• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Im sorry but thats just wrong and feels like needless racial gatekeeping. Vikings wore them along time ago along with tons of other cultures. They didnt stop wearing them, they kept continousloy wearing them. Dreadlocks you might be able to make a case for, but dreads on their own are pretty universal
Vikings did stop wearing them because they're dead (assuming they did, we have people in here saying there isn't even any firsthand evidence that they did wear locs).

But okay, let's back up a little bit since people balked at the first post of my sentence. I'm not saying you can't do whatever the fuck you want with you hair, even if it looks silly. I'm not one for trying to physically police how people wanna express themselves. I'm not truly gatekeeping anything; if you wanna look like a fool and damage your baby fine-ass hair, go on ahead. But a lot of people up in here are acting like dreadlocks, in the year of our lord 2020, are not an extremely visible and somewhat intrinsic part of black (and I don't just mean black American) culture. People responded by saying "Bu-bu-bu My white metal friends wear them" and in general people are pointing to how the Vikings and other cultures wore them hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago.

Okay. So basically, unless you are part of a specific subculture like metal, or your are expressing a relatively niche historical culture, white people aren't usually wearing dreads. Meanwhile, dreads are just a normal part of black people's hairtstyling repertoire. We wear them in blue collar settings, and in white collar settings. We wear them when we're young, and when we're old. We wear them using our own hair, or we style them using wigs. We wear them for secular reasons, and we wear them for religious reasons. They are part of our modern language, our art, our music, and our representation, even when that representation is in the hands of non-black people (see my avatar). Black people wear dreads because it's now, today, a normal part of black culture to wear them.

If we're going to acknowledge that culture shifts with time, if we're going to acknowledge that things get appropriated all the time, if we're going to acknowledge that culture and identity is fluid and changes decade by decade, era by era, century by century, then you cannot balk at the argument that customs and practices that may have once been part of one culture, or may have just been culturally ambiguous because everyone was doing them, can in time become adopted by and moreso associated with a specific culture more than others. You also cannot argue that customs can become sociopolitically charged depending upon how they are tied up in larger conversations regarding how certain peoples are treated, hence the issue with black hair politics- the stories you hear of our dreadlocks just getting cut the fuck off by some racist who thinks they know better- and why black people get pissed about this shit.

So, when people- particularly white people- talk casually about dreadlocks in modern times, and they face grievances from black people who are living in modern times where dreadlocks have been far more of a custom for us than it is for them, despite the fact that wearing them comes with racial animus, saying "well, the Vikings wore them" and "But metalheads" or "It's just a hairstyle; who cares?" is fucking irrelevant, misses the point, and is dismissive.

The way this situation is treated on the forum when black people get upset is appalling, which is partly hilarious because- again- 99% of non-black people wearing them look absolutely fucking foolish even trying.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her head, her hair, her decision. Just put in the effort to make it look good and the rest is nobody else's concern.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I once argued against my friend for getting dreads (long time ago 10 years atleast), because I felt that dreads are heavily linked to cultures he isn't part of. But I have no problem with it really, I've softened my stance since. Where I live atleast, if white person has dreads they are often a hippie. So left and green, hence good people. Anecdotal and regional mostly, but I've met and know quite a few. And sure, not all of them definitely look that good. But so what, all that matters if the person is comfortable with their hair. Doesn't matter if it looks good to me or not, I doubt they did it trying to impress me.
Don't see many white people with dreads, to be honest, is it a trend at the minute?
Go to a music festival like this, you will be overwhelmed by white people with dreads.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I once argued against my friend for getting dreads (long time ago 10 years atleast), because I felt that dreads are heavily linked to cultures he isn't part of. But I have no problem with it really, I've softened my stance since. Where I live atleast, if white person has dreads they are often a hippie. So left and green, hence good people. Anecdotal mostly, but I've met and know quite a few. And sure, not all of them definitely look that good.
Go to a music festival like this, you will be overwhelmed by white people with dreads.

Damn, everyone has dreads on that video lol

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Vikings did stop wearing them because they're dead (assuming they did, we have people in here saying there isn't even any firsthand evidence that they did wear locs).
I think you're destroying your otherwise valid arguments by pretending that germanic / celtic / norse culture doesn't exist in northern europe anymore.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care enough to bring it up but I immediately think they have bad taste unless proven otherwise.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly viking dreads were a thing and I don't know how much whiter you can be than that

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're destroying your otherwise valid arguments by pretending that germanic / celtic / norse culture doesn't exist in northern europe anymore.
I didn't say Germanic/Celtic/Norse culture doesn't exist anymore. I said Vikings don't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Max-Cavalera.jpg

Yeah.

