• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
Arcys doesn't seem to be handling anything outside the visuals and music of this game well. Not even the gameplay which I hear most people hated based on the beta.
From what I get, consensus is that in a vacuum, the game is pretty solid with some issues, but as a GG game, it feels way too limited and straightforward outside of the new RC system.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Not having PC crossplay isn't surprising after that fighting game round table where they said it's something they'd like to have but things outside of the dev team makes it difficult.

It's a shame, but it won't hurt the game much really.

Sep 7, 2020
Not having PC crossplay isn't surprising after that fighting game round table where they said it's something they'd like to have but things outside of the dev team makes it difficult.

I disagree about not hurting the game. Fighting games are already niche to being with and not allowing cross-play with PC only dampens the likelihood of getting matches and long-term engagement. The GG series is also fairly niche so it will definitely impact the game months down the road. I don't know how it can be argued otherwise. If you don't have as many players in the pool to play with and it takes forever to get a match then that is not helping the game.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I've probably asked at some point, but are cross-network compatibility layers a thing? Like, could you do the network equivalent of Proton / WINE, but instead of compatibility with a different OS, it could make PC servers appear as PSN servers and enable playing together without the devs explicitly creating crossplay?

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Not having rollback and crossplay with PC may be fine if you're a big franchise like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Dragon Ball...

For the smaller titles wanting to grow, it may as well be now a "I give up" sign. Welcome to the Strive discord I guess ^^. Ah, and let's continue the dumb lobby system trend, because it will attract even more players, yeah for accessibility.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Every time devs hobble their PC release with lack of features, no cross-play/save/buy, and bad ports which then leads to bad sales and low playerbase which they use an excuse on their next game to not support it better.

ArcSys has gotten better at putting their Fighting Games on PC, but it's still dissapointing to see them move so slowly for such widely requested features that are more and more becoming the norm

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arcade sticks still in limbo I see

blog.playstation.com

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Information on DualShock 4, PS VR, officially licensed peripherals, and more.

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.

How so?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
KI definitely feels indie and low-budget in some ways despite MS publishing, especially season 3 and on, but I couldn't think of a third example until somebody pointed out FEXL. It's fixed now.
If FEXL can do crossplay no (fighting) game has any excuse not to. That game's budget is probably something like 3 yen, yet they still managed to put out a decent number of free characters and keep updating it.
Such a pity Strive is going down this path, but I can't say I'm all that surprised...

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Big publishers need to stop making excuses when freakin' indie fighters like Fantasy Strike can produce rollback + true crossplay on their limited budget.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Well hopefully if we keep complaining it'll happen as a later update. Crossplay should be mandatory for all fighting games now that have a decent budget and Rollback just mandatory in general. Having rollback is going to help pc out a ton though when the population starts thinning out.The biggiest barrier was that when the population gets lower you end up finding less people directly in your region or various times of day, but with rollback having a poll that can even tap into bits of europe is going to help a ton. I put crossplay in the survey when I did the beta. If there is another beta survey I'll add crossplay again lol.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid as hell, but I can't say I expected anything different.

At least we got roll-back this time, huh? One victory at a time.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers, Fantasy Strike and FEXL are orders of magnitude smaller than Guilty Gear and every single one has full crossplay. ASW has no excuse here.
There is absolutely zero excuse indeed.

It's nonsense to even attempt to mount a defense for this shit.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree about not hurting the game. Fighting games are already niche to being with and not allowing cross-play with PC only dampens the likelihood of getting matches and long-term engagement. The GG series is also fairly niche so it will definitely impact the game months down the road. I don't know how it can be argued otherwise. If you don't have as many players in the pool to play with and it takes forever to get a match then that is not helping the game.
I said wouldn't hurt it much. PC isn't a big amount of added players.

Though it does hurt PC players, the game will be fine on consoles.

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Just to clarify this point because it's badly worded:

"A. The PS4 version can be played on the PS5 using the system's backwards compatibility. However, it will perform the same as the PS4 version (with a maximum resolution of 1080p)."

Means:

PS4 version will run how the PS4 version normally runs, even when played on PS5. If you want PS5 benefits, get the PS5 version.

They should have wrote: "it will perform the same as when played on a PS4."

If you buy the game for PS4. You also get the PS5 version for free as well. So you wont be playing the PS4 version on your PS5 when it comes out. The confirmed this recently.

Form to send requests to devs; Please ask ASW to reconsider!
OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
Since the players managed to nag rollback into the game, let's see if we can do the same with crossplay.

Xotl5O6.png

The form is here, everybody please send them a ton of requests so they seriously consider doing it. Even if it took until a bit after launch to implement, that would be better than nothing.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Since the players managed to nag rollback into the game, let's see if we can do the same with crossplay.

The form is here, everybody please send them a ton of requests so they seriously consider doing it. Even if it took until a bit after launch to implement, that would be better than nothing.

Thanks for this. Sent them the form.
Was really excited for Strive, but the lobby system and now this are making it really hard to keep my interest up.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Why are Japanese fighting game developers like this??? Roll-back netcode and cross-play are incredibly important features for pretty much the entire western side of the communities. Its 2020! Gotta fuckin' beg for this shit every time.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck you, got mine?

