• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only good DC movie, great even, the diversity of creatures and kingdoms make it rich in terms of places to go.

The music was great except for that guitar riff that I assume Is a leftover for the Snyder era and that "humor" theme that felt like bootleg Koji Kondo.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah Taylor has three mediocre films in a row, John Carter, Battleship & Lone Survivor.

I'm still pissed off that I watched a Battleship movie that at NO point does anyone exclaim, you sank my Battleship.

Too many movies want to act seriously with their dumb concepts instead of leaning into the dumb. Like Geostorm!

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
I'm still pissed off that I watched a Battleship movie that at NO point does anyone exclaim, you sank my Battleship.

Too many movies want to act seriously with their dumb concepts instead of leaning into the dumb. Like Geostorm!

But how they incorporated the actual battleship game mechanics into the film was just a beautiful piece of eye rolling nonsense. I remember the entire cinema groaned when they realised what was happening.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Only good DC movie, great even, the diversity of creatures and kingdoms make it rich in terms of places to go.

The music was great except for that guitar riff that I assume Is a leftover for the Snyder era and that "humor" theme that felt like bootleg Koji Kondo.
If you didn't like Wonder Woman it's hard to take this seriously.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
To anyone who will watch the movies: take attention to how many times people are thrown around because of a explosion.

Just something funny in this movie. Hopefully someone will meme it...

Oct 25, 2017
The Sahara bit was just okay, I really loved the whole Italy part though.

The trench and thereafter is all great.

I liked the Indiana Jones feel of it.

I think the Sahara stuff is enjoyable (and it has some good character moments), but it is hurt somewhat by coming right after the amazing first Atlantis bit and being followed by the Sicily scenes. Compared to those, it's much less visually compelling (although the Kingdom of the Deserters looked really nice). From the arrival in Sicily through the end of the movie I don't think there's really a dull moment.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Sahara stuff is enjoyable (and it has some good character moments), but it is hurt somewhat by coming right after the amazing first Atlantis bit and being followed by the Sicily scenes. Compared to those, it's much less visually compelling (although the Kingdom of the Deserters looked really nice). From the arrival in Sicily through the end of the movie I don't think there's really a dull moment.
Yeah I agree.

The only shaky moment for me was the submarine section. Although by the end of the movie Arthur realises his mistake, I couldn't feel sympathy for Manta or his father.

Trench sequence is the standout for me. Visually stunning and tense throughout.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I saw this last night and loved it. I was impressed by the trailer but I wasn't sure if it would actually all come together or not. It is totally batshit insane and I so much fun. There is real craft on display too with some incredibly striking visuals (Atlantis, the Trench) and some great action setpieces. The score was pretty great at times too.

Easily the best DC movie yet.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it.

The part where they get the trident, that first scene where they come above water was the double of the comic panel, so I knew what happened next lol

Mera's outfit made it hard to concentrate 👀

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Suprised to see that it was not a dumpster fire!

Some great fight choreography, some good tracks on the soundtrack, ILM was given all the money in the world to do great CGI. Black Manta was great and i want a solo film from him! :D

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Reflecting on the last third of the film, I think its up there with the very best in any CBM.

It comes together wonderfully. The LotR-esque sequence and final confrontation between Orm and Arthur is very well done with amazing cinematography and CGI throughout.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Spoiler, but set video of a scene that didn't make it in the movie.

At the beginning when Mera approaches Arthur, a drunk guy approaches Mera and she splashes the beer out of his bottle.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that third act was the most bonkers thing I've seen in a comic book superhero movie in forever. Really liked this one.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Willens is one of the coolest movie related youtubers out there. Check out his channel if you haven't:

His Aquaman The Teen Drama short episodes are absolutely glorious:

And while I disagree with him that Aquaman is a better film than Infinity War, it's way closer than anyone could be possibly expecting.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Watching it!

