• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'm shocked. I liked the movie for the most part, but I never expected it to blow up like this.

Is it due to lack of competition?

Considering there were even threads made how Aquaman needed to move dates because of the stacked competition in December (Poppins wassup?), nope. DC made a movie audiences loved, simple as that.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think Batman might not benefit too much from the rise of super hero movies if DC can't manage to push a well received more sci-fi or fantasy take on the character and his villains. A grounded Batman is inherently limited action-wise compared to other super hero blockbusters and wouldn't benefit as much from the modern cg. Of course, Batman is already a very big brand, so maybe it doesn't need to grow.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Warned: drive-by, trolling
You can taste the saltiness in some of the posts from the marvel stans.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Basically China right? Looks like unremarkable domestic numbers.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Lulz, I should have paid the $80 to meet mimoa, get a picture and autograph 2 years ago.

I doubt he is gonna do off brand comicons anymore.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Nah, it's not. Aquaman and TDKR are mediocre. I enjoyed Aquaman more, to be fair. Hyperbole would be if I were to call them "shit." Neither movie is bad. That's the hyperbole I "moan" about.

Keep trying to pick fights with me in threads though. It goes well.

You called them very mediocre though, which they're not. They're competently made films that clearly did something right else they wouldn't have made a billion. JL's failure, an actual very mediocre film, shows that audiences have no time to put up with DC's bullshit.

"It goes well" lmao Are...are you threatening me or something lol calm down

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's insane. I have no qualms against the movie, but it can't JUST be from the pull of the Aquaman character alone/mythos, can it? I imagine James Wan was an enormous name for international audiences after Furious 7.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be pretty funny if the next Batman movie is really good and what everyone wanted, but it makes far less than Aquaman or WW.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
That's insane. I have no qualms against the movie, but it can't JUST be from the pull of the Aquaman character alone/mythos, can it? I imagine James Wan was an enormous name for international audiences after Furious 7.

i mean epic fucking battles with people riding on sharks and krakens and shit, Atlantis is a setting people had never seen before on that scale. i think that's what butting the butts in seats.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish I could go back in time and tell my 10-years-younger self some of these facts.

"Yes, Justice League is going to be a colossal disappointment that'll be outgrossed by a wacky third Thor movie."
"What?!"
"Don't worry.... AQUAMAN is going to save DC movies and become their biggest hit ever."

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You called them very mediocre though, which they're not. They're competently made films that clearly did something right else they wouldn't have made a billion.

Poor logic. I guess Transformers: Age of Extinction is a a competently made film that did something right since it made a billion.

JL's failure, an actual very mediocre film

No, JL is a terrible film that, much like BvS, fails on almost every level of film making. I don't know why you've decided to argue with me over something as silly as this. JL is terrible, Aquaman is mediocre, Wonder Woman is great. (I have a feeling Shazam will also be great.)

"It goes well" lmao Are...are you threatening me or something lol calm down

... How in the world would I be threatening you? I have zero idea how you took it that way.

I'm not replying to you again here. PM me if you want to keep arguing. Otherwise, please stop trying to pick fights with me over nonsense.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
i mean epic fucking battles with people riding on sharks and krakens and shit, Atlantis is a setting people had never seen before on that scale. i think that's what butting the butts in seats.
Maybe, but to the point where it surpasses three of the most iconic superheroes of all time? I didn't know audiences were that thirsty for... water.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I wish I could go back in time and tell my 10-years-younger self some of these facts.

"Yes, Justice League is going to be a colossal disappointment that'll be outgrossed by a wacky third Thor movie."
"What?!"
"Don't worry.... AQUAMAN is going to save DC movies and become their biggest hit ever."

I honestly think Shazam could also outgross Justice League.

The success of Aquaman and potentially Shazam will only show how much potential was left on the table with Justice League.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Poor logic. I guess Transformers: Age of Extinction is a a competently made film that did something right since it made a billion.

No, JL is a terrible film that, much like BvS, fails on almost every level of film making. I don't know why you've decided to argue with me over something as silly as this. JL is terrible, Aquaman is mediocre, Wonder Woman is great. (I have a feeling Shazam will also be great.)

... How in the world would I be threatening you? I have zero idea how you took it that way.

I'm not replying to you again here. PM me if you want to keep arguing. Otherwise, please stop trying to pick fights with me over nonsense.

I don't think it's nonsense to point of the hypocrisy, considering your posting habits, of literally coming into a thread celebrating Aquaman's success with off-topic fanboy shit. But ok you do you mate.

Maybe, but to the point where it surpasses three of the most iconic superheroes of all time? I didn't know audiences were that thirsty for... water.

we are living in the wackiest timeline *shrug*

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
The studios must have upped their game at marketing. To see middling films like this or venom doing so well at the box office, or a film like black panther riding a "right on" wave and doing much better then you would expect (taking into account the prior popularity of the character).

