• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
This was (unfortunately) inevitable, all things considered. https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/arc-world-tour-2020-cancelled-due-to-coronavirus-concerns

"The health of our competitors, staff members and community members is our top priority," Arc System Works said in a press release. "This decision also comes at the face of increased difficulty in facilitating a fair competition throughout the tour. We regret to inform those who have been eagerly anticipating this tour of its cancellation. We thank you for your understanding."

Decisions regarding future Arc World Tour events (2021 and beyond) will be made based on global conditions at the time.

Arc System Works is currently discussing whether to hold ARCREVO Japan 2020 and the Arc World Tour 2020 Finals as independent events, but has yet to make any final decisions.

QeiUqKX.png

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Real weird time in the FGC. Would be less weird if every FG's online was on par with MK11's, but that's not the case.

It's a shame that this is happening during Granblue Fantasy Versus' first year.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
I get that EVO is trying to see if the situation will blow over by August, but 1. It won't and 2. No one is gonna travel for EVO, or for anything this year. They should cancel already.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real weird time in the FGC. Would be less weird if every FG's online was on par with MK11's, but that's not the case.

It's a shame that this is happening during Granblue Fantasy Versus' first year.

I'd like to think Cygames plan for that is to see if their sponsorship can resurrect a 2021 tour as I don't see them stopping with Battle (Character) Pass 2 this year.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get that EVO is trying to see if the situation will blow over by August, but 1. It won't and 2. No one is gonna travel for EVO, or for anything this year. They should cancel already.
Yep, I went to one of the first tournaments of console's Street Fighter 4's life. Devastation in AZ, will never forget seeing so many people at my first major tournament and how much fun it was, but I came back with the H1N1 Swine Flu and was bed ridden for a week. Not worth the risk

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Evo's waiting for the Nevada authorities to make it impossible to hold their event and force Mandalay to release them from their event contract, otherwise they're on the hook for a huge cancellation fee. Those cancellation fees from venues are a huge reason FGC events are shutting down in light of COVID cancellations.

kotaku.com

Amidst Coronavirus, The Fighting Game Community Faces An Uneasy Future

The global spread of the novel strain of coronavirus known as covid-19 has impacted the gaming industry in various ways, from convention shutdowns to the enacting of work-from-home policies at major studios. Fighting game community gatherings are being canceled and players are pulling out of...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If they plan on cancelling, they're probably gonna wait for state government to issue some kind of order around that time so they don't get financially screwed over.

i'm sure they'll make their announcement sooner rather than later. ASW just pulled the first trigger
Capcom only announced that they're cancelling the first half. No decision has been made about the second half.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, but the right move. I was hoping to attend at least one or two events this year and compete, but this whole thing obviously threw a wrench in things. Hopefully next year is better.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we should make this a general FGC cancellation thread just to keep track of everything.
Combobreaker cancelled.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017

Financially, Mr. Wizard can't do shit about canceling until the Government tells him to do so. Otherwise, you can say goodbye to EVO for a long time.

Same thing applies for both Jebailey and Rick (CEO and Combo Breaker).