• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are all white people racist?

• Yes

Votes: 493 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 2,284 65.1%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 69 2.0%
  • It's a very nuanced answer that is yes/no

Votes: 664 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
All white people are racist.

There's not really any serious academic debate on this question, because it assumes that it's possible for someone to not be racist in any meaningful way. That's not real.

It's interesting to see how the term racism gets redefined in debates like this (including in this very thread). Liberals are all too happy to acknowledge the racism of others, but when it comes time to turn the mirror on themselves the stuttering and the backpedaling comes out in full force.

Racism is not just "intentional racism", whatever that means. It is any belief, unconscious or conscious, expressed or unexpressed, that race says something about someone's personality, their tendencies, their moral character, whatever.

We all have them, and white people are especially vulnerable to playing into them in insidious ways because a) white people have the least first-hand experience as victims of racism (except in the context of being a "victim" of being called out for being racist or having ancestors who were racists) and b) it's more comfortable for white people to believe that racism is a thing of the past.

I've seen a number of people say in this thread that calling unconscious biases that (seemingly) rarely manifest racism is diluting the meaning of the word. This argument assumes that there is a "safe" or "acceptable" amount of racism; there isn't. It's important to call it what it is so that we can remain vigilant about our own biases.

MLK Jr.'s quote on white moderates here is on point: Getting white people to realize that all of them are racist to some extent is going to be a big challenge. Why? Because it's an uncomfortable fact, and unlike minorities, when white people acknowledge their racism they are acknowledging that they are a part of something big, bad and powerful. It requires them to realize that they have benefited and continue to benefit from the privilege that their race affords them. It requires them to question how well they would have fared on a truly level playing field. It requires them to be critical about why they feel the way they do about certain people.

(For what it's worth, I'm white.)

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Short answer: No.

Long answer: I really don't want to know if you want to be racist or not, but I'd rather not look for American players in videogames who might make fun of me being Mexican. I do my best to avoid interacting with white Americans for this reason, let alone people of other nationalities, even my own.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, we do live in a racist society where the system is made to help white people. I mean, it's not only white people - right now living in China I can feel some discrimination and racism towards some other cultures. I'm a white man from Portugal and lots of times I get denied taxi or hotel room just for being foreigner.

But most racism comes from a place of ignorance. Unless these people actually try to broaden their horizons, accept the differences, see what's wrong with society and actively help it become more equal, nothing is going to change.

And to be honest, I also think racism is so deep inside the human race that's it's not going away. People don't treat each other as equal, they don't put their beliefs aside and try to understand the other side... rarely anyone does that. That's because everyone is so damn cozy on their place that thinking different is too much work, so ignorance just keeps them that way.

For example, here in China I've met people that went from hating foreigners to accepting them after a good talk (the situation is a tad bit different). Is it like this everywhere? No, this was actually an exception, but goes to show that most people are just racist because they don't care, they benefit from the system so for them it's all right.

But to answer OP's question, no, not all white people are racist. Do they benefit from the system created? Yes, they do, but that doesn't make them necessarily racist. Just complacent most of them.

EDIT: If complacency can be considered racist, then ok, all white people are racist.

OP
OP
Apr 21, 2018
Reparations, affirmative action, dismantling the police, waiving both personal and national debt (hey France, stop fucking over Haiti m'kay?), actually deplatforming the alt-right, recognizing the sovereignty of natives, taking down confederate iconography, just not fucking voting for right-wing parties. There's plenty of solutions to combat racism. Nothing I've said in this thread is new, just regurgitated thoughts from more daring trailblazers and writers packaged up for you all. Black and brown people have had the conversation, and given you the solutions.

So again, the question is when are you all going to do something about it? My honest guess is never, because you simply have no incentive to do so.

I like to think most of us here fight to de-platform the alt-right and stay away from right-wing politics. I also don't think anyone here would dress in blackface and we would mostly all support taking down confederate iconography.