If one platform is basically crippled you can't say the game isn't hurt "much".
I've been watching double standards get applied to Arcsys games for years. Things that are issues in so many other fighting games are suddenly the breaking point for supporting their's.

Yeah, it sucks PC won't have crossplay, and if that is someone's only way to play then that really sucks. But the game will live through it, just like every other game that lacks it.

Also PC is the only place getting +R with rollback, so it's in a better spot.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you buy the game for PS4. You also get the PS5 version for free as well. So you wont be playing the PS4 version on your PS5 when it comes out. The confirmed this recently.

That's correct. This was confirmed today in the same post this thread is about.

Doesn't mean you can't play the PS4 version on a PS5 though. Even if you buy digital, you can install the PS4 version if you want (for whatever reason). All they're saying is that if you run the PS4 version on a PS5, it won't have any additional benefits. So run the PS5 version on a PS5.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard enough getting them to do rollback, there was no way they were going to do crossplay which is arguably harder/more work. People setting themselves up for disappointment if they thought there was a realistic chance for it.

Like there's only 1 Japanese dev that I know of that has done it (Capcom), and it's not even that good.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018

It will absolutely hurt the game lol, less players in the matchmaking pool will lead to a worse experience

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
It's hard enough getting them to do rollback, there was no way they were going to do crossplay which is arguably harder/more work. People setting themselves up for disappointment if they thought there was a realistic chance for it.

Like there's only 1 dev that I know of that has done it (Capcom), and it's not even that good.

How do games like Power Rangers BFTG get to do full crossplay and rollback then?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
How do games like Power Rangers BFTG get to do full crossplay and rollback then?

Not saying it's not impossible or out of the realm. But when we're pulling teeth just to get rollback, don't be surprised when it's even harder to get them to do crossplay.

I assume since Rangers is on Unity there's better tools for it too.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Xotl5O6.png

I've already sent this form before this news hit but I'll do it again

Like there's only 1 dev that I know of that has done it (Capcom), and it's not even that good.

There's Power Rangers, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat XI (although only between Xbox and PS4 which is weird), FEXL, Fantasy Strike and they're all great. All of those have rollback netcode too.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's basically what I gathered from that quote. I'd imagine that they saved any resolution upgrades (Ex: Native 4K) for the PS5 version. Though it's a shame that the PS4 Pro won't go up to, say, 1440p going by that wording.

Did any recent Arc Sys fighter even have a PS4 Pro patch?

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Are there any fighting game devs here on Era? Can any of you guys enlighten us on why cross play is such a bad, or at least non-idealistic, idea?

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying it's not impossible or out of the realm. But when we're pulling teeth just to get rollback, don't be surprised when it's even harder to get them to do crossplay.

I assume since Rangers is on Unity there's better tools for it too.
Fighting EX Layer has been testing crossplay for a while and that's on UE4.
There's Power Rangers, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat XI (although only between Xbox and PS4 which is weird), FEXL, Skullgirls, Fantasy Strike and they're all great. All of those have rollback netcode too.
SG does not have crossplay afaik and FEXL doesn't have it yet.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
So you get free ps5 upgrade when you buy the ps4 version.

seems no brainer to buy ps4 version and not the ps5 version, if you are playing on console.

Sep 7, 2020

Xotl5O6.png

I just completed my form with my gripes about cross-play and about the lobby system. I hope they take this to heart and allow cross-play, I want to play with my PC bros/sisters.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any fighting game devs here on Era? Can any of you guys enlighten us on why cross play is such a bad, or at least non-idealistic, idea?
Yeah, this is something I'd like to hear more on. Outside of a handful of games, getting crossplay between consoles and PC set up seems to be a pretty wide issue in fighting games.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Starting to wish Ubisoft would backroll some fighting games so we wouldn't have to put up with this shit.

They already made For Honor and it was quite successful. The FGC didn't care because the game is too different from traditional fighters, but if they make another one it'll probably be in the same style.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Not a dev, so I might be talking out my ass here. But for crossplay to work you need your own user system to bridge all the platform User systems (PSN/Xbox/Steam etc). Basically they have to make make their own mini PSN. Not incredibly complicated or anything, but it's a lot of extra overhead when those systems already exist on each platform separately.

So the question comes down to spending time and money developing/testing/maintaining your own user system or using the pre-existing ones which one of their purposes was to keep devs from re-inventing the wheel with their own user systems.

Last edited:

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Already killed it for me, unfortunately the series is not popular enough to sustain a good playerbase on PC alone.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said wouldn't hurt it much. PC isn't a big amount of added players.

Though it does hurt PC players, the game will be fine on consoles.

I've come to find out if a fighting game is dead on PC it's pretty much dead on every other platform as well. That's why cross platform play should be a thing.

Niche fighting games are niche everywhere.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid as hell, but I can't say I expected anything different.

At least we got roll-back this time, huh? One victory at a time.

Eh, we got rollback which allows a much broader search around the globe for quality matches and yet arcsys squander this with their dumb lobby floor system segregating the userbase =(

Why are Japanese fighting game developers like this??? Roll-back netcode and cross-play are incredibly important features for pretty much the entire western side of the communities. Its 2020! Gotta fuckin' beg for this shit every time.

It feels like the moment you stop holding their hands they immediately go to reach the shotgun in the drawer to shoot their foot. Got to give them tons of feedback and hope for the best.