• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
so what they're trying to say is that, Pritzker's shelter-in-place order, by preventing people from going to work, is the sign of Nazi policies, therefore Pritzker is Hitler, therefore he thinks, "Arbeit Mach Frei" or something like that?

Like, they're using these phrases to be ironic, as if they're trying to play 10-D chess, but it's not ironic, it's stupid, and they're playing stupid chess.

and of course, anytime you have to say "I have Jewish friends" means you're not doing the right thing!
The term "lynch mobs" is used to defend racists, "witch hunts" to defend sexists, and so on. Even if they have nothing else, victims get to claim that they're victims, and so abusers want to be able to steal that power for themselves. It's why Neo-Nazis love to claim white genocide; Jewish people do it and they figure that it seems to work out for them, so the Nazis try to get in on that action (without having to deal with the actual horrific oppression of course).

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't even make sense in context if the objective was to make a concentration camp reference so I'm going to guess this is an idiotic way to compare the people that ordered the lockdown with nazis

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just so there is no extra confusion as to what this could refer to, the woman wrote the letter B upside down in the sign. Throughout history, the phrase has appeared a few times outside of Nazi connotations, but the letter B being upside down is explicitly a reference to Auschwitz. This is because they forced Jewish slaves who were master blacksmiths to make the sign. In an act of defiance, the jewish slaves placed the B upside down, effectively ruining the sign (although it was still hung). "Arbeit macht frei" with an upside down B can only ever refer to Auschwitz.

This woman very, very clearly knew the history of what she was writing. Like, down to the "fun facts" that many people don't know.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Absolute trash, the lot of them.

Can't even imagine how worse this would be if we still had Rauner.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
You have to wonder how red Illinois would be without Chicago. Chicago is probably the sole reason Illinois isn't another Wisconsin or Indiana.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
"Fun-fact", I grew up in the NW suburbs of Chicago and one of the football coaches of my high school (that's pretty big and is/was well known in Illinois) posted this same thing all the players' lockers once. Although I think it was in English, how nice of him. Pretty sure the dude is still there and makes an obscene amount of money too.
Jesus, what high school was this?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
image.png

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well highland park and deerfield split into cook. The other ones kind of. When you take Waukegan, zion, gurnee, mundelein, etc into account though, it balances it out.
Vernon Hills is also pretty rich! All those goddamn mansions in Greg's Landing.

But yeah noting compares to Lake Forest.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
This Sentence is older than the concentration camp and was used in a passive aggressive way most of the time and now carries a somewhat bad taste with it like "Jedem das seine". If you drop one of those both sentences you get some concerned looks in Germany most of the time.

Her intentions with that sign are clear though, you just don't walk around with a sign with this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Sentence is older than the concentration camp

Just so there is no extra confusion as to what this could refer to, the woman wrote the letter B upside down in the sign. Throughout history, the phrase has appeared a few times outside of Nazi connotations, but the letter B being upside down is explicitly a reference to Auschwitz. This is because they forced Jewish slaves who were master blacksmiths to make the sign. In an act of defiance, the jewish slaves placed the B upside down, effectively ruining the sign (although it was still hung). "Arbeit macht frei" with an upside down B can only ever refer to Auschwitz.

This woman very, very clearly knew the history of what she was writing. Like, down to the "fun facts" that many people don't know.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
The term "lynch mobs" is used to defend racists, "witch hunts" to defend sexists, and so on. Even if they have nothing else, victims get to claim that they're victims, and so abusers want to be able to steal that power for themselves. It's why Neo-Nazis love to claim white genocide; Jewish people do it and they figure that it seems to work out for them, so the Nazis try to get in on that action (without having to deal with the actual horrific oppression of course).
I agree completely, and even if these protesters act angry, it still all feels like a bad-faith joke. Just trolling the rest of America, and inparticular those who take these kinds of comments seriously.

Sartre said it best:

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the "I have ____ friends" defense. You know that makes it worse right? Shows you're capable of dehumanizing a group of people you know personally and not just through stereotypes.

Mett

Oct 29, 2017
Literal shitbags. Shame they are wearing masks and we can't expose their identities.

Oct 26, 2017
I agree completely, and even if these protesters act angry, it still all feels like a bad-faith joke. Just trolling the rest of America, and inparticular those who take these kinds of comments seriously.

Sartre said it best:

That last line is so true, every time I get into with someone about Trump they just fall silent eventually and literally throw their hands up and just "whatever" it away.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I see Nazis in America, I truly feel sad for those young American souls who gave their lives fighting the Nazis during WW2. Young US soldiers died only for this to happen.
Eh, Nazism was pretty popular in the US prior to WWII fully starting. There is a reason the US stayed out of the war until Pearl Harbor.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
For further backstory, JB refers to Governor J.B. Pritzker, who is Jewish. He also heads the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center, and his family fled the Nazis during WWII, which is how they came to the US in the first place.
God, this is just awful. Had no idea what J.B. was referring to so thanks for clarifying that. Might make sense to add this to the OP actually.

At any rate, fuck Nazis and fuck Trump's government for enabling them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
God, this is just awful. Had no idea what J.B. was referring to so thanks for clarifying that. Might make sense to add this to the OP actually.

At any rate, fuck Nazis and fuck Trump's government for enabling them.
What makes it worse is that Pritzker has been fighting against Trump and the gop as much anyone in this situation and has handled it as good as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I will use this thread to remind you that the phrase "to each their own" in German "jedem das seine" ist also used in concentration camps.

220px-Fotothek_df_ps_0006120_Denkm%C3%A4ler_-_Denkmale_-_Ehrenm%C3%A4ler_-_Ehrenmale_%5E_Ereignisd.jpg

Prisoners in Buchenwald could read this at the main gate looking out of the camp.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you implying the US did not officially enter the war because Nazis were 'pretty popular' in the US?
I'm saying that plenty of the folks in power in the US prior to WWII didn't have much of a problem with Nazism, and that defeating Nazism was not the primary motivator behind the US entering WWII.

Nazi sympathizers hosted rallies attended by thousands all over the US at the time. The racist, bigoted ideology was appealing to many in the US, because this country has racism and bigotry at its core. People forget that when they make statements about "how US soldiers died fighting the Nazis, how could this happen here?" It was always here, and has never gone away.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm saying that plenty of the folks in power in the US prior to WWII didn't have much of a problem with Nazism, and that defeating Nazism was not the primary motivator behind the US entering WWII.

Nazi sympathizers hosted rallies attended by thousands all over the US at the time. The racist, bigoted ideology was appealing to many in the US, because this country has racism and bigotry at its core. People forget that when they make statements about "how US soldiers died fighting the Nazis, how could this happen here?" It was always here, and has never gone away.
Was it that popular? I've seen german american bund stuff from the time but I've also seen them getting counter protested pretty hard.

Also I'd say defeating German expansion (and shipping lane harassment) was getting to be pretty high up on motivations for entering but you're right in that it wasn't the more heinous stuff Nazis were doing.

Deleted member 9840

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying nazism, account in junior phase
Cmon guys

They're not Nazis...you cant just call everyone that uses words, themes, symbols, speech, rhetoric, mannerisms of Nazis....all Nazis, that dissolves the definition of what a Nazi is!

I am tired of this as well, because it derails arguments. See Reductio ad Hitlerum. I am not American and not commenting on this protest in Illinois, but it's clear to me that the protesters make use of shock advertising, which is "the employment of graphic imagery to highlight a public policy issue".

Apr 25, 2020
Nobody at that protest had any idea what that sentence really meant. They just knew it was anti-semitic because it was located at Auschwitz.