• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
if someone is searching for a tablet, is there any reason not to go for an iPad?

also, do iPads all have 3.5mm headphone jacks?

Oct 29, 2017
Only the base iPad has a headphone jack, and rumors are they're getting rid of that with the next model.

As to the thread question? I tried my damnedest to make Android tablets work, but it simply isn't as polished or optimized as the iPads are. And this is from someone who only uses Android phones. I have an iPad Pro and no interest in trying Android tablets again.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I love my Samsung Tab Ultra. Massive 14.6" AMOLED screen. Fantastic for media consumption and more productive than my iPad Pro with magic keyboard thanks to Dex. I also use it with my Switch docked as a monitor and as a portable screen for my laptop. The pen experience is pretty good too though not as many apps that support it like the iPad.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trade my s7+ (used daily) for an iPad. My next tablet will be an S8 Ultra.
It depends on usage. For media/comics/internet I'd argue that Samsung is better than iPad (SD cards, aspect ratio) but obviously for app use iPad is far better.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I am not an Apple fan so no iPad for me. My Android one works great and was much cheaper than overpriced Apple stuff.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, I think Windows Surface stole the non-iPad tablet market from Android. Especially when cheaper/used models became more available.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
They are still a thing, but iPad is the better tablet ecosystem by far. Way more apps tailor made to tablet usage and they're great devices in general. I have a cheapo one that I use as my character sheet for D&D and I still default to my 2018 iPad over it 9/10 times.
Is there a reason to get a tablet in general?
Still the absolute best for comics/manga.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I love my Samsung Tab Ultra. Massive 14.6" AMOLED screen. Fantastic for media consumption and more productive than my iPad Pro with magic keyboard thanks to Dex. I also use it with my Switch docked as a monitor and as a portable screen for my laptop. The pen experience is pretty good too though not as many apps that support it like the iPad.

The Ultra is too big for my liking, but I love my base S8. I absolutely love the versatility that DEX provides.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A new Pixel Tablet is coming out in the near-ish future. Kind of over tablets though I think. I really liked my Nexus 7 and Nexus 9 back in the day but not sure it's worth it anymore beyond having it for a comics/manga reader.

Miyahon

Nov 8, 2017
if someone is searching for a tablet, is there any reason not to go for an iPad?

Yeah, iPad has more tablet optimized apps versus Android based ones.

If you want to buy a new one only the cheapest version of iPad has a 3.5mm jack.

The iPad's that do not have a headphone jack are the ones without a home button.

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck ipads.
Enjoying my Galaxy tab as a media viewer/ book/ comic reader, and web browser, which is pretty much why I got one.

Dwayne

Oct 27, 2017
We got a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 recently for my son to play children's games on and it's been great, excellent battery life and performance. One of the key reasons we went with Android is Google Play Pass - it has plenty of great apps for kids to use and no need to worry about adverts or IAPs. Cheap too, the credit I make on Google Opinion Rewards mostly covers the cost.

Oct 27, 2017
Where i live I see more popel with android tabs than Ipads (Then again in a Non US Country Apple products are insanely costly so)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Honestly, I think Windows Surface stole the non-iPad tablet market from Android. Especially when cheaper/used models became more available.
It's more a productivity device though. As an actual tablet it isn't great. That includes the Surface Go. It sucks as a tablet. Hardly any native apps on the App Store for tablet things like comics or the like. Super thick bezels on any side. It's very much a computer. And that just my experience using one for work over the course of 9 months before I begged for a XPS.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I mean, I have a Samsung one, if you don't have an iPhone it's nice to have a consistent platform between devices.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Samsung is still carrying the torch for Android Tablets.
If you're not already deep in the Apple ecosystem, the Samsung Tab S line is worth a look.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017

If you're not going to view Apple TV on it, a Samsung Tablet is better: SD card, pen built in, bit cheaper, and offers ton of flexibility in general (side loading opens up possibilities).

I own both an iPad Pro 12, and a Samsung 12 inch tablet. Samsung has a 14 inch model this year, and Apple is going to bring out a 14 inch version probably later this year or next, as per rumours. Mostly next year.

Oh, the Samsung one is OLED and the Apple Pro has mini LEDs.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
The results of my own tablet research lately can be summarized as "If you want the cheapest acceptable screen, get an Amazon Kindle. Otherwise, get an iPad. If you absolutely insist upon a more expensive Android tablet, Samsung is basically your only option."

IIRC, Google has been trying to make optimizations for tablets with the latest version of Android after years of basically ignoring them, so maybe things will improve soon, but it hasn't worked its way into actual products yet.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
There are a couple decent arguments for Android tablets still. It's way more economical to add storage to them if you want to keep a lot of media available for offline consumption, for example. The base iPad is really good though and isn't that expensive in most places. Most Android tablets that are worth buying cost almost as much as it, so unless you have a specific requirement that an Android tablet will solve for around the same price, I'd recommend an iPad.

Zaku3

Banned
Mar 20, 2019
Theyre good as hybrid PCs not necessarily great for media consumption and casual use.

I actually want to shout out 2 in 1 laptops. I love my HP Envy. I like it so much I think I might drop from high end gaming laptops and get one of those Asus gaming 2 in 1s.

I never really got tablets and preferred phablets.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Yes, and yes.

(Unless you're heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, and then it's: Yes, and maybe.)

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Absolutely not. Amazon Fire Tablets are absurdly cheap on Prime Day, if you buy the lock-screen ad one especially, and someone able to follow basic instructions can get the Google Play Store on there with no issues. You also get to download any .apk you may want pretty much.

You might run into some apps not compatible, but for reading, it can't be beat.