• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Can someone spoil the mid credits scene? I'll be going this week to see it, but I am not keen on sitting around for mid and after credits scenes.
Black Manta is found floating on some wood debris by Randall Park's character in the Indian Ocean. Park's character helps him recover and tells Manta that he'll help him get Aquaman if Manta helps him find Atlantis.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mediocre at best? lol come on now. This is a bit too hot of a take even for Era.

Even posters who have watched the film are saying the same thing in this very thread. Also, I've followed the Double Toasted guys since 2007 and trust them when it comes to movies. Their review of Aquaman is pretty damn scathing.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Hot takes" is handed out like Oprah nowadays. Movie really was mediocre. It maybe excelled at action but nothing special elsewhere.
It most definitely had some of the best cinematography of the year. The cuts and camera control are one thing, but most definitely how artistic and beautiful some of the scenes were. You can take at least a dozen stills from that movie that would look like works of art. I can't think of any other movie this year that even come close.

And I find it funny that you say it "excelled" at the action when I'd argue aside from the dialogue that was almost the furthest from a highlight with the exception of two sequences in particular.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but I'm really interested in seeing how this film holds up down the line. The general reception is reminding me of when Avatar was released where a lot of people praised the visuals and overall spectacle, but few years later look back on it as generally mediocre as a film.

Oct 30, 2017
So Bumblebee is way better according to reviews. Planning to watch a movie on boxing Day and it was between this and Bumblebee.

However I wasn't a fan of Transformers movies save for the first one stopped watching them so not sure what i should watch.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Saw it tonight in 3D IMAX, holy fuck it's loud and Wan loves interrupting quiet scenes with something always blowing up next to people's faces.
it was absolutely astonishing how often this happens during the movie lol, it's my new spotting oranges in the Godfather reference.

The movie was pretty fun though, it really doesn't even attempt to take itself seriously and it was kind of refreshing to see a comic book movie not care about being as comic book as possible.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
So Bumblebee is way better according to reviews. Planning to watch a movie on boxing Day and it was between this and Bumblebee.

However I wasn't a fan of Transformers movies save for the first one stopped watching them so not sure what i should watch.
As someone who has seen both and like you did not like previous 5 Transformers films my pick is Bumblebee. Aquaman is good but IMO Bumblebee is better.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Take it from me. Watched the first three Bayformers and liked each less than the last one with part 3 being unwatchable and made me skip 4 and 5 and yet.... and yet I LOVED Bumblebee. I mean it's no masterpiece but it's not only watchable, it's legitimately good as far as popcorn flicks go and easily the best of the Transformers movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got out of it. I have to say I actively hated it for the first 20 or so minutes but at a certain point I realized that the visual direction was actually really dope. Plus the underwater world that it created was really cool to me (the different kingdoms). Basically once I got over the script being high key T R A S H I actually had a lot of fun with it.

Also whoever was in charge of the licensed music needs to be fired. That pit bull remix of Africa and the weird slow romantic song that played during the Italy part were jarring as hell!

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017

Bumblebee tries harder than the old Transformers movies and is entirely competent. In terms of structure it is much more solid and has the most heart of the live action Transformers movies.

But solid is kinda dull and Bayformers is a low bar to clear.. The bizarre flashbang Avatar/Prequels style of visual shazam of Aquaman made it a more delightful experience. The plot and characters are much more haphazard but there's so much to look at.

... depending on what you value more.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'd agree but this thing is so close to slipping into rotten now, there's still so much untapped potential..
Man its like you're actively hoping for a shit show of a thread.

The BvS rt thread isn't happening again. Most people have seen the movie and gotten enjoyment from it. Dropping into rotten won't really change that or stop the film being a commercial success 🤷🏽‍♂️

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

The BvS rt thread isn't happening again. Most people have seen the movie and gotten enjoyment from it. Dropping into rotten won't really change that or stop the film being a commercial success 🤷🏽‍♂️
Funny enough it's rotten with top critics(49%) but yeah, I would be surprised if it drops anymore since reviews for it are pretty much done at this point.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Funny enough it's rotten with top critics(49%) but yeah, I would be surprised if it drops anymore since reviews for it are pretty much done at this point.

Looking at the audience score , A- CinemaScore and the general reaction here. The critics have it wrong this time , maybe the first time in dceu

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the audience score , A- CinemaScore and the general reaction here. The critics have it wrong this time , maybe the first time in dceu
Third time 😤😤😤

But yeah reading some negative reviews and they seemed well harsh on this one.

Reviews complaining about the CGI I disregarded straight away. It is glorious.

AINTneauxACID

Oct 27, 2017

Ppl like him/her <<<<< I value my account so I won't say what I want to.

