• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
It was alright, the visuals and action were definitely this movie's greatest strength but the exposition overload was a real problem. Could've also done without the music cues and explosions that capped off every scene with characters talking. A sequel could really be an improvement if they pair this director with a better script, the actors were all good but man, they need better dialogue to work with.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
This was super fun, and very pretty. Most of the CG looked damn solid, IMO. Mamoa came off as natural. Didn't feel like he was faking it. Definitely good.

Oct 28, 2017
The Annabelle cameo was cute, goes to show how close the creative teams of the DC superhero and WB horror movies are now. I bet she'll show up again in Shazam next year.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it. Specific points:

- Momoa is the hottest man ever. I was dying when he used the classic suit at the end.
- the amount of different settings and effects, creature designs and costumes is really impressive and looked really interesting. I loved mostly everything safe for Manta's awful helmet, that really looked out of place in the movie.
- they could've cut about 30 min because it really felt too long and bloated at times.
- Movie was fun. It was cheesy and light-hearted but the world building it does and the characters are charismatic enough. It was very anime-like in some way and with some tropes and plot points.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Half of me would like a tighter script for the sequel.

The other half loved the cheese and want more!

Wan definitely elevated the script, but it still all worked for me.

The sequel would benefit from a tighter run time, as we've had the world set up now. Less jokes, a few were forced. Apart from the Pitbull song I LOVED the music here - Arthur and Manta themes are standout.

Infact look how Arthur's theme elevates this scene from a mediocre movie

I hope Shazam has an equally great theme. Arthur, Wonder Woman, Superman all have GOAT tier themes in the DCEU. Lex and Batman themes from BvS are also dope.

Irmavep

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was basically a big budget tokusatsu. The framing of the fights, the costumes, the "bad" acting, I loved every minute of it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Had moderate expectations that were well exceeded. I loved the cheese. If they had toned it down it would have been like the Inhumans TV show.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
I liked this movie quite a bit. James Wan took the cheese and ran with it. Momoa is obviously having a great time, the action was amazing, and the CG was solid (except for the de-aging).

Some highlights for me were
the Manta montage, the italy set piece, Arthur's Trident rising during his kiss with Mera and the Chtulu scenes.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it earlier tonight. It went about as I expected. Boring and a complete waste of time. Always thought Aquaman was lame and this movie did not change my overall opinion of the character

Oct 27, 2017
The long shot action is some of the best I've ever seen. Like hands down. I know it was mostly cg but even the illusion of a nice long shot is cool.

The world building and set pieces were great too.

Unfortunately the acting was corny as fuck and not self aware to make up for it, which drags the whole spectacle down

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today and guess it was alright. I know it is difficult to have water effects, but it really made the whole movie look like everyone was CG.

I did like the color used throughout. For the most part enjoyed the action. The jokes were all cheesy and nothing was written or delivered well enough for me to laugh at, so that is a bummer.

Where did his outfit come from? Looked like parts of it were from the Kings armor, but the gold just showed up.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
The Annabelle cameo was cute, goes to show how close the creative teams of the DC superhero and WB horror movies are now. I bet she'll show up again in Shazam next year.

I'd suspect that's more a Wan thing than a WB thing, yeah? He did something similar in

Dead Silence, where Billy the Puppet from Saw makes a cameo in a house(?) of puppets

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it for a second time today and yep still enjoyed it by far my favorite DC film its also the firsttime my friends and i have all agreed a film was fantastic, even my friends on social media are all talking about it and loving it, WB got a hit on there hands with this one hope the sequel if it gets one is just as good.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Crosspost from my thread because I couldn't find this one for some reason, woops.

I wrote a full review here, (check it out, I don't get paid to write my blog, I just want people to read it), but here's some snippets of what I took away from this film.

Aquaman-Jason-Momoa-Council-of-Kings-SR.jpg

Let me begin with a disclaimer; I am no comic book fan. I have not seen every superhero movie. I have definitely missed quite a few of the DC movies. I never saw Wonder Woman, Man of Steel, or Batman vs. Superman, having them exist to me only in terms of what I've heard others say or how they've been ingrained in the public consciousness.

