• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
As I understand it, besides accidentally biting your cheek or tongue, a common trigger for canker sores is a pH imbalance in the mouth. Since I started swishing a solution of warm water, baking soda, and salt in my mouth every evening as a rinse after brushing, I haven't experienced a single outbreak. YMMV

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Sorry, my dad just had a stroke the other day after they cut off his leg last month and has been in near constant pain, I have a chronic pain disorder myself so I guess I just am not in the right headspace to find the utility or humor in extreme hyperbole ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In that case, I'm sorry, I didn't intend to come across as dismissing your experiences or that of others when I made the thread

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I experienced them for the first time when I had a tooth extracted. In addition to having a aching hole where my tooth used to be...now it has 3 small sores in the vicinity which felt like the inside lining of my mouth flesh was being forcefully gouged out if I talked wrong. Best weight loss program I ever was on.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Hoping I don't get them since I switch to Sensodyne.

Does anyone ever get small bumps on the inside of your mouth that easily pop/scrape off? Don't hurt at all, just strange.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I once he a canker sore on my uvula. It lasted for nearly three weeks. I've been hit by a car. I've fallen onto my head from eight feet high. I've woken up during an endoscopy. Still: that canker sore is the most miserable thing I've gone through. It is at least a top 2 worst experience of my life.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
They suck, had them for a while when I first got braces because the metal bits kept digging into my mouth and I thought I didn't need to use the wax.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting the best canker sore medication i've ever encountered

Debacterol (Rx)

0LEtw68.jpg

It takes care of canker sores in seconds. There may be a tiny bit of pain when you apply it, but that takes mere seconds and then the pain vanishes.
The tissue then heals over the next few days.

http://www.debacterol.com/prod_desc.html

My mom used to get samples of this at her office (she's a dental hygienist), and it was a godsend

It looks like Debacterol is now offered online here:

http://www.focusedrx.com/

This video isn't exaggerating; the application takes 5 seconds and assuming you do it properly and don't miss part of the sore, you won't have pain anymore from eating/etc while you wait for it to fully heal.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I once he a canker sore on my uvula. It lasted for nearly three weeks. I've been hit by a car. I've fallen onto my head from eight feet high. I've woken up during an endoscopy. Still: that canker sore is the most miserable thing I've gone through. It is at least a top 2 worst experience of my life.

I had an infected uvula once and that was pretty miserable. Worse, it happened right in the middle of my trip to Napa Valley where all I was doing was eating/drinking. Still had a good time but it definitely soured the trip a bit.

I got cankers constantly when I was younger, don't know why. Told it ran in the family. It sucked really bad. I rarely get them now though, don't know if I grew out of them or not but I'm thankful for that. Think its been a couple years.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I got this for the first time a few months ago. Multiple sores on the back of my throat, including two on my uvula. I agree it's the most miserable pain I've ever experienced. Eating or drinking literally anything hurt like hell.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I got this for the first time a few months ago. Multiple sores on the back of my throat, including two on my uvula. I agree it's the most miserable pain I've ever experienced. Eating or drinking literally anything hurt like hell.
Yep. Just breathing was painful. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't eat. Just constant pain. It's amazing how something so small can affect a person.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wow some people have had them really horrible places here. I only ever get them right in the front of my mouth behind my lips, maybe asmsll percent just inside my cheeks. Never on my tongue or I my throat, dang.

Forgrim

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
as a chronic sufferer since I was young of canker sores, man, i feel for everyone in this thread.

I can't even tell you how many times I just don't want to do anything because of a particularly nasty sore. Switching to SLS-free toothpaste definetly helped it to about one outbreak every 2-4 months when I used to get one a month.

In my youth, I was a competitive boxer and i'd rather get punched in the face multiple times than deal with a canker sore.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
they are a scourge. The only thing I have figured out that works is Listerine. When I bite my lip, I'm on a 3 day Listerine binge to stop one from forming.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had cancer, but canker sores do SUCK. I always get it in the same spot under my bottom lip.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I've had one for the past 3 days and my good, it's driving me insane with how much it is pestering me. I'm always licking it to numb the pain and the stinging is almost unbearable, these things just 100% suck

My first week of college I got one exactly on the tip of my tongue. That's just unfair.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting the best canker sore medication i've ever encountered

Came to post this.

