• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
According to a pre-order FAQ on their page, Arc System Works has finally outright confirmed that there will only be crossplay between the PS4 and PS5 versions of Guilty Gear Strive, but not the Steam version of the game.

Q. Is cross-play (matchmaking) between platforms possible?

A. We are planning to implement cross-play between PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions. There will not be support for cross-play with the arcade and Steam versions.

This adds another tick to the list of incentives the PC version of the game loses for no good reason at all. That means by choosing one platform over the others for your $85 game, you lose:
  1. Cross-platform compatibility, which means you also probably lose:
  2. A healthy playerbase a few months after launch, meaning this game will quickly turn into Xrd's situation where you'll have to hunt down the one lobby of 5 or so people that your region is playing in (if you have one with other players)
  3. Beta access (and one day early access to said beta), because no console has ever been datamined before.
  4. 3 days early access to the game, see point above
  5. Ultimate Edition, including artbook and soundtrack, which is especially odd because ASW has released those before on other Steam games
All in all, as excited as I am for this game, it's looking harder and harder to justify buying it without a significant discount and other friends buying it so I know I'll be able to play it if I ever want to.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point I'm surprised Strive is getting a PC port day and date with consoles.

ASW doesn't give a shit.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Arc System Works said:
Q. Is crossplay (matchmaking) between platforms possible?
A. We are planning to implement crossplay between PS4 and PS5 versions. There will not be support for crossplay with the arcade and Steam versions.

Q. Are the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game different?
A. The game's content is the same. There are differences based on the system specs, such as the resolution and load times, however.

Q. Is it possible to play the PS4 version on the PS5? Will there be any differences in that situation?
A. The PS4 version can be played on the PS5 using the system's backwards compatibility. However, it will perform the same as the PS4 version (with a maximum resolution of 1080p).

Q. Is it possible to upgrade to the PS5 version after buying the PS4 version?
A. Customers who purchase the retail version for PlayStation 4 can upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for no extra charge.
(Customers who purchase the retail edition will not be able to upgrade for the PS5 Digital Edition console, as it has no disk drive.)
Also, customers who purchase the digital version for the PS4 from the PlayStation Store will be able to download the PS5 version for no extra charge.

Q. Is It possible to use an arcade stick for the PS4 while playing the PS5 version of the game?
A. We cannot answer or guarantee functionality for any individual products. Read more on this topic below.
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ns-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

There are a few more questions that are answered on the website, so check the link for those (but they're mainly details already covered once before). As for the tag-team mode that was said to be PS5-only...

Sources: Guilty Gear, Anime FGC News (Twitter)

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This stings and will continue to sting until they finally cave and add it in. If we're lucky it'll be added whenever Strive receives a big Season 2 or Season 3 update.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
For fuck sake. I thought Crossplay would start improving more and more as we move into a new generation.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Idiots man

Fighting games need crossplay more than any other game

Alchemist

Oct 25, 2017
Another Discord fighter.

Expected, since I'm sure this would have been one of the first announcements.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It sucks that PC always seems to get excluded of these things when it's arguably the platform that needs it the most

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised but still. At least it has rollback so baby steps. They could always add crossplay in a season 2 but their games always struggle with playerbase and this is literally the way to solve it.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It's like arcsys is looking out at every opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot whenever possible. I was hopeful that Strive would be the breakout title for Arcsys following DBFZ but I have zero hope now, it's going to be another niche fighter after 2 months.

Sep 7, 2020
What a strange decision given that this is a fighting game that 1. lacks a huge community to begin with, 2. has a weird matchmaking system that detracts from actually doing the thing most people want to do which is to just hop into games, 3. Is not a well known franchise outside of the fighting game community, and 4. Could use a boost in player population to assist with generating continual interest and play long after launch. I plan on getting this game because I love fighting games but I could easily see this game dying within 4 months after launch. The decisions really make no sense to my feeble brain I guess.

Feb 15, 2019
It's even worse for EU. At least in NA the console version would always have more people than the pc version but it's way closer in EU (and less people playing in total on both too), meaning I have no idea which version to really choose since both are probably gonna be dead fast. Might as well either not buy it or just use it as a Discord fighter from day 1.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Was super interested to play this series for the first time since they announced rollback netcode and it looks spectacular, but nah fam I ain't paying for no online service just for one game, they can piss off with this shit

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify this point because it's badly worded:

"A. The PS4 version can be played on the PS5 using the system's backwards compatibility. However, it will perform the same as the PS4 version (with a maximum resolution of 1080p)."

Means:

PS4 version will run how the PS4 version normally runs, even when played on PS5. If you want PS5 benefits, get the PS5 version.

They should have wrote: "it will perform the same as when played on a PS4."