However, I do enjoy a good one.

Aquaman was amazing.

We see Arthur grow up as the half-human son of a lighthouse keeper and Queen Atlanta of Atlantis, who I can only describe as Galadriel from Lord of the Rings with a big ass trident and water powers. Which is interesting, because the other Atlantians have like, space age plasma guns and shit instead of swords and tridents. But I'll get to that later.

Early on in his life, his mother is ambushed by said Atlantians. She manages to fend them off like the badass the writers want to portray her as, but decides by her own will to leave her human husband and go back to Atlantis. She fled the kingdom to escape an arranged marriage, and stayed on the surface because she found true love, but comes to the realization that she must go back and accept this marriage if her true loved ones are to remain safe. And so she makes the noble sacrifice of leaving her family.

First of all, it's great that the badass in this situation is the wife, the queen and not the king. It's great that she shows agency and capability from the beginning. I think we need more awesome warrior women in movies, if you ask me.

Anyway, she goes back to Atlantis and has another son with arranged marriage guy named Orm.

Oh yeah, Orm is also a psycho who wants to wage war on the surface and subjugate the earth. That's why Arthur eventually ends up deciding he has to claim the throne to Atlantis, despite not wanting to at first.

And so the crux of the movie is set in place. Tradition vs. change. Lineage vs. inherent worth. Accepting responsibility for one's place in life.

Those are all portrayed through the conflict between Arthur and Orm. Brother vs. brother is the central theme of the movie, and all other themes and motifs flow from there.

I fucking love this. There's something about a good brotherly conflict that's intensely appealing on an innate level, especially if the antagonist brother is evil, and especially if the antagonist brother is set up to be more capable and in control than the hero brother. Which he is, here.

The history of this aquatic world is fascinating. The ancient Atlantis that existed above the sea, why it fell, how it fractured into seven kingdoms, how some of those kingdoms fell and others changed and, in the end, only a few were left. How there was an ancient super-king who wielded (what was essentially) a holy trident and ruled the unified Atlantis.

The Atlantians and their offshoots are supremely technologically advanced. They basically wear cool water-themed spacesuits and shoot plasma and wield plasma swords and whips and the like. They have robots and spacecrafts and cities that glow beneath the waves, rife with technology the surface can only dream of.

Each remaining kingdom is explored and plays a role in the story. They're not just background fluff.

You see them all. Every last one plays a large role in the story, even the one that no longer exists. Even red-hair's kingdom feels distinctly different from Orm's traditional Atlantis, and his citizens look different and carry different styles of weapons and ride different vehicles.

Arthur's journey of self-discovery, his journey to defeat his brother and visit the other kingdoms and find the lost trident of the old king, is made extremely enjoyable not only because we are sold on him as a character through Momoa's great acting and the unique take on an established character, but because of the world that he inhabits.

The luminous cities, the advanced armor, the character design, the vehicles, the weapons, the set pieces of giant tidal waves and huge krakens and battles between underwater armies all feel fully realized and fully unique. They also feel colorful and vibrant and alive, all while adhering to DC's "heavier" feel. It adapts to the new style without compromising the color of the classic style. A job well done on the part of the artists and special effects teams.

I especially love how everything underwater glows with the natural glow you'd see in the depths of the ocean, from the flora and fauna down there. Even the tech in the vehicles looks like that, like a jellyfish all lit up or the end of an anglerfish's lantern. It feels advanced and organic.

If I were to describe the art style in one word, it would be fusion. A fusion of old and new, natural and technical, industrial and organic.