But I'm genuinely not too sure what to do otherwise. Should I donate to BLM? I guess I could march in protests and rallies (I've never done this).

What can a white progressive liberal like most of us here do? I'm not trying to be dense, jus wondering what you (or anyone) recommends we do outside of:
-voting right
-voting with wallet right
-not being racist, speaking up for equality
-acknowledging white privilege
-learning, understanding, and seeking compassion

Mar 10, 2018
So much focus on what occurred in history and the problems, it just perpetuates itself. I'm still yet to see a better possible "solution" than Morgan Freeman's response, I'm all ears on further education and solutions -

I don't agree with Freeman here. The problem isn't that we're talking to each other about racism; it's how we're talking to each other about racism. And the fact is: we're not talking to each other about racism. We're talking at each other about racism. There is no genuine, open dialogue. Just hostility and defensiveness.

I do agree that Black History Month isn't very effective at combatting anti-black racism. It's really just a way for white people to pat themselves on the back for a month and then go back to status quo come March. Rather than having a designated month for actually caring about black people, why not make a conscious effort to listen to the experiences of the black people whom you encounter in your everyday life?

In my opinion, the best way for white people to end racism is to engage in actual, open, human-to-human dialogue with regular, every-day non-white folk. You can read up on all the non-white historical figures and activists you want; you can watch all the documentaries and listen to all the podcasts on racial awareness you want; you can attend all the university lectures on the social plight of minorities you want; the fact remains, nothing beats actual human interaction with an average non-white person. Listen to their experiences, and listen mindfully, attentively, and in a non-defensive way. Engage in genuine dialogue. Support non-white businesses. Go to a black barbershop. Attend a local, open non-white event in your area. This will be far more effective than reciting the first few lines of Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech every February and calling it a day (or month).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the poll, the ironic answer is that until enough white people have the gumption to entertain the notion that they are in fact active contributors of white normalcy and white supremacy, there can be no other conclusion.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The solution isn't easy and I don't pretend to have any start to answer that but calling all white people racist isn't a great start to that and it's just finger point the problem in place of workable solutions.
You don't have to pretend to have an answer, because black and brown people have done the thinking for you. There's tons of written and video content out there on what to do to get the ball rolling on dismantling white supremacy the world over, as well as plenty of organizations to join if that's your bag. In general, all white people have to do is implement the solutions that have been sitting there free of charge.

But that would mean admitting there is a problem and checking your ego at the door, instead of obfuscating the point and kicking the can down the road since the status quo is just so darn cozy. Because you can tell me you hire for diversity. You can tell me you teach your children right.

And yet you're in here pretending like conversations still need to happen, blaming Trump on minorities not outvoting 60% of the population, leaning into the falsehood the this is an American-centric problem, asking why I didn't put Latinos and Asians on blast, and ultimately not even actually trying to refute the propositions I put forth in that first post but still insisting that you are uncomfortable with me saying what I said.

Like, you're literally doing then thing I talked about in my first post and you don't even realize it.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
No. You can't say "all" of any race are anything.

pretty much this

tumblr_n7drtbOrCm1qex0dmo6_250.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The system as it is is fundamentally racist, and the insidiousness of it is that white liberals can point to any vocal fascist on the news while remaining unchallenged on their own complicity in maintaining (and benefitting from) that same system. If POC dare express discontent? "Do you want the racist conservatives to win? How dare you." And then ordering marginalized groups to put their grievances aside and fall in line, because they aren't allowed to demand better.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
We're all swimming in it.

Enough white people taking effective action I think would need to happen quietly(if they're serious about it) and when they stop caring if everyone thinks they're good people(it's irrelevant).

Oct 31, 2017
White people have never believed white people are racist

Racism is one of those things you don't have to actively be trying to do yet can still actively participate in. It's learned behavior and it's behavior most white countries have clung to for literally hundreds of years

fuck, this is basic shit

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Short answer: No.

