• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
if you are white just like don't. like i probably have higher tolerance for hippie shit, probably higher than 99% of people here, I'm all for that spiritual mumbo jumbo, but goddamnit you just look like a goddamn fucking tool if you are white and have dreadlocks

also the results on this poll are pretty telling just how lame this place is, being all fauxwoke only when it wants to

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
tenor.gif

If it's this woman, then it's a hell yeah.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I personally think it's wrong to tell people what to do with their own bodies. That includes hair. If someone is being tone deaf or racist, call them out on that. But don't tell them what they can or can't wear.

Whether it looks decent is another matter. Very few white people pull off dreads.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Dreads have been a part of cultures of all skin colors. I still think they look terrible on most white people lol.

As for cultural appropriation, yeah, that happens sometimes. I've come across a few white people in my days that have identified as Rastafarian just because they liked Bob Marley and pot.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I personally think it's wrong to tell people what to do with their own bodies. That includes hair. If someone is being tone deaf or racist, call them out on that. But don't tell them what they can or can't wear.

Whether it looks decent is another matter. Very few white people pull off dreads.
This is exactly where I'm at.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Seen dreads on Garrett from mega64 so long that I don't even really think about it much. I think it looks ok on him.(surprisingly difficult to find a good pic on Google)

f0c4d4bf4c53d2a20f61a621f382fdcc_w200.gif

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is there actually any credible evidence the Vikings had dreadlocks anyway
There is no proof that they did, however, it is not out of the question.
Looking around European history of that time provides several good examples of dreadlocked hairstyles.

1. Indo-Aryans (ancestors of Iranians, Aryan castes of India, Slavs, and Germans among others) depicted their gods, and their kings with dreadlike locks on both hair and beards.
  2. Celts often greased their hair into (according to Roman sources) greased and chalked locks that "looked like snakes".
  3. Scythians, who invaded Europe during Migration Period DID wore single dreads, usually behind right ear. It is well documented in sculptures.
  4. Zaporozhian Cossacks (who, to some degree descend from Varangian/Viking Rus, and Scythians) used to wear "oseledec" a single lock above forehead, either in a form of a greased up knot, or straight up dreadlock.
  5. The strongest example of all (as well as the most well documented hairstyle in scientific literature) is the "Polish plait" an amulet-dreadlock, in different shapes and forms. It was a part of Slavic pagan magic, transfered into Polish folk beliefs and hairstyles, and survived up to XIX century. Ii was also represented in other European cultures: "Hexenzopf"-"witch-lock" among Germans, "elflock" on British Isles.
TLDR: There is a strong case to defend the idea, that some Vikings, especially those from Jomsborg, Truso, Volgian Rus, or Volin, or anywhere near Slavs, would wear "lucky charm" dreadlocks, borrowing this fashion from Slavs/Poles, especially since many Vikings were descendants of Slavic "seawives"-captured women. Since the plait was associated with witchcraft, protection and female mysticism in Slavic culture, it is not a stretch that a Viking could have had a plait made by his Slavic mom or wife. Full head of dreads might be harder to defend historically, but cannot be dismissed either.

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It's ok, it just looks bad most of the time. But I had a friend in high school who really owned that look, he looked great with dreads.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Germanic tribes and Vikings were known to have dreadlocks. So I'd argue it's not even appropriation of a minority culture
I'd say dreads in and of themselves are not, but it often has been with the individual white people that wear them. Maybe that has changed more now with the more historical Viking stuff being bigger in popular culture than it had been.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm going to preface this by saying that I am mostly white and also just don't give a shit what other people do with their bodies for the most part, but I say that I see no real problems with white people having dreads

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes? I would assume she thinks it looks cool, and that's really as deep as it goes with most people and fashion.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
So again a US thing that needs to be forced on to other countries, that have nothing to do with the context that people in the US have (or other countries that have the same context or similiar)? Good luck with that in Central or Eastern Europe .. this is a different thing then the n-word

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So again a US thing that needs to be forced on to other countries, that have nothing to do with the context that people in the US have (or other countries that have the same context or similiar)? Good luck with that in Central or Eastern Europe .. this is a different thing then the n-word
this bullshit again lol

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Dreads just flatout look goofy on white people no matter what...cultural appropriation or not.

Look at this silly looking mutha fucka
7d1a20fdead88b4c44073d58708ab811.jpg

Now look at this brutha here
2b74b589e10f166d2c19c71249578930.jpg

Ain't no comparison

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
If it looks aces. Fuck yeah.
tenor.gif

If it looks like that photo of the Grinch's hands. No.

Dec 4, 2017
Dreadlocks only work on white folks if they have naturally wiry hair. Think young (early-90s) Jeremy Clarkson. They don't work with completely flat hair.
Dreadlocks are a way of getting some shape into hair that is naturally predisposed to growing every which way. If your hair is already growing straight, there's no point (and in fact it might be detrimental to your hair's health).

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
Yes. It's a haircut.

You can have any hairstyle you want and wear any clothes you want unless they display explicit hate symbols. Anyone who says different is just not worth listening to.

Last edited:

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Most white people don't have the hair for it so they end up fucking up their hair and scalp for the dread effect. Now it's just dirty gross hair.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They can do what they want. Not any of my business of what they do with their own goddamn body.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
A quick google search seems to suggest that it's a great hairstyle to have if you like to have half the population think you're culturally inappropriate.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I actually knew a Belgian guy from my university and another white British guy who had afro (it was natural). And I've always wondered since, is it appropriate for them to do dread considering it's suitable for afro hair?

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I'd say in some countries (specially in the US) dreads are definitely appropriative, but we shouldn't generalize this as a worldwide imperative since other countries might have different traditions and dynamics with this hairstyle.

OP
OP
Wren Wolfe

Wren Wolfe

Nov 10, 2017
I appreciate seeing everyone's opinions on the topic. A lot of you are saying it looks like shit on white people or people who have fine/fair hair. I agree that it can look bad, but this case with my sister, she has very dark, thick, wavy hair, so it's definitely not the same as someone with fine, straight, blonde hair. Obviously four days is just the beginning of forming dreads, but she's using the neglect/freeform method, and the locks are already visibly forming.

Also, for those of you saying that dreads on white people are dirty/moldy/whatever, that's so wrong lol. You still wash your hair with dreads, just maybe not as often as others.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Dreads just flatout look goofy on white people no matter what...cultural appropriation or not.

Look at this silly looking mutha fucka
7d1a20fdead88b4c44073d58708ab811.jpg

Now look at this brutha here
2b74b589e10f166d2c19c71249578930.jpg

Ain't no comparison
Not seeing the problem with that first picture. There are so, SO many instances out there you could have pulled from of dreads looking terrible on white people. But you managed to find one here that actually came out looking totally fine...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, because they can't pull it off and because "actually Vikings" isn't really why they do it.