Oct 30, 2017
Just got out of it. I have to say I actively hated it for the first 20 or so minutes but at a certain point I realized that the visual direction was actually really dope. Plus the underwater world that it created was really cool to me (the different kingdoms). Basically once I got over the script being high key T R A S H I actually had a lot of fun with it.

Also whoever was in charge of the licensed music needs to be fired. That pit bull remix of Africa and the weird slow romantic song that played during the Italy part were jarring as hell!
Yeah the pop music selections were just terrible and jarring. Felt like someone hit random on their Spotify.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Nah i hate suicide squad

I do really like BvS:UC and MoS though!

i think MoS is decent and pretty good during the early parts....up until superman became superman. Also certain parts made no sense at all even by movie logic (Pa Kent sacrificing himself to the tornado and stopping clark from saving him, The Kryptonian 'punishing' Zodd using space dick ships........by sending him off-planet before Krypton is going to be destroyed?)

BvS & UC.....i'm sorry, let's just agree to disagree then. Luthor's plan and motivation made no sense and there are many dialogue in it to create enough bad internet memes already :P

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
just got out of the movie it was trash. Who idea was it to put a explosion almost everywhere. i was expecting some scenes to have the obligatory explosion

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
i think MoS is decent and pretty good during the early parts....up until superman became superman. Also certain parts made no sense at all even by movie logic (Pa Kent sacrificing himself to the tornado and stopping clark from saving him, The Kryptonian 'punishing' Zodd using space dick ships........by sending him off-planet before Krypton is going to be destroyed?)

BvS & UC.....i'm sorry, let's just agree to disagree then. Luthor's plan and motivation made no sense and there are many dialogue in it to create enough bad internet memes already :P
Yeah man I've long since accepted I'm in a very small minority with this one 😂

There's some stupid shit in both movies but none of it offended me as much!

The problem is that reviews are either fresh or rotten.
Movies can be bad and fun, maybe there needs to be a "bad but fun" category.
I dunno man, I feel Aquaman is very far from being a remotely bad movie.

I can see the cheese being off putting. But I've also seen a reviewer go off in a few tweets about an octopus playing drums (for all of 5 seconds on screen).

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Call me...

tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg

OCEAN MASTER!

I thought it was okay. I found little to write home about. Music switching from epic orchestral to synth stuff was a bit jarring. Transitions for a few scenes were particularly funny (how many scenes of dialogue were interrupted by an explosion?). Whomever put the pop songs in the movie should be sunk 20,000 leagues (Pitbull included). Some dialogue didn't play so well. A scene later involving someone eating something they shouldn't have made me think it needed some Naked Gun soundtrack.

The CGI and stuff was pretty decent most of the time. Battles were fun (especially the big one). I like Amber Heard and Jason Mamoa. I enjoyed the sense of adventure and travel. I thought
entering the trench
was really neat. Some of the scenes could've been cut a lot shorter (Mara, you ran along those roofs for, what seems like, 3 full minutes).

Overall, 2/4. It's a pretty okay movie.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the movie more than all other DC movies save for Wonderwoman.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
At 20 pages in? lol, no, c'mon now.

It's just easier to dip into here now and again being as I use resetera daily than it is to remember to check RT every so often. I'm genuinely curious as to see if they DCEU can maintain a second fresh rating is all.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The script was one of the worst I have ever heard spoken on screen but my god the visuals were insane even if some of the underwater CGI talking was terrible. Mamoa was fucking great. This is my favorite DCEU movie by far even though Wonder Woman was much better written. I loved how anime it was at times. The ending was a glorious mess. Kidman and Dafriend put out one of their worst performances ever holy shit lol.

I feel like overall they did the character justice much more than they did Superman in MoS which was a garbage fire. I'm left wondering why Justice League looked so fucking bad visually when it had a higher budget but I guess those reshoots and CGI mouth inflated things.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It just needed more one-liners and more guitar riffs as Mamoa walks through mist and fog.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I thought that the 3D animation in this was pretty good. Unlike a lot of other movies, there was a lot of attention to detail, and there were so many little things on the screen at once that it felt like a surreal underwater world many a times.

Bumblebee just had a more straight-forward storyline.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just amazed they finally managed to make an Aquaman movie where Aquaman is legitimately bad ass and talking to fish is not a joke power. These two things seemed like impossible goals, and somehow Wan has done it. Everything else pales in comparison to those two achievements. Aquaman versus anyone is no longer a one-sided fight against him now this movie has shown what he's capable of. I mean, the movie was fine, and I enjoyed it, it's not high art, and it's definitely not up there with the Nolan Batman movies, but they made a movie about Aquaman that didn't have to be self-aware of how silly his powers were, and 100% leaned into, "This dude is powerful. He's not a joke hero."

Status
Not open for further replies.