• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, and here I thought I was doing well in getting the Pac-Man Legacy machine for $350 at Christmas.

I'd jump on the Simpsons one, but their website isn't reflecting the price reduction.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Dang...sadly no Simpsons left near me but the Pac-Man cab for only $150 is extremely tempting. Maybe if I have some extra time after work I'll try to swing buy one of the WMs near me that has it.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, gonna try in the afternoon if there are any left.
And 150 pinballs? dang, someone let me know if that goes live again.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
it's a very niche product. i'm honestly pretty surprised they've made it as successful as they have. the fact that they were able to get these to a point where a walmart or a Best Buy just carries them in store, as if someone browsing around is going to see one and grab it on a whim, is very impressive. it feels like the overhead costs for getting just one of these into production would be huge, but at the end of the day you're either marketing towards older people who are nostalgic, or maybe kids who would want something like that in their room. either way, space and cost will always be massive barriers to entry. i could want one of these more than anything, doesn't change the fact that i live in an apartment and have nowhere to put it

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can get the MK one about 30 minutes away, hmm, dunno if it would fit in the back of my car though

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
it's a very niche product. i'm honestly pretty surprised they've made it as successful as they have. the fact that they were able to get these to a point where a walmart or a Best Buy just carries them in store, as if someone browsing around is going to see one and grab it on a whim, is very impressive. it feels like the overhead costs for getting just one of these into production would be huge, but at the end of the day you're either marketing towards older people who are nostalgic, or maybe kids who would want something like that in their room. either way, space and cost will always be massive barriers to entry. i could want one of these more than anything, doesn't change the fact that i live in an apartment and have nowhere to put it
I have to imagine they got a massive bump during covid lockdowns. Lots of dudes in their late 20s/early 30s being unable to go to bars or travel means they probably spent a lot of money redecorating their man caves. Now that covid restrictions have mostly eased up everywhere I'm not surprised they're not selling as much.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I have to imagine they got a massive bump during covid lockdowns. Lots of dudes in their late 20s/early 30s being unable to go to bars or travel means they probably spent a lot of money redecorating their man caves. Now that covid restrictions have mostly eased up everywhere I'm not surprised they're not selling as much.
Pretty much what happened to me. I had already gotten Ninja turtles a few months before Covid but I managed to get a clearance Galaga, the special edition Star Wars cabinet (sit down rather than standing) during lockdown. A year later I got the Marvel Vs Capcom cabinet.

For those thinking about getting one I suggest getting a game that
1. You like
2. Is very replayable/score focused
3. May have a unique control input.

As much as I loved turtles I found that side scrolling beat'em ups get old really fast when played single player.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
So is Walmart.com supposed to show if the discount is actually there, or do you have to go to the store and they are discounting it there only?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really want that Pac-Man cabinet and there's apparently a Wal-Mart in the area that has it for $149, but I feel like it's just gonna be a regretful purchase where I set it up, play it a few times, and it'll just collect dust afterward.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
They have them across the street from me discounted...I don't have any interest but if anyone needs one I can snag for them ha. I am sure whipping would be a bit pricy.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade1up's pinball cabs are "virtual pinball" which means they're a big LCD screen emulating a pinball environment instead of a "real" pinball machine with mechanical parts.

0x0.jpg

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
The ones with stock by me all show $399, some list $199 but are sold out, thank god because I don't need this.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Arcade1up's pinball cabs are "virtual pinball" which means they're a big LCD screen emulating a pinball environment instead of a "real" pinball machine with mechanical parts.

0x0.jpg
oh...i didn't know that. So It's just a huge, expensive, limited version of Pinball FX? That's kind of lame

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Something to keep in mind, but I think the Pacman/MK cabs do not include a riser. Without these you have a very short cabinet. Might still be worth it if you can source a riser.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
oh...i didn't know that. So It's just a huge, expensive, limited version of Pinball FX? That's kind of lame
Yeah...I get the appeal if you just really like the pinball machine form factor, but even then I'd rather get the AtGames virtual pinball cab which has a much bigger screen (32" compared to 24") and is very easy to mod so I could probably play The Pinball Arcade tables on it (which I've always felt has had better physics than PFX).

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Something to keep in mind, but I think the Pacman/MK cabs do not include a riser. Without these you have a very short cabinet. Might still be worth it if you can source a riser.

Pac-Man Legacy definitely does include a riser, unless there's a separate sku of it for some weird reason. Don't go by the pic on Brickseek.

OP
OP
BFIB

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...I get the appeal if you just really like the pinball machine form factor, but even then I'd rather get the AtGames virtual pinball cab which has a much bigger screen (32" compared to 24") and is very easy to mod so I could probably play The Pinball Arcade tables on it (which I've always felt has had better physics than PFX).
I ordered both the Star Wars and the Marvel virtual pins when they released. Enjoyed them while I had them, but that opened my eyes to what vpin could be. I ended up selling both the A1U, went AtGames and threw an old Dell Optiplex with a 1050Ti on it for OTG. I love it! Added this gem on it yesterday.

yi9h45fl.jpg

GameOver

Jan 26, 2021
You can get the Mortal Kombat one from Target.com for $150 and free shipping.

Fuck. I don't need this

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
It's really starting to feel like A1UP needs to rethink their current pricing strategy if they want to keep these things having shelf space in major retailers. I never see the new cabs move at their MSRP when I visit stores

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Pretty much what happened to me. I had already gotten Ninja turtles a few months before Covid but I managed to get a clearance Galaga, the special edition Star Wars cabinet (sit down rather than standing) during lockdown. A year later I got the Marvel Vs Capcom cabinet.

For those thinking about getting one I suggest getting a game that
1. You like
2. Is very replayable/score focused
3. May have a unique control input.

As much as I loved turtles I found that side scrolling beat'em ups get old really fast when played single player.

99% of people are going to credit feed beat'em ups, beat them once or twice and never play them again.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish we got these deals up in Canada. These things are stupid expensive up here.

The simpsons is $800....

Oh well, I have my ALU, and am teetering on buying an ALP

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So is Walmart.com supposed to show if the discount is actually there, or do you have to go to the store and they are discounting it there only?
Experience with ANY Wal-Mart discounts you see in Brickseek: check the WM site to verify stock, but also double check the price, because usually the web store will let you order it for pickup, but the pricing won't be the local pricing, just the "corporate" pricing. Just use the store to double verify stock, then go pick it up in person.

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm gonna pick up The Simpsons one. Can it be modded to add other games like XMen, TMNT, and NBA Jam?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna pick up The Simpsons one. Can it be modded to add other games like XMen, TMNT, and NBA Jam?
You can't just drop them on, if you are going to mod one of these cabinets it's going to require significantly more work (setting up a raspberry pi, getting an LCD controller, replacing and likely adding buttons)

Totally worth it, but it's certainly a decent amount of work and parts.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP! Landed Simpsons AND Pacman for less than the original price of the Simpsons by itself.

PXL_20220418_153303357.MP.jpg

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
You can't just drop them on, if you are going to mod one of these cabinets it's going to require significantly more work (setting up a raspberry pi, getting an LCD controller, replacing and likely adding buttons)

Totally worth it, but it's certainly a decent amount of work and parts.
Hmm yeah that's probably more work than I am in for. Shoot that's too bad.

Appreciate the info. Super helpful!!

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I got the OG Pac-Man forever ago as a Christmas gift for the kids. Kept meaning to mod it and eventually got the Legends Pro and put what I wanted on that.

Got the Marvel countercade when it went on sale around Christmas and that's been fun. I'd jump on a Capcom cocktail cab.