• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Like I dont see the point of them. Switch doesnt use them only the Wii U and 3DS support them (3DS through an extra accessory you have to pay for on top too)

Yet Nintendo is still releasing new ones. Theres gonna be a Link one for the new Link's Awakening game yet I dunno what you'd even use this for?

I like collecting a few more for the fact with the way they look with the rest of my figures than actually using them as an amiibo. Is this why people buy them still? as collectible figures? They are good quality and I like collecting a few and just display them on my shelves.

Oct 25, 2017
You can scan them on the right analog stick.
They announced like 6 at e3.
Had a business conference today showcasing all the released ones today.

They'll likely be less of a focus, but big games like the next Zelda, Splatoon 3, mario Odyssey 2, etc will likely still launch with some

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They've certainly decreased the output, but we still see them every now and then. The Smash line is still going strong.
And yes, I buy them to collect as well. The only one I've opened out of my 40 something amiibo is the Ryu one.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Everytime a thread like this one gets made Nintendo announces new ones.

Yes, I think the 'craze' is over.
But no, they are not dead. I think specific Amiibos tied to specific games are going to sell very well.

Like I thought I was done with Amiibos until I saw Link's Awakening LINK. Can you say no to this little guy?

No, didn't think so.

amiibo.900x.jpg

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Switch doesnt use them only the Wii U and 3DS support them (3DS through an extra accessory you have to pay for on top too)
Switch supports them, the reader is under the analog stick of the right joycon/in the center of the Pro controller. The New 3DS (both regular and XL) and New 2DS XL both have native support (i.e. every 3DS model released after amiibo was introduced has native support). The accessory is just for the OG 3DS, the 2DS, and the non-new 3DS XL.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's one thing I don't get. The smash line is like the biggest and most popular amiibo line, and yet I still don't get what the draw is of it's functionality in the game.

It was noted in the amiibo thread, though, that Mario Maker has minimal if any support.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate uses them, and Link's Awakening and Three Houses are both confirmed to have support in some capacity.

They've definitely slowed down, though.

Oct 25, 2017

But no, they are not dead. I think specific Amiibos tied to specific games are going to sell very well.

Like I thought I was done with Amiibos until I saw Link's Awakening LINK. Can you say no to this little guy?

No, didn't think so.

amiibo.900x.jpg

It's pretty great

Oct 26, 2017
I think the big problems were the following:

1. amiibo needed to NOT be a requirement. They should only have ever been an easy access to an unlockable. Unless the game was built specifically for it, like AC amiibo Festival and Mario & DK amiibo Challenge.

2. The Animal Crossing figure line was handled awfully. They must've sent like dozens of characters to stores at once. They should've started with the biggest ones (they sort of did but not with a billion other characters).

3. The TCG needed to be focused on more since its the perfect budget way to get the characters. Also maybe have offered a fixed set to get certain characters, like a Mario Series set containing cards for each character in one box. Pokemon also not getting an amiibo TCG set yet is a travesty in my eyes! Sword & Shield is the last chance I think they have to do this with. Hey the e-Reader cards were my JAM!

It's clear retailers have given up on them since you basically see none there bar a couple if you're lucky. Also any character that gets released vanishes basically day 1. I had to get K. Rool at a premium at a specialty/independent game store.

So much potential that could've been realized had Nintendo done things better. I think also not working with Activision on the original Skylanders when they approached Nintendo with the idea was a big mistake. They could've had a big exclusive franchise and if the amiibo team would've made said figures, we'd have been cooking!

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
This OP is hilarious; amiibo work with a lot of games on Switch, and people still buy them (me included.) So yes, amiibo are still alive.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
Wouldn't say dead, just niche now. The hype is over and that's ok. I'm sure they're still profitable for Nintendo, they would've stopped releasing new ones if they weren't.

And Link's amiibo from Link's Awakening seems incredible. Hopefully I can get one.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I would like amiibo more if I could actually buy any at a decent price. I'm not businessman but why not just make more?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Stuff like Smash Isabelle are selling out instantly, so there's clearly a demand for them, it's just that they're more of collectors items with a bonus rather than usage in games and as a toy on the side like initially, so you don't hear about them as much.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I have multiple pre-ordered right now so I'm gonna say no... but the "amiibo hunting" age is over for sure. Hype is died down quite a bit and its very easy to find the amiibos you want.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

No, didn't think so.

amiibo.900x.jpg
I ordered that one as soon as I could, he's too adorable.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
No, in fact, they had all 168 on display at their annual financial meeting yesterday.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
this thread is about amiibos

Have you seen the last few waves of amiibo? Or are you just being purposefully ignorant? We haven't had a Merth or a Lunk in a while.

Going back to the Zelda BotW line (maybe as far back as Wave 5 of Smash), the quality has been getting better and better over time. Some of the most recent Smash amiibo are incredibly high-quality and detailed, and for some characters the only figures you can find anywhere.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are still around but they are winding down. Outside of Smash, the only amiibo Nintendo is releasing is the Link's Awakening amiibo in September. Besides 3rd parties, (the only one pending release right now is the SHovel Knight 3 pack which I'm pretty sure was announced two years ago). I wouldn't expect much more action going forward.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
They're $13-16, which is cheap for the sector, yet probably cost 1/4 that to produce and ship. They look rad. As mere figurines, everyone wins.

And then you get extra hearts or outfits or whatever in seven games, which, yes, is a yawn and a half, but why not.

karby

Oct 27, 2017
The Animal Crossing ones were handled badly, at first. But after the New Leaf update a few years back interest in them started picking up, especially with the cards. Now the devs for the upcoming Switch game have come out and said amiibo support will be added. So I'm hanging on to all of my extra ones instead of selling them off.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I never got caught up in the wave of collecting them en masse, but I do have a few sealed ones( Cloud, Pac-man, Wolf Link) and a Smash Link I use for BOTW. Mostly I consider them little decorative pieces sitting behind my Switch.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Like I dont see the point of them. Switch doesnt use them only the Wii U and 3DS support them (3DS through an extra accessory you have to pay for on top too)

Yet Nintendo is still releasing new ones. Theres gonna be a Link one for the new Link's Awakening game yet I dunno what you'd even use this for?

I like collecting a few more for the fact with the way they look with the rest of my figures than actually using them as an amiibo. Is this why people buy them still? as collectible figures? They are good quality and I like collecting a few and just display them on my shelves.

Nee 3DS systems have an integrated NFC reader. Switch can use them too.