I don't see dreads as cultural appropriation or anything. It's just that it very often look like shit on white people.

Thats Max Cavalera and he's Brazilian. He's Latino.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I am black and I can't grow dreads so it is by my royal decree that white people should be banned from having them.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Its perfectly fine... morally. Aesthetically? Well...

It's funny, real rastas have much more of a problem with black people rocking "fashion dreds" than they do with people of other races who are genuinely down with the culture.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I don't know if it's culturally appropriation, but I think one of the issues black folks take with white dreads is that there's a double standard at play. Black people with dreads are often told they have unprofessional hair style, whereas that's not really a criticism white people with dreads get(they're often told it looks bad, but they don't lose out on a job or face other systemic judgement as a result of wearing dreads). Taken in this context, black folks are stigmatized for engaging in their culture, while white folks are relatively given a pass.

Also lol at asking this question on a majority white forum. Of course most people are just gonna ok it.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is a fellow on my early bus route who has white guy dreads and he smells something awful.

Is that a common thing?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I picked "no," partially because I'd consider it cultural appropriation, but mostly because the hairstyle looks hideous on white people.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, they're okay. I think they look more-or-less awful regardless of the race of the person wearing them, but I see no reason to exclude them from any particular group of people.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm not one to be handing out dread approval cards but they look terrible on white people 99.99999% of the time I've seen it. Looks like each dreadlock is held in place by pure filth.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I didn't say Germanic/Celtic/Norse culture doesn't exist anymore. I said Vikings don't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Depends on who you ask. Some define vikings as a tribe of seafaring people from a certain period of medieval Europe. Others define vikings as those from northern Europe that continue viking traditions. For example, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (The Mountain from Game of Thrones) is a direct descendent of medieval vikings and continues to practice in traditional viking competitions of strength such as breaking the 1000 year old Icelandic record of carrying a 1433lb tree for five steps.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020

But okay, let's back up a little bit since people balked at the first post of my sentence. I'm not saying you can't do whatever the fuck you want with you hair, even if it looks silly. I'm not one for trying to physically police how people wanna express themselves. I'm not truly gatekeeping anything; if you wanna look like a fool and damage your baby fine-ass hair, go on ahead. But a lot of people up in here are acting like dreadlocks, in the year of our lord 2020, are not an extremely visible and somewhat intrinsic part of black (and I don't just mean black American) culture. People responded by saying "Bu-bu-bu My white metal friends wear them" and in general people are pointing to how the Vikings and other cultures wore them hundreds, sometimes thousands of years ago.

Okay. So basically, unless you are part of a specific subculture like metal, or your are expressing a relatively niche historical culture, white people aren't usually wearing dreads. Meanwhile, dreads are just a normal part of black people's hairtstyling repertoire. We wear them in blue collar settings, and in white collar settings. We wear them when we're young, and when we're old. We wear them using our own hair, or we style them using wigs. We wear them for secular reasons, and we wear them for religious reasons. They are part of our modern language, our art, our music, and our representation, even when that representation is in the hands of non-black people (see my avatar). Black people wear dreads because it's now, today, a normal part of black culture to wear them.

If we're going to acknowledge that culture shifts with time, if we're going to acknowledge that things get appropriated all the time, if we're going to acknowledge that culture and identity is fluid and changes decade by decade, era by era, century by century, then you cannot balk at the argument that customs and practices that may have once been part of one culture, or may have just been culturally ambiguous because everyone was doing them, can in time become adopted by and moreso associated with a specific culture more than others. You also cannot argue that customs can become sociopolitically charged depending upon how they are tied up in larger conversations regarding how certain peoples are treated, hence the issue with black hair politics- the stories you hear of our dreadlocks just getting cut the fuck off by some racist who thinks they know better- and why black people get pissed about this shit.

So, when people- particularly white people- talk casually about dreadlocks in modern times, and they face grievances from black people who are living in modern times where dreadlocks have been far more of a custom for us than it is for them, despite the fact that wearing them comes with racial animus, saying "well, the Vikings wore them" and "But metalheads" or "It's just a hairstyle; who cares?" is fucking irrelevant, misses the point, and is dismissive.

The way this situation is treated on the forum when black people get upset is appalling, which is partly hilarious because- again- 99% of non-black people wearing them look absolutely fucking foolish even trying.
Not trying to argue some of your points but why do you keep bringing up the 99% of them will look bad with them as if that is an amazing argument? There are hairstyles and clothes where i think look bad on 100% of people, i dont have to like your hairstyle and clothes, you do.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
. . .

