• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, one of The Wirecutter's top choices for air purifiers, the Coway Airmega 200, is currently $119 at Walmart. It's usually $250. Just ordered one as our allergies have been awful, and we have two cats and a dog so hoping it'll help with that.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Wana drop this here. Anyone have advice for a machine for primarily dust removal? My pcs are not on the first level (split level home) where the dogs are. We noticed it gets incredibly dusty there. Don't care for minor particles just need a good dusty catcher.

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a Levoit Core 300 and was disappointed that it did not have an auto function. Are these things ok to leave running 24/7 with the sleep function activated at night?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I just got a Levoit Core 300 and was disappointed that it did not have an auto function. Are these things ok to leave running 24/7 with the sleep function activated at night?

They're designed to run 24/7, so you're good. Also I wouldn't bother with the sleep function unless you can't deal with the noise otherwise. It runs too slow to be of any practical use except in maybe, like, a bathroom.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate having to always dust the place, I have a lot of black surfaces in the home too. So if something could remove or attract the dust that would be neat. Don't want something that takes too much space though.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Been using the Coway Airmega 200 for the past week since that Walmart sale

So far, so good

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading something concerning about some air purifiers emitting ozone, which can be a problem down the line. I assume this is not supposed to happen?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I got one for xmas, I did a bunch of research and found a cheap one and asked for it... so naturally my in-laws get me some no-name knock off from costco (that literally was 10 dollars cheaper than the one I asked for). It's noisy and I'm not sure how much it's helping when it's not on the "plane taking off noise levels" highest setting. Sigh. They never get gift receipts either so I'm stuck with it lol.

My old apartment is dusty as hell so this thing's gotta put in a shit ton of work. To be fair I've noticed that the layer of dust that normally accumulates weekly on every surface has definitely gone down, it's nothing crazy. Better than nothing tho. Also this unit is huge lol. Ugh.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
We have two Dyson air purifiers and they've made a huge difference in my home in regards to my asthma and my son's asthma.

Oct 27, 2017
I got one for xmas, I did a bunch of research and found a cheap one and asked for it... so naturally my in-laws get me some no-name knock off from costco (that literally was 10 dollars cheaper than the one I asked for). It's noisy and I'm not sure how much it's helping when it's not on the "plane taking off noise levels" highest setting. Sigh. They never get gift receipts either so I'm stuck with it lol.

My old apartment is dusty as hell so this thing's gotta put in a shit ton of work. To be fair I've noticed that the layer of dust that normally accumulates weekly on every surface has definitely gone down, it's nothing crazy. Better than nothing tho. Also this unit is huge lol. Ugh.
It's been awhile since I returned something to Costco, but I don't think you need the receipt, just everything that came in the box. I'm assuming you also have a Costco membership, as I think you need to have that but not 100% sure.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I live on a ranch, really close to a horse pasture. As such, the air gets pretty dirty. I'd wake up in the morning with a lot of really difficult-to-remove gunk in my eyes. I bought an air purifier, and the issue went away after some use.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
fyi, i was reading u can filter air for like $30 with one of those big fans + wrapping a cloth behind the fan

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you can get a hepa filter that fits on a box fan, I guess sure. But why do that when decent air filters arent much more money than that and way more discrete?
I have an air purifier but the reality is they are overpriced. And theres a big difference between $120 and $30 for most people

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
My son had an asthma attack in 2018. They found out he has a severe allergy to dust mites, so we bought all of these special pillow covers and new curtains for his room, as well as an air purifier. The difference was remarkable. He would often have a little snore, which completely disappeared. I definitely recommend it.

Feb 1, 2018
I paid $120 for a bluair and it's literally a large computer fan attached to a conical HVAC filter. This is a racket lol

My room does smell fresher and has less dust, though. Also it keeps the covid out

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend a Roomba or similar automatic vacuum to complement your purifier. Tons of dust and shit can be tracked into the house, and every time you step around you kick that dust up.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ah okay. That's not a bad budget brand, but yeah the model I think you have is louder than others.

we have 2 Winix's, a Germ Guardian, and a Coway

We do enjoy ours as well
Ah, I guess i meant like an off model or something, I couldnt even find info on it when i looked up the exact model number, i think its some specific model made just for costco.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
True, but nonetheless an option

How many do u guys use? I want to buy more but feel its too "1st world problems". But i hate dust so much. Im getting a new vacuum to suck up everything and hopefully that + one air filter around the house should do wonders.

I have a 1900 sq foot house, I have one in our bedroom and one in the finished basement area, getting a third for the living room once the winix is back on sale.

I initially did the fan and furnace filter thing just to see the difference before investing in real purifiers.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Any recommendations for getting rid of pot smells. I don't smoke myself but I believer some of my neighbors have started to partake during the pandemic and I just get random pungent smells in my condo. I think I need something with charcoal/carbon filter. Do these things need to be changed out often?

Missed a sale on the Winix 5500-2 at Target by a few weeks. :[
Ended up ordering up a Blueair 211+ Auto due to a sale at target as well. Hopefully it works well. Guess I'll see how it does in the living room and then see about getting something slightly smaller for the bedroom.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2021
Well, I suffer from a lot of dust around my desk in an unusual way, so I was thinking of getting an Air Purifier. Though I am not sure if it will solve this problem or not. If anyone has any experience with this, do tell!

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I've been using a few Winix air purifiers and have no complaints. Best price seems to rotate between Costco, Woot and direct from their website.

I bought a Levoit humidifier, I did the recommended maintenance started leaking the whole tank after a few months.