction to locks for a lot of non-Black people, judging by this thread, is Metal and/or Rastafarian culture (which, if "oversimplifying" were a thread...); while for a lot of Black people, our introduction to locks are...as a hairstyle that, while yes holds some cultural significance, can't really be pegged on one "type" of Black person. They're just Black. A style that our hair is naturally suited for (and, in some cases, will do on its own with very little manipulation).

As for my personal opinion...eh, I think dreadlocks look best on people that have the kinky/coily hair textures to pull them off, but who am I to tell people what to do.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'd assume any culture back in the day who braided hair probably got dreads at one point just from living conditions.

"
Historians and anthropologists have found evidence of the 'do in ancient Egypt, Germanic tribes, Vikings, Pacific Islanders, early Christians, the Aborigines and the New Guineans as well as the Somali, the Galla, the Maasai, the Ashanti and the Fulani tribes of Africa.

As University of Richmond professor Bert Ashe writes in "Twisted: My Dreadlock Chronicles," the better question is, "Who hasn't worn dreadlocks at one time or another?"
"
www.cnn.com

Dear white people with dreadlocks: Some things to consider | CNN

Dreadlocks on white people: Cultural appropriation, fashion faux pas or both? A viral video prompts debate over race and power.
This isn't what I'm asking though, sorry if it wasn't clear. Evidence of the existence of dreads in history is not the same thing as a continued tradition with cultural relevance. To take a quote from that article:

"Cultural appropriation is about the power dynamic. When people with power and privilege decide to 'validate' customs and traditions that oppressed people have long been marginalized for by saying 'This is the hot new thing,' then we have serious problems. Or when they refuse to credit the people who innovated those styles or traditions, but claim them as original ideas, then we get into appropriation," she said.

I would say that if people only utilized a far distant history of the existence of dreads as a justification for why it should be culturally appropriate for them adopting a hairstyle only after it's been repopulized by black culture, then that is them excusing appropriation with privilege.

I'm trying to ask if there's an actual long standing tradition of dreads in these European cultures with a continuous trail, or if they just conveniently are claiming access to the culture because they can prove hundreds of years ago some people did have dreads. Because the latter would seem to be appropriation, while the former obviously would not.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
As a white person I don't have a perspective on whether it's okay to do that or not. I think a lot of why it is not okay to some people has to do with the double standard that is applied, where white people and black people can wear dreads, but it's less likely to catch someone shit for their hair for the white person.

Yup.

www.usatoday.com

Referee who made high school wrestler cut dreadlocks is suspended for two years

New Jersey referee Alan Maloney, now suspended, made HS wrestler Andrew Johnson cut his dreadlocks before he could participate in a 2018 match.

As its been said previously the problem with much of these arguments is beyond the whole cultural appropriation, simply put hairstyles associated with black people are seen 'low class' but when it assimilates is suddenly cool...with the black people still catching flack for wearing it, lol. If it was a case where the hairstyle was universally accepted no matter who you are, maybe we can debate the lines of cultural appropriation or even if it matters, Unfortunately thats not the case.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So the same way the fact that you don't think it looks good on them is not the point here, this isn't the point either, regarding if it's ok for them to wesr them.
It's an aside to my point. It's not THE point I'm making. But man, y'all sure seem mad that I'm leaning in to even what other white folks are saying about yourselves.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
No fucking way should that be allowed holy shit that kid handled it way better than most people would. She gets in his way going up the stairs , goes after him up the stairs when he tries going past her and then it's hard to tell but looks like she grabs his arm pulls him back down the stairs , then at the end looks at the camera and goes to grab the phone....

What the fuck , there's no way you can defend her right ? Like am I crazy

Haha no you aren't crazy, I'm only defending her desire to defend what she perceives as her culture. I could police her tone but we all know it's wrong.

The way she goes about it is crazy. And she assaulted that nice young dreddy lad. Maybe what you understood from my post is my desire to have open ears about appropriation as a white guy who is curious about my white fragility and privilege.

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
But when a person asks if it's okay to wear them if they're white, they're asking about modern social contexts. I would argue that, yes, dreadlocks are much more endemic to today's black culture than they are to today's white culture, and that the politics of black hair are thus relevant in this context, hence why you have a lot of black people that get fired up about it. At that point, it doesn't actually matter where dreadlocks originally came from (especially since no one can even pinpoint if "white cultures" even had them or not, which is its own rabbit hole), because again the question being asked is "is it offensive to black people?" (it is to many) or even "is it appropriating modern black culture" (yes, it is in many contexts). Saying "x culture wears/wore them" is basically a middle finger to black people within the scope of the discussion.

Surely that just means everyone gets to wear them. We don't know where they came from so no-one can claim them (even if we did they shouldn't). Just because more black people wear them now doesn't mean they should be exclusive to black people even if they 'look better'. It's bizarre to me for someone to be able to say one race or another should or shouldn't do something.

I don't like any choice or opinion(music, food, hairstyle, clothing, religion) being linked to something that isn't a choice like race or gender. It keeps people in unnecessary arbitrary boxes.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
My sister pulled off dreads pretty well and she's white, though I will say most white people I've seen rocking them didn't look particularly great.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking Adam Duritz was able to somehow get away with it, but then went back and looked at pictures, and no.
No he actually was not. He didn't get away with it at all, smh.

indivudual twists and braids are one thing, but the matlock look needs to find some orthodoxy or go back to the 4th century for instructions on how not to look bad.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Surely that just means everyone gets to wear them. We don't know where they came from so no-one can claim them (even if we did they shouldn't). Just because more black people wear them now doesn't mean they should be exclusive to black people even if they 'look better'. It's bizarre to me for someone to be able to say one race or another should or shouldn't do something.

I don't like any choice or opinion(music, food, hairstyle, clothing, religion) being linked to something that isn't a choice like race or gender. It keeps people in unnecessary arbitrary boxes.
Again, you can wear whatever you want. I ain't gon run up on you (just make fun of you in my head). But you don't really get the right to dictate how other people feel about you muscling in on something that is not only more common in their culture than yours, but is something that is inextricably tied to the social stigma those people continue to face on the daily for wearing the very thing you're playing around with.

That's what Era collectively fails to understand every time black hair comes up. Racial dynamics exist. Racial hierarchies exist. We live in a world of racial disparity, where double standards already exist in favor of white people. Sorry that you get made fun of or ostracized for experimenting around with a hairstyle that people whose hair better trends towards get stigmatized for. If you want the pushback to stop, help black people out in destigmatizing black hair and its subsequent styles in education and the workplace. That would be a nice start!

I think you are not sure what point to make so you are just being unnecessarily snarky instead
I've made my point a few times already. You're just mad at my snark (which isn't undeserved). Sorry to have hurt your feelings?

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Depends if you can pull the look off, I think. There was a guy in high school that did it, and he was basically "the guy with dreadlocks"

but I couldn't tell you anything about him other than being a nice guy and the dreadlocks being a big part of his personal identity. So, it's weird for me.