• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've been noticing that a lot of bank employees that I meet--aside from tellers--are titled some sort of Vice President. I don't know if that just happens to be coincidence, but at other companies, VPs are quite senior and definitely not people I'd associate as customer-facing.

Are things different at banks?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the institutional or even commercial banking arms of banks that deal with corporates (across capital markets, corporate and investment banking, transaction banking, and risk management, as an example), yes, VP is a mid-level title and not really comparable to a VP at a corporate. They're not executives. I don't know what you mean when you say you're not talking about tellers, though. There's a wide gulf between teller and like an investment banker.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah banks have director level and vp level flipped around basically for some reason.

So a director at a bank is higher level than a VP, and some bank VPs aren't really even management level.

it's weird.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A bank Vice President is the equivalent of a games forum moderator.

Take that as you will.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what you mean when you say you're not talking about tellers, though. There's a wide gulf between teller and like an investment banker.
I meant, like, if you go to Chase or something and need to do some account management, you have to talk to a banker or advisor instead of just the teller. Those are the people who often have VP titles.

Yeah banks have director level and vp level flipped around basically for some reason.

So a director at a bank is higher level than a VP, and some bank VPs aren't really even management level.

it's weird.
What about SVP? Is that below director, too? I saw one of my connections on LinkedIn was an SVP at BoA a while ago, and I was pretty impressed. But maybe I shouldn't have been.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I meant, like, if you go to Chase or something and need to do some account management, you have to talk to a banker or advisor instead of just the teller. Those are the people who often have VP titles.

What about SVP? Is that below director, too? I saw one of my connections on LinkedIn was an SVP at BoA a while ago, and I was pretty impressed. But maybe I shouldn't have been.
SVP is junior to a director. Director is also not that senior, unlike at a corporate where that could be someone on a board.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SVP is junior to a director. Director is also not that senior, unlike at a corporate where that could be someone on a board.

well, board of directors is different than a director.

corporate director level would usually just be someone who manages a department team day to day. VP and SVP within that same department would be above them.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
well, board of directors is different than a director.

corporate director level would usually just be someone who manages a department team day to day. VP and SVP within that same department would be above them.
I know that. "Board of Directors" is not a title. It's a thing. People who sit on the Board are Directors. I'm just saying that Director can be a fairly senior title at a corporate; it's generally the lowest level executive. A director at a bank is not an executive just as a VP is not an executive.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Depends on the job but for banking it kinda goes like this:
Analyst
Associate
Vice President
Managing Director
Partner

And throw a lot of "senior" in the title too.