Long answer: I really don't want to know if you want to be racist or not, but I'd rather not look for American players in videogames who might make fun of me being Mexican. I do my best to avoid interacting with white Americans for this reason, let alone people of other nationalities, even my own.
This concept is a bit hard for us Mexicans to understand because "white people" exist on a gradient in Mexico. A "güero" and a "moreno" are on different "sides" of the same category, while in the US there's a hard line between European Americans and African Americans (different culture, even different food, different dialects, different history, etc). Racism in Mexico -absolutely- exists though! I don't want to imply it doesn't.

And yeah, I got soooo much anti-Mexican hate back in the SFIV days too, lol. Always from Americans :x

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Academic argument that only serves to radicalize otherwise normal, well-meaning people. Yes, all white people benefit and have benefited from racism. No, you're not going to suddenly convince people by shouting this at them. Just the opposite.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sure you can. Here's an example of such a statement: whether they realize it or not, all white people have benefited from the exploitation of black labor.

For sure we have.

But does that make one racist? I mean I can't remove the actions of my predecessors (I can of course work against racism and be active in that) since it has already happened.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
In my opinion...yes, whether knowningly, or unknowningly. White people are racist. All other races will never be them, they will always be others and if you try to point it out to them. They will always get defensive about it. either "I have black friends", "I'm a different kind of white person" ect.
I'm Asian American, and at my work place, its majority white. Only 2 people are Asian, me and another guy. We had to deal with bat soup jokes, and other stuff due to the pandemic. If I or the other guy try to say anything all the other white people will suddenly jump to the person's defense with "He didn't mean it" "It's just a joke" ect.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree with Freeman here. The problem isn't that we're talking to each other about racism; it's how we're talking to each other about racism. And the fact is: we're not talking to each other about racism. We're talking at each other about racism. There is no genuine, open dialogue. Just hostility and defensiveness.

I do agree that Black History Month isn't very effective at combatting anti-black racism. It's really just a way for white people to pat themselves on the back for a month and then go back to status quo come March. Rather than having a designated month for actually caring about black people, why not make a conscious effort to listen to the experiences of the black people whom you encounter in your everyday life?

In my opinion, the best way for white people to end racism is to engage in actual, open, human-to-human dialogue with regular, every-day non-white folk. You can read up on all the non-white historical figures and activists you want; you can watch all the documentaries and listen to all the podcasts on racial awareness you want; you can attend all the university lectures on the social plight of minorities you want; the fact remains, nothing beats actual human interaction with an average non-white person. Listen to their experiences, and listen mindfully, attentively, and in a non-defensive way. Engage in genuine dialogue. Support non-white businesses. Go to a black barbershop. Attend a local, open non-white event in your area. This will be far more effective than reciting the first few lines of Dr. King's "I have a dream" speech every February and calling it a day (or month).

Solid points, I can see merit in this over generations especially in that it bleeds the problem out from society itself. Honestly this is just how people should be in general though, respect and engage the people in your local communities. The trouble is those that don't have this basic humanity in them. My wife grew up with Aboriginals throughout regional Australia and foster homes so our non-USA "exposure" for lack of a better term is present at least. I grew up in various countries with all sorts of exposure to cultures and races.

Another great point on engaging out of your so called comfort zone, we attend Chinese new year celebrations, learn Mandarin, buy from local businesses e.g. Italian deli, Asian supermarket etc. This is really worthy of promotion post after post, far more than finger pointing etc. Melbourne Australia is quite a diverse crowd so it's relatively easy to mix various cultural events throughout the year with very little travel or non family friendly events. A great point to promote with your local council or government body for your community.

Completely agree with the "social media look good" sentiment in your post.

You don't have to pretend to have an answer, because black and brown people have done the thinking for you. There's tons of written and video content out there on what to do to get the ball rolling on dismantling white supremacy the world over, as well as plenty of organizations to join if that's your bag. In general, all white people have to do is implement the solutions that have been sitting there free of charge.

