• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it okay for white people to have dreads?

• Yes

Votes: 1,383 67.3%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 368 17.9%
  • It depends on the person

Votes: 304 14.8%

• Total voters

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Reminds me of the "space buns in Animal Crossing" thread, from a few weeks ago.
This is a good read by platocplx
www.resetera.com

"cute space buns :3" or, should white AC:NH players be able to use the new hairstyles?

Sorry the movie is called good hair. And most of this stuff is more about people just wearing other hair styles as a costume and not respectful of them, and there are deep ass issues when it comes to black hair and that’s why people should be more sensitive when we have shit like this happening...

It's not so much about if it's racist or not, it's about understanding why it might seem disrespectful towards people of color.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
What about the Beaver Tail?

3AxTk-resize.jpg.webp
That looks like a carpet that's been abused.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm mixed black/white and I legitimately do not give a shit. I'll be honest though, I have never seen good dreads on a white person

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea it was never even a hint controversial in my area growing up. Beach town, back in the 90's used to see white guys and gals with dreads all the time. Asians and latinos too, though they were more rare.

These days, not so much.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
If said white person is actually mixed race with Afro/Caribbean genetics? Sure, they have every right to express that part of their ethnicity.

Pure whites? Nah, that's cultural appropriation. Dreads are more than just a hairstyle to black people. For a lot of them, it's part of their black identity.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If said white person is actually mixed race with Afro/Caribbean genetics? Sure, they have every right to express that part of their ethnicity.

Pure whites? Nah, that's cultural appropriation. Dreads are more than just a hairstyle to black people. For a lot of them, it's part of their black identity.

Dreadlocks are worn by more than just black people.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Ok in theory. But rarely do the locks actually lock up properly on white people. Ends up just looking disheveled.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yes they are, your husband's wrong. People need to stop trying so hard, it's a hairstyle that has existed in various cultures for thousands of years. It's fine.

If your sister wants to go for it then she should go for it. It's a hard pull though.

duxstar

Oct 26, 2017
it's a hair style. I say go for it.

I'm white though, so maybe I'm being naive or ignorant.

Cultural appropriation seems more problematic in the entertainment industry as opposed to everyday walking around.

SOOO what's going on in that video with the college students? I guess that girl has a point and needs to be listened to, and that guy is kinda being weird and putting his hands in her face, but she shouldn't be grabbing him and shit.

No fucking way should that be allowed holy shit that kid handled it way better than most people would. She gets in his way going up the stairs , goes after him up the stairs when he tries going past her and then it's hard to tell but looks like she grabs his arm pulls him back down the stairs , then at the end looks at the camera and goes to grab the phone....

What the fuck , there's no way you can defend her right ? Like am I crazy

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have dreads for about six years. I can see how it can be seen as cultural appropriation, but I got them when I saw a white girl at camp/on vacation with gorgeous dreads and I was going through some sort of alternative phase. It just fit my social circle. Basically the weed smoking type. It was part of that sub-culture, but I have no clue where that sub-culture got dreadlocks from.

Later on I always liked how black people with dreads looked, but I never wanted to steal their culture. And one christmas I got a book on dreads, and there where soooo many different cultures in there. So I never felt I got it specifically from one specific culture.

As for how they looked, I really disliked untidy and unkempt dreads on other people, and always tried to take care of mine as well as possible. I wouldn't go for the hairstyle again, but I thought they looked great. And they were awesome for headbanging.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
White people living today don't wear dreads because of the fucking Vikings. They wear them because they see how good they look on black people, while simultaneously upholding a society that shames and harms black people for how our hair grows and what maintenance is required for our hair, including those same deadlocked styles that were stereotyped onto black people by ignorant whites in the first place. So yeah, there is cultural appropriation at play, there are double standards at play, and no I don't have much to say to white folks wearing dreads.

They look shit on 99% of y'all anyway.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
220px-271px-BionicNathan.png

It was the only thing people couldn't shut up about when talking about the fantastic but flawed Bionic Commando reboot.

And look what happened there!

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
If you're interested in more, Google Image search of "beaver tail haircut"

I'm not sure if people do this on purpose or it just happens and they're like "fuck it, it's funny"
That sort of hairstyle looks very similar to one I read about a while ago.

Except it wasn't really a style. It was just the result of depression and not washing your hair. It was an insanely long grease trap that looked more like dried up dirt.

I wish I could remember the damn name.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Dreds have been worn by almost every culture over the years. People that claim it's appropriation just don't know history.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think I need a nap. I read the title as "Are dead white people okay?" and my eyeballs about popped out of my head when I saw the poll results.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Its really hard for white people to pull of dreadlocks, and the only ones that I have seen that could, only really pull it off because they are so fucking hot that they would look good in a potato sack.

Plus even then, you have to lean so hard into that aesthetic, you can't just have casual dreads as a white person, you have to be a cyber viking or some shit.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Saying other cultures have had dreadlocks is fine, but it feels disingenuous just like that college kid saying Egyptians did it. "Well are you Egyptian?" "Well no..."

As a white person I don't care or have an opinion besides how it looks, but it feels like misdirection to say it isn't cultural appropriation because vikings did it 800 years ago or something. I'm no arbiter of truth on this though so I'll leave well enough alone, but that's how I feel at least.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
A little anecdote my friends when we get were kids told someone in our grade that dreadlocks were literal padlocks you put in your hair. He believed it for about 3 years!

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually any credible evidence the Vikings had dreadlocks anyway