• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I tried googling this, but the results were weird, and I think most of us assume both will be.

1. Blu Ray Games
  2. Blu Ray movies
  3. Digital
  4. BC (PS4, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One disc or digital games)
  5. Accessories (like the SSD)
It might be good to know if importing is an option. The only thing to worry about would be the power supply?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean... with the Switch's release, wouldn't that be the final real death knell for region-locking hardware (excepting the whole China situation, ofc)?

MS lets you change your account region whenever. Sony and Nintendo let you put accounts for multiple regions on one system. I don't see why things would suddenly change.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
So on ps4 they were region locked?

bluray movies are region locked on both ps4 and xbox.....it's not the console that's doing it. It's just the way bluray consortium works for movies. that being said, many bluray movies are released under region 0 (region free).

games will be region free 100%.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of movie Blu-rays, games have been region free since PS3, at least on Sony's side (I think they weren't on 360, but Xbox One is region free)

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Xbox One already, for games?
I hope PlayStation will change. With our shit economy new games are now cost 1/6 of more or less regular pay. After they banned Modern Warfare over here and I bough it via US store and it cost less that I'd spend here. Keep in mind $60 PSN cards can be easily purchased for about $50.
But even bigger problems is their regions concept overall. I still see lots of people not aware about regions thingy, specially if they're buying retail versions and then wondering why their Region 3 DLC doesn't work with their Region 1 Retail game.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The same as before...

Games are region free, there is no region code on the game disc and for the download.
Power supplies are for 100 - 240 V AC, so they are "region free" (Yes, you need a different power cable)
Blu ray movies have a region code on the disc, it is not region free.
UHD movies don't have a region code on disc, it is region free.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of movie Blu-rays, games have been region free since PS3, at least on Sony's side (I think they weren't on 360, but Xbox One is region free)

There were region free 360 games, but it was up to the publisher or whatever. Think there were 1 or 2 region locked PS3 games as well, like Persona 4 Arena?

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I'd imagine it would be for games given how the Xbox One and PS4 are. It better be anyway, much as I loved the days where importing was necessary and gave you access to stuff that would never have left Japan, I definitely don't miss the cost and needing to buy multiple versions of the same system to cover all your bases.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Old (BC) stuff will NEVER get unlocked...if a prior platform had region lock newer platforms will observe it because they can't violate past regional licenses. People need to stop expecting this.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine it would be for games given how the Xbox One and PS4 are. It better be anyway, much as I loved the days where importing was necessary and gave you access to stuff that would never have left Japan, I definitely don't miss the cost and needing to buy multiple versions of the same system to cover all your bases.
I had a japanese and a PAL Dreamcast back in the day :)

My ps2 was either american and then modded at store or PAL and modded at a store to play Suikoden 3. SO expensive :(

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There were region free 360 games, but it was up to the publisher or whatever. Think there were 1 or 2 region locked PS3 games as well, like Persona 4 Arena?
Persona 4 Arena, Joysound Dive and Way of The Samurai 3, according to Wikipedia we're locked.

360 has a few as well, but it depends on the publisher, it was Sony's policy on PS3 to obligate region free in all games (not sure what happened to those three exceptions though)

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Platform holder will offer region free gaming by default, but publishers have the option to make games region locked. From time to time, some Japanese games are locked. Plus, China wants region locking for their hardware/software.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
I had a japanese and a PAL Dreamcast back in the day :)

My ps2 was either american and then modded at store or PAL and modded at a store to play Suikoden 3. SO expensive :(

I feel your pain, I soft modded pretty much everything where it was possible, but I was the not-so-sane owner of two 3DS', two Wii's and had to replace 3 red-ringed NTSC-J 360's.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the best thing I've heard all week!
I agree, it's going to be a huge help when I finally upgrade to 4K.

I feel your pain, I soft modded pretty much everything where it was possible, but I was the not-so-sane owner of two 3DS', two Wii's and had to replace 3 red-ringed NTSC-J 360's.
I imported a Sega Nomad and got a ton of import taxes, I think I was only 12 years old :( My PAL games didn't work, but luckily I bought Comic Zone and Sonic 3d with the machine.