The movie is one of my favorites this year.
The only other DC movies I've seen are Suicide Squad and Justice League. This one felt like it came from an entirely different franchise. It was coherently written, had naturally flowing dialogue, underlying themes and motifs that resonated with me, and a hero's journey that was simultaneously traditional and modern.
TL;DR it was a great movie for a casual comic book fan like myself, and nothing at all like the other DC movies I saw. It came as a great surprise to me as to how much I enjoyed it.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Saw it today and we all enjoyed it. My expectations were not very high going in so I was pleasantly surprised. I saw the preview for Shazam and I'm less optimistic about that but I'm open to being surprised again.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Was fun but really too long. Too much exposition and lot of needless scenes for such a packed story. The whole Sahara segment felt so pointless, very dragged out for not much to come out of it. Also the CG was good, but so much felt pointlessly cg green screened. Most of the land segments just looked so fake

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Saw it today and guess it was alright. I know it is difficult to have water effects, but it really made the whole movie look like everyone was CG.

I did like the color used throughout. For the most part enjoyed the action. The jokes were all cheesy and nothing was written or delivered well enough for me to laugh at, so that is a bummer.

Where did his outfit come from? Looked like parts of it were from the Kings armor, but the gold just showed up.

I think they used CG liberally for older actors in flashbacks to make them look younger and for hair in water. Beautiful movie but they used so much CG that I can see this showing age in 10 years.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I thought the movie was great. Am I the only one who thinks the manta costume was horrible ??

Hubologist

Nov 1, 2017
Just came back and thought it was a pretty fun ride overall. Probably my favorite DC movie that isn't in the Nolan Batman universe. I agree it felt a touch long (the Mera/Aquaman arc dragged on), but otherwise they did a good job.

The villain played The Owl in Watchmen, right?

Dalinaar The costume is faithful to the comic books. I agree it looks goofy, but I appreciated how accurate the movie version was!

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just came back and thought it was a pretty fun ride overall. Probably my favorite DC movie that isn't in the Nolan Batman universe. I agree it felt a touch long (the Mera/Aquaman arc dragged on), but otherwise they did a good job.

The villain played The Owl in Watchmen, right?

Yup, he's also in The Conjuring movies, also directed by James Wan.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie earlier today - wow, I thought it was incredible & didn't feel overly long or poorly paced at all. Was a bit disappointed with Black Manta though, hopefully he'll be returning for the sequel in a much more integral role. Jason Momoa is great fun in the title role & overall some of the more cheesier acting in the film didn't deter from it. This is an inherently comic book ass-comic book film & truly embraces its corny, cartoony nature. The movie turns into a truly impressive over-the-top, colorful CGI-fest in its last 30 minutes & I enjoyed every minute of it.

My favorite DC movie of the Snyderverse for sure with Wonder Woman right below. Can't wait to watch it again.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. Loved it!!!! Cab someone tell me how that guy from the Conjuring looks the same as he did in the Watchmen? Dude doesn't age.

The effects looks really amazing. Loved those armored seahorses.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from the theater. This is a hell of a ride. I loved it. Didn't feel overly long to me at all, I was glued to my seat.

Just below Wonder Woman in my DCEU rankings. World's above SS and JL.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This movie went from great to the best thing ever when they showed giant turtles. This movie was eye candy during my Imax showing and I would have loved it if they had made the last fight longer.

And don't forget armored sea horses and sharks with frikken laser beams.

I enjoyed this movie big time.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda had a blast with this. It does feel too long though and it certainly doesn't differentiate itself plot-wise from the other superhero flicks we tend to see but the bombastic Star Wars prequels/'sci fi b-movie with a budget' designs for the underwater world was cool.

They even gave us a live action Mr. Krabs lmao

Plus I personally really liked Momoa as Aquaman. Things like that bar scene hold this dude as the most relatable superhero short of Spiderman. Appreciate that he basically got to keep his rockstar look and the costume at the end looked freaking great on him as well. Lames can stay crying but this dude is a fantastic choice for the part.

Oh and Wan flopped so hard with putting Pittbull music in here but also I really dug that he made a suit-up scene cut to Depeche Mode. That was a bizarre but welcome surprise.

