• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been keeping up recently but this is pretty cool stuff for reasons beyond just celebrating fanfiction generally. Full list of Hugo nominees this year is here but I'd like to talk about AO3 being nominated in the Best Related Work category:

• Archive of Our Own, a project of the Organization for Transformative Works
  • Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction, by Alec Nevala-Lee (Dey Street Books)
  • The Hobbit Duology (documentary in three parts), written and edited by Lindsay Ellis and Angelina Meehan (YouTube)
  • An Informal History of the Hugos: A Personal Look Back at the Hugo Awards, 1953-2000, by Jo Walton (Tor)
  • www.mexicanxinitiative.com: The Mexicanx Initiative Experience at Worldcon 76(Julia Rios, Libia Brenda, Pablo Defendini, John Picacio)
  • Ursula K. Le Guin: Conversations on Writing, by Ursula K. Le Guin with David Naimon (Tin House Books)
AO3 is one of the world's biggest fanfiction repositories and communities and it's fantastic that recognition of it officially is happening, not only as a place where a lot of young writers begin and grow and thrive but also as a series of systems and architecture that is built specifically to encourage that environment - and crucially it's also generally speaking a largely female-architected and moderated place on the internet in a series of systems that often doesn't feel that way at all.

The related work category is just generally great too with the Lindsay Ellis Hobbit/NZ doco and the MexicanX Initiative also up for the slot.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Nice. A lot of popular literature has its roots in fanfiction, so some sort of official recognition is long overdue

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AO3 is so much better than fanfiction.net ever was in terms of tagging systems and organization. It's wonderful.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I remember when it was born out of a hissy fit from fanfiction.net. Have been out of the fanfic game for almost a decade, I had no idea it became a big deal. Congrats!

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
A *lot* of great finalists this year. I'll definitely be rooting for AO3.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I never thought about all of the development work that goes into ao3, or that a bulk of it is done by women. Think I'll throw a donation next time they ask for one.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
AO3 is so much better than fanfiction.net ever was in terms of tagging systems and organization. It's wonderful.

You know, I've tried to use AO3 in the past but I honestly find it much worse at sorting. Dropped it after a few attempts. I found it was much easier on FF.net to get what I wanted.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I've tried to use AO3 in the past but I honestly find it much worse at sorting. Dropped it after a few attempts. I found it was much easier on FF.net to get what I wanted.

It needs work, but I find that the quality of work is much higher than that of FFN, which makes the pain of searching easier than being on FFN.

What specifically about the sorting bothers you?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I adore ao3 and only venture to ff.net out of desperation in the past. Like others have said, ao3 has much better quality and finding what you want is so much easier, especially for popular fandoms. The OTW is also amazing.

I adore ao3 and only venture to ff.net out of desperation in the past. Like others have said, ao3 has much better quality and finding what you want is so much easier, especially for popular fandoms. The OTW is also amazing.

Same here. I still go to ff.net every so often because a lot of older fics I like are still there but AO3 is just so much better overall.

And I feel guilty for not being able to donate to them as they usually have their donation pledge around times when money's a bit tight. I'll try to donate this year though, since they provide an amazing service.