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
That was going to happen even if everything went right.
Rollback netcode + install base that's over twice as large (relative to usual PC playerbase) would probably have changed that. You can still find Xrd matches on PC now, you just have to look for a player lobby in your region that is active. In NA East, that's not too hard to find one or two lobbies, but for other regions, I doubt that's reasonable.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

"A. The PS4 version can be played on the PS5 using the system's backwards compatibility. However, it will perform the same as the PS4 version (with a maximum resolution of 1080p)."

Means:

PS4 version will run how the PS4 version normally runs, even when played on PS5. If you want PS5 benefits, get the PS5 version.

That's basically what I gathered from that quote. I'd imagine that they saved any resolution upgrades (Ex: Native 4K) for the PS5 version. Though it's a shame that the PS4 Pro won't go up to, say, 1440p going by that wording.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
That was going to happen even if everything went right.
Dunno, DBFZ has put a lot of eyeballs on them now, they are way more known than before. Strive is also designed to welcome newcomers at least in theory. If they'd stick the landing with a competent modern UI with zero friction toward getting matches like any online service game (valorant, league of legends, dota2, rainbow six siege, etc) instead of lobbies, crossplay, online tournaments, etc etc I really think they would have gone at least SFV/Tekken tier

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why do they even bother with a PC version if theres no crossplay? Without crossplay the PC versions die after the first few months.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
aww yiss, looking forward to not buying this on PC cause I don't wanna play the dead version and then not buying it at all for years!

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Not even worth any pc player's time. Mfw the small ass team behind power rangers manages to make a competent fighting game from the get go, release on basically all consoles, AND have full blown cross play on their limited budget and this $60 game cant do cross play. 🥴 they got me fucked up

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
In this case, why would you ever buy the PS5 retail version and why no cross play with PC?
I guess for those who want the PS5 disc. If you mean arcade stick compatibility, we already know via Sony that PS4 sticks will work on the PS5. So it'll be more of a question of if you want DualShock 4 controllers to work & if you're willing to sacrifice native 4K to do that (which would be more of a question for tournament organizers once the pandemic is properly dealt with).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Rollback netcode + install base that's over twice as large (relative to usual PC playerbase) would probably have changed that. You can still find Xrd matches on PC now, you just have to look for a player lobby in your region that is active. In NA East, that's not too hard to find one or two lobbies, but for other regions, I doubt that's reasonable.

Rollback would help retain the player base, but the people who would be willing to buy and play Guilty Gear would be about the same as it's always been.

Despite how pretty 'everyone' said Xrd was, it certainly didn't translate to sales.

Dunno, DBFZ has put a lot of eyeballs on them now, they are way more known than before. Strive is also designed to welcome newcomers at least in theory. If they'd stick the landing with a competent modern UI with zero friction toward getting matches like any online service game (valorant, league of legends, dota2, rainbow six siege, etc) instead of lobbies, crossplay, online tournaments, etc etc I really think they would have gone at least SFV/Tekken tier

People who buy DBFZ did it because it was DB, that's not going to translate to Guilty Gear.

Guilty Gear is weird.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Rollback would help retain the player base, but the people who would be willing to buy and play Guilty Gear would be about the same as it's always been.

Despite how pretty 'everyone' said Xrd was, it certainly didn't translate to sales.

People who buy DBFZ did it because it was DB, that's not going to translate to Guilty Gear.

Guilty Gear is weird.

I didn't say the DBFZ playerbase would transfer over. I said the huge success of DBZ has made them known as a studio in the first place.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Means:

BUT, if I understand it correctly, why would you use the PS4 version on PS5 when you can "upgrade for free" to the PS5 version and run that. Seems like if you get it digital, you should get it on PS4 so you can have more systems to play it on?
EDIT
Also the 3 day early access doesn't even have all the characters unlocked LOL, you gotta wait 3 days for Anji and the last character.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
I guess for those who want the PS5 disc. If you mean arcade stick compatibility, we already know via Sony that PS4 sticks will work on the PS5. So it'll be more of a question of if you want DualShock 4 controllers to work & if you're willing to sacrifice native 4K to do that (which would be more of a question for tournament organizers once the pandemic is properly dealt with).
I mean because you can upgrade the PS4 disc to PS5 version, but you can't go backwards. Also, the not letting DS4's work on PS5 games is looking stupid in this case when it's literally the same game. Should have been a dev decision.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
BUT, if I understand it correctly, why would you use the PS4 version on PS5 when you can "upgrade for free" to the PS5 version and run that. Seems like if you get it digital, you should get it on PS4 so you can have more systems to play it on?
If you mean why buy the PS5 version digitally when you can buy the PS4 version & get both, you raise a good point.

I mean because you can upgrade the PS4 disc to PS5 version, but you can't go backwards. Also, the not letting DS4's work on PS5 games is looking stupid in this case when it's literally the same game. Should have been a dev decision.
Yeah, I wish they let the devs decide regarding DS4s working on PS5.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
This is dumb as fuck but I'm still getting the PC version. Won't have their dumb shit dissuade me from buying the version I want.