Didn't expect to think this but I'm looking forward to a sequel.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And don't forget armored sea horses and sharks with frikken laser beams.

I enjoyed this movie big time.
I love what they did with the sea horse. First thing I did when it was shown was looks what fins to make them swim better since they are known to be shitty swimmers, thankfully they had additional fins. In my viewing someone in Dr Evil voice screamed that out, it was a good time.

I won't lie to you, during the whole fight I was lobster. The sound of the shells being broken into was just making crave it, sad part is I'm allergic to shellfish.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
This was probably the most comic book movie of all time, it was just corny beyond all reason and didn't give a shit. The action and just speed of the fights were awesome as well, is it a good movie, not at all, but kudos to them for making a big budget SYFY movie. Easily the most enjoyable dceu movie.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda had a blast with this. It does feel too long though and it certainly doesn't differentiate itself plot-wise from the other superhero flicks we tend to see but the bombastic Star Wars prequels/'sci fi b-movie with a budget' designs for the underwater world was cool.

Plus I personally really liked Momoa as Aquaman. Things like that bar scene hold this dude as the most relatable superhero short of Spiderman. Appreciate that he basically got to keep his rockstar look and the costume at the end looked freaking great on him as well. Lames can stay crying but this dude is a fantastic choice for the part.

Oh and Wan flopped so hard with putting Pittbull music in here but also I really dug that he made a suit-up scene cut to Depeche Mode. That was a bizarre but welcome surprise.

Didn't expect to think this but I'm looking forward to a sequel.
Sometimes I swear to god u are my alt or I'm urs, idk why I even post if imma post the same shit as u lmao.

Momoa is a God, I can think of very few tentpole actors more charismatic as him fr, I just wish he had some more stuff to chew on that wasn't exposition.

Dude could be bigger than Chris Pratt for the GA laughs if he had some better jokes to land.

I think my main two gripes with the movie are that it's pretty long and sometimes the CGI is just a lil too much, like idk why they couldn't use some stunt guys/girls for at least some of the hand to hand stuff, the sub bit was good.

Still the CGI and visuals where pretty good considering just how much of the movie is outlandish shit lmao.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today, thought it was great. The running time kinda worried me but it didn't feel that long to me. I agree with the above that Momoa is a really charismatic mofo and he needed some funnier one liners, or at least next time don't spoil all of them in the fucking trailer.

Oct 28, 2017
"This was a competent, well-made movie."
"This movie gets the character stuff right, and the visuals and action scenes are competent."

*gets filtered through galaxy brain*

Redlettermedia tore this to shreds ha.

Neither of them recommend it and spent 25 min of the segment shitting on the acting across the board and pointing out how it's derivative of like 4 different popular properties.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw that movie.
IT was w/e.

But like the fuck was up with Ocean Masters hair? How did that work?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
It was ok. Love the visuals and most of the fights, but man the story is a drag most of the time. Also Amber Heard acting was alot worse than Momoa. Better than Justice League for sure, but worse than Wonder Woman except for the actions and visuals.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall liked it, border patrol security bit was extremely odd.

Also some of the mongrel stuff and only royal bloods being able to breath above the water was super odd given the breach kingdom people were totally fine above water, and just that not making any sense at all. Definitely some odd bits. Also the redheads dye job was straight up awful. Like I don't see how they could have done that given the budget of the movie.

Also Momoa wearing jeans makes zero sense and his overall character is a bit too bro for me. He's super generic.

But mainly I liked the very fantasy heavy approach, very cool visuals, especially the flare scene going down into the breach, cool battles and fights, and I liked Kidman and Patrick Wilson a lot.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yikes. I thought it was a massive misfire and i was kinda looking forward to it, due to Wan. There were some great visual flourishes and two key sequences i genuinely liked (the trench and the rooftop chase) . The actors had terrible chemistry and the screenplay was bogged down with exposition and awful dialogue. I enjoy cheese, but this wasn't tonally self aware enough to make some of the corny lines work.