But that would mean admitting there is a problem and checking your ego at the door, instead of obfuscating the point and kicking the can down the road since the status quo is just so darn cozy. Because you can tell me you hire for diversity. You can tell me you teach your children right.

And yet you're in here pretending like conversations still need to happen, blaming Trump on minorities not outvoting 60% of the population, leaning into the falsehood the this is an American-centric problem, asking why I didn't put Latinos and Asians on blast, and ultimately not even actually trying to refute the propositions I put forth in that first post but still insisting that you are uncomfortable with me saying what I said.

Like, you're literally doing then thing I talked about in my first post and you don't even realize it.

The underlined part I take issue with. So I purposefully hire people that aren't just Aussie whites/mates, I teach my kids about world issues, we relish the opportunities for our kids to visit other countries or experience various cultures locally but I still have to check my ego at the door? Why because I tell you we're not racist because we do those things?

I never said those conversations need to happen, the solutions need to happen. Action not words, to be clear. If I'm off on USA ethnic percentages then I stand corrected and that's an incorrect point of mine for sure.

Some of your posts make is seem like there is a consensus handbook one can read. After experiencing primary, junior and high school in various countries as well as a sister that has birthed her family/3 generations in USA for nearly 30+ years now I've never seen a nationality, such as Americans, that is so consistent with their political and race debates in daily conversations or school upbringing. This is why I tend to look at Morgan Freeman's statements as a way forward more so. I understand if you feel differently of course.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people in the thread have mentioned something like this, but to me, "is a person racist" is kind of like asking "is a person tall". I mean, maybe. A seven foot three dude, and a KKK member, are sure to hit that bar. But what about 6'5? 6'1? 5'11? It's a spectrum.

It's a more useful question to ask "do all white people have racist thoughts and behaviors at certain times"? And I think the answer to that question is yes. I myself always try to do better, but I'd be lying if I didn't have some level of internalized stigma going on. Which is why it's important to listen to people when they tell you your behavior is problematic, and do better.

I remember...seven years ago?...on the old site, I posted something *very* embarrassingly stupid in a thread about a black girl being suspended from a school because her hair was in cornrows. I got told off and rightly so. But hopefully, I became a little bit *less* racist the next day.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, and all people are racist to some extent. We all have to deal with some level of external or internalized racism at some point in our lives, and to what level is really down to the individual. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Also, capitalism needs these things to survive so there's no way it gets fixed in our current power structures, sorry folks.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes.

I'm not racist as in I judge people by the colour of their skin, but I am white and live in a majority white nation. This means I've benefited and still benefit from white privilege. I have been guilty of being blind to my white privilege in the past and a vast majority of white people still can't see their own white privilege. This makes them racist in my view and also means I've been racist.

Anybody who says no really is blinded by their own white privilege and needs to wake the fuck up.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
For sure we have.

But does that make one racist? I mean I can't remove the actions of my predecessors (I can of course work against racism and be active in that) since it has already happened.
The thing is, you're benefitting from it right now.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It depends on what you mean, but most answers are "yes" or "mostly, but", rather than "no" or "no but", so I'm gonna just say yes.