Vikings weren't a tribe or a culture. Norse was the culture. Vikings were seafarers and pirates. Viking was an occupation. Like farming. Or artisanship.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think locs look inherently "bad" on non-black peoples nor do I think it's offensive unless you're going out of your way to make it so I guess. Even then most white people I see have a badass viking look, not some weird cartoonish Marley cosplay.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Culturally, don't white people have vikings and such that had dreads?

Aesthetically? The texture doesn't look as good as kinky hair.

I would advise against a person with straight hair getting them, but I dont side eye straight hair dreads.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's an issue, but in terms of looks, it depends. Some just look awful with dreads.

This shit happened at my school lmao - Its been a while since I seen this. Thread just reminded me of it.

For background - the guy was being harassed because of his hair. She was saying that it was cultural appropriation and that he had no business wearing like that.

This guy feels like a tool, but I'm uncomfortable with the "Why are you filming this?" question. That's the question you ask when you realize you now can't just make up your own version of what happened after the fact.

On Topic: Anyway, I don't really care about white folk with dreads, but hair isn't really my thing. I've worn a basic fade my entire life and it's all I care to wear. What I DO think is white people need to stop asking this if they aren't also going to start pushing to allow black folks to wear our hair how we want without being harassed.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can't seperate Vikings from those cultures or treat them as a stand-alone tribe. You had basically the Germanic and/or Norse tribes (Celtics are also somewhat related) and people from those tribes who undertook raids were valled Vikingr. Going viking (the activity) was basically a job within those tribes like farmers.

So if you insist that people (in this case) in Northern Europe are appropriating another culture when they wear Dreads or Elflocks because there are no literal Vikings around anymore while the cultures still exist then this makes you kinda sound ignorant on your own and invalidates a lot of your otherwise valid post.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
A teen we knew some years ago (he was from country Georgia) turned his hair into braids to look cool. We did not mind but when his Greek stepfather found out, he became furious and said unimaginable things to him , questioning his manliness and kicked him out of the house. Guy had issues anyway so we did not take him seriously but we felt sorry for the kid.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I have noticed you don't see many white women with dreads anymore, used to see them almost daily in the early 2000s.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
If I'm going to let a black person straighten their hair then I'm going to let a white person have dreads. The whole point is that anyone should be allowed to express themselves however they want.

You can't be both inclusive and exclusive. I mean, you can have your opinion about style/fashion (or the general look of a person) but you can't dictate what is "okay" without being an authoritarian asshole.

Freedom of expression is important for everyone. The idea that someone can be in your face about it to an inappropriate degree is a different story, but that's why we also have a social system where people aren't free from the consequences of their actions.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
If I'm going to let a black person straighten their hair then I'm going to let a white person have dreads. The whole point is that anyone should be allowed to express themselves however they want.

You can't be both inclusive and exclusive. I mean, you can have your opinion about style/fashion (or the general look of a person) but you can't dictate what is "okay" without being an authoritarian asshole.

Freedom of expression is important for everyone.
this is a very bad take

Oct 29, 2017
Dreads are not something exclusive to a specific culture so idk why some black people feel so offended by white people wearing them. Its fine for white people to have dreads, how it looks on them though is the the real question lol.
I'm black. I don't care if White people get dreadlocks. But I can see why there would be an issue as dreadlocks are associated with the Rastafarian religion. Their issues are valid.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on who you ask. Some define vikings as a tribe of seafaring people from a certain period of medieval Europe. Others define vikings as those from northern Europe that continue viking traditions. For example, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson (The Mountain from Game of Thrones) is a direct descendent of medieval vikings and continues to practice in traditional viking competitions of strength such as breaking the 1000 year old Icelandic record of carrying a 1433lb tree for five steps.
This is legitimately fascinating. Are there specific groups and villages who continue living a wholesale viking lifestyle in modern times? Not just the partaking in competitions and the like, but like day-to-day living?

Not trying to argue some of your points but why do you keep bringing up the 99% of them will look bad with them as if that is an amazing argument? There are hairstyles and clothes where i think look bad on 100% of people, i dont have to like your hairstyle and clothes, you do.
Because it's a truism that is in addition to my points. White people, on average, don't look good in them, don't really wear them except in very specific cultural or niche circumstances, but man y'all sure do have opinions about black people who feel some type of way about y'all wearing them. The prior post about even having this discussion on Era rings true.