• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I'm seeing the film for the visuals, even though I heard the plot is messy & has horrible dialogue.
It's a feast. I honestly don't think neither Marvel Studios or anyone else elevated the genre as much as Aquaman when it comes to the visual spectacle and insane action scenes. Wan throws the gauntlet in that sense, and I absolutely love Gunn's Guardians, but this is next level stuff. Very polished visual effects at the service of a run of the mill origin story, but one with an actual beating heart, just like Wonder Woman and the Marvel Studios films so far.

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw it. Holy shit what a mess of a movie. It's kinda in-between being bad and good. It's entertaining but also pretty cringe-worthy in parts and the plot/characters are super generic.

CGI darts between good and awful at a moment's notice, the romance and "humour" is frequently embarrassing and the tone wavers from scene to scene. There are some super weird choices like
a scene where Mera is given red roses in Italy and thinks they're food so eats them
and a scene where
Black Manta suits up to a Depeche Mode song LMAO

It just feels like a committee-made movie apart from the action which actually feels like Wan.

It was better than Justice League but I would say temper your expectations. It's clearly pandering to the biggest international audience possible with the most flat, laid-out plot and exposition possible.
This isn't the first time a DC product had Depeche Mode attached to it funny enough

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it. Holy shit what a mess of a movie. It's kinda in-between being bad and good. It's entertaining but also pretty cringe-worthy in parts and the plot/characters are super generic.

CGI darts between good and awful at a moment's notice, the romance and "humour" is frequently embarrassing and the tone wavers from scene to scene. There are some super weird choices like
a scene where Mera is given red roses in Italy and thinks they're food so eats them
and a scene where
Black Manta suits up to a Depeche Mode song LMAO

It just feels like a committee-made movie apart from the action which actually feels like Wan.

It was better than Justice League but I would say temper your expectations. It's clearly pandering to the biggest international audience possible with the most flat, laid-out plot and exposition possible.

I thought her red hair and the
flower eating scene were supposed to be homages to the Little Mermaid, like how dumb she is to think a fork is for combing hair

Anyway I agree with most of what you said, the movie was cheesy and dumb but I think it was also mostly entertaining and fun, which is why I think it is the best DC movie so far (others too dark and serious), and better than much of the MCU (too bloated and pointless, no stakes...). The special effects were definitely hit and miss but overall were pretty good, and when they were bad they were funny, which to me is a good thing. Better bad and cheesy like the other parts of the movie than just simply bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it and I thought it was a surprisingly nice movie. Along with Wonder Woman easily the best DC movie in years. It's a shame they all can't be as fun.

Really enjoyed the world they created here, the special effects, the action scenes and even though the story may be nothing incredibly special I did enjoy it.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Meet the NEW big THREE! haha what a world!

795321.png

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Aquaman is basically an Uncharted movie, but cheesier.

It's a good popcorn flick where you don't ask too many questions. It revels in it.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Saw this today too, morning show.

Liked it, definitely best DCU movie after WW. Miles and Miles better than MoS, Justice League and BvS.

Should have probably cut the length by 15 odd minutes IMO, I thought Mamoa played the part of being a blunt force object fine. Amber Heard was gorgeous. Should have used William Dafoe more. Black Manta was good too.

Chaitanya

Dec 23, 2017
Loved it! Most fun i had watching a DC movie, even more than WW. James Wan is the man! Exposition apart, the action and visuals are fantastic. Can't wait for part 2!.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just saw it. Had a great time. Not surprised at all it opened huge in China, this is very much like Avatar - an internationally relateable blockbuster with great colorful visuals and art direction, a message of unity and environmentalism, revenge, family, and black and white heroism without complicated politics or any moral ambiguity. It's straight up oldschool feel good comic book good vs evil with a massive amount of cheese, but kickass direction and awesome cinematography. Solid creature designs too.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The Trench and the final duel were probably the best parts of the movie where it felt like comic book covers and panels coming to life on screen, but for me the highlight of the entire film is the Italy set piece. The way the camera zoomed between the different fights seamlessly was so cool in terms of communicating geography in the choreography of the fights, and it also made for damn good cinematography.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Those three things you mention was what I enjoyed the most as well. How the Italy piece was shot was so sweet. And I was doing my best Banderas impression at that fight you mention.