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically China right? Looks like unremarkable domestic numbers.

I sense salt.

The only outlier was Wonder Woman and that's understandable. But Aquaman will pass BvS which is the second biggest DC movie domestically, I don't think it'd be qualified as unremarkable. China is only 300m, the wrest of the world will account for nearly 500m soon.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
These tears about other markets around the world watching our movies is fucking childish. You don't own them. The studios do and they can sell them wherever people are that want to watch them when you obviously do not.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

WW is the definition of mediocre. Chris Pine saves that movie. The action scenes are incredibly weak and laughably bad as far as concept (Wonder Woman tanking a gattling fun with her tiny shield and the final fight both terrible)

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
WW is the definition of mediocre. Chris Pine saves that movie. The action scenes are incredibly weak and laughably bad as far as concept (Wonder Woman tanking a gattling fun with her tiny shield and the final fight both terrible)
I loved No Man's Land (also because of the amazing OST) *shrug* And do you hold Captain America's "tiny shield" to the same standard? Don't see a difference between the two. (Not wanting to pick any Marvel vs. DC fights, just seems like a weird nitpick to me)

I also don't get the people calling Aquaman's action mediocre. WTF. The final battle was NUTS and everything else was really well choreographed as well I felt (also thanks to the awesome camerawork and CGI combo).

What a fun ride Aquaman was.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I dunno. I look at it in the same way I do Black Panther -- a great movie with lackluster final fight. Yes, I put BP above Wonder Woman as a whole but I still thought WW was awesome.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Why does every superhero movie discussion in off-topic have to devolve into warz? Really puts me off of discussing them besides the MCU/DCEU OT

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Like Justice League didn't come out that long ago but it looks so much worse than Aquaman. Aquaman's CG is on a whole new level.

I fucking loved Aquaman. I wish any of the other DC movies could have been half as fun, aside from Wonder Woman which was mostly perfect.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. Get that morose crap from Comic book films.

Oct 25, 2017
The studios must have upped their game at marketing. To see middling films like this or venom doing so well at the box office, or a film like black panther riding a "right on" wave and doing much better then you would expect (taking into account the prior popularity of the character).

You don't hit a billion if you're movie isn't enjoyable. Good marketing or not.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It is.

Nothing stellar about the script or acting, but the visuals are far above 'mediocre', the action scenes are far above mediocre, and it's one of the only superhero films where the third act is actually better than the rest of the film, which makes it pretty unique.

If you want to say it's not amazing, not Earth shattering, not mind blowing, not game changing, not a once in a lifetime experience. That it isn't a best picture contender. That it won't set the medium, or even the genre on fire? All absolutely true.

But it's well above 'very mediocre',

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Aquaman does what it set out to do better than TDKR imo, I don't hate Roses but I'm baffled anyone would rank it as one of the best superhero films ever. Would be nowhere near my top 10 list

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is all just a warm up for whatever underwater extravaganza James Cameron is cooking up with Avatar 2.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the DC flicks since rises. And tbh more than the other superhero flicks last year aside from the animated ones and black panther.

Went all out with the underwater world and rockstar aquaman worked

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Like Justice League didn't come out that long ago but it looks so much worse than Aquaman. Aquaman's CG is on a whole new level.

I fucking loved Aquaman. I wish any of the other DC movies could have been half as fun, aside from Wonder Woman which was mostly perfect.
Remember JL was almost entirely reshot at the last minute by one of the worst visual directors in the business, so it's not quite an even comparison

Wan and his team did incredible work with the VFX and cinematography. Definitely one of the best looking comic flicks

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I really enjoyed Aquaman. Yes it was fairly basic, but it had some awesome action scenes and top tier custome design and cgi. Seeing Atlantis on the big screen was great and that final fight/war was worth the admission alone. I thought most of the actors delivered even though the script and dialogue was rather weak. Probably the worst part of the movie.

My favorite and least favorite part was Black Manta. I'm a huge fan of the character and the design was perfect. Sometimes i wish they wouldn't spoil things in trailers, because it would have been so cool to realize that he is Manta and seeing him first time in the cinema.

But my god was he awful outside his costume. Generic storyline, shitty dialogue and bad acting. On top of that it was just weird how he made the suit himself from Atlantean technology and then suddenly became Black Manta. But he just stuck out like a sore thumb because every other actor could at least "act their way out" of the mediocre script.

Not gonna lie. I wouldn't mind a recast of the character when we see him again. Probably in the Aquaman sequel, Legion of Doom or something like that.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If 15-20 years ago, you would have said that Aquaman would be the highest grossing DC film, I'd have laughed in your face.