• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about clowns?

• I like them, at least I did when I was a kid

Votes: 65 14.9%
  • No strong feelings one way or the other

Votes: 205 47.1%
  • They're creepy and I hate them

Votes: 165 37.9%

• Total voters

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Clowns in recent media are frequently portrayed as creepy villains, despite the fact that their roots are in entertaining young children. Is fear of clowns really that widespread or is it just some overblown Internet thing? Did people have a problem with clowns in the 50s when Bozo was popular? Did Pennywise from IT cause a generational shift in the worldview of clowns?

I personally don't find anything unsettling about your standard clown. Sure, a clown can be creepy if you play creepy music in the background, but that can apply to almost anything.

So Era, are you down with the clown?

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No, coulrophobia was really a thing after "IT" (the 1990 TV miniseries) came out.

Fuck them though

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Clowns are a lot more than white-painted, fuzzy haired It types.

A good clown is a work of art, and has a fascinating role in cultural history. So I like them.

But not the It types.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Just like the circus, is something that made sense 1000 years ago but it's woefully out of time. And not needed. Also creepy.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Clowns are alright I guess. I'm pretty indifferent.

PartialSparklingIbisbill-size_restricted.gif

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I was whatever about clowns growing up. Didn't find them scary or funny or anything. I have met someone who was terrified of clowns though. Even humming a few notes of Entry of the Gladiators made her cry.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
No, coulrophobia was really a thing after "IT" (the 1990 TV miniseries) came out.

Fuck them though

John Wayne Gacy, Poltergeist, and IT pretty much created the modern fear of clowns. There was nothing like that of note in psychiatry before then. People thought clowns were dumb or unfunny or annoying before that, but being afraid of clowns is a fairly recent phenomenon driven by media and one real life serial killer.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: Clowns are awesome.

Better answer: Someone post a gif of Psycho Clown from this year's Triplemania with a flame thrower guitar.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust any clown that wasn't the Bozo from my youth.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was scared of clowns when I was younger. Really clowns are simply not funny, dont have any redeeming factors, they are a art form that I never cared for besides using them for horror.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Didn't really feel one way or the other about them as a kid, but I like them well enough now. Particularly those who are clearly dedicated to their act.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I once got into a fight with a clown when I was 16.

Not a physical fight, but like a war of underhanded tactics.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I think it's a bit tired and cliched to do the whole "I'm scared of clowns" thing. It's almost fashionable, or sometimes people say it to sound interesting. Nobody ever mentions that they are just shit. Oh, a car where the door falls off. Whoop-di-doo. A bucket? Sure hope that's not full of....oh it was paper my sides are splitting.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
John Wayne Gacy, Poltergeist, and IT pretty much created the modern fear of clowns. There was nothing like that of note in psychiatry before then. People thought clowns were dumb or unfunny or annoying before that, but being afraid of clowns is a fairly recent phenomenon driven by media and one real life serial killer.
Well, you can argue that the creepy/evil clown archetype stretches as far back as Pagliacci, but its true that the whole cementing of the idea of a fear of clowns being a psychological thing is a fairly recent invention, which, as far as I'm aware, is still not an officially recognized condition in the psychiatric community. Really I think the longstanding negative feelings towards clowns comes down mainly to both the unnerving juxtaposition of the innocent with the sinister, along with the fact that clown paint can be legitimately unsettling to something in our lizard brains. I mean, look at Gwynplaine from The Man Who Laughs or Cesare from The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. They are only a few steps away from clown greasepaint and yet they are both creepy as fuck.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
My oldest and worst nightmare was being abducted by clowns, when I was 3. They had me tied to a chair and threatened to slit my throat if my parents didn't pay the ransom. I was so afraid and hoped my parents or cops would show up to rescue me.
I have no fucking clue how I could dream all that fucked up shit as a toddler.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I sort of liked them as a kid but I don't really care either way tbh. They're fine I guess.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I always thought they were really stupid.

They're basically court jesters. Dumb, super outdated humor. Look at me making funny faces and acting like a fool. Does anyone even find them funny or amusing? That's why they exist, supposedly.

Modern day "clowns" are comedy actors and do their job about a thousand times better.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The theory I've heard for "scary clowns" is that clown makeup is meant to be seen from a distance - in a circus, or on a stage. It's intentionally exaggerated and meant to communicate things from afar. Certain types of clowns have different "eye" shapes around their eyes, "mouth" shapes around their mouths, and so on - so that they can be read from a distance. Even if you're in the back row, you'll be able to tell that the sad clown is sad, you know?

The fact that clowns started showing up on television in the middle of the 20th century laid the groundwork for unsettling clowns - up close, they're uncanny. Eyes within eyes, mouths within mouths, extremely expressive.

I like clowns though. In proper context.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Saw an acrobatic clown when I was a kid. He did some real impressive stuff in his different practical jokes. Using ladders, buckets and stuff

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Clowns peaked with kids with Ronald McDonald. In the early 80s he seemed like a cool guy to me as a kid in elementary school.

It has now been decades since any kid has wanted a clown at their birthday party.

Their time has passed.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I never ever laughed about a clown show... the comedy of clowns is weird, it's situational fall-on your face comedy that I don't really get. I've been impressed with clowns doing both, situational comedy and a physical performance, I still don't laugh.

I don't think my view was different when I was very young and for that reason I am perplexed about stuff like hospital clowns cheering up people. I can only assume there they simply work because a hospital is a depressingly mind numbing and sterile place so every distraction is welcome?!

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Clowns seem hated enough that I've now circled around to feeling overwhelming pity when I see a clown. They just want people to be happy, but they've done the opposite. It's tragic and I feel like my heart won't be whole again until the youth of the world come back around the clowns.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I actually really enjoy clowns, but only at like places where seeing them makes sense. Circus? Great. Birthday party for kids? Sure. Wrestlemania weeekene at the bar? I mean, okay Doink. Tennis tournament? Okay I'm unsettled.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
My country is small, and there were two groups of very well famous clowns that appeared even on Television and had their own shows, they were very well known from anyone who lived in the 90s here.

I remember having the two groups of these famous clown for my birthday when I was a kid, so I grown up being very fond of clowns.

Right now, I do not think clowns have the same popularity than in the 80s, 90s.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I don't have a fear of them but every time I see a clown I wonder who thought an adult male with creepy face paint was a good idea for children.