Last edited:

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Cheese goodness, but a little bloated. Patrick Wilson went full ham and made an forgettable antagonist one of the most interesting roles (if only to see how far he would push it next).

Personal best part about this movie was how they kept ending conversations by blowing everyone up. It must have happened at least six times. I was cracking up.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. Had a great time. Not surprised at all it opened huge in China, this is very much like Avatar - an internationally relateable blockbuster with great colorful visuals and art direction, a message of unity and environmentalism, revenge, family, and black and white heroism without complicated politics or any moral ambiguity. It's straight up oldschool feel good comic book good vs evil with a massive amount of cheese, but kickass direction and awesome cinematography. Solid creature designs too.

Damn, now I'm really hype

Oct 27, 2017
The World

Yea, Italy set piece from the intro till the end was just amazingly done. Mera also plays her role so well in it.

So, get rid of Batman and Superman and the new DCU is actually good?

Just remove BvS and it's decent.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. James Wan did it. Aquaman was a blast. Gave me some real God of War and Uncharted vibes at times. The directing was on fucking point, that trench scene, wow.

OP
OP
ZattMurdock

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
More 4 negative reviews added to Rotten Tomatoes made the score dip to 71% with a 6.2 average score. While it could below 70%, I still think that the film can go for high 70s / low 80s when the USA reviews come, the film is just too spectacular driven to not stay fresh.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
70%, 6.2. Yeesh. It's just over 100 reviews now, we still got a couple hundred left to go. But there's only 14 Top Critics reviews right now, and they tend to be more critical of capeshit than most outlets - so it could drop even further into the 60s.

I'm not sure why Warner Bros. was so intent on dropping reviews early. It might actually hurt its domestic chances like this. Parents are going to weigh Spider-Verse's 97% versus its 70.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
70%, 6.2. Yeesh. It's just over 100 reviews now, we still got a couple hundred left to go. But there's only 14 Top Critics reviews right now, and they tend to be more critical of capeshit than most outlets - so it could drop even further into the 60s.

I'm not sure why Warner Bros. was so intent on dropping reviews early. It might actually hurt its domestic chances like this. Parents are going to weigh Spider-Verse's 97% versus its 70.

I don't think it'll matter. It'll get the fresh stamp and there you go. Parent's will take their kids to whatever they want to see.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Judging from people's posts in the Spider-Verse RT thread, it doesn't seem like the casual crowd even cares for this spidey. A few posts about half empty screens and worse.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still watching this on Thursday, but I admit, I have much less interest after watching Spider-Man. I know one is animated and stuff but goddamn what a superhero movie. I hope this is at least entertaining.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Parents are going to weigh Spider-Verse's 97% versus its 70.
Said no one ever. Do you really think any parents thinking of making a family outing is going to base that on some RT score? Lol.
I'm still watching this on Thursday, but I admit, I have much less interest after watching Spider-Man. I know one is animated and stuff but goddamn what a superhero movie. I hope this is at least entertaining.
Not sure why it's a competition. They're completely different types of films. I saw Spidey on Monday and Aqua on Friday. Both surpassed my expectations for what they were. Spidey is like Mark of the Ninja, Aquaman is like Uncharted 2.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the -20% handicap for not being a disney or marvel movie it's not that bad. Critics will always be biased, maybe WB will invest some of the money they are making on this movie to persuade critics like disney does.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Judging from people's posts in the Spider-Verse RT thread, it doesn't seem like the casual crowd even cares for this spidey. A few posts about half empty screens and worse.

Yeah, but that A+ Cinemascore bodes well for a 6+ multiplier. With luck, $250m domestic and that is a good enough result.

I don't understand why people preface reactions to Spider-Verse with disclaimers like this. Does it feel less 'legitimate' as a movie or god forbid a superhero flick (lol) just because it's animated?

Said no one ever. Do you really think any parents thinking of making a family outing is going to base that on some RT score? Lol.

Actually, yes.

The trend has been a boon to Rotten Tomatoes. Thirty-six percent of U.S. moviegoers check the site's reviews often before seeing a film, compared with 28% in 2014, according to box office tracking firm National Research Group. Nearly half of moviegoers aged 25 to 44 are regulars.

Status
Not open for further replies.