To detail:
  • Do you mean, "do all white people hate or not care about people of color?" Well, obviously no, not ALL. Of course not. I'd guess most don't hate them. HOWEVER. It could also kinda be a half yes as an unfortunately sizable portion just... don't care, which does unfortunately have the material effect of hating people of color- outside of, of course, the direct hate crimes which the latter doesn't commit but the former do. Like, it reflects in the politicians they willingly empower, or in the choices they make in life, artistic, or business decisions, and so on. So I should probably actually split the question, the latter half half-yes, former half, no.
  • Do you mean, "do all white people treat people of color differently from themselves?" Mostly, yeah. Conservatives definitely treat people of other races differently, either out of a sense of superiority or a lack of education. Liberals and even some leftists tend to treat people of other races differently due to trying too hard to over-correct for their potential perceived racism.
  • Do you mean, "do all white people benefit from white supremacy and/or white privilege?" Yep, absolutely. Some may experience discrimination in other ways, but they never will in a meaningful way based on their race.
  • Do you mean, "do all white people have preconceived notions about other races that may or may not effect how they interact with people of color?" Absolutely, but that's not exclusive to white people, that's EVERYONE, towards ALL races.
  • Do you mean "do all white people ascribe to the notion of races actually existing?" Yes, but so does everyone. We kind of have to in our current system, everyone does, even if the science doesn't back it up, because we've yet to correct the sins of race science and other race related bigotry. Without things like reparations and making sure literally every person in society has equal say, without ZERO roadblocks towards them having that say, it's gonna stay that way, and as others have said, it's not gonna happen under our current power structures.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The underlined part I take issue with. So I purposefully hire people that aren't just Aussie whites/mates, I teach my kids about world issues, we relish the opportunities for our kids to visit other countries or experience their culture locally but I still have to check my ego at the door? Why because I tell you we're not racist because we do those things?
It's because it's obvious that you're upset. You have made a number of deflections and have downplayed what I have said. You're continuously trying to shift the burden to others. You keep trying to prove to me you're one of the good ones. You literally aren't understanding that this defensive behavior- right here- is part of that "spectrum" of behaviors I talked about earlier, albeit more on the passive-aggressive end than the more aggressive end. It is a good thing that you are hiring Australian minorities, and it is good that you expose your children to other cultures. And yet despite all of that work, when a black American speaks about the systems of white supremacy that affect them the most, your answer included "Why aren't you talking about the Latinos and Asians, huh?!"

You literally just don't get it, and frankly I don't think there's anything I can say to better communicate to you the problem, which in itself is also a big issue. I don't know how to communicate my lived experience with someone who, by way of the forces of society, can not actually get a sense of how I live and how that lived experience informs my own philosophy. As I said, empathy is derived from exposure. But joke's on me. I can't expose white people to racism as felt by black people, no more than I can try to teach a dog about the number 5 when science has said dogs can only comprehend 4 instances of something, and anything beyond that is just "a lot."

Like, how the fuck do you break down the number 5? It's self-explanatory.

This is also why I say solving white supremacy is impossible, and it's why I've taken a hands-off approach in recent years in my life. It will persist long after I die, but the most I do is to fight for a better quality of life for myself. I don't need white people's approval to do what I want to do and be with who I wanna be with. So, take this as a victory. You've burnt me out.

Mar 3, 2019
I'm genuinely curious what those who are responding yes to this question, feel about Asia. The power dynamics are swinging towards China's favor, and the majority of the earth'S population resides in Asia. As the power dynamic swings even further in the direction of China, and the United States is in a position of weakness, then how does that change your viewpoint of the question? Are suddenly all chinese, and to a lesser extent Asians racist? I've never agreed with the blanket power dynamics argument, because it assumes that white people(which is a made up generalization for hundreds of different ethnic groups, a word that has only really existed in the modern era) have always been the dominant power group, and implies some sort of ingrained genetic racism which is patently racist of an assumption.

Frankly to target one ethnic group as the only racist group is childishly simplistic and ignores that everyone has implicit prejudices that form from their subconscious minds. Everyone is racist, on sliding scales. Using academic terms to confuse the term racism with systemic racism only serves to further muddy the meaning in general to favor painting all white people as the only dominant racist group, when power dynamics exist everywhere differently and with different ethnic groups.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Yes.

I'm not racist as in I judge people by the colour of their skin, but I am white and live in a majority white nation. This means I've benefited and still benefit from white privilege. I have been guilty of being blind to my white privilege in the past and a vast majority of white people still can't see their own white privilege. This makes them racist in my view and also means I've been racist.