Sorry to all the mouth wash and home remedy people in this thread, but you're not going to beat chemically burning them off in five seconds. Stings a little, but then you can go back to living your life immediately.

Go to a dentist and get a prescription.

Nov 14, 2017
Canker sores are pretty bad, but oral thrush can be even worse. I had such a bad infection once that my entire mouth felt like one large open sore. My lips were also so swollen that I couldn't close them.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I used to get these really bad when I was younger to the point you could see a slight bump on the bottom lip when talking but thank god they went away. My dental hygienist had me switch to a toothpaste that doesn't have a particular chemical found in many other toothpastes that can contribute to canker sore growth. Sensodyne is the brand you should look for, the non-whitening variety.

Also there's various creams you can apply, and a water pick with warm water while initially painful does help clean the general area and provides relief. I think you can also mix salt and warm water for a general mouth wash to cleanse the area. Canker sores are a major pain in the ass, hope yours eventually go away too OP.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I've had one for the past 3 days and my good, it's driving me insane with how much it is pestering me. I'm always licking it to numb the pain and the stinging is almost unbearable, these things just 100% suck
One?

Three years ago I had 6 of them at the same time. They looked like impact craters on the moon and were distributed throughout my mouth, tongue and lips such that no matter how I breathed, talked, drank water, ate or slept at least one but more often several of them would constantly hurt like hell. Every single morning my lips would be welded shut with pus and I had to pry them open and rip up even more of my poor lips. Ever had a canker sore on the tip of your tongue? In my experience it's by far the most painful position, and I've had them in pretty much every place. To make matters even worse, when you have canker sores they tend to radiate such that all your teeth and your throat also starts hurting like hell. So you get a phantom toothache like you'd have to root canal your entire mouth. It's the worst pain I've ever been in. "Best" part: these fuckers stay around forever. For me it usually takes 14 days for them to heal out, so once it starts hurting on the second or third day, you know you are in for a long fun time.

Tip: if you ever get a massive outbreak like I did, the only food that is edible without excruciating pain - and even soothing to some degree - is ice-cream. I had half a liter for lunch, and another for dinner for the entire duration. I was able to try out the entire local selection of bucketed ice-cream.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
Strange timing. I hadn't had one in years and I have 2 now. So annoying. I had a feeling it was associated with nail biting because I finally kicked that habit a couple of years ago and the timing lined up

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Yeah, back when I had braces I almost always had one or more due to just having them cut up my mouth.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
No joke. make some chamomile tea and swish it . You can leave it out and use it up over the day/days. It really helps.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I got them constantly when I was a kid, but the frequency with which they developed dropped off precipitously in my early 20s. In my early 40s now and I get them pretty rarely.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Change your tooth paste everyone. Get one without sodium lauryl sulfate. SLS free. It helped me and I haven't had one since I switched.

There is a link between sls and canker sore's.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know any alternatives to Debacterol I can buy in Germany? Doesnt seem to be available here. I get by on mouthwash mostly. Also use toothpaste without SLS but still get them every few weeks.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Mouth ulcers are awful.

I'm recovering from one I had at the end of my tongue after accidentally biting it...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still get this frequently and have for nearly 10 years now.

It drives me insane that there's "no known definitive cause, and no known definitive cure".

Got one on the very tip of my tongue right now. Ugh.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adding to the other posters- if you get canker sores use SLS-free toothpaste. I used to get them about every other month but since I switched toothpastes years ago I never get them. I use the Trader Joe's brand- cheap, SLS-free, and has fluoride.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I had some GIRD issues and they flaired up bad for me, one was even in the back of my throat, it was hell.
I've been swishing my mouth with Milk of Magnesia to help before and it worked, just don't ingest too much of it or you'll be on the shitter all day
Holy shit. Is there a link between gerd and canker sores?! That explains everything. I have bad gerd and frequently get the sores in the back of my throat (even on my uvula sometimes and it swells up). Been trying to figure out what was causing them. I thought maybe i had a gluten allergy.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. Is there a link between gerd and canker sores?! That explains everything. I have bad gerd and frequently get the sores in the back of my throat (rven on my uvula sometimes and it swells up). Been trying to figure out what was causing them. I thought maybe i had a glutrn allergy.
My GI doc said there is as your mouth can get very acidic as stuff from your stomach is kind of coming up into it. Might want to ask your doc though