It's surprisingly decent. I didn't love it nor hate it. I think it has great moments and moments that felt unnecessary. It's a mixed bag but overall I liked it. I find it hilarious how self aware this movie is such as calling out the names of villains which is great for people who aren't fans but me and a few of my other friends who are big into the comic scene groaned a bit because it happened twice. The action scenes are good and the visuals are amazing. I think this movie is a fine popcorn flick but lacks a good paced structure or even having the movie flow from scene to scene. Ocean Master is pretty cliche villain kinda hate him. He makes a comment in the film that annoyed me because his motivation on why he hates Arthur is bad. Once again me and my friend looked at each other and he asked me, he does know babies don't have a choice of being born...Black Manta is great! Love him! And his reason for hating Aquaman makes sense because he was a dick in the situation. I just think overall this movie has a lot of great things going for it but it's just scraping the surface of a good sequel. If you're going into it expecting a great story with a good main antagonist just lower your expectations. Does this movie seem to redeem the universe they created? Not really but it's a step in the right direction. I would say it's slighty worse then the first thor because of the chemistry is better in thor. Visuals are great but they're meaningless if it has no substance. I would give this a 6/10

Ranking: Wonder Woman (7.5), Man of Steel (7.5) , Aquaman (6), Justice League (6-5.5), Batman V Superman (5.5), Suicide Squad (5)

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
This movie was good, on par with Wonder Woman.

Visually.. It was stunning, full actions package and the action was well filmed, especially the one shot type of filming that reminded me to the Kingsman movies.

Jason Momoa nailed the character, Princess Mera got my heartbeat stopped for like a second every time she showed up out of the water wearing THAT green Atlant dress ..

The story was okay, there was a good sense of adventure. The best act of the movie was without doubt the "Third Act"

which starts in Italy and ends after THAT amazing chasing scene under water with those thousands of creatures

About the villains, Black Mantha was all right, the action scene in Italy was the best action part of the movie.

The only problem I had with this movie was this massive battle scene. I thought the battle scene just appeared out of nowhere without any fucking built up behind it; like they were obliged to just end this movie with massive battle epicness before they even started writting the movie script.

The massive battle was visually all right, but dude... It just felt meeeh after all we had seen, and no having a built up made it feel stale in my sincere opinion.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, Black Manta was superfluous to the overall story.
His part in this movie is pretty much just setup for a sequel.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Enjoyed the movie, it was full cheese mode at times but it worked for the movie. Biggest negative is that trash Pitbull track was a legit "what the fuck am I hearing" moment.

Pacote

Oct 25, 2017
São Paulo
Just watched what an awesome ANIME that was.

My god that was 150% pure over the top gold!

This is the poster that defines the movie

IMG_20181130_070348.jpg

Nov 13, 2017
Did anyone else notice how much Mera looks like Ariel from The Little Mermaid?

Princess, red hair, green scales, pink dress...your move, Disney!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I still love how close to the comics DC films keep.

Like I said, theres one part of the movie that is exactly like a comic two page spread, so much so, I knew what was going to happen next lol

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this with the Mrs. last night, we were both 'eh' after finishing it. The movie is just decent. 6/10 at best.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was a wild and enjoyable romp. Really had a good time with the movie and felt it was the most consistent and harmonic DCU movie to date. Only thing that bugged me a little was the humor. I felt it was kinda too try hard sometimes. But yeah, highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good superhero flick.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it earlier tonight, not bad at all. Solid 7/10.

Really enjoyed it, and the feels are real for Atlanna and Thomas. I thought that was well-executed.

Fight choreography in this was damn good, coupled with great camera work made for some great scenes.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it

I liked it quite a bit, I don't think it's nearly as tight of a film as Wonder Woman. Didn't think it was paced that great but the spectacle is nuts and an achievement in itself

I think it's a bit too goofy for it's own good but I appreciate that they really went for it.

Some weird bits of CG (some of the human models, especially early on, have a weird framey look to them?) but some really striking visuals. One scene in particular was an obvious Alex Ross homage, looked gorgeous.

Movie ends strong as hell. Sure, there's a big CG mess fight for the sake of it but you gotta appreciate them just going all out

I really liked the original score but it got a bit obnoxious with some of the licensed music popping up at new scenes. Not Suicide Squad levels of terrible in that regard, but I think there was definitely a stretch of like 3 scenes in close proximity where they did it and it was a bit annoying. Was surprised that they went for a more cyberpunky synth soundtrack but I dug it a lot

I think the Aqua Parents relationship is strong overall but the scenes in the opening are kind of awkward. It doesn't help that the de-aging makeup makes the dad look unnatural as hell

Mera was awesome, glad she gets plenty of shine throughout the film

I wouldn't call it a great movie but it's worth seeing? Probably?