Anybody who says no really is blinded by their own white privilege and needs to wake the fuck up.
I don't really see this argument. Does that mean all Chinese and Japanese people who live in their countries are racist as well? And how about white polish person living in UK, I mean they have benefit of being white but they also have disadvantage when compared to native UK people.

edit. and I don't deny systematical racism. But at the same time I can't blame every individual being racist just because they live and benefit from the system. We have many errors in our system and they are close to impossible to change without some sort of revolution and completely new way of thinking.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Basically this. People should probably stop thinking in binary terms "racist/non racist". Especially as it's always the others which are racist, "but not me!", typical binary convenience.

Everyone is racist to some degree, some are simply exhibiting their racism plainly, just as some are refraining it, etc.

Sure, every race is racist at some level if you want to see it that way but nobody has benefited more from racism than white people.

Mar 3, 2019
Sure, every race is racist at some level if you want to see it that way but nobody has benefited more from racism than white people.

In certain cultures perhaps, but time didn't suddenly start within the last 300 years. Hell the term white only became a thing within the last couple centuries, when in fact it was made up of a multitude of ethnicities. All cultures have benefited from racism at one point in time in the history of the human race. It's a sliding seesaw of power that changes through the years. Saying only white people have benefited from racism is to ignore at least a thousand years of human history.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
everyone has internalized biases and prejudices
racism is a spectrum of beliefs & actions, it was never a binary on/off state.
The sooner we dispose of that mistaken view (the fact that you can be perfect and absent of prejudice), the sooner we can get away from knee jerk defensive reaction of being "accused of racism" and actually discuss how we can reduce our everyday racist biases & actions

tl;dr yes; everyone is racist, but especially those who systemically benefit from it, such as white people

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I mean the whole system of western cultural and economic dominance is basically built on "whites being better than everyone else". So if you're white you are automatically benefitting from racism whether you want it or not because you are automatically living more comfortably (how ever much or little that might be) than other ethinicities.

I have seen myself benefitting from it despite being basically a lower class white person and it still disgusts me. Even if it makes things easier for me personally it isn't right. As long as I'll be able to vote I'll support only candidates and causes that fight for true equality for all people, no matter what.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. And if you attribute such a negative thing to an entire race, I have bad news for you OP.

To get into a more nuanced answer: I was raised in a pretty racist circle. My parents have never hid their right-leaning ideologies even when I was a kid, and throughout the years they often underlined their racist views about black people, migrants, but also their homophobic "values" and so on. When I was a kid, it was "cool" to be racist among kids. As I grew up, I realized some of these things are pretty damn toxic, and politicially and socially I distanced myself from such views and logic. As a migrant myself (who moved from a white European country to another, so not a lot of "visible" differences hampering me to be fair), I understand discrimination is disgusting, and I've always seen myself as somebody who tries to make things better in my small circle at the very least, making sure people drop certain discriminatory reasonings and harmful (often racially biased) conspiracy theories.

Yes, I was a dumb teen who said a lot of stupid things. I still joke about things that out of context would appear racist to some, but I'm also very self-ironic about my own foreign origins. Never been and never will be an actual racist though, as I always have a global(ized) view on things. The biases that I got pushed onto me as a kid who was raised in a right-leaning context are a thing I did my best to eliminate completely early on in my life, and given that I always loved learning, talking about, exploring other cultures, other kinds of pasts, other contexts I can look in the mirror knowing I'm not racist. I have a lot of issues, but discriminating people over a different skin colour, a country of origin, a religion, etc. is not something I do and not someone I am. So if you wanted an example, I'm white and I'm not racist.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory false equivalence surrounding race; prior severe ban for excusing racism.
That question/statement is racist.

Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, this specific conversation in this thread reeeaaaallllly stretches the definition of "racism." I think "Are all white people prejudiced?" would be a better question.

And speaking anecdotally, as a black person, most of the racism I've encountered has come from Latinos, of all shades. Old Asian people as well. But I live in SoCal, so this is specific to my region (even though I'm aware it occurs elsewhere).
I mean, that only accentuates Nepenthe's point about white supremacy exporting imagery of black inferiority. What you experienced is merely the reverberating effects of colorism packaged to those people as anti-blackness.

It's not a coincidence so many different cultures have present the most derogatory slur for black people in their language despite limited exposure. In the same vein all white people are racist due to the systemic belief, opportunity, and racial caste structure their born into/inundated with, much of the global population are antagonists of anti-blackness because they exist and benefit from a system of valuing black bodies as lesser.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely curious what those who are responding yes to this question, feel about Asia. The power dynamics are swinging towards China's favor, and the majority of the earth'S population resides in Asia. As the power dynamic swings even further in the direction of China, and the United States is in a position of weakness, then how does that change your viewpoint of the question? Are suddenly all chinese, and to a lesser extent Asians racist? I've never agreed with the blanket power dynamics argument, because it assumes that white people(which is a made up generalization for hundreds of different ethnic groups, a word that has only really existed in the modern era) have always been the dominant power group, and implies some sort of ingrained genetic racism which is patently racist of an assumption.

Frankly to target one ethnic group as the only racist group is childishly simplistic and ignores that everyone has implicit prejudices that form from their subconscious minds. Everyone is racist, on sliding scales. Using academic terms to confuse the term racism with systemic racism only serves to further muddy the meaning in general to favor painting all white people as the only dominant racist group, when power dynamics exist everywhere differently and with different ethnic groups.

I'm just gonna say, if your first response to the question of "Am I racist?" is "What about the Chinese?" and not "How can I learn from this criticism?", I have some bad news for you.

Oct 30, 2017
If all white people are racist, then all black/Chinese/Asian/hispanics are racist too.

There are prejudices in all societies/countries/communites. Minorities suffer everywhere.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
If you see how Roma (Gypsies) are treated in Europe and how Jews were treated worldwide, then racism is still active or rather the inability of the system to accept other ways of living and perpetuating the negative image of a group based on the acts of a minority within that group. Roma racism is even older than racism towards Blacks or Aborigines

Mar 3, 2019
I'm just gonna say, if your first response to the question of "Am I racist?" is "What about the Chinese?" and not "How can I learn from this criticism?", I have some bad news for you.

I think you must have missed the part where I said we are all racist to a sliding degree, everyone in the human race, so you might want to read what I wrote. It's very telling to me that instead of actually discuss the points I brought up and argue against them you simply chose to do a drive by post with little value than an attempt at a gotcha. If you actually have something to discuss then by all means, I love being moved from my position if the other person can argue it in a logical way, but otherwise I will just assume you are not really trying to discuss in good faith.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If all white people are racist, then all black/Chinese/Asian/hispanics are racist too.

There are prejudices in all societies/countries/communites. Minorities suffer everywhere.

I'm perpetually amazed by fact that so many of you folks think digging your heels in and screaming "no, you are racist too!" works as if you're dragging us down with you when the minorities are sitting here thinking "damn, I wish being called a racist was the worst thing that could happen to me."

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I absolutely detest this sort of pseudo intellectual stuff. You can say everybody is racist if you want to be pedantic, but I've always found that to be the opposite of helpful. So if we ignore that reductive premise then obviously there's no reasonable scenario in which all white people are racist.

It's similar to the argument that only white people can be racist (from a US-centered discussion) but to have racism occur it needs to come from a position of power, and minorities inherently don't have power, therefore they can't be racist! I don't know where these types of arguments come from, but besides being ironically very insensitive they are harmful discourse because they are intrinsically prejudicial and harmful to genuine discourse because they are so purposefully inflammatory.

Don't water down terms like racism.

Mar 3, 2019
Personal racism is usually ineffectual without the aid of systematic racism.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp lol.

You are completely missing the point they are making here. They are saying that power imbalances exist all over the world. What might be the power imbalance in say the United States is not the one in India. It's a case of nuance.

Status
Not open for further replies.